• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America's dev support attempting to reach out to Toby Fox? (Undertale)

BY2K

Membero Americo
https://twitter.com/Sempuukyaku/status/694643920001585152?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Akinwale Lakeru
‏@Sempuukyaku Hey, @FwugRadiation! Are you available for me to reach out to you when you get a chance? Let me know if that's cool :)

ODVhcOr.png

Akinwale Lakeru

@Sempuukyaku

Developer Support: Nintendo of America. Opinions are mine and mine alone. Go Sounders.

EDarkness

I saw that on my feed earlier today and was wondering what was up with that. Would be cool if Undertale makes it to the 3DS or Wii U.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did Nintendo ever work on having Game Maker support their platforms?

I imagine that would be one of the primary issues.

Corpekata

Banned
They probably noticed the mountain of fanart for the game on Miiverse and Splatoon and decided they want to try to make some easy dough.

Well, and the game's million sales probably helped.

Sawneeks

Banned
Would be interesting to see how they incorporate a certain gameplay 'element' from late-game into a console release.

Nazo

It was inevitable that one of the big three would reach out to get Undertale. Just a little surprised its Nintendo.

Seems like something that could happen with enough determination.

...I'll see myself out.

No, wait. I want Undertale amiibo now. Make that happen, someone.

Fat4all

Banned
The biggest hurdle for this hitting any console is a narrative spoiler for the neutral ending.

That has to be done proper and not bullshitted. If Nintendo/Sony/MS allow it, then there's no issue, but it's a hard sell.

SilentRob

Well, I think if there ever was a chance to get a japanese translation for Yoko Taro, there it is^^

It was inevitable that one of the big three would reach out to get Undertale. Just a little surprised its Nintendo.

There is no way in hell MS and Sony aren't also in talks with him/trying to reach him.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I know, I just think it's very weird for Nintendo to try to reach an indie dev directly via Twitter so openly.

I believe they do it all the time, you can find people on their indie team reaching out to devs all over twitter, I remember dan Adelman was particurly famous for this

They would have to completely change one thing during a boss near the end. Have the game script it out or something instead of how it worked in the game.

Cross promotion with the game's inspiration would be pretty cool. I'd imagine he'd be up for it if Nintendo localized Mother 3 seeing how much he loves those games.
Maybe Ness/Lucas amiibo compatibility?

Corpekata

Banned
Can someone spoil what this might be? In spoiler tags or PM?

The game forcibly crashes at certain moments. Not like fake crashes, actual crashes and it's at some fairly integral parts so removing it or nerfing it could hurt impact (or dissauge him of a port in general)

It is generally thought this is why the game hasn't been announced for console yet, as modern Big 3 might not be up for such a thing.

Seriously don't read this unless you don't care at all about spoilers

@MUWANdo

Banned

They support HTML5 via NWF and there are GM-made games on Wii U that were released using this method but it's far from optimal.

Dimmle

He said in a Game Informer Radio interview that he'd love to be on a Nintendo console first and foremost, so Nintendo wouldn't be a terribly surprising choice.

Fat4all

Banned
He said in a Game Informer Radio interview that he'd love to be on a Nintendo console first and foremost, so Nintendo wouldn't be a terribly surprising choice.

If that's the case, I hope they save it for the NX launch. It'd have a lot of hype around it coming out on day-one for the new system.

GulAtiCa

Got it. Ok, yeah trust me (Nintendo indie dev), Nintendo would FAIL them for that.

My possible solution of what it could do insead: Untertale big spoilers =
They could make it so it "pretends" to crash and it goes back to the game's main menu. Won't be 100% the same thing, but could has similar effect.

Lingitiz

I don't know if he could cut it. It's somewhat important narrative-wise.

That was my thought as well. Maybe pull a Eternal Darkness insanity effect-like section?
Yeah I assume that, the way saves work, and the fact that he's just one guy and would need an external team to a do a port are big factors to not do one. It'd be cool to see it on consoles though. It sold so well that he's not necessarily inclined to do it, but it'd still be a big success.

Fat4all

Banned
Got it. Ok, yeah trust me (Nintendo indie dev), Nintendo would FAIL them for that.

My possible solution of what it could do insead:
They could make it so it "pretends" to crash and it goes back to the game's main menu. Won't be 100% the same thing, but could has similar effect.

That'd be the best way to cheese it, but I'm holding out hope that they could make an exception. Shit plays out so well.

My possible solution of what it could do insead:
Or they could play a video of the Wii U menu with nobody there. Would be spooky

RK128

I'm positive that every major platform holder contacted him after Undertale launched, considering how massive the game became last fall. They would all be stupid not considering helping him make console and/or handheld versions of the game.

Nintendo being on the first to contact him is surprising though, as while they reportedly have great connections to Indie developers, I picture Sony being more aggressive in getting the game on there console/handheld (considering how major indie support is on PS4 and Vita).

The fact Earthbound is on Nintendo Wii U (Beginnings and the SNES original) and rumors are pointing to Mother 3 happening this year, Undertale landing on Wii U before the end of the year wouldn't be shocking; it takes inspiration from the Earthbound series (Mother 3 mainly) and it would sit nicely next to them.

Looking forward to E3 this year as Nintendo, MS or Sony will make a big deal about the game landing on there consoles first. It being a NX exclusive for six months could be quite big.

Sawneeks

Banned
Yeah I assume that, the way saves work, and the fact that he's just one guy and would need an external team to a do a port are big factors to not do one. It'd be cool to see it on consoles though. It sold so well that he's not necessarily inclined to do it, but it'd still be a big success.

I think if Nintendo offered, and seeing as he really wants to port it to a Nintendo console, I think he could find a team to do it. Doubt he would lack the funds to do it anyway lol.

Or they could play a video of the Wii U menu with nobody there. Would be spooky

If they let him do something Nintendo-specific like that it would be amazing.

Nanashrew

Banned
IIRC the last time Toby Fox was at an indie event Nintendo and other studios were there and Toby Fox brought that up on his Twitter when a Nintendo guy learned his name it was "you're that Undertale guy!!" very excited to meet Toby. Or something like that.

I don't believe there are any "unknown reasons" behind that tweet and I imagine Nintendo has been watching it carefully as many other studios have too.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

My possible solution of what it could do insead: Untertale big spoilers =

Nintendo pioneered this kind of shit with Eternal Darkness, they'd find a way to make it work.

Top Bottom