• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit’ Film and Gaming Rights Up for Sale

Who buys movie/gaming/etc rights?

• Amazon

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Sony(Bungie)

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Tencent

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Apple

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Warner-Discovery

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
Lord of the Rings The Hobbit

Hollywood is about to stampede into Middle Earth. An array of movie, merchandising, gaming and live event rights to “Lord of the Rings,” “The Hobbit” and other titles from author J.R.R. Tolkien are coming up for auction now that the Saul Zaentz Co. has decided to sell its Tolkien holdings.

The Tolkien properties are projected to fetch at least $2 billion, based on recent high valuations for top-tier IP and content producers.

Amazon is at the top of the list of prime candidates to pursue the additional rights now held by Zaentz.

I think this would be perfect for Bungie and Sony Pictures. I guess Amazon will get the rights.

TransTrender

Gold Member
It feels like I need a spreadsheet with all of the specific individual 'rights' that were monetized and then their specific corporate owner as well as their stipulations in order to understand what's going on here.

Cyberpunkd

It feels like I need a spreadsheet with all of the specific individual 'rights' that were monetized and then their specific corporate owner as well as their stipulations in order to understand what's going on here.

I thought WB owned this?
If I understand correctly this is this convoluted part about Tolkien Estate owning rights to book material and Silmarillion, while other companies hold rights to Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit book.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Imagine if they tried to make better movies that trilogy that already released :messenger_tears_of_joy: What a shitshow that would be.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hollywood is about to stampede into Middle Earth. An array of movie, merchandising, gaming and live event rights to “Lord of the Rings,” “The Hobbit” and other titles from author J.R.R. Tolkien are coming up for auction.

Whoring out Tolkien's lifelong art to the highest bidder. Is nothing sacred?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Either Amazon or Disney will buy it.

If I’m Sony though I buy it along with CDProjekt. WRPG problem solved

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Amazon will obviously take it

They'd be stupid not to with the TV show they have
Don't know, they don't really care about 2h of content in the form of a movie. They already have a series that, if successful, they can milk for ten seasons. If no one shows up for their new series, people won't for a regular LotR remake I think either.

I really don't need another set of movies, remaster the old ones with up tp date CGI and be done with it.

IDKFA

Just wait till the families of dead actors/celebs permit deep fake and voice AI so they can appear in shitty commercials...kept in a state of living death for the rest of time!

So yeah, nothing is sacred.

That sounds like an episode of Black Mirror. Absolutely hellish vision of the future 🤮

Kimahri

Banned
Bungie? What now? All they've done for the last 20+ years is shooters. What have they done to make them look like a good fit for lotr?

Ozzie666

That sounds like an episode of Black Mirror. Absolutely hellish vision of the future 🤮

This was George Lucas's vision. Didn't he buy the the rights to several old famous actors, from Cassablanca etc. Lucas envisioned a time of the digital actor.

He prepared for this like 15 years ago. I am sure he made comments about how it would make, making movies easier. To use digital actors who never age.I am also sure he made some purchases from estates.

He was right. Because it's so close to happening. Not sure it's creepy or awesome though.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've no idea what any future games would turn out like.....but at the moment any TV/movie stuff is gonna be full of woke propaganda,so fuck all to look forward to there.

IDKFA

This was George Lucas's vision. Didn't he buy the the rights to several old famous actors, from Cassablanca etc. Lucas envisioned a time of the digital actor.

He prepared for this like 15 years ago. I am sure he made comments about how it would make, making movies easier. To use digital actors who never age.I am also sure he made some purchases from estates.

He was right. Because it's so close to happening. Not sure it's creepy or awesome though.

Not only is it creepy, but it also means we're hitting creative bedrock.

Rather than ushering in a new generation of great actors, we'll just be recycling dead actors, or actors who are retired/too old. We'll just end up relying on the same old IPs rather than striving to create new ones.

k_trout

I've no idea what any future games would turn out like.....but at the moment any TV/movie stuff is gonna be full of woke propaganda,so fuck all to look forward to there.
hobbitses are deeply offensive to people with big hairy feet

Last edited:

LordCBH

Can’t wait for Amazon to make New Middle Earth, it to come out and do gangbusters, and then immediately get completely ruined by studio incompetence. #IWantARefund

Also can’t wait for the shitty Amazon reboot of the films…..

Zeroing

Banned
I doubt is Sony, they already have the deals for a similar book that they released the first season… on Amazon lol

Disney… possibly.

Amazon just brought a movie studio and though they own the rights for James Bond so… that company is incompetent.

ahtlas7

Neogafers unite! Let’s pool our $$. I’ll chip in the first $10. Now we just need 20 billion more, who’s next!?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Coming Soon to Disney+ Samwise, a TV sitcom that takes place entirely inside Hobbiton
I’d like to see that actually . They could have some seriously dark under tones in the distant background but have a really strong laugh track.

Animated GIF

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh god, here come the 25 thousand spinoffs and TV shows , all infused to the core with 2022+ politics.

Top Bottom