• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
http://www.avclub.com/article/colin-farrell-and-taylor-kitsch-reportedly-true-de-206809

uhhh

640.jpg

UHHH

Could be good. Count me as one really hoping they don't force Farrell to do an accent. It's like getting Clive Owen to do an accent. It's a crime.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Colin Ferrell and Taylor Kitch...It's just as I suspected.

Less character development, less intimacy, less focus.

Yeah, season one was laser focused on two leads, yet somehow only managed to make one of them into anything other than a cardboard cut out (to say nothing of the anemic at best supporting cast), so the fact that there's going to be four leads this time doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Solo

Kitsch will be great. He should never have been forced into the leading man role, but he was great in FNL and will likely shine here too. Farrell I am not as sold on.

Of course it's all just names anyways til we see a trailer and get a sense of the tone of it.

Kitsch would be fine, like Solo said he was shoehorned into a leading man role too early after working so well as a supporting/co-lead on FNL. He's got good chops, his management has just been shit until now. even Lone Survivor was a step in the right direction.

hydruxo

Kitsch was pretty solid in Lone Survivor. I'm not sold on the guy though.

Best part about season 1 was the dynamic between Rust & Marty. It's going to be really tough to have a dynamic between the leads as strong as that one was.

It's funny, if they had told me McConaughey and Harrelson would've done as well as they did. I'd be skeptical...I'm willing to suspend judgement on the cast till I see what they do

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny, if they had told me McConaughey and Harrelson would've done as well as they did. I'd be skeptical...I'm willing to suspend judgement on the cast till I see what they do
Yup. At this point I trust the showrunners' casting choices more than I do my own intuition.

Frog-fu

Banned
MM was amazing, but one of the reason's he's so good is cause Harrelson provides such a great contrast in his overlooked role as Marty

Yes, absolutely, and I think that's precisely why Harrelson's performance is overshadowed by McConaughey even though he arguably did a better job. He was at least as good imo.

Kitsch will be great. He should never have been forced into the leading man role, but he was great in FNL and will likely shine here too. Farrell I am not as sold on.

Of course it's all just names anyways til we see a trailer and get a sense of the tone of it.

Kitsch as riggins is one of the GOAT characters on tv but how are you not sold on Farrell? Let him be Irish and he'll be fantastic

Kinda wish mcconaughey and harrelson were in different categories because I was hoping they'd both win

big ander

Kitsch is a legitimately good actor. Many ahve said it, but John Carter wasn't bad (just mediocre) and none of it was Kitsch's fault. He's really good in it, actually. And he embodied Riggins. I'd be excited to see him take on a heavier role.

Farrell? I like him better in darkly comedic roles. It could work for TD but I'd have to see it.

Fjordson

Sweet. I like Kitcsh and Farrell in the right roles. They're made some shit in the past for sure, but they could be great here. Especially Farrell. Also like setting it in California. Hype!

jett

D-Member
it's the multiple directors i'm not that happy with.

unless we get william friedkin, mark romanek, david fincher or something.

Being a 100% Pizzolatto joint is good enough for me. Cary Fukunaga did amazing work in S1 though. I doubt S2 will be able to top the amazingness.

Marathoned 4 episodes today. Never watched any previews or trailers and only took word of mouth as a recommendation.

Goddamn glad I did. How even that 6-7 nonstop shot in the end of Ep 4?!

I don't want to wander too long in this thread an have something spoiled, but I need to talk to someone about that continuous shot.

Hindle

Banned
Best series to come from HBO since The Wire/The Sopranos. The scenes where Rust has to go undercover and infiltrate the Biker gang just raised the bar for what can be done on TV. It culminating in a one take scene of Rust getting Ginger to safety was on par with the best of Michael Mann.

For S2 I think Tilda Swinton should play the Female lead, and Paul Dano the younger detective.

Frog-fu

Banned
If they can't bring back Detectives Holland "Dutch" Wagenbach and Claudette Wyms, I'd like to see another pair of males in starring roles. Solving crimes and bromance mix awesome together. Gimme that hardboiled, buddy cop True Detective blend again, please.

I told them how to do this . . .

Robert Downey Jr. and Idris Elba. It's not hard, guys.

I would love to see RDJ back in a serious role not related to any comics. I think the last film I saw him with a serious role like that was Zodiac, which is an amazing film. Dunno if True Detective would be a fit. Same goes for Elba, he's already got something similar enough with Luther.

I wouldn't be upset with either or both of them starring in season 2 but they wouldn't be my first picks.

Rumor du jour:

- TVLine: Vince Vaughn Circling True Detective Season 2
The True Detective Season 2 rumor mill has churned out another name: Vince Vaughn.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Swingers actor is in preliminary talks to play one of the three leads in the HBO drama’s upcoming second season.

In mid-July, word spread that Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch are reportedly in serious discussions for two of the season’s lead roles, while series creator Nic Pizzolatto has said that the new season will be set in California and feature “four central roles.”

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour last month, HBO president Michael Lombardo said a Season 2 casting announcement was imminent, adding, “[T]he two scripts we have are…more exciting than the first season.”

Kayhan

Vince Vaughn: fuck no
Colin Farrell: no no no
Taylor Kitsch: sweet jesus please no

Oh well, we will always have Season 1.

NeoGiff

I honestly don't see how Vaughn will work unless the second season has a completely different tone. I'm all in for Farrell, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom