• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

IDappa

Found this on reddit.

Jez on Future of Xbox

This is coming from XboxTwo discord and it’s a doozy:

“All Xbox first-party games coming to PlayStation, even Forza, Halo
- Xbox will be more Steam-like in the future
- Affordable prices, sales, more open for devs
- Future Xbox-Hardware gonna be for fans who want it
- Xbox hardware will be niche like Steam Deck
- Next Xbox will side-load Steam
- "I don't think they expect to ever grow in hardware"

he said "Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

Reminder, the discord screenshot that floated around that detailed Indiana Jones likeness, and 1st POV ended up being correct. Jez tried to debunk it, but is looking like he’s wrong again

LINK:

Fucked up the title, meant to say future.

Last edited:
Read the title as Jez on the OF XBox, I thought that Phil had MS collaborating with Only Fans to reach more neckbeards and that mythical 100 million gamepass subs. On topic, this makes complete sense, but I have no idea who was harbouring the delusion that most MS games would not come to PS5 and Nintendo's next handheld as well. Phil and co. tried an insanely risky move with day one gamepass and PC releases. Unfortunately that resulted in migration to PC and consumer aversion to purchasing games, which means that software sales have cratered on XBox. The best platform for selling games is Nintendo, a captive audience that pays 60 USD for absolutely anemic crapware like Mario Party (I am also guilty of this) driving it to multi-million sales is quite lucrative.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So than they are going third party but just saying it in a different way. Xbox will still be there but it’s a stripped down pc if you wanna buy it.

Wonder what this does to their cloud initiative

Last edited:
eYmre2g.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Playing MLB the show over the week made me realize just how complacent sony can get, and just how lazy multiplatform releases can be. MS already struggles with quality (See redfall and forza's PC release), i dont know if i want their devs going multiplatform and chasing trends.

That said, the positive side of this is that MS could potentially release a powerful $1,000 next gen console with all kinds of fancy new tech for path tracing. it will appeal to the more affluent and older millennial userbase and there is plenty of them. if the economy doesnt crash, there will be a bigger market for it than either sony or ms think.

Sony might also ease up on signing up third party exclusives and maybe invest that money back into first party games. get those games out faster. im honestly baffled that sony spent god knows how many millions on buying up godfall, deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken, stellar blade, rise of ronin, ff7 rebirth and ff16. i dont think i love any of those games. i somewhat liked ff16 but the rest, thanks but no thanks. give me first party games instead. of course, if they have a monopoly would they continue to invest in those first party games? i honestly dont know, but im trying to look at the positives here.

LordOfChaos

Bring on Halo Whizbang or whatever the next thing is on PS5.

Going mobile and niche like Steam Deck for hardware might be better for them, and they might end up making more by just publishing everywhere.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For the past ~13 years they were doing it wrong. They are in this position today because of their choices mainly.
I'd agree with that, but they didn't intentionally make the wrong choices. And unfortunately they can't build a time machine and go back and undo it, so they have to work with what they got now.

Embearded

I'd agree with that, but they didn't intentionally make the wrong choices. And unfortunately they can't build a time machine and go back and undo it, so they have to work with what they got now.
Yes i don't think they intentionally did it.
I am not gonna reorat myself about their mistakes and how they should have handled them, you are right, no time machine so no reason for that.

It's a shame if they become a third party. Personally i don't own an Xbox and was never intrigued to get one. But i need them for stronger competition.

Ill only share this.

XBox fans like this have probably the weirdest parasocial relationship in human history with a corp exec (Phil Spencer). If I am not mistaken, this is the same retard that sang the cringe AF 'All hail spencer' song. Why would you attach this way to a corp exec or gaming brand, bringing this upon yourself? I used to lurk GAF when the PS4 released and we got the good ol' Kaz gifs, it was funny AF and in general taking the mickey out of Kaz. Then Xbox fans took that template and made it cringe AF and devolved it to Spencer woorhip.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sony might also ease up on signing up third party exclusives and maybe invest that money back into first party games.
The difference between forum talk and official comments from SIE is that they see both internally and externally developed games as 'first-party'. For Hiroki Totoki, all the money spent on Stellar Blade is first-party investment, and saying that they should only give money for internally developed projects is dumb; Sony has never worked like that, and they didn't establish three different XDEV studios for nothing.
So in the end, you will see more Rise of the Ronins going forward (and I'm all for it).

Klayzer

The difference between forum talk and official comments from SIE is that they see both internally and externally developed games as 'first-party'. For Hiroki Totoki, all the money spent on Stellar Blade is first-party investment, and saying that they should only give money for internally developed projects is dumb; Sony has never worked like that, and they didn't establish three different XDEV studios for nothing.
So in the end, you will see more Rise of the Ronins going forward (and I'm all for it).
Give me those outside developed projects like, Stellar, Ronin, Nioh, GrandBlue, etc. Played and enjoyed those games, more than any of their internal projects.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Sony might also ease up on signing up third party exclusives and maybe invest that money back into first party games. get those games out faster. im honestly baffled that sony spent god knows how many millions on buying up godfall, deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken, stellar blade, rise of ronin, ff7 rebirth and ff16. i dont think i love any of those games. i somewhat liked ff16 but the rest, thanks but no thanks. give me first party games instead. of course, if they have a monopoly would they continue to invest in those first party games? i honestly dont know, but im trying to look at the positives here.
I think you're going to see the opposite. Had it not been for Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, and FF7:Rebirth, Helldivers 2 would have been the only exclusive the first half of this year.

Hopefully they're organizing their studios to better manage a release cadence, but they need 3rd party to fill in those gaps. If they can make it exclusive, even better from their perspective.

Last edited:
It's interesting. We're likely to see two distinct approaches to handhelds in the coming years from Microsoft and Sony, but the key difference will be Microsoft's handheld will be a portable PC while Sony's while be a Portable PlayStation.

Ironically, Microsoft's handheld will likely play PlayStation games on it, UNLESS Sony pulls their current or future games from Steam and pushes for their own PC storefront and prevents that storefront from running on Microsoft's handheld, which will be difficult to do.

Sony will probably have an advantage in Asia and Europe, but ultimately depending on price, they might be outmaneuvered. They will really have to win out on price and volume.

MarkMe2525

So, a short-lived project?

PoZ7VNW.jpeg
It's hard to say without more context. What did you specifically mean when you said "games as a service model"? If I were to have read your original post outside of the context of this thread, I would have assumed you were referring to Microsoft moving away from traditional game sales and exclusively releasing games on Game Pass. This speculation does not seem to be referring to that scenario.

nial

Gold Member
Give me those outside developed projects like, Stellar, Ronin, Nioh, GrandBlue, etc. Played and enjoyed those games, more than any of their internal projects.
I would put Nioh aside, that one is more of a FFXVI exclusivity deal, as you didn't have SIE producers working on it like with Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. And I don't think they paid anything for Granblue, lol.
Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2 and Lost Soul Aside are better examples.

Ashamam

They will really have to win out on price and volume.
The moment Xbox becomes PC based Sony gets an automatic win on ease of use. By the sounds of it they probably will have a price advantage as well since Xbox will no longer eat the subsidy. Hardware volume is also an automatic win if Xbox goes niche. So I think Sony is in a pretty safe place, the only risk they have is if 3rd party devs stop supporting the console, which seems unlikely if they are the goto for performant value priced consoles.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Imagine if XDev collaborates with Microsoft in future to fund and improve the quality of their games!

I would love an Elder Scrolls collab, give em the Decima engine.

Futurama Fry GIF

Killjoy-NL

Personally, I'm happy with MS going more niche with their console. The more they differentiate it from PlayStation the better from my perspective as otherwise I end up with 2 very similar boxes next to each other.
It's probably going to be what I said a while back:
Once Xbox starts publishing games on Playstation and Nintendo, any piece of hardware they release is pretty much DOA.

They'll probably be happy with ~20M sales and brag about how they're the only cross-platform publisher with a dedicated fanbase (whoever is left over).

nial

Gold Member
Imagine if XDev collaborates with Microsoft in future to fund and improve the quality of their games!

I would love an Elder Scrolls collab, give em the Decima engine.

Futurama Fry GIF
Not even going to be considered, lmao. I wouldn't want that either.

I think it's Xover...

I loved the original Xbox, loved the Xbox 360, but Microsoft jumped the shark with the one and that was it, they never managed to correct the course.

Here's another hot take, I think a big issue is the corporate culture at Microsoft, like a lot of west coast tech companies, doesn't actually like games or gamers anymore, "gamer" has a negative connotation to the people that run these companies, this ain't the 2000s anymore.

They probably regret even getting involved in this industry, but now they're going to basically do the bare minimum out of pure momentum.

It sucks, I was always rooting for a comeback from them, but every step of the way they bungled it, like with Crackdown 3, the face of the Fable reboot protag says it all, they're not a company interested in getting back what they've lost.

Those points are all positive if you’re not a die hard xbox fan. Lower prices, frequent sales and access to Steam? Sony Monopoly all day.
I'd argue as a "die hard xbox fan", you should be happy about this (if true). Less walled garden ecosystem, better prices, competing platforms, boutique like hardware that's not forced on you to play on the Xbox platform, among many other things. Don't know how to read this other than a huge win for the consumer. I hope they make Sony look really, really old. Everything needs to become more PC like. The dystopian reality of corporate gaming monopolies and bully tactics needs to die.

Last edited:
The moment Xbox becomes PC based Sony gets an automatic win on ease of use. By the sounds of it they probably will have a price advantage as well since Xbox will no longer eat the subsidy. Hardware volume is also an automatic win if Xbox goes niche. So I think Sony is in a pretty safe place, the only risk they have is if 3rd party devs stop supporting the console, which seems unlikely if they are the goto for performant value priced consoles.

You definitely didn't read my post...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox console business died last year, 2023 was the cause.

I think MS gave Xbox so many chances over the years and I can imagine that Xbox were feeding up that 2023 will be the year they see a shift of it turning around.

Then all the games critically flopped
(Not you HiFi Rush, you're awesome)
Starfield and Forza landed like wet farts and console sales flatlined.

That was the death of Xbox as we know it.

Tbh, this is the best news for me personally if it's true. Give me the most powerful Xbox i can get and let me put steam on it, keep my existing library of xbox software and let me buy games where I want?

Couple that with an Xbox handheld?
OK!

Sounds good to me. I think there's a serious silver lining here. Probably all came from MS and xbox are now just doing what daddy says.

Top Bottom