• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

Orbital2060

Excited Arrested Development GIF

Only sales it will harm is Xbox one,, and that will be replaced by mtx.

Bit of an assumption to think that it will be replaced by MTX. I don't think they will lose money on COD by putting it on GP but I do think they will make less money and that will decrease the overall revenue ABK is bringing in. Should be interesting to see how that affects all the ABK revenue.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Bit of an assumption to think that it will be replaced by MTX. I don't think they will lose money on COD by putting it on GP but I do think they will make less money and that will decrease the overall revenue ABK is bringing in. Should be interesting to see how that affects all the ABK revenue.
Not really. Mtx will replace them, because people will not feel the guilt of spending 70$.

All they see is game pass cod and cheap package.

Three

Insane if you ask me.

Probably the most expensive (and risky) Hail Mary of all time across the industry.
Not really, It was clear they would do it. They know it will hurt sales but they're more interested in maintaining gamepass subs for the year and possibly people ending up paying more. That and charging for microtransactions and battle/season passes. Activison made more money from Apple and Google than PS or xbox and half of engagement for the entire franchise is on mobile. It's about the mtx money now for this franchise. They've just gone "not even f2p" on gamepass. It's not risky or insane financially speaking. They might even put prices up to make back more too.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

RickMasters

I'm happy as a Game Pass subscriber, but I think there's legitimate concern that this is going to devalue/lower direct sales of COD games from here on out.

HUGE risk for MS, and this decision could impact the entire gaming landscape. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don’t think it devalues cod at all. Most people will still buy it on PS anyway so I guess that balances things out. Maybe it only moves the needle for COD die hard who play nothing else and actually sells a few extra Xbox’s but most will still buy it on PS. They get money from subscribers in the form of GPU every month plus battles passes. They sell it on PlayStation plus battle passes. They will be fine…..

Besides….Most people on the gaf want cod to die anyway. So maybe they should see this perceived (in their eyes) “devaluing” as a good thing? They get to watch the franchise they hate go down the drain with the console they hate. I thought people would be happy about this.🤷🏾‍♂️

Nydius

If they weren't going to buy it, its not a loss of revenue. Do you really think half of Gamepass subscribers buy COD?

It is a potential mtx customer though

What? COD is one of the largest sellers on both platforms. I’m not talking about people who wouldn’t have bought it, I’m talking about people who would have but who now will not because it’s “free” on Game Pass. Each one of those will be lost revenue.

People still out here deluding themselves that MTX is going to keep games afloat instead of box sales. If that’s the case, why didn’t Activison make COD a completely F2P game years ago?

This is going to absolutely blow up in Microsoft’s face, same way Starfield did. Cutting off almost half of their revenue base to try and grow a stagnant subscription service.

DaGwaphics

People without gamepass have also been saying how it will eventually kill xbox which many chose to ignore because "best deal in gaming", but here we are. Let's keep waving away all the valid criticism.

MS is killing Xbox with PS ports (and before the actual releases constantly hinting about them) and along with that just the gradual decline of interest due to the brand dominance around them, that doesn't have much to do with GP.

Last edited:

dem

What? COD is one of the largest sellers on both platforms. I’m not talking about people who wouldn’t have bought it, I’m talking about people who would have but who now will not because it’s “free” on Game Pass. Each one of those will be lost revenue.

People still out here deluding themselves that MTX is going to keep games afloat instead of box sales. If that’s the case, why didn’t Activison make COD a completely F2P game years ago?

This is going to absolutely blow up in Microsoft’s face, same way Starfield did. Cutting off almost half of their revenue base to try and grow a stagnant subscription service.

You think Xbox is half of their revenue?

You think pc gamers are going to sign up en masse to gamepass to skip buying COD? (Btw.. MS wishes this would happen)

Ok Mr Finance

Last edited:

RickMasters

It wont hurt PS sales obviously and likely wont move the needle on PC sales as my guess is the vast majority play on Battlenet

So how big of a chunk were actual Xbox sales and would this move have more people looking at the in game store and buying battlepasses and MTX in game?
I’d imagine so. If you buy cod every year on Xbox, at the moment that’s suddenly 80 bucks you can spend on battle passes and skins etc.

I know I’d rather not buy COD every year. It’s like fifa and madden. I used to buy those two every year because it’s what my friends play… COD, and sports. I’m the weirdo that goes into ‘appear offline’ to go play halo, when I’ve had enough of COD… which happens quickly. So I’m glad to add I to that list of games I can play every year with them and NOT have to outright buy it anymore. It’s pretty much the same game every year. Just like the sports games. Lemme just buy the battle passes or dlc instead. Especially if the core game is the same every year.

Does it hurt cod sales on other platforms? I doubt it. It’s been said a million times around here already that cod on gamepass is not suddenly gonna make Xbox sell through the roof and I agree with that take. So it’s strange when people say the platform with the least consumers on it having on a sub is gonna do anything to hurt cod sales. They would have to ACTUALLY WANT an Xbox first. And that’s not happening. So I don’t think it will change anything least of all impact COD revenue. But I do agree that money will possibly be spent by GPU subscribers to buy battle passes and DLC for the game, so I’m sure it will balance out for them and there shareholders.

Pelta88

You do realize its still going to be sold to PS and PC players plus all the MTX and Battlepasses still cost actual money?

Right?

They're going to do the ABK trickery between q reports. It'll move from semi transparent to folded into something else to bury the numbers.

Wilfully losing $70 a pop from an ip with heavily front loaded sales? They'll need to introduce a CPD specific tier to GP to recoup.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’d imagine so. If you buy cod every year on Xbox, at the moment that’s suddenly 80 bucks you can spend on battle passes and skins etc.

I know I’d rather not buy COD every year. It’s like fifa and madden. I used to buy those two every year because it’s what my friends play… COD, and sports. I’m the weirdo that goes into ‘appear offline’ to go play halo, when I’ve had enough of COD… which happens quickly. So I’m glad to add I to that list of games I can play every year with them and NOT have to outright buy it anymore. It’s pretty much the same game every year. Just like the sports games. Lemme just buy the battle passes or dlc instead. Especially if the core game is the same every year.

Does it hurt cod sales on other platforms? I doubt it. It’s been said a million times around here already that cod on gamepass is not suddenly gonna make Xbox sell through the roof and I agree with that take. So it’s strange when people say the platform with the least consumers on it having on a sub is gonna do anything to hurt cod sales. They would have to ACTUALLY WANT an Xbox first. And that’s not happening. So I don’t think it will change anything least of all impact COD revenue. But I do agree that money will possibly be spent by GPU subscribers to buy battle passes and DLC for the game, so I’m sure it will balance out for them and there shareholders.
Exactly.

MW3 sales numbers at launch for just consoles were 80% on Playstation so sales will be fine

londontko

I feel like I’m missing something big here… Wasn’t this always going to be the case? Who thought they weren’t going to release it on gamepass? Wasn’t that the entire point of the Activision acquisition?

londontko

I don’t think it devalues cod at all. Most people will still buy it on PS anyway so I guess that balances things out. Maybe it only moves the needle for COD die hard who play nothing else and actually sells a few extra Xbox’s but most will still buy it on PS. They get money from subscribers in the form of GPU every month plus battles passes. They sell it on PlayStation plus battle passes. They will be fine…..

Besides….Most people on the gaf want cod to die anyway. So maybe they should see this perceived (in their eyes) “devaluing” as a good thing? They get to watch the franchise they hate go down the drain with the console they hate. I thought people would be happy about this.🤷🏾‍♂️
People on here are just as unhinged and irrational as the other place, just on the other end of the spectrum.

Breaking news (well a rumour for now since it's only "sources") - will update post more sources as they come in:

Edit: update, reuters report:

You already have to have gamepass to play COD online anyway, yes its GP core not Ultimate but I don't see this making a big change to their GP revenue. The hardcore xbox fans already are GPU members. They aren't going to attract people from PlayStation with this either, the game is on PS5 and they are already in that ecosystem so why would they buy an xbox series x/s and then pay MS over $200 a year to play it for "free"?

Not really COD related, but you know what I'd actually consider resubbing to GP if they bring all of it to Steam (refuse to deal with that shitty MS Store).

DeepSpace5D

I guess they are banking on the PlayStation version retaining its sales and still getting a good amount of sales on PC. The sales on Xbox will tank, but if it drives up their GamePass numbers it could be worth it to them.

I’m not sure if it’s a bad idea to be honest. It depends on a number of things, like how many PC sales will get affected. If they increase the price of GamePass to make up for the loss in sales however, that could put a limit on how many subscribers they will gain.

If anything it’s an interesting experiment that I’m curious to see the results of. I don’t personally see this as the same situation as a first-party Xbox exclusive losing its sales due to gamepass, because of the multiplatform nature of CoD.

I feel like I’m missing something big here… Wasn’t this always going to be the case? Who thought they weren’t going to release it on gamepass? Wasn’t that the entire point of the Activision acquisition?
that's was the idea before everything went to the shitter.

Now they have been debating furiously a way to justify CoD on Game Pass.

Three

Because COD was always selling great but not as great now, and they did make a f2p CoD called warzone. This isn't free however, you still have to buy it or pay for GP as well as mtx if you want that. They're trading some CoD sales for subscription sales month after month. People don't play CoD for a single week. They will end up paying more over the long run.

Last edited:
oh boy.... the Xbox Community never Learns. now they think that "xbox is back" cuz CoD will be on GP.

1.Not confirmed
2.even in Phil/Nadella's crazy wet dreams were COD converts 100% of CoD players to GP. (around 30M NEW subscribers) ... that's it. next year there will be no other 30M NEW subs. nonetheless GP will continue to have a deficit of around 70M subs
8FWngWT.jpeg

Raven117

Clearly the hail mary pass.

If people buy xbox hardware and/or pick up a full price Gamepass subscription to play CoD...in enough numbers....then it could save them.

Otherwise, its adios Xbox. This is it.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
oh boy.... the Xbox Community never Learns. now they think that "xbox is back" cuz CoD will be on GP.

1.Not confirmed
2.even in Phil/Nadella's crazy wet dreams were COD converts 100% of CoD players to GP. (around 30M NEW subscribers) ... that's it. next year there will be no other 30M NEW subs. nonetheless GP will continue to have a deficit of around 70M subs
8FWngWT.jpeg

All that bullshit you just typed up as a reply to something no one here is saying or implying.

i feel bad for you bill hader GIF by Team Coco

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They have to do a higher tier of Gamepass for this.

I wonder what has the bigger player base, Warzone or Multiplayer. I would assume Warzone because it's free, but COD has done a good job I think of pairing progression in Warzone to Multiplayer and Zombies. I know I opted to play just Warzone until I figured out Zombies was the easiest way to get the guns and attachments I wanted. So I ended up buying last year's COD just for that purpose.

Gamepass would be an option at the end of the day, and one that still can lead to a purchase, but I think this will finally resolve the argument of whether a game can really bolster gamepass subs or not.

Starfield was...problematic and divisive, but COD is pretty much universally loved if the sales are anything to go by. This COD has to be a banger though. None of that WWII or Vanguard bullshit. An actual campaign worth it's weight.

I guess we'll know more June 9th.

And people who don’t have gamepass are upset by this… somehow..
Who exactly are the gaf members who are upset about this?
The ones that exist only in your imagination?
You're the first poster in this thread to mention emotions of any kind.

This post belongs in the dictionary right next to the word disengenous.

dem

Who exactly are the gaf members who are upset about this?
The ones that exist only in your imagination?
You're the first poster in this thread to mention emotions of any kind.

This post belongs in the dictionary right next to the word disengenous.

Sorry. I’m wrong. The deranged lunatics who do nothing but doom post about Microsoft and the evils of gamepass aren’t upset.

You’re right. They are absolutely giddy, for some reason. Whether COD was in gamepass, or wasn’t in Gamepass.. they would be giddy about it and doom posting all the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom