• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 3 not compatible with X370 or X470 motherboards

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Either of these and you're good to go:

Stay away from the Gigabyte AMD motherboards, they are not so great despite their good reputation on the Intel side.
I have Asus X570-E and besides those AMD specifics, which coming from intel is "something else". I just have no complains. Aside from the fact, that if you load "optimalised defaults", it turns off CSM, which leads to no drive being displayed and obviously you cannot boot to OS:

Reactions: GHG

Here is list of AM4 boards, look the flash rom tab, i guess if your B450 is one with 256Mb, you can have a chance your vendor includes Zen3 bios, unless Zen3 bios is yuge!
what kind of crazy person does this kind of table as a side project? 🤯

but seriously, I find that their excuse (bios storage) is stupid, AT BEST, many x470 boards have more memory... it doesn't sound honest, and I bought an highend x370 board back in 2017 hoping to open my upgrade options to CPUs released until at least 2020 (inclusively).

it's hard to not feel misled.

Lisaaaaaaa what have you done to meeeeeee!

Last edited:

Makariel

Yeah I got that part, I was just wondering how they plan on moving forward, hence the example of the current expensive price on those mainboards that do officially support Ryzen 4000.
I mean buying a 100-150$ CPU and spending 150$ or even more just on the mainboard doesn't sound attractive anywhere and honestly I don't see manufacturers lowering the price anytime soon on those boards.
I don't think they can, realistically speaking. Mainboard manufacturers don't operate with big margins, so we're at the stage where it's becoming a question of personal preference if you go AMD or Intel, rather than one being the clear winner in terms of bang for the buck. When I bought my "new" computer 3 years ago with 1st gen Ryzen, I remember it was quite clear that AMD gives more perfomance per dollar spent. That line has blurred quite a bit since then. I could see that AMD will keep the "budget" cpu line on 3000 level to keep milking that particular cow.

GHG

Gold Member
When gaming Intel is on par power-wise with Zen2, while Intel still provides a better gaming experience.

That's what I care about.

If the 3300x is a preview of what's to come then Intel are finished until they get their arse in gear again.

V2Tommy

If the 3300x is a preview of what's to come then Intel are finished until they get their arse in gear again.

Sure, but when Intel does finally get the new stuff out, it's going to be a quantum leap over anything from AMD. It's just not worth waiting for if you need something soon.

SantaC

Sure, but when Intel does finally get the new stuff out, it's going to be a quantum leap over anything from AMD. It's just not worth waiting for if you need something soon.
As long as intel stays on 14nm+++++++++ they are going to be constrained.

Last edited:

Knch

Last time Intel tried anything really new, we ended up with Pentium IV...

Ascend

Leaving this here as a simple reminder.

ZQFigFT.jpg

Top Bottom