• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Space Force” - Netflix show, Steve Carell,

Watched some further episodes, and I am still baffled about all that comedic potential that is definitely existing in there.
It still feels to me like the writers had some good and valid ideas, it's just executed in a completely wrong way.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I clawed my way through the second episode. Who thought this was funny? Other comedies manage to do 10 seasons with 22 episodes each and they are all funny, yet here the fun ends halfway through the first episode of a 10 episode season. What?

finowns

Ya not that funny. The chimp scene was ok and Steve Carell does the best he can but it’s all flat. I did like his speech to Congress about the cost of an orange.

mcjmetroid

Ah cmon now it's not that bad Jesus. It has its moments. I would like to see them try a series 2 to iron out a few bits.

Lose fuck Tony anyway. Very annoying character that doesn't work.

I'm about 8 episodes in and I like the dramatic parts and the episodes do start to get better. Plus there is the mystery of why his wife got arrested.

It has potential going forward. Remember series 1 of the office wasn't great either. In fact a lot of comedy series don't start amazing in series 1.

scalman

Just finished to watch , its kinda stupid and merica but funny too so its fine for me i dont expect nothing from it so was ok. But so stupid that its funny haha.

Okay, I am at Episode 7 now, which I finished watching.
I have to change my stance on it a bit.

While it's still not in any way a good comedy (although it has a few bits that are okayish, imo), it kind of works for me as a drama. if that makes sense.

I like the beginning friendship between Mark and Adrian, the relationship Mark has with his daughter Eryn, that slow reveal what happened to the mother, that fling Mark has with the construction worker lady while he is aware that he is married and shouldn't feel like that, Eryn's flirting with the dumb soldier, chinese scientist and the black lady etc.

I think this show doesn't have much brains, but I kind of start to see the heart in it.

H4ze

The first two episodes ain't that good, that's true, but god damn I loved the series at the end. Finished it yesterday and I really hope it gets more seasons.
Don't get all the hate, I like the characters and laughed quit a lot.

Melon Husk

Stiflers Mom is right. The show isn't funny but the drama bits work. Thanks to decent casting and realistic character motivations it has a heart.

Watched all of it now, and I have to completely reverse my initial take on it.
Yep, the comedy bits in the early episodes don't really work, but fortunately they lessen that a bit in the later episodes (kind of how Orville started being a comedy, and is now oldschool Trek).
And the drama stuff works.
By episode 10 I really cared about the protagonists, which are really likable imo, and I would be really bummed out if the show was canceled.

I don't remember when that happened the last time to me that I really hated a show at the beginning, but was loving it in the end. Usually it's hit or miss from the first episode these days.

If you guys just watched the first few episodes, please give this a chance.
It really gets good (though still not really hilariously funny or anything) after episode 5.

Pagusas

Elden Member
First few episodes were bad, but the last few were good. Things really got good regarding the whole married and dating angle, enjoyed that a ton.

Hopefully it can pull a Parks and Rec or Office, where the first seasons mostly sucked, but they laid the ground work for a lot more. Parks and Rec had a worse start than Space Force and look at how amazing that turned out.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
First few episodes were bad, but the last few were good. Things really got good regarding the whole married and dating angle, enjoyed that a ton.

Hopefully it can pull a Parks and Rec or Office, where the first seasons mostly sucked, but they laid the ground work for a lot more. Parks and Rec had a worse start than Space Force and look at how amazing that turned out.

I'm working through Parks and Rec at the moment - the first series was indeed terrible, but from series 2 onwards it definitely becomes much more fun. Not quite US Office levels of brilliant but pretty decent. That said, that was before comedy became illegal...

lock2k

Banned
I think it has some pretty good ideas but it's not executed in a good way.

I saw everything because I love Steve Carell but I thought that, most of the time, it was like seeing Michael Scott detached from the Office and working in a military place. Totally out of place.

Binge watched the whole thing yesterday. The comedy felt off to me, didn't really laugh much. Also, the daughter is a cunt and I hated her scenes completely. I get it that some people can relate to disrespectful children or whatever but that shit turns me off.

I think this show would've worked better if they focused on the drama/serious aspects, I found some of that stuff to be pretty compelling but the uneven tone kills it.

Fbh

Ok for some reason I watched all of it. The first episode wasn't too bad and I guess the stellar cast just had me hoping it would get good.

The humor mostly falls flat and a lot of the characters aren't very good (I agree the daughter sucks), but mostly I think the tone and style seem uneven. It's like it can't quite decide what it wants to be, sometimes it feels like it wants to be a drama with comedy touches, then just dumb humor, then satire. It can't even seem to make up its mind about Space Force, some episodes it actually feels like the show is arguing in favor of space force and the values of space exploration, then in others it comes across as dumb and a waste of money.

I think this show would've worked better if they focused on the drama/serious aspects, I found some of that stuff to be pretty compelling but the uneven tone kills it.

Yeah I think it could have been compelling as more of a drama with comedy touches.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I finished Space Force season 1 back when it first came out and looking back at my Criticker profile I, apparently, gave it a 70/100. From what I remember at least I liked it more than some.

However I turned off season 2 after the second episode. It's incredibly weak and the only joke that got a chuckle out of me was the Jets winning the Superbowl bit. Otherwise it's filled with more juvenile "having to appeal to everyone without offending people"-type humour and you can see the "woke" creep in in almost every scene now. When Patton Oswalt appeared I just laughed to myself and turned it off soon after. It's not a badly made show by any means and it's certainly watchable but for me this type of humour is just too mindnumbingly dull. Some might get enjoyment out of it but again it's not my cup of tea any more.

Last edited:

It starts poor but gets better. The VR scene and update issue had me in stitches. 1st season was better though. You can watch it in an evening. There are worse things to do.

Top Bottom