• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Space Force” - Netflix show, Steve Carell,

There were no funny moments in the trailer. 🤨

763018.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
There were no funny moments in the trailer. 🤨
It's true. I didn't take the time to watch the 2nd trailer yet, but that first one doesn't convince me that the show is even a comedy.

I guess when he starts singing a Beach Boys song, my brain knows that it's supposed to be comedy, but no part of me can understand why that is funny to someone. It's like a really bad Melissa McCarthy road trip comedy movie where the "joke" is that she's singing in her car! LOL wow amazing!

Rolling Stone gives it 2 out of 5 stars

‘Space Force’ Review: Netflix Comedy Suffers Failure to Launch

In this new series based on President Trump’s proposed interstellar military branch, Steve Carell’s four-star general is too noxious to be true

52 on RT so far

IndieWire seems to think it is OK

‘Space Force’ Review: Steve Carell’s Netflix Comedy Is Glitzy, Frivolous Fun

Carell's sitcom return isn't Netflix's Michael Scott Paper Company to NBC's "The Office," or even a "Veep"-like political satire, but instead a very pretty farce.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't really put a lot of stock into reviews, but the trailers didn't do anything to sell the show. Some of the sets looked like something you'd see on the CW and not a single joke was funny. The concept sounded hilarious, but this may just be a bit of an embarrassment for Carell.

Arkam

This looks horrible. It’s a Netflix original, so it will most likely be.

Maybe its just cuz I havent started drinking yet today... but I feel the same way. Looks like (semi-political) propaganda entertainment. If I am bored I might give it a one episode sniff. I think Steve Carell can be hularious so there is a chance.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Seemed cringe from the trailer and will prolly skip it. The premise is uninteresting anyway. Wonder if we'll ever get another hilarious sitcom ever again. B99 is still funny but even that one is slowly losing its flame.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I hate when "kids" in US shows look like the mid-20 actress that plays them. Does Disney have all 16 year olds under contract?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Seemed cringe from the trailer and will prolly skip it. The premise is uninteresting anyway. Wonder if we'll ever get another hilarious sitcom ever again. B99 is still funny but even that one is slowly losing its flame.

The lack of good comedy right now is sadly an inevitable consequence of the fear that the woke have created. If you're afraid to offend then it becomes impossible to make anything funny.

Fbh

It's out.

Reviews are pretty terrible but I don't always agree with them (The Good Place seems to be universally adored but I find it painfully unfunny).

First chapter was Ok, it did get a couple of light chuckles out of me though it did feel rather light on the comedy. I'll give it some more chapters though.

sobaka770

Banned
Bad reviews, bad trailer - Netflix has a knack for putting a great thing on paper and not quite getting it right lately. How can this not be a slam-dunk?

JLMC469

Banned
It’s a Netflix original comedy series. The chances that it was going to be crap were huge :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

They only thing that is consistent is the docs. Even the movies are bad.

Stouffers

Banned
It's out.

Reviews are pretty terrible but I don't always agree with them (The Good Place seems to be universally adored but I find it painfully unfunny).

First chapter was Ok, it did get a couple of light chuckles out of me though it did feel rather light on the comedy. I'll give it some more chapters though.
Is it worth watching?

It's out.

I am gonna try to watch it a bit tonight, thanks for the heads up

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Is it worth watching?

If you already have Netflix I'd say the first chapter is at least worth checking out. As I said, it's not great but I think some people might enjoy it. It left me with a "this was Ok as an introduction and with these characters it could be fun moving forward" feeling. Reviews are saying it just doesn't get fun but I'll give it some chapters to reach my own conclusion.

If you don't have Netflix it's definitely not worth subscribing for.

Last edited:
Watched the first three episodes drunk with a friend.

It has its moments. I liked the chimp stuff.
Generally, it's not really funny though.

It feels like it's trying to push all the right triggers, but it just doesn't add up to something funny in the end.

It's like all these ideas sounded fun when writing them, it just doesn't translate to the screen.

The timing is all wrong.

Kadayi

Banned
Hard pass. I remember everyone laughing up the idea of 'Space Force' because Trump proposed it but one person who didn't was Neil Degrasse Tyson, who said it made perfect sense in this day and age to have a dedicated military branch separate from the Air force to tackle low orbit and interplanetary issues. There's a shit tonne of Space debris from Satellites etc that such an agency could look to deal with for instance.

Baby Yoda

Neo Member
I made it to episode 5. I’m kind of left wondering how this was so bad with the talent involved. Whosever said Carrel’s voice in this makes the show worse is spot on. He and Malkovich do seem to have some chemistry but overall this is just unwatchable. Huge downgrade for Carrel after his performance in The Morning Show.

Atrus

Gold Member
I watched 3 episodes today hoping for some sort of comedic brilliance like The Office but it’s actually really bad.

It’s supposed to be a comedy but at best I managed a smirk so far and even that involved a cg chimpanzee spinning around, something which is pretty much guaranteed to amuse most people.

I didn’t come in with high expectations so I’m surprised I’m disappointed in the result.

teezzy

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but it looks like they're marketing this pretty hard. Has its own ice cream and everything

Grinchy

Banned
If you want to call them that, I guess. I don't. I think they're revolutionaries. Fuck the companies they supposedly stole from.
What did Auto Zone do to black people? Is it because tires are black and that's racist symbolism or something? When oil gets old and useless, it's black, and white people designed it that way as a racist dog whistle thought program to make people relate being useless to being black?

How far can we stretch reason and logic to come to the point where Auto Zone deserves to be destroyed because one black guy got murdered?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What did Auto Zone do to black people? Is it because tires are black and that's racist symbolism or something? When oil gets old and useless, it's black, and white people designed it that way as a racist dog whistle thought program to make people relate being useless to being black?

How far can we stretch reason and logic to come to the point where Auto Zone deserves to be destroyed because one black guy got murdered?

It’s a good thing no black people have lost their jobs because their employers got burned down. Oh wait...

Wait until the USSF puts a string of kinetic penetrators in orbit, which is quite cheap now with the Falcon Heavy compared to equivalent non-nuclear weapons. There's not a missile defense system in the world that can do a damned thing about 10 tons of dumb tungsten travelling at Mach 10.

Fbh

The thread is going off topic I see.

I'll just say, I only saw the first episode and to me it didn't really feel like it was making fun of Space Force itself. The comedy is lacking but what's there is more like "Dude gets a job he doesn't want" than "haha Space Force, so dumb". There's jabs at the military and some "haha they only think about weapons and not science" but it's hardly the main point.

Top Bottom