• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit’ Film and Gaming Rights Up for Sale

Who buys movie/gaming/etc rights?

• Amazon

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Sony(Bungie)

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Tencent

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Apple

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Warner-Discovery

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Either Amazon or Disney will buy it.

If I’m Sony though I buy it along with CDProjekt. WRPG problem solved

Oh my God.

Can you imagine a Disney Tolkien movie?

"Nine rings to the kingdom of man,"

Samuel L Jackson: Only nine?! You must be out your DAMN mind! We need ten, just for me. Five on each finger! BLING!!!! *gives the audience a knowing wink*

Brie Larson: Nine rings to MAN? We'll just SEE about that! *bitch slaps the Witch King while orchestral version of No Doubt music plays*

*Peter Dinklage shows up on stilts*

Sam Jackson: I was wondering when Gandalf's boyfriend's gigantism potion was gonna start working on you, Gimli!

Peter Dinklage: No time for that! I came to warn ye' about the Orcs just over the hill!

*pack of Orcs in dreadlocks and Air Force Ones rolls up*

Gothmog: Eyyy. Why y'all gotta be stereotyping just because we got a different skin color? Love, y'all. Unity, y'all.

Brie Larson: Well, it's not the skin color so much as the "I SMELL MAN FLESH," thing, ya know? *crazy Brie Larson facial expression*

Sam Jackson: SHE GOT YOU THERE, BOYS!

Ick.

speckz

1642710532-Screen-Shot-2022-01-20-at-32802-PM-2000x1333.png

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Why is Bungie in brackets after Sony?
They make sci fi FPS games for crying out loud.

I think Microsoft seems the most likely, when looking at the dev teams and fantasy RPG heritage, Amazon could buy it but I dont think they are really invested in the game making business yet.

For Microsoft it would also help having a popular movie/Tv franchise.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
After sexy shelob all Tolkien material has gone to my mind palace.

I can’t stand witness to whatever abominations are to come.

I read sexy Shelob and thought surely it was a meme or an r34. Cursory look at Google, and...

It's a riddle.

What's the Elvish word for "disappointment," ?

CamHostage

Speaking of the Lord of the Rings games, it seems funny that nobody talks about good memories of the EA Lord of the Rings Two Towers / Return of the Kings games from Stormfront Studios and EA Redwood. I remember those just rocking consoles back in their day, with cinematic presentation, incredible sound, fun hack-and-slash combat, and some really clever effects for making the battlefield seem immense and packed with action. (They didn't do Fellowship with the weird EA/Sierra rights battle; Third Age later came long but was not able to start a new chapter for the saga.) It kind of surprises me that these EA LOTR games and the Harry Potter games never get mentioned as favorites that people would want a remaster of (although thinking about Two Towers / Return of the King, I have an unfortunately feeling they wouldn't hold up great in a remaster since their effects work was a lot of sleight-of-hand and of-the-era techniques to hide the games' limitations or to shine up the PS2-quality graphics.)

Today's EA couldn't produce games like these, so it's just as well that they're not getting mentioned as a possible destination for this license.

pasterpl

Why there is no netflix in the poll? I would not like them to get these rights, but they are going into “gaming” and need some recognisable ip for their movies/tv shows/games.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Why there is no netflix in the poll? I would not like them to get these rights, but they are going into “gaming” and need some recognisable ip for their movies/tv shows/games.
Or godawful Disney.

Someone should buy the rights and give it to Larian Studios.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lmao of course people voting for Microsoft, so crazy. Sony doesn’t make sense either, even though you know… they makes movies.

Last edited:

Starhowl

More like “Bored of the Rings”! :rolleyes:

Read all the books when I was 12 and it’s really fascinating to see how capitalism is butchering this mercilessly. :pie_bull:

Silvawuff

What's the Elvish word for "disappointment," ?
We have some options here! "Naira, nûr, naer." - Q. adjective. dreadful, horrible, unendurable, dreadful, horrible, unendurable."

This is a rabbit hole I wasn't expecting to go down. Tolkien developed the language to have different meanings/words by era.

OT - I'd say it would be a nightmare if Disney acquired it, if anything to see sanitized versions up on their streaming services.

Last edited:
I dont get it.

Warner bros have the rights or is Amazon?
Think “Lord of the Rings” as Hulk
Warner as Universal
Flim & Gaming rights owner Zaentz as Marvel
Potential purchaser Amazon as Disney

So Zaentz has the ownership to the gaming and flim rights. Warner still has claim to the film licensed rights, but they havent made a movie in years, so Zaentz believes they have the rights back in full. So any company that buys the rights will have to fight with Warner.
Lmao of course people voting for Microsoft, so crazy. Sony doesn’t make sense either, even though you know… they makes movies.
Microsoft is the least likely to buy the rights. But I think I might have triggered a few when I added Sony(Bungie). Since I think they would handle the creation of a massive Gaas Lord of the Rings game.

Whoever is buying it is buying it for ~20-30 years since it'll become public domain around that time. 2B sounds up Amazon's alley since they spent 500MM on the show + 250MM for the TV license or whatever that cost was.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I thought WB owned this?
Me too. I thought WB owned the movie rights and Turbine the gaming rights. WB acquired Turbine so it I would think it was all owned by WB. Did they sell off the rights or am I misremembering?

Apparently not anymore, or at least it is contested:

Warner Bros. also maintains some film development rights to “LOTR” through its ownership of New Line Cinema. New Line had massive global box office hits and Oscar wins with director Peter Jackson’s trilogy “Fellowship of the Ring” (2001), “The Two Towers” (2002) and “The Return of the King.” Warner Bros. last year announced plans for an anime theatrical feature to be produced with New Line and Warner Bros. Animation, “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim.”

But it’s understood that in the Zaentz Co.’s view, substantial live-action film rights reverted back to them last year in part because Warner Bros. had not been actively developing new “LOTR” and related content. That development, plus the anticipation for the new Amazon series, was enough to convince Zaentz Co. that the time was ripe for a sale. Warner Bros. declined to comment but it is believed that the studio and Zaentz Co. are already odds over who controls what when it comes to “LOTR” and “Hobbit” rights, which have been the subject of extensive litigation over the years.

Source:

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Think “Lord of the Rings” as Hulk
Warner as Universal
Flim & Gaming rights owner Zaentz as Marvel
Potential purchaser Amazon as Disney

So Zaentz has the ownership to the gaming and flim rights. Warner still has claim to the film licensed rights, but they havent made a movie in years, so Zaentz believes they have the rights back in full. So any company that buys the rights will have to fight with Warner.

Microsoft is the least likely to buy the rights. But I think I might have triggered a few when I added Sony(Bungie). Since I think they would handle the creation of a massive Gaas Lord of the Rings game.

That was a great answer.

😉👍🏻

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Man I really want a big budget Lord of the rings open world game....
Shadow of War will probably be the closest we will get. Though with Amazon's or MS's money. Never say never.

There's obviously still a lot of interest with the TV show and the Gollum game coming out soon.

Does Jeff Bezos actually like Lord of the Rings or is he just a psychopath that takes immense pleasure from destroying society and defiling any remnants of culture left? The Rings of Power show makes it seem more like the latter.

Last edited:

Excess

Can I just get a game where I get to be the Witch King flying over a battlefield and picking off humans baracaded on the city walls already?

Catphish

Maybe I just don't get it, but this has all been done to death. Do we really need more LOTR?

Peter Jackson's extended trilogy is pretty much perfection, and none of the games have even come close to matching it in terms of quality.

We know the story, and we know the limitations of trying to present the world in games. What more is there to do?

Top Bottom