• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV XBO audio stuttering and framing issues. Chance of a patch?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RagingAvatar/video/8564518 I made this video myself.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on Xbox One has a serious bug. Occasionally experiencing severe input, audio and streaming lag - in some instances it even speeds up like it's on fast-forward to get to where it needs to be - as if the game update thread has got severely out of sync with the render thread and the render thread then just skips a bunch of frames when the game update thread stops stalling.

I've checked the XboxOne and MetalGearSolid sub-reddits and by no means am I the only one experiencing this issue.

I've tried having the game installed on my Xbox's internal and external hard drives, I've obviously rebooted in the vain hope of that fixing it.

I contacted Microsoft for a refund, because I believe this bug to be so severe and random that it's ruining my game's experience and frankly I'd rather restart on the PS4 version but I was denied because 'it's a publisher problem'.

Given the disbandment of Kojima Productions I have severe doubts that the Xbox One version will receive an update.

Anyone on GAF experiencing these issues?
Do I have a case for a refund?
What are the chances of it being fixed? (To be honest, I'd rather play on Xbox One because that's my main console.)

Isocr4cy

I've had these issues a couple times, normally they aren't that frequent and I've never had anything quite as bad as in the video.

What is bothering me, however, is that every 10-15 minutes it seems that my controller briefly disconnects or something, causing me to either walk in a circle or start panning the camera for 1-2 seconds.

This only started when MGS came out so I don't think it's my controller, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone else have this issue?

Lichter

I've had these issues a couple times, normally they aren't that frequent and I've never had anything quite as bad as in the video.

Same here (XBO), and I've only experienced it during gameplay, not during cinematics.

Chucker

What is bothering me, however, is that every 10-15 minutes it seems that my controller briefly disconnects or something, causing me to either walk in a circle or start panning the camera for 1-2 seconds.

This only started when MGS came out so I don't think it's my controller, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone else have this issue?

Both of these have happened to me, it BLOWS when you're doing perfect stealth and it gets wrecked by nothing you did.

It's rare enough that I don't get super irritated, but I hate that it happens at all.

DrDamn

I contacted Microsoft for a refund, because I believe this bug to be so severe and random that it's ruining my game's experience and frankly I'd rather restart on the PS4 version but I was denied because 'it's a publisher problem'.

The fact it's a publisher problem shouldn't matter, they sold it to you so now it's their problem. I think the point is more frequency and impact on your enjoyment. Where do you draw those lines?

Yoday

This happens quite regularly to me too. For a few seconds the game massively stutters, audio gets severely distorted, and there is a complete loss of control. I would say it happens about once every 20-30min or so. I figured it had to do with streaming in new data, but whatever it is, it is really bad and needs to be fixed.

sonto340

Yes this has been happening to me too.
Considering everything is on fire concerning the servers right now I'd say that's their first priority before worrying too much about this.
It hasn't gotten me caught yet but I know it's bound to happen eventually.

I have the same issue that the video shows, quite frequently even.

My brother told me he is getting a similar problem, the controller disconnect like yours, but the audio gets corrupted.

My brother
Did you resume from suspend?
To me it happens in all scenarios, even cold booting the console itself.

damn, that sucks. how many other people seem to have the same issue?
I know at least me and my brother are (two different xbones)

Rocketz

Yeah I mention it early in another thread. Loss of control, audio stuffers but it only lasts 1-2 seconds. Only happens every couple hours. Game has hard crashed on me once and that was last night. I've put in about 20 hours so far.

I'm not too upset about it because the rest of the game runs smooth. If the framerate was all over the place and this was happening then we'd have an issue.

I am having these issues too, Xbox One and Digital Download.

It has caught me out a few times, as you lose control of Snake. He keeps walking in the same direction you were going, so if you were sneaking up on someone and get the sound glitch? You will likely walk right into and alert them.

hwy_61

Banned
Yeah I wanna say I noticed some framerate hiccups hear and there. Nothing to crazy though.

As far as the audio stuttering, I'll have to report back on that one. I have a retail copy, so I'll be sure to update my post.

W.S.

Same here. Xbox One digital version.
Yep, me too.

It has caught me out a few times, as you lose control of Snake. He keeps walking in the same direction you were going, so if you were sneaking up on someone and get the sound glitch? You will likely walk right into and alert them.

I have the same exact problem, it's REALLY annoying.

SURGEdude

A hard reset solved the issue for me. But yeah - when it happens it's really distracting.

That was gonna be my recommendation. Has solved all my issues so far when they rarely but occasionally pop up. Hopefully Konami fixes this issue for my fellow Xbone brethren since I'm sure it's annoying when it pops up.

Has anybody reached out on Twitter? That seems to be the best way to shame companies into doing the right thing. Especially considering how Konami isn't know for taking post release support very seriously.

This happens to me also. XB1 digital version. It ruined two perfect sneaking missions already, gonna take over an enemy, and the camera goes crazy, the game's frames slow down/game seems to speed up, and the enemy called for backup, and I never even saw him do it, all while not having control of Snake for 3-4 seconds or so. Super annoying, and worse ai dont expect Konami to fix it. Might get a PS4 version.

At least I know I'm not the only one it happens to. It almost makes it unplayable.

MarkusRJR

Happens every time I play the game after an hour or so. Really obnoxious. Sometimes it's just a line of dialog or sound effect getting crackled or skipped every few minutes. Worse is when the frame rate randomly freezes up for a second, especially during important moments.

Hopefully a patch comes out to address the issues. :(

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've had massive input lag issues once on the PS4, and it was during a long session. Only happened once, though.

This happens to me also. XB1 digital version. It ruined two perfect sneaking missions already, gonna take over an enemy, and the camera goes crazy, the game's frames slow down/game seems to speed up, and the enemy called for backup, and I never even saw him do it, all while not having control of Snake for 3-4 seconds or so. Super annoying, and worse ai dont expect Konami to fix it. Might get a PS4 version.

At least I know I'm not the only one it happens to. It almost makes it unplayable.

The uncontrollable seconds are the worst, especially when it happens multiple times back to back and near an area with enemies. If this doesn't get fixed, I likely won't complete it because MS is apparently refusing refunds and I'm not giving Konami more money for something that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I have this issue with the disc version. At first, I thought it was an issue with my external drive, but I moved the game to the main hard drive and it still persists. I also have an issue with sometimes the combat ops page loading indefinitely, even when trying to accept rewards .

rob305

Happened to me a couple of times as well. Xbox One digital version. The player keeps walking and I completely cant control snake for like 10 seconds, then everything is back to normal.

Anyways, I decided today after playing the first 7 missions that this game is not for me. I think its so dull and boring, feels like playing farcry side missions. I hate that only every 3-4 missions are story missions...mad max it is

RawNuts

That made that scene so much more dramatic. :p

This happens to me as well; cold booting doesn't fix it, though it seems to be more prevalent the longer the console is on without doing so. Does anyone know if this might have something to do with the hardware? I've had these audio tearing glitches in Witcher 3 and Project CARS as well, just not to this degree. Both of those games utilize the 7th cpu core that MS partially opened up for developers; is MGS a similar scenario?

malfcn

I was having some audio issues the other night. Like it would get "windy" and the sound would chop out.

Bsigg12

It seems like it happens as they load things in in the background. It's kinda annoying when trying to sneak around.

Obviously no one could predicted these issues. So I'm not trying to be condescending. Just curious, why'd you choose the x1 version initially?

Obviously no one could predicted these issues. So I'm not trying to be condescending. Just curious, why'd you choose the x1 version initially?

Cause me and my little brother share an xbox account (since Halo 2, long time ago), so its easier for both to try the game if we buy digital as we both download it. He wanted it on Xbox also since he doesnt have a PS4, but I do. This game might make me get a game on both system though. First time ever for me, but this bug is infuriating. I'll wait a week or two more, then see.

Metzhara

I ABSOLUTELY experience this issue. It makes the game infuriating. There are at least 5 examples where this behavior cost me a high rating.
Audio begins to stutter, that is the beginning of the problem.
Then frame rate is observed to fail.
Then, the worst, controller input begins to lock and you'll start running or camera will begin spinning. Ultimately, you have no control over your character or actions.

I've been seen running into the middle of streets after completely silent missions like a madman, calling attention to all of those killers who want to upgrade from Noisy Badger to Deadly Kodiak.

Very frustrating.

DALBEN

Banned
Same here, i died yesterday because of this. Theres a audio bug and the character/camera keep moving in some random direction for 3 seconds (+/-)

Yes i use the suspend feature all the time.

Sorry about my english, still learning.

Happens to me a couple times during extended play throughs.. It's annoying for sure, but thankfully hasn't happened at a super inopportune time.

Usually I'll be running through the desert and then WOMP I'm going in a circle and the audio gets all screwy for a few seconds.. then back to normal.

I could see it being really aggravating if it happened while I was trying to attack someone.

I seemed to notice it happening more often than not (which is still not often) when something loud is happening or blowing up on screen, but that's just anecdotal.

Naked Lunch

Happens once every 20 minutes or so. Its like a constant cycle. When it happens ill just pause the game. Theres also some major hitches when recording clips. This better be patched - pretty unacceptable.

I don't have an Xbox one so I don't have much to contribute other than I think it's real shitty for MS to say "it's a publisher issue". You deal with MS and not Konami. I'm sure Sony would have done the same thing.

I've had massive input lag issues once on the PS4, and it was during a long session. Only happened once, though.

Last night I was having difficulty fultoning stuff. As if my inputs weren't being detected. It might be the same issue. It's the only time it's ever happened though after 40+ hours. I did have my ps4 and the game on all day and I did suspend/resume several time so that might have been a factor

I'm also on playing on a ps4

etta

my hard graphic balls
Last night I was having difficulty fultoning stuff. As if my inputs weren't being detected. It might be the same issue. It's the only time it's ever happened though after 40+ hours. I did have my ps4 and the game on all day and I did suspend/resume several time so that might have been a factor

I'm also on playing on a ps4

For me the camera was insanely laggy. I would look right with the stick and only after 2-3 seconds it would turn, and it stuttered while turning. I don't use suspend/resume, so it couldn't have been memory leaks. And as far as I know, the PS4 shuts itself down if it gets too hot, so it wouldn't have gotten to the point where it would impact game performance. Weird as hell.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I don't have an Xbox one so I don't have much to contribute other than I think it's real shitty for MS to say "it's a publisher issue". You deal with MS and not Konami. I'm sure Sony would have done the same thing.

This post confuses me. This is not some sort of widespread issue with xbox one games, so why does Microsoft have any jurisdiction over a game they did not publish or fund whatsoever? This is obviously an issue on konami's side.

Oh, you're arguing about refund? every time you purchase anything from the xbox store, they explicitly say "no refunds", I don't get why this would be different.

Yeah I was scared of the same thing! Glad its not just me!

Same i got worried for a minute, though the bug is distracting, and it happens to me about every fifteen minutes or so while I play. It's gotten me into some trouble while trying to take outposts essentially forcing me to reload the check point if I don't get gunned down while caught in the glitch.

Top Bottom