• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Perfect Dark is in a rough state

Draugoth

Gold Member
perfect-dark-xbox-games-trend-stealth-shooter.jpg
On the Giant Bomb podcast:

Full quote:
"The fallout from this (today's layoffs), been hearing more and more.. been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state, sounds like it's in a very rough state"
"And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since then (since the announcement) and like Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that.."
Regarding first person shooter aspect:
"It sounds like they don't even know if that's what they want to do with that"

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Indie developers making cool games like Balatro and Manor Lords.

Meanwhile, AAA studios with millions of dollars to back them after years of development: "we are not even sure of what we are doing! ha ha!"

Bridges

Honestly they should've cancelled this and shut down The Initiative and kept Tango.

Tango games don't sell but at least they deliver quality products, good add-ons for Game Pass.

The Initiative was announced during that first wave of new acquisitions and they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I think it's fair to say that the whole industry in the West is going through a competence crisis from top to bottom. Of course, nobody wants to open that can of worms because they know where that conversation leads. It's better to blame capitalism, AAA, or some other straw man.

The same could be said about a few PS studios that have not produced anything in 4-5 years, which is fucking outrageous. But I'm sure they don't miss yoga sessions and Friday brunch.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That's the one game they cannot fuck up in my eyes. Do not. Fuck up. Perfect Dark.

And do not cancel development or close the studios you fucks!

I've got an idea rather than dissolving your teams, how about you fire the fucking idiots that are supposed to be managing them? What a shit show.

Start with Phil and work your way down.
I know you mean well but it's very obvious that killing a studio is way more cost effective than firing just management.

clarky

Gold Member
I know you mean well but it's very obvious that killing a studio is way more cost effective than firing just management.
By management I mean Phil and the shower of shite that follows him around, not the actual studio management, although in some cases that's not a bad idea as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Step 1, make the first ever AAAA studio. Step 2, announce what they're going to make before they make anything. Step 3, realize they suck at making games. Step 4, bring in a veteran studio to help. Step 5, realize that the AAAA studio is so bad at making games that even the veteran studio can't help.

Seriously how do you fuck up Perfect Dark? And they did that once already.

StueyDuck

Banned
Step 1, make the first ever AAAA studio. Step 2, announce what they're going to make before they make anything. Step 3, realize they suck at making games. Step 4, bring in a veteran studio to help. Step 5, realize that the AAAA studio is so bad at making games that even the veteran studio can't help.

Seriously how do you fuck up Perfect Dark? And they did that once already.
It sounded like perfect dark in name only by all the rumors...

Focus on some weird end of the world weather phenomenon. More stealth based. I think even third person was mentioned in rumors way back when.

phant0m

Indie developers making cool games like Balatro and Manor Lords.

Meanwhile, AAA studios with millions of dollars to back them after years of development: "we are not even sure of what we are doing! ha ha!"

Once again: too many cooks. In. The. Fucking. Kitchen.

Design by committee doesn’t fucking work the vast majority of the time. This is why you have a game director to keep the team(s) focused on scope and vision.

But now we have consultants

Top Bottom