• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zuckerberg: "Quest 2 Is On Track To Be The First Mainstream VR Headset”

Romulus

Can this run half-life alyx or any of the more known VR games?

I had never even considered one of these until now. Only experience with VR was a 10 minute demo at EB games with a Sony VR set. Played some space game and was very unimpressed. Mostly around resolution and IQ.

It can run any PC game if you have a good pc.

perkelson

Only problem, it not a true 2 in 1 vr headset, pc side uses usb, so it has to compress the video from pc, which adds letancy and compression artifacts. They really need to fix this in quest 3. Plus all games are small and cheap indie games.

Bit rate is around 150mbit/s which is enough to give you perfect quality. By comparison to stream 4k you need around 50mbit/s to get best quality. Moreover with usb 3.0 they have 5Gbit/s and with 3.1 10Gbit/s which is plenty enough if they want to go crazy with bitrate.

Now the encoding part is true. it does add a bit of latency but way less that you probably think. Because they made custom drivers where image doesn't wait for encoding of whole thing but sends it in slices instantly for compositor in headset to already put it up together and display.

What that means is that 90hz mode in Quest 2 has latency of around 80Hz mode. Meaning if you play with 90Hz mode it is as if you would play natively 80hz mode when it comes to input but you still get 90hz mode picture smoothenes.

Imho their aproach is best thing that happened to PCVR. No need for long heavy cables with separate DC to power whole thing hen you can have small light cable. Moreover it allows for streaming via Wifi directly into headset because you are not dealing anymore with multiple gigabytes of data per second but marely 30-50-100mb/s which is enough.

I already use ALVR which gives me that ability and it works great. I do have sometimes some issues with wifi streaming but that is mostly because i live in congested area. Wifi 6 will resolve those issues and i am getting wifi 6 router tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rudius

great tech, fucking lame library. Facebook school of game design is Farmville, don't forget. It's a social media company and the kind of gaming it envisions for VR is social experiences: cards, ping-pong, social hubs, paintball in space etc

if VR becomes mainstream under their rule, that's the kind of gaming VR is to become associated with: social minigames, not the likes of Alyx or RE7

do something, Valve and Sony!

tbh, social minigaming seems to be the rule in flatgaming as well nowadays, so we are all fucked
That's a grim future you paint, but it could become even worse, by also employing the mobile money-sucking scemes. If that happens I will have to go back to flat Earth. Better to be a spectator of good games then to be immersed in crap.

As for PC VR, it will continue as it is now, with steady but slow growth and many different headsets releasing all the time. PSVR 2 has a chance of being the dominant VR platform, specially by leveraging the power and good price of PS5. It just needs to be released soon (later this year would be ideal) and bring some AAA exclusives.

D.Final

Banned
That's a grim future you paint, but it could become even worse, by also employing the mobile money-sucking scemes. If that happens I will have to go back to flat Earth. Better to be a spectator of good games then to be immersed in crap.

As for PC VR, it will continue as it is now, with steady but slow growth and many different headsets releasing all the time. PSVR 2 has a chance of being the dominant VR platform, specially by leveraging the power and good price of PS5. It just needs to be released soon (later this year would be ideal) and bring some AAA exclusives.
Let's hope for the best
I guess

Top Bottom