• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zuckerberg blasts Facebook rival TikTok for censorship in China, and he might be right

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In his speech Thursday at Georgetown University on free speech, Mark Zuckerberg briefly called out Facebook’s young Chinese-owned competitor TikTok.

“While our services like WhatsApp are used by protesters and activists everywhere due to strong encryption and privacy protections, on TikTok, the Chinese app growing quickly around the world, mentions of these protests are censored, even in the U.S.,” Zuckerberg said in reference to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. “Is that the internet we want?”

TikTok, which is owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, is a mobile app on which users can share and easily edit short videos. The app uses a machine-learning algorithm to present content tailored to each user and has exploded in popularity across the U.S. Facebook considers TikTok a competitor, and the start-up has even opened an office close to Facebook’s headquarters so it can poach employees.

TikTok has come under fire, however, for allegedly suppressing content that Beijing deems politically unfavorable, such as the protests in Hong Kong, as the Washington Post first reported. TikTok refutes these reports.

“The Chinese government does not request that TikTok censor content, and would not have jurisdiction regardless, as TikTok does not operate there,” a TikTok spokesperson told CNBC in response to Zuckerberg’s comments. “To be clear: We do not remove videos based on the presence of Hong Kong protest content.”

But that’s not the full story. While TikTok does not operate in China, ByteDance has a nearly identical app called Douyin, which is only available in China and researches say is strictly censored and used as a vessel for propaganda by the ruling party, according to the The Washington Post. TikTok says its U.S. operation is entirely separate from the operations of its parent company in China.

Zuckerberg went on in his speech to position Facebook’s lack of regulation of speech in stark contrast to the suppression prevalent on the Chinese internet.

“Until recently, the internet in almost every country outside China has been defined by American platforms with strong free expression values,” Zuckerberg said. “There’s no guarantee these values will win out.”

cryptoadam

Banned
Zuck just jealouse, he would censor his own mother and throw her off the empire state building if it meant he could get that sweet sweet yuan.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Zuckerberg probably saying a lot of truth rn. But the media has made up it’s mind, he is a villain, thus all will be ignored.

People like to pretend Facebook is this horrible thing, they have no idea what kind of far worse things could be on the horizon.

Yeah, I noticed his speech the other day and thought it was interesting how many headlines are going after him. He's blatantly saying that social media is the fifth estate, and they have an obligation to err on the side of greater expression instead of censorship. And the media is harshly going after him for it.

Seems like it may potentially be the beginning of some changes. We'll see. He's at least saying some of the right things.

I think he sees some shit coming down the pipeline that is scaring him.

Last edited:
this is true

this Is dumb
Let me rephrase it for you then....You are full of shit.

T5GdWy5.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

T5GdWy5.gif

I have family members that use facebook as a soapbox to post the dumbest far right opinions and conspiracies. Start living in reality if you think the millions of people that don't have a FAR left opinions are being banned.

At least if you aren't joking, which I think you might be, but you are really bad at getting it across.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So TikTok is cool with someone dressing up as Winnie the Pooh next to a big picture of Xi and just saying "Oh bother" over and over again and then smearing honey on Xi's face?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

T5GdWy5.gif

You really don't think people can post far right bullshit on Facebook? Like...you don't know anyone doing that shit on Facebook as of today? The other comment about my post being anecdotal is a completely valid criticism, but what the fuck are you on about?

Mistake

Cuckerberg can’t say shit. He was trying to get into the chinese market for years. He has a chinese wife and tried to have Xi name his daughter

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cuckerberg can’t say shit. He was trying to get into the chinese market for years. He has a chinese wife and tried to have Xi name his daughter

Maybe the Chinese realize that Facebook is a back door for the CIA/FBI with their dual page layers.

:pie_thinking: :messenger_smirking:

Top Bottom