• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Ms. Marvel” S2 Depends On “The Marvels”

bitbydeath

That’s a shame, I didn’t mind Ms Marvel but i’m not going to force myself to watch the awful Marvels movie just to get a second season.

“We’re waiting for ‘The Marvels,’ so that will decide what the next step will be. So we’re very much looking forward to that. I can’t wait to see it, man. It’s great to see the trailers and to see the whole family back there and Iman Vellani doing great work, so looking forward to that.”

Last edited:

tkscz

Wasn't it found out that Disney bought a bunch of the tickets to make Captain Marvel look like it did better than it actually did?

I don't see people getting excited for the Marvels, I don't like the change in powers for Monica or that her importance is based on Carol. I just don't have interest in this movie.

bitbydeath

Wasn't it found out that Disney bought a bunch of the tickets to make Captain Marvel look like it did better than it actually did?

I don't see people getting excited for the Marvels, I don't like the change in powers for Monica or that her importance is based on Carol. I just don't have interest in this movie.
Don’t know about that, but they definitely mis-lead with its importance to End Game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That’s a shame, I didn’t mind Ms Marvel but i’m not going to force myself to watch the awful Marvels movie just to get a second season.

Game over pal 😆

K' Dash

Rip Pour One Out GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

No. That was a whole thing to make it look bad by triggered "bros". The movie made over a billion. I remember going to see it with my homegirl and seeing a little girl go dressed as Captain Marvel. And our theater was PACKED!

It's so weird the hate this movie gets from mostly men.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I didn't finish the first season it felt a bit too child/teen series for me from what I remember, did it pick up?

I liked Ms. Marvel quite a lot more than Captain Marvel so this feels kind of...unfair.

Same

I didn't hate Captain Marvel but compared to the rest of the Phase 3, that movie was a big disappointment

Now I really loved Ms Marvel and am hoping for a 2nd Season which I doubt it will get. Which I do find unfair. It was one of the few Phase 4 stuff I actually loved

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's not an isolated thing. There are men who genuinely seem to hate women and any media that shows them in a position of strength. She Hulk got its own male meltdown and Ben Shapiro spent a long video trashing Barbie and burning stuff.

She Hulk is trash, man. It desperately wants to be like the iconic comic series but it has none of the charm nor the wit.

And it is a shame that Tatiana Maslay, who’s a great actress, is tied to this shit show.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Is it? Superhero comics and movies are predominantly pieces of entertainment made for males.

…or at least they were.

Maybe if Disney hadn’t embarked on a strategy of lazily putting feminist messaging in narratives designed to appeal to dudes, then there wouldn’t be such a backlash against the actual movies that feature women?

Maybe, just maybe, the desertion of the audience that put them where they are in the first place wasnt such a good idea?

Last edited:
Reading this topic just made me realize the lack of interest i have on the MCU for the last few years.

It's impressive how many franchises Disney managed to kill or at least make them less interesting in just 5 years...from Star Wars to the MCU, etc...

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This admission is pretty telling; even Disney has lost faith in The Marvels being a hit otherwise S2 would have been greenlit ages ago.

Marvel14

Banned
She Hulk is trash, man. It desperately wants to be like the iconic comic series but it has none of the charm nor the wit.

And it is a shame that Tatiana Maslay, who’s a great actress, is tied to this shit show.
Fine if you don't like it...I thought it was fine...didn't love it, didn't abhor it. Liked that it tried to do something different.

But the dudes having meltdowns over it is what I don't understand. It's just a light hearted TV show and no it isn't attacking your masculinity- you're still a man, and you're still valued and important.

Liamario

Banned
Reading this topic just made me realize the lack of interest i have on the MCU for the last few years.

It's impressive how many franchises Disney managed to kill or at least make them less interesting in just 5 years...from Star Wars to the MCU, etc...
They've completely sterilised it. They should have taken a long break and then reboot with the fantastic four and X men. I like the character of Ms Marvel, but they ruined her powers and the show was not good.

bitbydeath

Fine if you don't like it...I thought it was fine...didn't love it, didn't abhor it. Liked that it tried to do something different.

But the dudes having meltdowns over it is what I don't understand. It's just a light hearted TV show and no it isn't attacking your masculinity- you're still a man, and you're still valued and important.
Wasn’t that whole show about a meltdown?
They literally erased the first 8 episodes to rage at people on the internet in the finale, it was pretty dumb and a waste of everyone’s time.

Last edited:

You're kidding me really? That show was extremely anti man and it ruined lot of the MCU going forward

Feminazis ruined another franchise lol

Last edited:

Fake

The most easy NO of the times.

That woman hate men, so this is the sittuation she created. She want to be hated, this is nothing we can do. Even her actors collegues don't like her as proved in mamy interciews they don't like staying close to her.

BTW, as she proudly mention, they don't need men to support her movie as she as a proud feminist keep telling time to time.

Women can watch her movie as well, so I don't see the problem. Women are right now in place of power, they don't need men to support her goals.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I think the response in general to She-Hulk would have been a lot less vitriolic if the standard of the MCU hadn't fucking cratered since Endgame. As it stands, it's a show that is representative of the colossal drop off in narrative quality for a once very well co-ordinated and well written franchise.

Marvel14

Banned
I think the response in general to She-Hulk would have been a lot less vitriolic if the standard of the MCU hadn't fucking cratered since Endgame. As it stands, it's a show that is representative of the colossal drop off in narrative quality for a once very well co-ordinated and well written franchise.
Now this is an argument I can get behind. But it is also true of Loki and Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I struggled through the former and couldn't watch more than two episodes of the latter.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Now this is an argument I can get behind. But it is also true of Loki and Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I struggled through the former and couldn't watch more than two episodes of the latter.

100% agree. The issue is a lot of people who immediately want to defend the MCU, no matter what the quality is like, jump on the 'women hating men' bandwagon when badly made MCU tripe like She Hulk is criticised.

Yeah, there are a few knuckle draggers out there who would have hated that show however good it was, but it was trash. Much like mostly everything the MCU has been putting out recently.

The Marvels will probably be trash too, but the excuses will start flying about misogyny when it gets torn to pieces - even when we've just had a deeply feminist movie become the highest grossing flick of the year, which was reviewed and critiqued very highly across the board.

A small number of idiots aren't the problem.

Disney is.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's funny, shouldn't Ms.Marvel be depending on its Season 1 performance?

Why it must depend on a movie?
Because it's season one performance was abyssmal. I think it was the lowest viewed marvel show and that's saying something given how many and how ho-hum most of them are.

So if The Marvels lights the world on fire and brings in lots of new fans of the character, it makes sense to continue the show. But if it pancakes, then no reason to think S2 would do any better than S1.

Barring a major revamping of the show, I think it will always be a niche audience. There just aren't any superhero comic fans clamoring for a tween girl heroine like there are fans wanting more spiderman. Much like the WNBA, there is a vocal 0.5% group that says it should exist, but they don't even support it. Disney has sunk HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in finding this out.

Unless that heroine has big tits and a skimpy costume, the actual superhero comic fanbase really doesn't care. Yah either gotta judiciously mix them in with regular male heroes or just accept that they are always gonna be a fringe sideshow at best and the budget and expectations should be set accordingly.

Now completely reframe it away from fighting big aliens/monsters, saving the world, and in general punching shit to solve problems over to relationships, interpersonal drama, internal pathos, and lots of glitter, singing, blushing cute boys, etc, then you can get the girls interested. But for the most part men want to see superheroes they think they could actually BE, and women want to see superheroes coming in to save them. I don't think very many women project themselves on to Captain Marvel and wish they too could punch through a spaceship. But they DO wish Thor would lose his shirt and make mooney eyes at them like he (kinda) does with Jane.

Lambogenie

I'd rather take a solid, better S2 than Marvels. The actress deserves better. The story just went to crap after episode 3/4. Get a good writer do S2 and forget this Marvels madness (and recast Kamran and the mum, they're terrible actors).

FeralEcho

No. That was a whole thing to make it look bad by triggered "bros". The movie made over a billion. I remember going to see it with my homegirl and seeing a little girl go dressed as Captain Marvel. And our theater was PACKED!

Maybe because the lead actress clearly showed her dissdain for men at every turn...you know just a guess...

StueyDuck

Ruh roh (said in Scooby-Doo voice)

I call bull though. She-hulk got a season 2, not a fuck does it have anything to do with ratings or viewership.

StueyDuck

You gonna have to type louder, it's hard to hear you there in resetera 🤣.

Top Bottom