• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax is launching DOOM 3 VR Edition for PlayStation VR in March.

Wonko_C

I was going to actually grab the money intended for a visit to the optometrist, and buy this game instead ($20 launch price is very tempting, I was expecting $40). But hearing the scale is wrong made me come to my senses. I'll just wait until it's $10.

Last edited:

Romulus

I was going to actually grab the money intended for a visit to the optometrist, and buy this game instead ($20 launch price is very tempting, I was expecting $40). But hearing the scale is wrong made me come to my senses. I'll just wait until it's $10.

There are settings options to mess with the scale of the player taller or shorter.

Is this only on psvr?

I borrowed my friends psvr but I just couldn't keep it plugged in due to the amount of cables and the box thi g that came with it.

no, it's been on pc for ages and Quest late last year.

don't come with that bullshit about those being mods because those mods are way better and more featureful than the lazy mod Archiact came up for this release on psvr...

Go install them and have a blast - you need of course the original game files. Bought mine in steam for $2 or so.

differences between Doom 3 on psvr and on Quest 2:

blows my mind how blurry it looks on PS4 and more crisp on the mobile chip. This has nothing to do with display resolution of the headsets but the resolution they're being rendered.

the only thing that the added power of PS4 allows: shadow projections from the flashlight, cut off for performance on the Quest.

they also don't mention here the awful scale many noticed right away on psvr.

these issues can be fixed of course, but it pisses me off when developers just release things in this state, like they didn't play test it at all...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Amazing the difference in resolution between a device which is essentially a phone strapped to your face vs the PS4.

skneogaf

no, it's been on pc for ages and Quest late last year.

don't come with that bullshit about those being mods because those mods are way better and more featureful than the lazy mod Archiact came up for this release on psvr...

Go install them and have a blast - you need of course the original game files. Bought mine in steam for $2 or so.

I've read this 3 times but I can't understand the parts about mods etc.

Are you saying I can buy the vr version of doom 3 on pc?

Romulus

Amazing the difference in resolution between a device which is essentially a phone strapped to your face vs the PS4.

Yeah its just not optimized well on PS4 and especially Pro. Probably planned on optimizing the visuals but when the Microsoft buyout went through. "Just ship it as is." The devs won't even comment about a patch or anything. It's strange because a Ps4 Pro patch is standard stuff these days and they didn't even do that.

ranmafan

I tried it out yesterday and it is really cool. The aim controller support is fantastic and it certainly had that great doom feel but in vr. But yes the scale issue is weird. Every person you run into looks so strange in size that it makes things feel weird at times. If they were to fix that it would make the game so much better. Still a great vr release!

I've read this 3 times but I can't understand the parts about mods etc.

Are you saying I can buy the vr version of doom 3 on pc?

it's a mod. You buy the regular flat game, you install the mod that modifies the game and weapon assets for VR, you copy the original game files to the mod folder, you play VR. Follow their instructions. I did these steps for the mod on Quest 2 and it works great - the original old game was on sale on steam for a mere $2 bucks or so.

Romulus

The general consensus I've seen after watching about a dozen streams and listening to the PSVR community is that it's basically just a really fun experience with the AIM controller. It definitely has some flaws but I've heard several times you forget about them once the action starts because the AIM is so good.

Orta

Banned
Never got round to buying this, might get it today. Does the headset replace the mouse for looking/aiming?

Orta

Banned
Oh well, how hard can it be to play a shooter with a controller. And D3 is pretty slow paced so I guess I won't be needing lightning reflexes or m&kb precision.

Top Bottom