• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE CLONE WARS Season V lOTl Heroes Fall, Darth Maul Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
7869610540_3d6e5c57cb_o.png

Season V Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQRoVlePvg

When is it on?
Every Saturday morning, on Cartoon Network, 9:30 am, and episodes get posted at www.starwars.com after they air.

Why should I watch it?
Even if you aren't the worlds biggest Star Wars fan, this show is superb. The CG animation is beautiful, the writing is decent, and the characters well thought out. Its some of the better writing/producing/and creating George Lucas has ever done, whatever that still means to people these days. Who knows you may even forget about those prequels you hate! No explanation can really do this show justice, go watch it!

If you still aren't convinced you should watch this show, why don't you take a look at the STUNNING Season 5 Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQRoVlePvg

I'll be sure to add more to the OT tomorrow with some more fancy pictures (I have to purchase Photoshop anyway), and as each episode comes out I'll update it with a link to Star Wars.com, the episodes are only up for so long though, just so you know!

Still not sold? How does a Darth Maul VS Darth Sideous Grudge match sound?

xs7V0.jpg

Gray Man

Banned
For someone who fell out of the show sometime during Season 2, how the hell did Darth Maul come back?

Its a lot to explain actually... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul Scroll down to "Return" if you will. Do you know about his relative, or brother, Savage Oppress?

I would assume they're going to do 6 seasons of this show?

That seems to be the plan

The trailer was freaking awesome! Republic Commando!? Count me in.

They need to make a sequel to this game already..

WillyFive

The visuals for this show are already starting beating a lot of real CGI movies going by that trailer (which I suspect is mostly from the first episode).

I didn't like how each story lasted like 4 episodes last season, it felt like it was a really short season considering past seasons told stories only one episode long. Hopefully this season has more meat to it.

Would still rather have Tartakovsky animation/story over pure CGI.

I don't agree. the style was good for a short run, to have 5 seasons of full length using that style wouldn't be as enticing or visually impressive.

staying on point, the trailer looks incredible. I've long wanted to see anakin start to lose control and it looks like it's finally going to happen this season.

Darklord

Banned
Anyone notice the Star Wars 1313 scenery? Has that been in the show before? I'm guessing they're setting it up for the game.

Anyone notice the Star Wars 1313 scenery? Has that been in the show before? I'm guessing they're setting it up for the game.

it was featured in the last season if I'm remembering correctly. the 1313 scenery is the underside of coruscant, isn't it? if it is, it has been featured in the show.

shira

I don't agree. the style was good for a short run, to have 5 seasons of full length using that style wouldn't be as enticing or visually impressive.

staying on point, the trailer looks incredible. I've long wanted to see anakin start to lose control and it looks like it's finally going to happen this season.
The Tartakovsky animation style holds up extremely well.
If they ever released a 1080p version in 5-10 years it would hold up.

With the current CG the action looks great, but the faces are still cartoon/uncanny valley and the movement/mocap/whatever is still a few generations behind believable.
This is going to look dated in a few years, maybe not beast machines/reboot, but this will be unwatchable compared to whatever is released in 5-10 years.

They might just be using assets from the show in 1313. They already have been taking stuff from the cg assets used in the prequel trilogy for this show.

WillyFive

The Republic Commandos are also going to appear this season, I believe. Should be great.

With the current CG the action looks great, but the faces are still cartoon/uncanny valley and the movement/mocap/whatever is still a few generations behind believable.
This is going to look dated in a few years, maybe not beast machines/reboot, but this will be unwatchable compared to whatever is released in 5-10 years.

Yeah, the Genndy Clone Wars shorts are fantastic looking, especially because the facial expressions, slick animation, and vivid colors.

They don't do mocap. In the far future this might look outdated, but for TV it's currently ahead of the game in CG and no show has come close to this. Each season it gets better also. The first season for example looks still decent and it's almost 5 years old, but because they kept it stylized and not trying to go for a realistic look, but the animation is real bad and showed it's early limitations. With the improvements to the animation that they keep doing which is far smoother and realistic, it will help the shows visual longevity.

great use of the OT music for the first 90 seconds of that trailer.

this show is really great. even though i only just finished the 2nd season. lots ahead.

WillyFive

Is there anywhere I can watch previous seasons?

starwars.com has some episodes available, and they will have the latest ones online after they air. They have the three episodes (1, 2, 3) that make up the latest arc. You can watch any arc in any order, since the show is an anthology.

Gray Man

Banned
great use of the OT music for the first 90 seconds of that trailer.

this show is really great. even though i only just finished the 2nd season. lots ahead.

They have been shifting to more Original Trilogy music as they get closer and closer to Episode 3.

Gray Man

Banned
Whatever happened to that live action Star Wars show? It's supposed to be out in 2013, right?

Actually the show is probably happening. They have a lot of episodes written out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

They even Ian McDirmid (Darth Sideous) has expressed interest in being involved.

George Lucas has stated its less like the 30's serials and more like 40's film noir.

Its working title is Star Wars: Underworld

Setre

Oh man, that trailer was really good. I've forgotten how much I actually like Star Wars and the Expanded Universe. Might have to buy season 1 on blu-ray and watch it. I didn't care for the CGI movie that came out a couple of years ago though, is the series similar to that?

Oh man, that trailer was really good. I've forgotten how much I actually like Star Wars and the Expanded Universe. Might have to buy season 1 on blu-ray and watch it. I didn't care for the CGI movie that came out a couple of years ago though, is the series similar to that?

The series works better because it's bite sized anthology of stories. The movie was essentially the original pilot 3-4 episodes smooshed into a movie and it was kinda meh. Show has it's ups and downs but generally has improved with each season with some real great episodes in the mix.

Slayven

the underground of Courscant all looks like 1313.

I really like Maul's voice, you can here the madness barely held back.

Great premiere!

I wonder if it might be a bit much for Saturday morning, what with all the stabbings through the chest and limb dismemberment. No complaints from me, though.

I believe all of the voice work for the season, or the majority was done before Ian Abercrombie passed away, he was really talented. RIP.
At the very least some of it, as that was definitely him for most of the premiere... Though there's a clear insert towards the end with the line "They're just petty crooks." It was a noticeably different actor / voice. Was very jarring, stood out quite a bit to me.

Great premiere though! Violent! Gotta love Hondo, and was glad to see Obi-Wan hold his own.

Slayven

Great premiere!

I wonder if it might be a bit much for Saturday morning, what with all the stabbings through the chest and limb dismemberment. No complaints from me, though.
Season 2 premiere had a trooper get headshotted in the first 3 minutes. I said got damn.

I think this one really pushed things for violence with the whole stumps being visible clearly and inner meat. Figured they would be more strict on censoring for sat morning

WillyFive

Great premiere, hopefully Savage doesn't get killed off soon. Really great interaction between Kenobi and the pirates too.

Gray Man

Banned
Great premiere, hopefully Savage doesn't get killed off soon. Really great interaction between Kenobi and the pirates too.

Man, that premiere was FANTASTIC. One of the best duels they have put on the show so far.

When Savage's arm got cut off, you could really hear the emotion when Maul called out to him. Really interesting to see that side of his character.

However I wonder if Anikan and Maul will face off... that pent up anger over Qui-gon has to be present still.

Gray Man

Banned
This show has gotten gooooood!

Damn straight it has! Maybe other people on NeoGAF will start taking it more seriously :p

You know what really gets me? Savage Oppress killed that jedi with the HORNS on his head. Then just made sure she was actually dead with her lightsaber. Every time his saber swings you can almost hear it make an animal like growl.

Savage is one scary dude...

Clone Wars have created some money side characters. Cad Bain, Mondo, Rex, Bounty Hunter Hat Guy, etc.

That would be Embo. I think its sort of an inside joke as well, given how attached Dave Filioni is to that hat of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom