• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS I Love You XOXO Discontinued

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Kinda Funny's PS I Love You XOXO is Discontinuing today ,it was originally held by Greg Miller and other content creators. It interviewed big names such as Cory Barlog and Neil Druckman in the past.

53694534886_81cdc8eb1d_c.jpg

Last edited:

CLW

Gold Member
It make sense if it's done well and in a way that your audience wants. Sacred Symbols is routinely 4+ hours long as a weekly PlayStation podcast. Their Patreon numbers are doing better than ever.
Yep and it’s not like you cannot talk about 3rd party games also coming to the platform basically ignore all those Xbox “exclusives” and of course now speculate on how long before they all come to ps

AmuroChan

Yep and it’s not like you cannot talk about 3rd party games also coming to the platform basically ignore all those Xbox “exclusives” and of course now speculate on how long before they all come to ps

Yep, and also talk about the business side of things. Just from the Insomniac leak alone you can make dozens of hours of content from that.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Seems to be working just fine over at LSM.

Does it, though?

LSM is very successful, don't get me wrong, but that's almost entirely because of Colin's presence. His primary podcast (Sacred Symbols) does great numbers, but their Nintendo podcast and Xbox podcast aren't doing well at all, engagement-wise. Like 5k-10k viewers per weekly upload on YouTube.

AmuroChan

Does it, though?

LSM is very successful, don't get me wrong, but that's almost entirely because of Colin's presence. His primary podcast (Sacred Symbols) does great numbers, but their Nintendo podcast and Xbox podcast aren't doing well at all, engagement-wise. Like 5k-10k viewers per weekly upload on YouTube.

Yes. Colin said just a few months ago that he wouldn't hesitate to cancel shows that do not do well numbers wise. He's also said that YT is the platform he cares least about. Whatever they make on YT is just bonus. Most of their revenue comes from Patreon and podcasting platforms.

StueyDuck

Banned
Kinda Funny's PS I Love You XOXO is Discontinuing today ,it was originally held by Greg Miller and other content creators. It interviewed big names such as Cory Barlog and Neil Druckman in the past.

53694534886_81cdc8eb1d_c.jpg

i mean there's the obvious, it's all been downhill since Colin comments to be made.

but honestly, Kinda Funny acted like actual idiots for a long time and got themselves some of that Trump Derangement Syndrome which I think made most of their audience lose a lot of respect (what little they had) for them.

for me they just became largely unentertaining, hiring a whole bunch of new "talent" that wasn't very interesting, muzzling Nick who at the time was the only one providing any sort of humour and it just became such a milquetoast bland nothing of a company with no Soul.

so I'm not surprised all their shit is falling apart, no one wants to watch Andy play Fortnite and say "let's goooo" like a manchild. Or hear Snowbikey-boy or whatevers voice in general that shit is irritating

Much like the EZAs and I imagine soon to be the Minnmax crowd, these podcasts are now a dime a dozen and if you aren't selling your product anymore on the main reason people subscribed which would be the original group of personalities that people enjoyed watching, then what are you expecting is going to happen?

Last edited:
Does it, though?

Youtube isn't the only way to watch the show.

never seen/heard a single episode after Colin left.

I just recently start watching LSM and KF. I barely watched KF because well I just don't like anyone there. They all seem very fake and like they are tip toeing around what they really think. Then I stumbled onto a podcast where Colin was being questioned about what happened in his past. I had no idea bout any of it but I immediately unsubed from KF after hearing what happened to him.

Last edited:

TexMex

Does it, though?

YouTube streams aren’t the sole barometer of success through. And looking at Defining Duke right now and no episode is below 10k, with some at 30, 60, 90+. Punching Up numbers are definitely low, but is that show even a year old yet?

How many listeners on Spotify, Apple, etc? How much ad revenue? Colin regularly talks about how Duke’s success is constantly trending up week over week.

I don’t think that just because a show isn’t as big as their flagship show, doesn’t mean it isn’t successful. I hate both of these shows btw, just is what it is.

I do agree though that people are mainly paying for Colin. There’s going to be exceptions sure, but if any one of these other shows or personalities went away, LSM moves on just fine. If Colin leaves, LSM vanishes completely, even if he passed the torch and allowed them to try to keep it going.

Fbh

It make sense if it's done well and in a way that your audience wants. Sacred Symbols is routinely 4+ hours long as a weekly PlayStation podcast. Their Patreon numbers are doing better than ever.
Seems to be working just fine over at LSM.

I like Sacred Symbols, in fact it's the only gaming podcast I listed to regularly. But I actually do think it would be better if it was just about gaming news in general instead of Colin stubbornly insisting on being "the playstation guy".

Sacred is mostly compelling because the guys are fun to listen to and it's not part of the woke gaming media hivemind, not because it's playstation focused. I'd argue on most episodes you wouldn't even notice it's a playstation podcast if they didn't introduce it as such. The first hour is them just talking random shit, then they talk about smaller news items which are usually stuff from the industry at large, then they talk about what games they are playing where Dustin and Chris are generally more likely to be playing something on PC or Steamdeck than ps5, and only then does it usually get into Playstation news...if there are any, which there often aren't like this week where they just talked about embracer group.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can we have just one topic about Kinda Funny's implosion / merger?

cause I think they also closed their Nintendo specific podcast, before someone makes a topic for that too :p

AmuroChan

I like Sacred Symbols, in fact it's the only gaming podcast I listed to regularly. But I actually do think it would be better if it was just about gaming news in general instead of Colin stubbornly insisting on being "the playstation guy".

Sacred is mostly compelling because the guys are fun to listen to and it's not part of the woke gaming media hivemind, not because it's playstation focused. I'd argue on most episodes you wouldn't even notice it's a playstation podcast if they didn't introduce it as such. The first hour is them just talking random shit, then they talk about smaller news items which are usually stuff from the industry at large, then they talk about what games they are playing where Dustin and Chris are generally more likely to be playing something on PC or Steamdeck than ps5, and only then does it usually get into Playstation news...if there are any, which there often aren't like this week where they just talked about embracer group.

I see some of what you're saying, but Sacred is good the way it is IMO. I don't want them to change what's not broken (to me). The banter in the beginning is nothing new. Beyond and PSILY were also like that when Colin was on those shows. When it comes to being the PlayStation guy, I don't see anything wrong with that since he plays on PlayStation 99% of the time with very few exceptions. Also, most of his industry connections are within the PS family (ie. Neil from ND, James from Insom, the guys at Housemarque, etc). Plus he's one of the few gaming podcasts out there who regularly talks about trophies, which is something I also care about.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Parris had explained on twitter in response to the youtuber "Oh no it's Alexx" that there simply won't be any more console specific shows. They aren't leaving Kinda Funny. The format is just changing.

Same thing happened to Xcast.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Parris had explained on twitter in response to the youtuber "Oh no it's Alexx" that there simply won't be any more console specific shows. They aren't leaving Kinda Funny. The format is just changing.

Same thing happened to Xcast.

Either way these are not good signs. You don't consolidate from multiple revenue streams to just one if the console specific shows were getting tons of views and have a high ROI. You consolidate because the resources spent to produce multiple shows are not being matched by the ROI. So instead of producing 3 separate shows, you cut the production cost by 2/3 and then hope that the one show will bring in the consolidated audience and generate enough clicks and views.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Either way these are not good signs. You don't consolidate from multiple revenue streams to just one if the console specific shows were getting tons of views and have a high ROI. You consolidate because the resources spent to produce multiple shows are not being matched by the ROI. So instead of producing 3 separate shows, you cut the production cost by 2/3 and then hope that the one show will bring in the consolidated audience and generate enough clicks and views.
This could be true...or they could use the same methods as a cost cutting measure hoping that they maintain the success they've had...using the slots for the other shows to produce something else.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

They’re producing more content now (and more revenue opportunities) than they were prior to shutting down these two shows.

They’re now doing a daily show covering all of gaming 5 times a week, instead of doing two separate console-specific shows once a week.

AmuroChan

This could be true...or they could use the same methods as a cost cutting measure hoping that they maintain the success they've had...using the slots for the other shows to produce something else.

We'll see. So far they've only said they're consolidating. They've not said anything about adding new shows to fill the vacant slots. If I'm a betting man, I would not bet on the latter to happen.

AmuroChan

They’re producing more content now (and more revenue opportunities) than they were prior to shutting down these two shows.

They’re now doing a daily show covering all of gaming 5 times a week, instead of doing two separate console-specific shows once a week.

They've already tried that in the past with Colin & Greg Daily and whatever it became afterwards (Gamescast Live Daily?).

Reactions: CLW
Top Bottom