• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Competitive Multiplayer Details (from Game Informer cover story)

Fracas

#fuckonami
edit: I should probably point out that the article doesn't specifically say "feels like Halo."

I was just paraphrasing. To elaborate, it said Halo players would feel familiar with Destiny's combat. It specifically mentioned the combat loop that we all know and love.

Just read my digital magazine. Still not a lot of detail, but at least it's something. I haven't been keeping up with Destiny too much, so not sure what is new or old.

GI saw 2 gametypes:
-groups of teams in what looks like territories; 3 areas to cap and hold that give you multipliers for actions
-slayer, but players can earn points for kills as well as reviving downed teammates

-maps make use of verticality
-lots of vertical movement options available to each class
-dynamic environments
-many grenade types
-GI writer says competitive MP is complex but still focused on player skill
-shooting apparently feels like Halo
-it seems loot earned in co-op/SP can be used in MP
-weapon/ammo pickups on maps? The article says that players start matches without any "heavy ammo" so I guess that's what that means

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely intrigued and excited to see more of the MP.. Verticality done right could be very interesting.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Very curious to see how it plays. As a super hardcore Halo player I'll really need to play it for myself to see how it feels and compares to Halo. One would think that ADS makes the game feel differently from Halo though. Excited to hear more though!

SJRB

Gold Member
I seriously need more gameplay footage to form any kind of opinion on this game. The E3 stuff looked nice and all but didn't get me pumped or anything.

VanWinkle

How does leveling and loot play into the competitive multiplayer?

That's what I'm wondering. It would SEEM people with really high levels from SP would DESTROY people who don't play much SP and have a lower level. Does gear transfer to MP as well? Balancing seems like a huge issue.

Also wondering what the player count minimum and maximum are.

harSon

Banned
Hoping this is like Halo 2 or 3 online rather than Reach.

Earning points for kills, reviving downed allies, special abilities, etc.

Sounds more like Reach with influences from the post-Modern Warfare era of FPS' unfortunately.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I seriously need more gameplay footage to form any kind of opinion on this game. The E3 stuff looked nice and all but didn't get me pumped or anything.

Same, it is a pretty game but give me some meat with my potatoes.

blamite

feels like Halo

Uh oh, we all know what happened the last time we heard that...

For real though, it's really hard to know what to make of these details without seeing the multiplayer in action. Hopefully we can get a ViDoc or even a video of a full multiplayer match soon.

cluto

Doesn't sound like the arena/Halo-counterpart that people were hoping for. If you can bring your campaign character into the multiplayer with all the weapons, armor, and powers intact, I can't see this being as competitive as Halo.

The multiplayer is being designed by Bungie's Halo Reach B-team right? Sage Merrill and such?

vilmer_

Or maybe not.. every gun you find will do about the same DMG then..

Does the article mention if it runs at 60fps?

If they decide to do that, sure. I'm hoping they don't. Coming from an MMO standpoint (which is what this game seems to be at its core), it's always fun when you can mix and match items from SP to MP and vice versa providing said items aren't insanely overpowered. It gives more incentive to play both modes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How does leveling and loot play into the competitive multiplayer?

My guess is cosmetic. Players will see items in MP that can only be found in PvE. I believe Halo 3 was like that with the armor permutations. I can imagine Destiny taking it to an insane level though.

As far as levels are concerned. Might just be a way to see how much experience the player has with the game and not necessarily something that matchmaking uses to find opponents.

Jarmel

Banned
This flat out won't work as a competitive multiplayer unless there are PvP buffs for lower level players.

Madness

After maps like Spire, I had a feeling Bungie would use verticality in future maps. Though I wonder why they said feels like Halo when the shooting is aim down sights? And starting without heavy ammo probably means that heavy weapon they showed, otherwise they've said you take your own weapons into multiplayer.

Obviously I'm not expecting Halo, but there is a reason I only played Halo and didn't really get into Call of Duty, Borderlands or Battlefield as much.

Curious as to how revive mechanic works (more like Gears?), and what they mean by dynamic environments.

Dresden

It'd be nice if there was some 'classic' option where you could go into a map with equal stats and no carryover weapons. Just pick stuff up off the floor and shoot.

It'd be nice if there was some 'classic' option where you could go into a map with equal stats and no carryover weapons. Just pick stuff up off the floor and shoot.

Agreed. Using the same weapons that you use in campaign and constantly use in MP tends to get a bit stale. I like variety in my weapons and gameplay balanced to where everyone can try something new out WITHOUT being penalized.

I'd rather have them ditch pvp entirely or leave it as an unbalanced mess rather than try and balance everything out in the pve to the point of making it dull.

Don't know how I feel about loot from SP transferring to PvP. I don't think that's a good idea but I'll have to see how the stat system works in this game before I worry.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Did they mention the method on how to find a competitive game? Because I could swear that the method was integrated in the campaign mode itself (basically PvP). Especially considering the fact that this game requires an online connection to play.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Juliet's 8½ Spirits;92309446 said:
Did it say anything about ADS being in the competitive multiplayer? I really hope its not there.
It is
Did they mention the method on how to find a competitive game? Because I could swear that the method was integrated in the campaign mode itself. Especially considering the fact that this game requires an online connection to play.
I believe it works something like that.

Bsigg12

Split Screen?

Did it mention Split Screen?

No mention of split screen but after reading through the whole article, it would suck to have to make concessions to make it work. The game sounds like it'll be a blast to play but you're going to want a full screen.

That's what I'm wondering. It would SEEM people with really high levels from SP would DESTROY people who don't play much SP and have a lower level. Does gear transfer to MP as well? Balancing seems like a huge issue.

Also wondering what the player count minimum and maximum are.

I can only assume its going to be level locked (at least within a certain range?)

Maybe I'm in the dark here, but I had no idea this game would have traditional deathmatch-style multiplayer. So it's a Borderlands 2-esque single player game with drop-in/drop-out multiplayer + Halo-esque multiplayer? Bungie seems to be going all out. This sounds awesome.

Yeah, I can picture the SP items being cosmetic only in MP.

My first thought as well. Maybe stats won't come into play online.

Top Bottom