• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘A f***ing gut stab’: Arkane boss criticises Microsoft execs for studio closures

Topher

Gold Member
“YOU SAY WE MAKE YOU PROUD WHEN WE MAKE A GOOD GAME. MAKE US PROUD WHEN TIMES ARE TOUGH.”

dinga-1280x640.jpg

Arkane Lyon boss Dinga Bakaba has publicly criticised Microsoft executives for their decision to close several studios, including its Austin studio, calling the news “a fucking gut stab”.

On Tuesday, the Xbox maker told staff at four studios, including Redfall maker Arkane Austin, that they are planned for closure. Games boss Matt Booty claimed that some staff would be moved to other teams and others would be laid off.

Bakaba, the creative director of the critically acclaimed Deathloop and currently working on Blade, responded to the news on X with an unusually frank and critical message than we’re used to seeing from somebody running a first-party studio.

“This is absolutely terrible,” he wrote. “Permission to be human: to any executive reading this, friendly reminder that video games are an entertainment/cultural industry, and your business as a corporation is to take care of your artists/entertainers and help them create value for you.”

He added: “Don’t throw us into gold fever gambits, don’t use us as strawmen for miscalculations/blind spots, don’t make our work environments darwinist jungles. You say we make you proud when we make a good game. Make us proud when times are tough. We know you can, we seen it before.

Chqjoq4.png

“For now, great teams are sunsetting before our eyes again, and it’s a fucking gut stab. Lyon is safe, but please be tactful and discerning about all this, and respect affected folks’ voice and leave it room to be heard, it’s their story to tell, their feelings to express.”

Arkane Austin is planned to close alongside Hi-Fi Rush studio Tango Gameworks, Elder Scrolls Online co-developer Roundhouse, and Mighty Doom developer Alpha Dog.

The Austin team, which was initally set up in 2006, worked on the first Dishonored alongside other Arkane teams, before developing the 2017 version of Prey on its own.

Most recently, the studio was responsible for Redfall, which was released in 2023 to technical issues and an underwhelming critical reception (the game currently has a Metacritic score of 56).

Its closure means that planned ‘Hero Pass’ DLC for the game, which had remained in development despite the game’s bad launch, has now been cancelled, with all development on the game now ended.

Players who had previously pre-ordered the game and were expecting to get the Hero Pass as part of their order will now be getting “make-good offers” instead, according to Xbox.

The news of the studio closures follows confirmation earlier this year that 1,900 staff would be laid off across Activision Blizzard, Bethesda and Xbox.

According to head of gaming Phil Spencer at the time, the decision had been made after Microsoft and Activision Blizzard’s leadership teams “set priorities, identified areas of overlap, and ensured that we’re all aligned on the best opportunities for growth”.

Arkane Lyon Game Director calling out Microsoft.

Matthew Broderick GIF

yazenov

Did they disclose how many people were in Arkane Austin, Tango Gameworks, and Roundhouse? The total staff?

Honestly no one got shafted more than MS on Redfall. I think Zenimax took them for a ride, and it's part of why Pete Hines isn't there anymore. Paid to delay it and remove the crappy GAAS stuff they didn't have the manpower or desire to do. Marketed the game heavily. Probably got lied to by Zenimax about internal reviews. Then it comes out and bombs so hard it hurts the whole Xbox brand when they needed a big win. Then Phil has to literally apologize for it in a live interview. Then they give them another year to fix it and put out the DLC and they still can't. I don't know what this guy expected honestly. And I like Redfall, but the way the game was handled by the Zenimax side was mistake after mistake. And then he publicly calls out his bosses when they don't want to fund this whole studio rebuilding after the talent exodus and starting another 5 year project when they are exiting the traditional console business.

I get being pissed about Tango, but you have a much harder time defending Arkane and acting like some of this isn't predictable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly no one got shafted more than MS on Redfall. I think Zenimax took them for a ride, and it's part of why Pete Hines isn't there anymore. Paid to delay it and remove the crappy GAAS stuff they didn't have the manpower or desire to do. Marketed the game heavily. Probably got lied to by Zenimax about internal reviews. Then it comes out and bombs so hard it hurts the whole Xbox brand when they needed a big win. Then Phil has to literally apologize for it in a live interview. Then they give them another year to fix it and put out the DLC and they still can't. I don't know what this guy expected honestly. And I like Redfall, but the way the game was handled by the Zenimax side was mistake after mistake. And then he publicly calls out his bosses when they don't want to fund this whole studio rebuilding after the talent exodus and starting another 5 year project when they are exiting the traditional console business.

I get being pissed about Tango, but you have a much harder time defending Arkane and acting like some of this isn't predictable.
Except this is how most Microsoft studios have operated. Like how is this different from 343 until Mommy Ross got fired?

kiphalfton

Both Arkane Lyon and Arkane Austin have had some stinkers

Lyon: Wolfenstein Youngblood and Wolfenstein Cyber Pilot

Austin: Redfall

So not like Lyon is safe from the chopping block (even if they are making the upcoming Blade game; not like that can't be scrapped).

In any case it's sad to see Arkane Austin close, knowing they made Prey.

Last edited:
Except this is how most Microsoft studios have operated. Like how is this different from 343 until Mommy Ross got fired?
Halo Infinite is good. I think they needed to give up on their engine though, and it sounds like they have. The main thing they failed on was the GAAS portion, and we've seen even the best studios in the world fail at that - like Naughty Dog and Rocksteady. And 343 mans one of MS's most valuable IP. There's lots of differences.

SHA

MS can't get over expectations, that's their limit unfortunately, companies and studios now know the differences and should no longer take risks.

HL3.exe

Based Bakaba.

Hope Bear and Smith (both Deus Ex 1 and Dishonored veterans) still land on their feet in game dev. I could see them leaving after this.

Last edited:

LRKD

In the past 10 years, Arkane has made a grand total of 0 great games. Not at all upset to see them gone, and the idea that they got gut stabbed is laughable. I don't think Microsoft is at all in the wrong for canning them or those other two studios. From the outside Tango Gameworks does seem like a bad choice to lay off atm though, give them at least one more game. But idk maybe there are some huge redflags behind the scenes.

Roni

Gold Member
In the past 10 years, Arkane has made a grand total of 0 great games. Not at all upset to see them gone, and the idea that they got gut stabbed is laughable. I don't think Microsoft is at all in the wrong for canning them or those other two studios. From the outside Tango Gameworks does seem like a bad choice to lay off atm though, give them at least one more game. But idk maybe there are some huge redflags behind the scenes.
Pearls before swine...

Cyberpunkd

Hi Phil.

near

Gold Member
I doubt he cares at this point. This is him burning bridges and will look for work else where.
It's never healthy to publicly scrutinize your partners, especially if you're planning to look for new ones. In this case they're not he's partners, they own he's studio and pay he's salary.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best way to keep a job is make quality products that sell.

Redfall did the studio, gamers, MS, and any retailer selling discs no favours with a lousy game people avoided.

As I said earlier today in one of the other threads about studio closure, the unfortunate thing about gaming is when a game goes to the shitter there’s a good chance the bosses will just nuke the studio instead of trying again with another project. That’s how gaming works I guess.

At my company, we’re big and profitable too (not like MS though) and we have our share of product line stinkers. But it’s not like the entire marketing team in charge of launching it gets canned. They move to the next product line and hope it goes well. Maybe some people get cut but not the entire team. But gaming seems to be all or nothing sometimes.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is crazy. Microsoft needs content. Content is made by people. It’s not like these people are not talented. They could be moved to other projects.

This is another one of those “we need to bring costs below this line” moves by the most valuable company in the world.

Tango carried them the first half of 2023. Had them make the game for PS5 so they could make more money from it and then shut down the studio.

Next time Phil says he cares about Japan, remember this.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Does anyone know what the state of Tango Gameworks was before the announcement? When Shinji Mikami opened Kamuy in March, I feel like folks who went to Tango in the first place to work with Mikami would inevitably depart to work with him again at his new studio.

Pure speculation on my part.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Best way to keep a job is make quality products that sell.

Redfall did the studio, gamers, MS, and any retailer selling discs no favours with a lousy game people avoided.
Hi-Fi Rush did very well according to Microsoft.

And the IC devs at Arkane Austin aren’t a bunch of incompetent idiots. Leadership failed them. Replace those guys. Let the team move on to something else.

Top Bottom