• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Year Later, Redfall Players Who Spent $100 Are Still Waiting For Its Promised Extra Heroes

Draugoth

Gold Member
Players were excited at the prospect that Redfall might combine the fun co-op loot mechanics of a Borderlands with the bespoke environmental storytelling of a Dishonored. Ultimately, though, the day-one Game Pass blockbuster didn’t quite accomplish either of these things, and it was burdened at launch by bugs, performance issues, and weird gameplay issues to boot. Now fans who spent $100 on the deluxe edition are still waiting on the two post-launch DLC heroes they were promised at the time.

Redfall exists as a novelty from a once great studio that has neither lived up to its hype or the promises,” a player, who goes by Obvious on Discord and is one of the $100 edition owners, told Kotaku. “It’s better than it ever was, which makes it just about reach ‘mediocre’ but it never got the Cyberpunk treatment and probably never will, but I’d be happily proven wrong in this case.”

They had hoped the DLC heroes would be released as part of a big Halloween update last year, and haven’t played the game in months.

“The fact it’s taken over a year now shows Redfall either hit issues or they hadn’t even started [on the DLC], which is bizarre,” Obvious said. “Some people think they might be working on it behind the scenes for another big release at some point, but I’m starting to lose hope in that.”

Redfall, developed by Arkane Austin, was Microsoft’s first Xbox Series X/S game with a next-gen price tag of $70. Players hyped for the squad-based shooter about killing vampires in a small Stephen King-esque New England town went above and beyond and purchased the Bite Back Edition for $100 (which is still for sale on Xbox, Steam, and the Microsoft Store). In addition to a laser beam skin, tactical knife stake weapon attachment, and alternative outfits for the four main characters—Jacob, Layla, Remi, and Devinder—it also included the Redfall Hero Pass for “two future heroes” that would be added to the always-online shooter down the road.

3db4aadfdf46fa6d5488b7000d44315e.jpg

What about the new characters? “We’re continuing development of The Hero Pass and we’re excited to share more about Redfall’s new heroes and other updates later next year,” the development team wrote in the patch notes last November. Nearly six months later, there’s been no further update on the status of the missing DLC, or whether Redfall still has a future as former Bethesda VP Pete Hines had previously promised. Many fans were hoping for an update on the one-year anniversary of the game’s May 2, 2023 release, or possibly even a surprise shadow drop. Instead, the Redfall Twitter account hasn’t posted in 30 days. The last tweet reads, “that’s bait.”

via Kotaku

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Developers/Studios/Publishers who promise post-release content as part of the original cost of the game (whether via the base edition, or a Digital Deluxe, an Ultimate edition, et cetera) should be required to have a public roadmap that is updated monthly to show progress.

Quantum253

“two future heroes” that would be added to the always-online shooter down the road."

Keep kicking that can. Future is going keep you waiting

Players were excited at the prospect that Redfall might combine the fun co-op loot mechanics of a Borderlands with the bespoke environmental storytelling of a Dishonored. Ultimately, though, the day-one Game Pass blockbuster didn’t quite accomplish either of these things, and it was burdened at launch by bugs, performance issues, and weird gameplay issues to boot. Now fans who spent $100 on the deluxe edition are still waiting on the two post-launch DLC heroes they were promised at the time.

They had hoped the DLC heroes would be released as part of a big Halloween update last year, and haven’t played the game in months.

Redfall, developed by Arkane Austin, was Microsoft’s first Xbox Series X/S game with a next-gen price tag of $70. Players hyped for the squad-based shooter about killing vampires in a small Stephen King-esque New England town went above and beyond and purchased the Bite Back Edition for $100 (which is still for sale on Xbox, Steam, and the Microsoft Store). In addition to a laser beam skin, tactical knife stake weapon attachment, and alternative outfits for the four main characters—Jacob, Layla, Remi, and Devinder—it also included the Redfall Hero Pass for “two future heroes” that would be added to the always-online shooter down the road.

3db4aadfdf46fa6d5488b7000d44315e.jpg

What about the new characters? “We’re continuing development of The Hero Pass and we’re excited to share more about Redfall’s new heroes and other updates later next year,” the development team wrote in the patch notes last November. Nearly six months later, there’s been no further update on the status of the missing DLC, or whether Redfall still has a future as former Bethesda VP Pete Hines had previously promised. Many fans were hoping for an update on the one-year anniversary of the game’s May 2, 2023 release, or possibly even a surprise shadow drop. Instead, the Redfall Twitter account hasn’t posted in 30 days. The last tweet reads, “that’s bait.”

via Kotaku
A bloody joke is what this is. Shame on MS and Arkane. Lead people on only to shit on them later. They may never get the new heroes out sadly and what happened to the patch they were working on to disable the online requirement? They tried to explain the reason for it and it was utter rubbish……something about telemetry. They said they were working on this offline playable patch as of last year after the game came out and like the new heroes it has gone to complete radio silence. These wankers along with MS should be ashamed of themselves for scamming people out of their money for this shortcoming. This is yet another reason why the Xbox brand is in the toilet. Where is the accountability for all of this Lord Phil? He is the main reason for this as well as everything else that has made Xbox become utter shite.

Last edited:
A bloody joke is what this is. Shame on MS and Arkane. Lead people on only to shit on them later. They may never get the new heroes out sadly and what happened to the patch they were working on to disable the online requirement? They tried to explain the reason for it and it was utter rubbish……something about telemetry. They said they were working on this offline playable patch as of last year after the game came out and like the new heroes it has gone to complete radio silence. These wankers along with MS should be ashamed of themselves for scamming people out of their money for this shortcoming. This is yet another reason why the Xbox brand is in the toilet. Where is the accountability for all of this Lord Phil? He is the main reason for this as well as everything else that has made Xbox become utter shite.

Well said! This is NO SURPRISE to anyone who has been closely following the actions of Phil and MS over the last 3 years

Reminds me of how 343 fucked up the xb1x version of the MCC during the Halo Reach update ..they fucked up the once smooth framerate for Halo 1 and 2 campaigns and turned those 2 games into a stuttering mess ...they just ..never bothered to try to fix their error so anyone who didn't own a Series X was screwed.

Anyone who doesn't think Phil is to blame for these kinda things needs to reevaluate themselves.

Well said! This is NO SURPRISE to anyone who has been closely following the actions of Phil and MS over the last 3 years

Reminds me of how 343 fucked up the xb1x version of the MCC during the Halo Reach update ..they fucked up the once smooth framerate for Halo 1 and 2 campaigns and turned those 2 games into a stuttering mess ...they just ..never bothered to try to fix their error so anyone who didn't own a Series X was screwed.

Anyone who doesn't think Phil is to blame for these kinda things needs to reevaluate themselves.
Yes Phil is solely responsible for all their fumbles. He is in charge of Xbox and the decisions made. He is an absolute clown and his actions show he could care less.

Last edited:
well, i'm that rare moron who was basically okay with redfall for the most part. yeah, clunky/chaotic as hell, but it kept me amused long enough to satisfy me...

but, this? I'd completely fucking forgotten about this. man, some seriously messed up, pete molyneux style deja vu here...

Crew511A

I don't even feel sorry for these people. This game looked like a dumpster fire the day it was announced. And buying these "special editions" only encourages the predatory behavior.

rm082e

I'd like to think they have a big overhaul of this game in bound and it's going to have a No Man's Sky or Cyberpunk like redemption arc. They'll fix a bunch of the problems, deliver new content for free, etc.

I'd like to think that...but you know...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too bad for you gamers there's nothing you can do about it. There's probably TOS too saying they dont have to do it. Good luck.

When I bought a brand new investment condo, it wasnt build right as the sink they installed in the kitchen was a single sink. Not a double as I chose as the option in writing. I told the builder WTF, gimme a double sink as per the purchase agreement. They offered me a choice between rehauling the kitchen for the sink I wanted or $2,000 pay out in cash. I took the cash.

Good luck gamers. Hey, you never know. Maybe they'll offer you $20 back. lol

Last edited:

Salz01

They are doing pass holders a favor. If there is no new content, then they spare you from playing anymore of this pos game.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
This game is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
Yeah, people are usually underestimating how atrocious it actially is. Considering that this barely working turd was produced by the same team that brought us such immersive sim gem as Prey.

Whole Redfall debacle is sort of perfect illustration of Phil Spencer as a boss. He greenlit this game, pushed it until the very end and allocated quite a solid marketing budget to it. Despite the fact that co-op looter-shooter was not a good idea for butique dev like Arkane to begin with. Then Xbox leadership (it was Greenberg IIRC) promised us some sort of redemption arc, but all we've got was a lousy '60fps' patch that barely fixed or added anything. Then the game just died out, along with Austin Texas. Studio lost like 90% of veteran devs.

This is a perfect illustration of the fact that no amount of money, copium and delusions from your top management (we know this thanks to HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 ) will save you if you're an idiot.

P.S. It is also funny that Xbox marketed Redfall way-way more than it markets Hellblade 2 right now. Tbh Hellblade 2 marketing is so muted less than one month before release you can call it non-existent, which not bodes well for the game too.

People really think they are still working on this game? For who?? All 10 players who still give a shit? 😂

In a normal gaming climate not run by incompetent grifting suits? Yes, typically a company would feel the need to deliver the promised content to try to salvage their reputation as a company that doesn't screw people. But there's no integrity left at Microsoft under Phil Spencer and we've all seen how far some fans will go to pretend stuff like this is acceptable.

This is the game Phil apparently took responsibility for fixing, remember? After it was their first $70 game and turned out to be a bit of a fraud of a product at launch. Remember, he even admitted to them showing trailers in 60 fps when the game was only ever 30 at that time?

A good leader wouldve focused hardcore on turning this game around but we live in strange times.

Top Bottom