• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of Bad Ass Lead Characters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
metal-gear-snake-1-550x309.jpg
god-of-war-ragnarok-kratos.jpg
f834xvfxdft81.jpg

Recently I made a thread about the mt. Rushmore of bad ass lead characters in games. We had the usual suspects like Snake, Leon, Ryu Hyabusa, Kratos, etc etc.

Which sparked me to make this thread. When was the last iconic, bad ass, franchise figure face character introduced?

It feels like that died long long ago. In some respects it may be Bayonetta, but even she isn’t necessarily super bad ass. Moreso iconic.

Are we overdue for a new lead giga chad male?

Edit: I should clarify. There is still one off cool characters, but rarely are they :

-Iconic
-In multiple games
-generally though of as cool

Last edited:

Arsic

mario.png

Dies, comes back to life every time, sparked franchises, merch, movies, spinoffs, food(s), theme parks, worldwide mindshare, decades in the game.

Idk that Mario constitutes as a most recent iconic bad ass character. Your argument would be he’s a staple.

I’m trying to determine why we don’t get franchise face bad asses anymore, and when did this die off. Who was the last one?

mortal

Gold Member
There are probably fewer because the market has changed. More games now feature light RPG elements and character creation where players can customize the look of the protagonist. So less iconic character designs in general, even badass ones.

Denton

I am literally just playing Ghost of Tsushima and Jin Sakai is pretty bad ass.

Henry from Kingdom Come starts as iliterate peasant and goes through events that make him a bad ass knight.

V in Cyberpunk is pretty bad ass, putting aside the whole terminal ilness from an implant kind of thing.

And let's not forget, the biggest pair of bad asses that have ever bad assed

htMnxRNrJVTpSFSbvWWYV6.jpg

Arsic

I am literally just playing Ghost of Tsushima and Jin Sakai is pretty bad ass.

Henry from Kingdom Come starts as iliterate peasant and goes through events that make him a bad ass knight.

V in Cyberpunk is pretty bad ass, putting aside the whole terminal ilness from an implant kind of thing.

And let's not forget, the biggest pair of bad asses that have ever bad assed

htMnxRNrJVTpSFSbvWWYV6.jpg

All of these right now are one offs.

Jin has the potential if a sequel hits to be that dude.

We will need to see what happens to Henry in part 2.

I love disco to death but cmon lol.

Cyberpunk is a one off make your own character for V.

Underrated but male V for me is just awesome. I wanna play as him again in the next Cyberpunk and since the DLC adds a new ending that changes things, there may be a chance.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't people want more representation?
I know I don't relate to the modern characters these days but they're representative of some beta male and ignored insecure woman out there.

The most recent that I would give a shit about is probably Isaac, from Dead Space.
Franchise Unlocked(3 games that got progressively worse, thank you EA), got a remake in HD, successful in my eyes but since it's EA, they demolish studios for barely moving an eyelash. EA ruined the series, not the other way around. Otherwise, every other character I can think of, aside from maybe Max Payne can get fucked; unless someone here reminds me of someone I hadn't thought of, that's actually worth mentioning.

Ugh, I just went on a mini rant. I'm goin' to work.

Aion002

Modern ones:

The Wolf from Sekiro (dude kills everything and everyone to save his master, because he wants to).

from software sekiro GIF

Pinocchio from Lies of P (a robot that gains humanity, kills zombies, other robots, crazy alchemists and his creator, because he choose to).

Blue Butterfly GIF by Xbox

Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima: "Honor died on the beach, I will poison those fuckers and win!"

Video Games Dancing GIF by PlayStation

Arsic

"badass" was never a badass term to begin with i think, things started to go downhill from there.
Put whatever word you want on it but basically :
-Iconic
-In multiple games
-Generally thought of as a cool character

The cover box character. Chief, Ryu, Kratos, Dante, Snake, etc.

It does feel like Doom Slayer is currently it.

Maybe Cal from Respawns Jedi games?

Trilobit

Hunted by the cops and even starts dating one of the cops.
Very cool with vibes of George Clooney.
In several games, equally cool in each. Beats bad guys with his strength and wicked agility!

XCZyplW.jpg

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I was thinking this too but it also applies for movies and other entertainment.

Like as an example, remember when some Star Wars characters used to be pretty cool?

Now you don't get a badass and cool male character anymore and I don't think we need to explain why that is.

Top Bottom