• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

GrayChild

HTtoo0h.png

Another win for PC gaming. The first Sony title which sold more on PC than on PS5? Seems so.

I promise I will stop being a Sony hater if they do day and date first party releases like Xbox does, oh and they have to bring back/make some multiplayer franchises! Killzone, Resistance, Twisted Metal where you at?!

Xtib81

The day every Sony exclusive is available day one on PC is the day I'm switching to PC gaming. I'm confident it will be a reality at some point because sooner or later, they will hit a ceiling and will need to find new ways to make more profit.

Last edited:

rm082e

If they really do go day-and-date with PC releases on all exclusives, I don't think I could justify buying another PlayStation console...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I find it absolutely hilarious that Playstation execs refuse to recognize this game's success. My guess is that there is a tug of war going on at sony right now and people there dont want to admit that PC made this game a massive success. They have seen MS and know that day one PC releases are a death sentence but their bosses over at Sony corp dont and the moment playstation reveals the sales, those sony corpo heads are going to delay every game to release day and date with PC. With nixxes pumping out like 3-4 ports a year, they have the perfect studio to port day one releases of the 1-2 first party releases they have every year.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I find it absolutely hilarious that Playstation execs refuse to recognize this game's success. My guess is that there is a tug of war going on at sony right now and people there dont want to admit that PC made this game a massive success. They have seen MS and know that day one PC releases are a death sentence but their bosses over at Sony corp dont and the moment playstation reveals the sales, those sony corpo heads are going to delay every game to release day and date with PC. With nixxes pumping out like 3-4 ports a year, they have the perfect studio to port day one releases of the 1-2 first party releases they have every year.

I think they’re just waiting for their next showcase to announce stuff, or an acquisition announcement

Xyphie

The overton window of PS PC releases will continue to shrink. Next in line is remakes/remasters like Until Dawn day 1 and PSVR games (+ compatibility with non-PSVR2 headsets).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I find it absolutely hilarious that Playstation execs refuse to recognize this game's success.
What makes you think they won’t recognize it’s PC sales at some point? Like they have a quarterly coming up and they’ll probably be way over PC sales expectations overall and that’s something you brag about. Sony doesn’t do a ton of PR outside of “results” windows.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Charted where? Steam?

NPD

Sony doesn’t want to sell the most copies on PC

Its not that complicated

It charted at #14 for its release month
Well we know something has to give. Their last financial statements explicitly said they have to change the way they do things. So they're either going to be cutting back on budgets, or changing where they release things.

Some people have been predicting consoles will be declining regardless, and most younger audiences are device agnostic. If that is true, Sony will have to decide where and when to place their bets or make this transition. Up to them.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
NPD

This seems pretty alright? It went from 107 to 14 and is up against much newer games. It's a 2-year-old port so I'm not sure why anyone would anticipate it to do much better, especially when it was up against Dragon's Dogma II that came out the very next day. Zero Dawn released in a comparatively quiet period and did extremely well according to Sony. I can't imagine Forbidden West "bombing" relative to expectations.

Do we have the NPD for Zero Dawn on PC?

Edit: It doesn't seem like it hit the top 20 for either August or September. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

https://venturebeat.com/games/august-2020-npd-madden-and-ufc-supercharge-u-s-game-sales/

https://venturebeat.com/games/septe...and-mario-lead-strong-transition-into-autumn/

Last edited:

The Stig

Nice.

I've been playing the shit out of it since launch on my PC.

It's been very stable for me lately also

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sony wants to maximize revenue. If that means day one PC for all games they will do that. If the day one on PC means using their own store they will do that as well if needed.

They don’t maximize revenue by canibalizing store revenue and ps5 hardware revenue

They will get their pc gamers at a later date and capture more cumulative revenue

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Well we know something has to give. Their last financial statements explicitly said they have to change the way they do things. So they're either going to be cutting back on budgets, or changing where they release things.

Some people have been predicting consoles will be declining regardless, and most younger audiences are device agnostic. If that is true, Sony will have to decide where and when to place their bets or make this transition. Up to them.

They really don’t need to change, they still make good profits when you exclude Bungie acquisition costs.

The greedy CFO is just greedy.

Doesn’t look like PlayStation consoles are declining, ps5 is ahead of ps4

All the decline is coming from Xbox and that audience moved to PC thanks to Phil

Last edited:

Zathalus

They don’t maximize revenue by canibalizing store revenue and ps5 hardware revenue

They will get their pc gamers at a later date and capture more cumulative revenue
It depends on the increase from PC revenue offsets the potential loss from console revenue. So far there doesn't appear to be a mass migration from PlayStation to PC. Sony will want to maximize that balance as much as possible, that may mean 2 year old, 1 year old, or same day ports.

They really don’t need to change, they still make good profits when you exclude Bungie acquisition costs.

The greedy CFO is just greedy.

Doesn’t look like PlayStation consoles are declining, ps5 is ahead of ps4

All the decline is coming from Xbox and that audience moved to PC thanks to Phil
I don't personally care either way. I'm transitioning to PC and I can wait a few years for Sony titles no problem if I want one. You may be totally right that they stick with a delayed release strategy. I wouldn't be shocked if they change it up though, but in the end it honestly makes very little difference to me.

I just think they're going to be thinking about it pretty hard if this no name game out of nowhere is their 7th best selling title ever and is now a viral hit and can be spun off into sequels and TV or whatever they want. People are so loyal to PS consoles they may put it on PC and not lose their console base anyway. I have no idea how it plays out. I bet they will be very tempted to try it.

My guess is any GAAS games day 1, and they keep shortening the delay on single player stuff to 1 year.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I think they’re just waiting for their next showcase to announce stuff, or an acquisition announcement

Yep, just tossing out an X million copies sold statistic in and of itself does nothing and is wasted PR. Attach the news to something meaningful like the game’s first discount, new content to buy, or a new HD2 PS5 bundle would be the way to go.

Top Bottom