• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raising Hope Season 3 |OT| Only loved by those who practice Scienceology

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

jvqp3.png

Raising Hope - FOX - Tuesdays at 8/7c starting October 2nd

For the about 15 people who actually watch the show: hey, Raising Hope is back so here's a new thread!
For anyone who may stumble into this thread and not watch the show: hey, this show Raising Hope is back and it's a pretty great sitcom. Watch it, we need more people.

Both groups can watch the Season 3 Premiere right now by visiting the show's Twitter page.

• Lucas Neff as Jimmy Chance
  • Martha Plimpton as Virginia Chance
  • Garret Dillahunt as Burt Chance
  • Shannon Woodward as Sabrina Collins
  • Cloris Leachman as Maw Maw Chance
  • Baylie and Rylie Cregut as Hope Chance
Season 3 Preview:
In the Season Three premiere, Golden Globe Award winner Tippi Hedren and her real-life daughter, Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe Award winner Melanie Griffith, guest-star as Sabrina's grandmother and mother, respectively. Also this season, a family member moves out of the house; Sabrina's mom gets a new boyfriend (guest star Wilmer Valderrama); a fundraising competition turns the Chance family into mobsters; and the entire Chance clan celebrates an early Christmas before the world ends - according to the ancient Mayan calendar, that is - on Dec. 21, 2012.

Fox is trying to build a strong comedy Tuesday this year and Raising Hope gets to lead it off. With any luck it'll be successful and more people will watch this.
The show's moving crazy fast, in a good way. We haven't stalled anywhere in the Jimmy/Sabrina relationship, and the premiere shows that it's not at all letting up.
So let's enjoy Raising Hope even if no one else will.

So how did the second season turn out? I loved the early episodes of this show but lost interest when the focus shifted too heavily to the will-they/won't-they relationship gobbledygook.

Irish

So how did the second season turn out? I loved the early episodes of this show but lost interest when the focus shifted too heavily to the will-they/won't-they relationship gobbledygook.

Seems odd considering they've probably gone through the relationship thing way faster than a lot of other shows.

big ander

What Irish said. The will-they/won't-they stuff lasts into about mid-season 2, if you want it spoiled. And then the relationship moves through the usual relationship stories very quickly after that. Plus it's all being done while the show is being funny and cute, so it's way worth it.

Okay, thanks. I'll have to check it out. I have very low tolerance for that sort of thing (hence the rapid bailout), but this show has a lot of other stuff going for it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Okay, thanks. I'll have to check it out. I have very low tolerance for that sort of thing (hence the rapid bailout), but this show has a lot of other stuff going for it.

I feel you. That's why I stopped watching Chuck. Never really bothered me in Hope though.

SuperPac

Seems odd considering they've probably gone through the relationship thing way faster than a lot of other shows.

This. I was actually quite happy at how fast they went through it. All while maintaining a decent comedic pacing at least until the last few episodes last season. I hated the finale. Least seems to be back on track after this seasons premiere.

Melanie Griffith looks like 10 miles of bad road though. Doesn't look like "her" anymore.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I know continuity isn't a big priority in comedies, but did I miss an episode where Sabrina found out that Jimmy was Drakkar Noir? She didn't seem particularly shocked during the slideshow.

big ander

I know continuity isn't a big priority in comedies, but did I miss an episode where Sabrina found out that Jimmy was Drakkar Noir? She didn't seem particularly shocked during the slideshow.

hm I don't know if I remember it happening in the show, but they had that whole episode where they tried to bring out all their secrets so I don't think it's inconceivable that she knows.

aparisi2274

"I think this is the first time I've seen your meat whistle!" - maw maw.

Holy shit, when she said that, I spit my drink out!

I really need to start watching this show week to week. Ran through season 1 on Netflix after season 1 finished. Then watched season 2 on Hulu once it finished.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I enjoyed the episode.

Its nice that Lucas has input in the script writing.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The new season is just as good as the first 2! It's the little things in this show, like, the book of job! Love it.

big ander

Hah that end preview was bizzare.

I loved Maw Maw stealing the horse and Virginia's accidental appropriate fake words. Next week should be good.

big ander

Funny episode. I didn't say it last week but I thought the first part of this was only okay. this made it a lot better. Gave the duo of episodes a point and had plenty of incidental humor that I loved. Part 1 didn't have as many random jokes, part 2 had "but how'll we make it back after we've eaten all that chocolate?" So good.

Also good? Sabrina in the dress.

yep, since it's produced by the network they'll want to get it to syndication now that it's closer.

Thought it was a funny episode, but not as good as the first. Burt was easily the stand out of the episode. Besides Sabrina in that dress and magic outfit of course.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I came to the show for Sabrina, stayed for Burt. Garret Dillahunt is my mans.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm trying to get Lucas to come on Gaf.

Is this weird?

big ander

I'm trying to get Lucas to come on Gaf.

Is this weird?
Nah not at all. I mean, I hope he wouldn't come here expecting there's a ton of people talking about Raising Hope, sadly there are only a few of us. But those few of us really like the show so having him in here wouldn't be awkward.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm pretty pumped for tonights ep, as it's the first one airing since I got into the show.

DJ_Lae

I've watched the show here and there before but the last couple of weeks have really gotten into it. Before I think I just felt obligated because of the kid connection - we had our first daughter at almost the same time as Hope was born (I'd guess the actual kid is six months to a year older in real life) so it's weird/neat watching her go through similar things to our kid, only made sillier.

But as of mid last season I've been really enjoying it, and this season seems to be pretty solid so far too. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Anoregon

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a bit more gaf-love for this show. On the other hand, it definitely is a bit of a tough sell, and even with word of mouth from people who's opinions you trust, the seemingly generic sit-com-ness that can come across in ads does put people off before they might actually give it a chance.

big ander

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a bit more gaf-love for this show. On the other hand, it definitely is a bit of a tough sell, and even with word of mouth from people who's opinions you trust, the seemingly generic sit-com-ness that can come across in ads does put people off before they might actually give it a chance.

I think it's just that Raising Hope occupies the minority position on TV right now, even for sitcoms. sitcoms go through phases of being more rural or more urban and they've been more urban for years and years now. they're also usually focused on young professionals in cities. family sitcoms have been returning some, but they're usually more upper-middle class and living in a suburban environment (Modern Family). Raising Hope is outside pretty much all of that: takes place in a location faaar outside of the city, is centered around lower-middle class people. it's a big outlier. which is an external reason I love it and why I wish more people would watch it, but they won't because if they're going to choose a sitcom to watch, sadly chances are they'll choose an urban one. the upside to this (at least in my mind) is that in the future RH will actually be talked about more, because in retrospect it will be notable for standing apart.

big ander

Did anybody watch? Just caught it and really enjoyed it. Very traditional plot in everything from the couples game to the couples adventure and all, but the answers that Burt and Virginia had were hilarious, Jimmy and Sabrina had great scenes together, and Barney was awesome(ly depressing). Glad they had the reveal at the end about the surprise party, lol.

Anoregon

Yeah, the whole "couples retreat tests the new couple's relationship" thing is a pretty tired trope, but it was executed pretty well, especially due to Burt and Virginia. The "Sabrina poops backwards" bit had me laughing.

I'm still enjoying how the whole jimmy/sabrina relationship is being handled. Was pleasantly surprised when they got together in the middle of season 2 instead of, say, at the end of season 3 after at least 1 or 2 cliffhangers, and the relationship is moving and growing in a fun way that doesn't seem to be leading to an inevitable "break up for the sake of break up drama" situation.

Pretty good episode, but it needed more Mawmaw. I'm kind of confused on whats up with Sabrina's grandmother's house. They seemed to be in it in last nights episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom