• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 3 not compatible with X370 or X470 motherboards

Leonidas

It's good to know, but functionally useless for people who want the feature yesterday, today, or tomorrow. Specs on paper are meaningless without the means to use them. It might not be so bad if the upcoming Intel CPUs had PCIE 4.0 but they don't, so we have no idea what the timeline is going to be.

OK...

PhoenixTank

Cutting off X470 is pretty unexpected and not a great move, especially with how damn long it has taken to get B550 out. X470 has been acting as a quasi-budget X570 recommendation for a while now. Makes sense for all the other boards, though.
Expecting backlash so hope they can find some sort of compromise. Perhaps 2 BIOS versions or vendor specific work for boards with large enough BIOS chips.

Yeah, it's going to be the last. AM5 is coming next year.
Check the source post's FAQ again. I'm very surprised by this but they seem to leave AM4's future open beyond Ryzen 4000/Zen 3. I too was expecting AM5 next year.

So nothing, I was responding to someone who stated Intel did not support PCI-e 4.0 when it is supported in many Z490 boards...
I'll applaud if that transition goes off without a hitch, but unless the motherboard manufacturers already have Rocket Lake chips to work with they're going to struggle to test it in practice. I wouldn't personally want to make that bet.

Saw this coming a mile away which is why my new build is just a case and psu for now
What kind of framerate do you get out of that bad boy? :messenger_winking:

Eliciel

at the end of the day the "affordable" X570 B550 MBs sucked big time a few months back. FOr anything borderline acceptable you paid 299€+ (we are even talking unstable or overheating boards were circling around out there..) and I do not see why I would do that if until ZEN 3 is coming out there will be much more affordable and way more balanced boards for these chipsets. I do not feel like a lost something dramatic here by getting a X470 with an incredibly good price and one of the best boards out there....so to be honest. I'm okay..

Last edited:
Time to get that damn b550 out I guess?

Either way, a chip like a 3700x will last for years to come, so It's not that big of a deal, even though it definitely stings.
Buying an x670 will be even less worth it, considering that's the last chipset on Am4 probably.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

X570 and B550 boards are 200€ here, AMD is not worth that much for a motherboard.
And that's for a motherboard that can't support AM5.
You have to hope for a company to add support and hope the support is good enough to work right.
That sucks.

sn0man

Also not compatible with b450, which is the bigger news probably.
B450 is the budget variant of X470

yeah this kind of stinks for those that went B450 last year with hopes of ZEN3 like myself. i hemmed and hawed about b450 v x570 and just went with the cheaper one. I would have gone B550 but of course by thanks giving still not a peep about B550.

Succesful AMD is starting to feel like intel.

Kenpachii

Lol intel now beating AMD at its own game.

Terrible, this straight up could tank there cpu's sales, there main appeal for higher end is being upgradable easy without buying new motherboards.

Last edited:

Durask

Yeah it's mostly wise to sit out the first generation of new DDR. Often it's not much faster but way more expensive with a lot of rough edges. Going from DDR3 to 4 felt glacial.

Is there really any real world difference between DDR3 and DDR$?

I remember benchmarks which showed barely any difference

longdi

Banned
Actually if you look at Amd AM4 graphs, they are officially only supporting 2 gens of cpu, which is same thing as Intel!
Amd fanboys can suck it!

Nydus

Gold Member
Is there really any real world difference between DDR3 and DDR$?

I remember benchmarks which showed barely any difference

DDR3 seems to end with 2400Mhz. Thats okish for low end builds. But nowadays you have way faster ram for the same money. Especially since Ryzen kinda depends on it.

I'm sure there will be modded BIOS to support this, especially as they just gave the excuse that there isn't enough BIOS memory to be able to fit in the CPU microcodes. They didn't say something like the power requirements are different etc.

Plenty of motherboards have been modded to support CPUs unofficially.

Last edited:

nosseman

Either of these and you're good to go:

Stay away from the Gigabyte AMD motherboards, they are not so great despite their good reputation on the Intel side.

I hang around a lot of AMD communities and Gigabyte Aorus is often recomended as the "best" overall motherboard for X570.

I got a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro last year and it works great and bios updates are very fast compared to ASUS and other manufacures.

Like this from Hardware Unboxed:

TL;DW:

Best Entry-Level ($200)

1. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
  2. ASUS Prime X570-P
Best All-Rounder ($300)

1. ASRock X570 Taichi
  2. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
Best High-End (Sub-$400)

1. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
  2. ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Best of the Best, No Compromises ($♾)

1. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Extreme
Best MicroATX

1. ASRock X570M Pro4

longdi

Banned
Sad for you, Gigabyte is the only vendor with X570 that is still using tiny bios rom!
The rest have migrated to 256Mb rom. :eek:

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I hang around a lot of AMD communities and Gigabyte Aorus is often recomended as the "best" overall motherboard for X570.

I got a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro last year and it works great and bios updates are very fast compared to ASUS and other manufacures.

TL;DW:

Best Entry-Level ($200)

2. ASUS Prime X570-P
Best All-Rounder ($300)

1. ASRock X570 Taichi
Best High-End (Sub-$400)

Best of the Best, No Compromises ($♾️)

Best MicroATX

1. ASRock X570M Pro4

The gigabytes are notorious for bios and reliability issues. They are also overpriced.

Like I said they do solid boards on the Intel side but if you're buying AMD the best all round manufacturer to go with is Asus.

b0uncyfr0

Yeah not happy about this, i was thinking about a B450 plus a cheaper 4xxx chip to last until the second wave of AM5 boards but seems that wont be happening.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not much of an issue for me. While I have a X570 I may just want to wait for AM5 or later or Intel. It depends on what Zen3 can do. My last main PC was an I5 system I built in 2011. Which held up reasonably well with GPU upgrades over it's 8 plus year lifespan. I never viewed a CPU upgrade as worth it since the days of Pentium II/III.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah not happy about this, i was thinking about a B450 plus a cheaper 4xxx chip to last until the second wave of AM5 boards but seems that wont be happening.

Then just get a 550 board, they will be similarly priced.

nosseman

The gigabytes are notorious for bios and reliability issues. They are also overpriced.

Like I said they do solid boards on the Intel side but if you're buying AMD the best all round manufacturer to go with is Asus.

This is the exact opposite what I have read on many AMD communities.

Gigabyte = Good VRMs and fast BIOS updates.

ASUS = Overpriced (also on AMD GPU:s) especially the TUF lineup.

Ascend

People need to stop looking at brands as some sort of indication of quality and look at the motherboards themselves. You're not guaranteed a good motherboard because of its brand. All brands have crappy boards, but most brands have good ones too.
Brands matter for things like warranty and features. Not quality.

Durask

It is all anecdotal data from random internet users and means nothing.
I am not aware of any reliable data - number of warranty claims, RMA requests that kind of thing.
Heck, there isn't even survey based data like Consumer Reports does for cars.

I've had problems with motherboards from pretty much every major manufacturer.

TL;DW:

Best Entry-Level ($200)

2. ASUS Prime X570-P
Best All-Rounder ($300)

1. ASRock X570 Taichi
Best High-End (Sub-$400)

Best of the Best, No Compromises ($♾️)

Best MicroATX

1. ASRock X570M Pro4

My B450 Aorus Pro is pretty nice. Had a B350 gigabyte too and only thing wrong with t is that it wasn’t cat proof.

Leonidas

496bgkhcfkx41.png

Damn, AMD is making board partners who promised future support look bad...

Chiggs

This is the exact opposite what I have read on many AMD communities.

Gigabyte = Good VRMs and fast BIOS updates.

ASUS = Overpriced (also on AMD GPU:s) especially the TUF lineup.

I wouldn’t touch a Gigabyte board until it has been out for 5 months. Some of the nonsense I went through with my x570 Master was beyond absurd.

Now? It’s a great board.

ChrisB

So nothing, I was responding to someone who stated Intel did not support PCI-e 4.0 when it is supported in many Z490 boards...

Am I missing something Z490 has been released? It's not supported until it's released, and as stated by you in the past ~a paper launch isn't a release.

Leonidas

SVWQKSQ.jpg

Hopefully AMD walks back on their stance, really hoping they don't turn their partners into liars.

Previously confirmed support killed "lollipop_disappointed:

It's no wonder many thought B450 would support Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) when multiple partners said it would happen...

Last edited:
Considering I can go from my current 1st gen 6 core Ryzen to a Zen 2 16 core CPU on this board, not really gonna complain about it myself 🤷‍♂️ I'm sure there's plenty of life in Zen 2 yet.

By the time I need to upgrade past Zen 2 the motherboard will be the oldest component in the system and likely in need of an upgrade anyway

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD has refrained from commenting and therefore addressing any of our questions at this point, but we have had some interesting conversations with a few of their partners. Again to be perfectly clear on this point, board partners cannot support Ryzen 4000 series processors on 400-series motherboards without AMD’s help, it’s simply not possible. So don’t expect an AIB to crack the code and open up support, again without AMD’s support it’s not going to happen. It does seem as though this was a recent decision by AMD and their partners found out the same time we did, so that’s truly bizarre, but then given the last few product releases from AMD it’s getting harder and harder to be suprised by this stuff. I’ve also had industry contacts confirm that the AMD BIOS excuse is rubbish and that simple workarounds are possible, just like the one I discussed. In one example there would be a single large BIOS file that you download, then upon flashing you select the CPU series you want to support and it flashes the appropriate code. So at this point it’s now up to the rest of the community to pressure AMD into changing this decision and to open up support for 400-series boards. You guys had better believe that if you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile and we’ll be back to where we were just a few years ago.

Leonidas

I'm glad you can finally laugh at something AMD again. You've clearly missed this feeling for a while.

I'm not laughing at AMD. And I don't recall ever doing so in their numerous blunders in recent history either.

I'm laughing at the thumbnail, which is one of the funniest thumbnails I've ever seen :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You'll be sad to know I'm not laughing at AMD. And that I never laugh at AMD blunders.

I'm only laughing at the thumbnail, which is one of the funniest thumbnails I've ever seen :goog_smile_face_eyes:

It's a live preview of what Intel's high end 10 series CPU's will do to the insides of your PC case 🙃

Leonidas

It's a live preview of what Intel's high end 10 series CPU's will do to the insides of your PC case 🙃

When gaming Intel is on par power-wise with Zen2, while Intel still provides a better gaming experience.

That's what I care about.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

SVWQKSQ.jpg

Hopefully AMD walks back on their stance, really hoping they don't turn their partners into liars.

Previously confirmed support killed "lollipop_disappointed:

It's no wonder many thought B450 would support Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) when multiple partners said it would happen...
Which board partner is this? And I think AMD is just gonna take this one on the chin and still not support B450s. Just gonna be called a heel and move on.

CuNi

I gotta say, while keeping CPU/GPU things up to date, I have been missing out on mainboard news, since up till now I was a Intel-User and "New CPU = New MB" was always the case.
Would someone with like a better understanding of the AMD situation be so kind to explain how AMD could solve the issue they put themselves in rn?

Because as far as I can see, they say only the X570 and B550 will support ZEN 3 Ryzen 4000 CPUs.
Since Ryzen 4000 most likely will also contain low budget CPUs, I don't really see how this fares together with MBs being quite expensive.
Will AMD release another Chipset to combat this issue to be able to server lower-budget CPUs with lower-budget mainboards, will they maybe rush and push out a new socket shortly after and port Ryzen 4000 to AM(5)?

What are some valid next steps or what are the implications of those actions here?
Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to answer this.

Makariel

I gotta say, while keeping CPU/GPU things up to date, I have been missing out on mainboard news, since up till now I was a Intel-User and "New CPU = New MB" was always the case.
Would someone with like a better understanding of the AMD situation be so kind to explain how AMD could solve the issue they put themselves in rn?
I think the short (and oversimplified) answer is: AMD has been giving Intel lots of grief in the past for customers having to buy an new MB with every new CPU. They kept telling their fanbase that AM4 will be supported for a long and glorious future. Now they turn around and say the future isn't quite as long (albeit Zen is still glorious), and they are accused of being hypocrites by a rabid fanbase they have been courting on reddit.

CuNi

I think the short (and oversimplified) answer is: AMD has been giving Intel lots of grief in the past for customers having to buy an new MB with every new CPU. They kept telling their fanbase that AM4 will be supported for a long and glorious future. Now they turn around and say the future isn't quite as long (albeit Zen is still glorious), and they are accused of being hypocrites by a rabid fanbase they have been courting on reddit.

Yeah I got that part, I was just wondering how they plan on moving forward, hence the example of the current expensive price on those mainboards that do officially support Ryzen 4000.
I mean buying a 100-150$ CPU and spending 150$ or even more just on the mainboard doesn't sound attractive anywhere and honestly I don't see manufacturers lowering the price anytime soon on those boards.

Top Bottom