• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very pleased with how this city turned out. Zero highways. Extensive public transport. Realistic layout and gradients.

Enjoy the tour!

http://imgur.com/a/LKRX2#0

mXvuH43.jpg

voVEvol.png

Jesus fuck.

That is amazing. I went to UCSC, and this is amazing work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It seems as long as a school has room students will go to it regardless of the distance.
I guess they're not affected by things like traffic? How often do people go to school in the game? What constitutes a "day" cycle anyway? Do Cims leave their house to go to their jobs or schools at the same time every "day" or is it just random? I wish they had a real day/night cycle in the game that lasted like maybe 10 minutes real-time on speed 1 or something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess I should try making less public transport routes that involves going all over town and instead focus on segmented areas

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder. When tunnels come out, will we be able to just build them down into the ground without needing a mountainside first. Imagine being able to put your garbage and deathcare buildings clustered together and connect them to all parts of the city via an underground tunnel system that has an exit in every neighborhood. They'd pop out of the ground, pick up their garbage and dead bodies, then disappear back into the ground. It'd save space by not requiring elevated roads for the same thing and would be invisible. And oh so cool.

Hopefully tunnels are really flexible.

Also, they really need to implement more bridge types and allow you to choose what kind of bridge to use for each segment of the road. Tiny covered bridges. Big drawbridges. Allow people to make bridge segments themselves and put them online too. Sucks that we have two bridge types and it depends on the road type.

Also, they really need to implement more bridge types and allow you to choose what kind of bridge to use for each segment of the road. Tiny covered bridges. Big drawbridges. Allow people to make bridge segments themselves and put them online too. Sucks that we have two bridge types and it depends on the road type.

something like this?

A25B62EC1C6B93C6E8718C7BE2E7FD562857947B

Very pleased with how this city turned out. Zero highways. Extensive public transport. Realistic layout and gradients.

Awesome Work!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think I understand exactly what that is. But I don't think it's exactly what I want. I want a popup like in Sim City 2000 when you build a road across an expanse that shows a list of bridges to choose from. With the ability to have more choices from the Workshop.

I'm also waiting eagerly for them to allow for vehicle mods so I can get some DeLoreans and clown cars in there.

Ranger X

This is good to know.

Now if only you could build a mega elementary school, a mega high school and a mega college to house everyone.

No, that wouldn't be right. All cities have multiple elementary and high schools. As for universities, they hold so many students that you can go a long long way only with one.

Enjoy the tour!

http://imgur.com/a/LKRX2#0

mXvuH43.jpg

voVEvol.png

This os freaking amazing.

I wonder. When tunnels come out, will we be able to just build them down into the ground without needing a mountainside first. Imagine being able to put your garbage and deathcare buildings clustered together and connect them to all parts of the city via an underground tunnel system that has an exit in every neighborhood. They'd pop out of the ground, pick up their garbage and dead bodies, then disappear back into the ground. It'd save space by not requiring elevated roads for the same thing and would be invisible. And oh so cool.

Hopefully tunnels are really flexible.

Im with you in all what you said. If the tunnels only work on mountianslides instead of undergroun im going to be severly dissapointed, as the majority of cities use the former.
Same thing for the bridges, would lo e the system simcity 2, 3000 and 4 used to create bridges.

Recall

I've still not found a worthwhile youtuber who has played a lot of Cities:Skylines yet is willing to mix things up. Sips from Yogscast fame is the only one who actually seems to have fun playing the game, are there any other youtubers like this with Cities?

Cheers

BlackJace

Does polluted water ever go away? Shit looks nasty, and I want my city to be a coastal/vacation spot. It's a hard sell if the coast has a streak of shit running along it.

I've gotten rid of all my sewage drains and replaced them with treatment plants. Should I spam more?

Zaphod

Does polluted water ever go away? Shit looks nasty, and I want my city to be a coastal/vacation spot. It's a hard sell if the coast has a streak of shit running along it.

I've gotten rid of all my sewage drains and replaced them with treatment plants. Should I spam more?

It can go away if the currents will disperse it. I've still got a few stagnant cesspools, although they are not helped by the slight pollution that comes from a water treatment plant.

spiritfox

You need to give it time to dissipate. Treatment plants do still produce slightly polluted water, but it's much less and not as visible.

BlackJace

It can go away if the currents will disperse it. I've still got a few stagnant cesspools, although they are not helped by the slight pollution that comes from a water treatment plant.

You need to give it time to dissipate. Treatment plants do still produce slightly polluted water, but it's much less and not as visible.

Hmm, I've noticed a lot of it has gone away from the start of the streak, but man is it taking its sweet ol' time. Probably gonna be a few years till it's gone right?

Zaphod

It can take a while to dissipate. If there are areas where the flow in of treated sewage is greater than the flow out, a permanent cove of poo will still build up.

Crispy75

I'm more interested in the rad transit map. Is this done by hand? I did do a diddly one on paper but doesn't look as interesting.
Ah right, well I drew it in AutoCAD so it's not in a particularly friendly format. I can make a vector PDF at some point. There's no magic trick involved though, just lots of trial and error to get a layout that works in that London Underground map style.

Pachael

Ah right, well I drew it in AutoCAD so it's not in a particularly friendly format. I can make a vector PDF at some point. There's no magic trick involved though, just lots of trial and error to get a layout that works in that London Underground map style.

I almost thought there was a mod for that. I recall drawing up lots of silly little transit diagrams like this when playing Cities in Motions trying to justify further investment in more lines.

Also, I just hit the building object limit while trying to build more highways and rail tracks on my 25 tiles map. Looks like I'm forced to redo a lot of these bridges, which will be a bother.

Here's my first proper attempt at a rural/farming area

Try changing the roundabout road type to freeway. It'll remove any traffic lights and traffic will move much faster. And make sure the one way forms a full circle in one direction. Also try having the entrance/exit's to roundabouts flow smoothly so traffic doesn't have to stop to do a sharp right angle turn.

(late response) I tried doing that but it unzoned everything and now I dont have any buildings there anymore lol. You can't seem to zone on freeways. So its kinda useless.

RP912

Banned
Watched a bit of Keralis. Where's he from? He pronounced "islands" as "Iceland".

Otherwise, looks good

According to a wiki he's Polish. I thought he was from the islands though when I first seen one of his videos, but yeah his channel is good. He mostly do Minecraft stuff on it.

(late response) I tried doing that but it unzoned everything and now I dont have any buildings there anymore lol. You can't seem to zone on freeways. So its kinda useless.

If you're making a roundabout, it's generally a traffic solution so not zoning on it is a given (you don't build on roundabouts in real life -- they're designed for constant traffic flow). If you just want to make cool circular residential/commercial roads then yeah you can't use freeways but if you start getting traffic issues you'll need to do a redesign anyway. If you're adamant that you want big zoned roundabouts, using the traffic manager mod to change right of way or have more efficient lanes might help a bit. This video explains it.

Ranger X

I have some region where there was alot of oil so I did build the corresponding industries over there. Now that its been a while oil is extracted from there, when I click on the natural ressource info button, the region isn't black anymore, its green. Like it would now be good for forest industry to be there.

I suppose oil is not infinite but why is it that I am exporting alot of it according my city's stats ???

spiritfox

I have some region where there was alot of oil so I did build the corresponding industries over there. Now that its been a while oil is extracted from there, when I click on the natural ressource info button, the region isn't black anymore, its green. Like it would now be good for forest industry to be there.

I suppose oil is not infinite but why is it that I am exporting alot of it according my city's stats ???

As you said, oil and ore are not infinite (without mods). When the raw material as been totally extracted, the industry will start importing the raw materials from outside. If you see your oil sector it should contain only refineries and other processing plants, rather than extractors like oil pumps. I recommend de-specializing the district as importing cuts into the profits and increases inbound traffic.

Amzin

As you said, oil and ore are not infinite (without mods). When the raw material as been totally extracted, the industry will start importing the raw materials from outside. If you see your oil sector it should contain only refineries and other processing plants, rather than extractors like oil pumps. I recommend de-specializing the district as importing cuts into the profits and increases inbound traffic.

Basically you're importing raw materials, processing them, and then exporting the completed stuff. It's not bad for your economy to be diverse BUT importing stuff adds a ton of truck traffic unless you design around it.

Ranger X

I find it odd that the budget setting isn't affecting the different services in the same logic.

Example:

- Lowering budget for School affect the capacity (number of available places)
- Lowering budget for Medical Care affects the efficiency instead (green on roads)

Odd ball:

- Lowering budget for Police affect.... nothing. I still stay at 5% crime rate!

Even wierder:

- Lowering the budget for Firemen will raise the chances of having a fire at home!

DBT85

Looking at playing this since I've just started playing Cities in Motion again.

Anyone suggest some decent youtubers who a) know what they are doing and b) aren't annoying?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Looking at playing this since I've just started playing Cities in Motion again.

Anyone suggest some decent youtubers who a) know what they are doing and b) aren't annoying?

I don't know, I haven't watched any youtube vids of the game since buying it on launch day. I'd rather play it now!

I do know a few people that do still make CSL lets play videos:

BdoubleO
Skyestorm
Quill18

All of them seem okay to watch.

Weird, it feels like this thread mostly died over the past month or so. Wonder if people were like me: really enthusiastic about the game at first, built out a city or two, then found the end-game wasn't as interesting? I could really go for some more objectives-based play like Cities in Motion had (i.e. have X profitable streetcar lines, build a suburban paradise, etc.).

Weird, it feels like this thread mostly died over the past month or so. Wonder if people were like me: really enthusiastic about the game at first, built out a city or two, then found the end-game wasn't as interesting? I could really go for some more objectives-based play like Cities in Motion had (i.e. have X profitable streetcar lines, build a suburban paradise, etc.).

I kind of burnt out on it and hit a weird wall. I have a bunch of fun ideas, but it's a lot of work to get a city to the point of making those ideas a point of interest. I've also been really busy lately.

Mengy

Nah, I'm nowhere near burned out on it. I just got into a spell of Elite Dangerous, then Kerbal Space Program went 1.0, then DiRT Rally came out, and now the expansion for ETS2 is here. Not enough time to do everything.

This is a game I'll be playing for the next decade though most likely. It's replaced SC4 for me as my city builder of choice.

xeris

Nah, I'm nowhere near burned out on it. I just got into a spell of Elite Dangerous, then Kerbal Space Program went 1.0, then DiRT Rally came out, and now the expansion for ETS2 is here. Not enough time to do everything.

This is a game I'll be playing for the next decade though most likely. It's replaced SC4 for me as my city builder of choice.

This is pretty much where I'm at, although sub in getting ready for the FF14 expansion for DiRT and ED. Also kinda waiting for tunnels before I start my next city. It'll definitely be in the rotation of games like EU that I go back to a few times a year or more.

spiritfox

Just playing other games while waiting for the tunnels patch. This game is something I'll come back to again and again unless something much better comes along.

I haven't played much recently either, April 21st is the last time I at least started it according to Steam, also waiting on the patch. Won't much a huge difference but I upgraded my video card so I think I'll be able to turn up some settings I dropped after expanding my city and added a lot of custom RCI buildings.

Crispy75

I wouldn't say burned out. I think about the game a lot and an itching for the update. But I literally played nothing else for a whole month while building St. Kruetz. Gotta get some Kerbal time in. GTA v at some point too. I'll be back.

Pinktaco

This is exactly how I feel, only that it happened quite fast for me. The game is good, but even when I put on the hard mode I was able to run a decent sized city and earn good money.

What I really liked about simcity 2013 was the objectives. There was always something to focus on and things felt connected in the sense that you needed materials for various stuff. The tourist part of simcity was also a ton more fun and actually there. Currently the absolute biggest issue with simcity is the city size :/

This game, however, is still very good. We've all seen people build amazing cities and this is what this game does good.

It kinda reminds me if Grand Turismo. They are really good driving simulator games with a ton of cars, a good chunk of maps and so on, but the "fun" is up to you. This is how, I suppose, sand box games are ((pi) with minimal amount of "objectives") and for some that's all they need. Some just need the tools to create their own fun and others need something to drive them, which is imo completly fair.

This game doesn't have anything going for it other than "build the city you want to" and it never promised anything else either. It's just a shame I'm so uncreative that I need a more specific goal :p

dalin80

Banned
I got too annoyed by dumb traffic AI and ineffective roundabouts/junctions to carry on. Hope to get back to it one day but just not feeling it at the moment.

Jintor

there's just so many things to play and i'm waiting for more patches, better mod sorting etc, before I jump back in

DBT85

I don't know, I haven't watched any youtube vids of the game since buying it on launch day. I'd rather play it now!

I do know a few people that do still make CSL lets play videos:

BdoubleO
Skyestorm
Quill18

All of them seem okay to watch.

Thanks for that. Quill18 seems good and knows what he's doing it seems. One I watched last night quite clearly had no idea what was going on or how anything worked. I'd not even seen a trailer or reviews or anything and knew how the game worked more than whoever that was!

EDIT: just seen that GMG VIP was a thing, and that this is still in there at £16.78. Sorely tempted!
EDIT2: Yeah, I did it.

Mengy

Thanks for that. Quill18 seems good and knows what he's doing it seems. One I watched last night quite clearly had no idea what was going on or how anything worked. I'd not even seen a trailer or reviews or anything and knew how the game worked more than whoever that was!

EDIT: just seen that GMG VIP was a thing, and that this is still in there at £16.78. Sorely tempted!
EDIT2: Yeah, I did it.

Congrats! Say goodbye to your free time for the next few weeks. When I bought CSL I literally played nothing else for weeks. It's a very addictive and well done game, undoubtedly my favorite city builder of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom