• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Has the Largest File Size of Any First Party Nintendo Switch Game (18.2GB)

Draugoth

Gold Member
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has the largest file size of any first party Nintendo Switch game, even coming in larger than its predecessor Breath of the Wild

As spotted by Reddit user Bob (below) and confirmed on the Nintendo eShop, the base file size of Tears of the Kingdom comes in at 18.2 GB.

While this is still a small number in comparison to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series games, which can often use upwards of 100 GB of storage, it's enough to put Tears of the Kingdom atop the list of first party Switch games.

QKti2L7E6qmJnAtlwOC1gjQ9Li8qMpQKDtVloip2-RM.png

Breath of the Wild was once the largest first party Switch game by a long shot at 14.4 GB, though other Nintendo first party titles have since brushed shoulders with it such as Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at 14.38 GB and Fire Emblem Engage at 12.68 GB.

The larger file size certainly indicates that Tears of the Kingdom will be a bigger game than Breath of the Wild and other first party Switch titles, evidenced further by Nintendo giving it a $69.99 price tag.

Yes. Is is their biggest game ever. Safe to assume that applies to resources spent on it, marketing dollars around it, development team size, QA resources spent, on down the line… and yeah, game file size itself.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
BotW was 13.4GB. This is just a copy with extra stuff. So 18.4GB minus 13.4GB you get 5GB. So yeah just 5GB of extra content.

It is a joke if it is not obvious

Imagine being salty about a sequel to the best game ever made being the same price as every other AAA game on playstation/xbox.

My main concern is I haven't played vanilla botw in years. All my follow up playthroughs have been on cemu. I'll be buying the game but if Yuzu runs decently at launch that will be the best option.

sandbood

Banned
And what good is it if 83% is copy paste from BOTW.?

That reminds me of the nonsense that Eiji Aonuma said at the launch of Twilight princess, saying that it was the most gigantic game ever, and it was only a 1.4 GB disc 😂.
I would love to see your reaction when this game is getting review scores around BOTW scores and breaking sales record.

BlackTron

The large file size actually has me more intrigued for more unique assets that could be the interior for distinct dungeons.

For example shrines all used the same assets so it was very space-efficient. Maybe TotK has dungeons with unique tilesets (like a Zelda on Game Boy has) thus increasing the file size.

A man can hope.

As long as they don't cheap out with cartridges. They better use a 32GB one. If I need to download shit then I'll fucking do it but I'll be furious!

Last edited:

BlackTron

And what good is it if 83% is copy paste from BOTW.?

That's just it. If an asset is copy/pasted, it only needs to be on the disk once. Geometry and game logic take up almost no space, its the unique art assets that do.

In BotW, if the game displays a tree 40 times on the same screen, only one instance of the assets making up that tree is on the disk. The actual instructions for where/how to render and place each one are mere tiny kb of data.

Edit: This is why I suspect detailed interior spaces. In an outdoor environment, it would be too easy to reuse lots of the same stuff to build everything, of course it's not all copy/paste but a size increase this big points to something else. Just speculation though of course.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hopefully this means the world is even larger than BotW's. I've been trying to avoid more than surface level info about this game, so I have no clue, but fingers are crossed.

That's just it. If an asset is copy/pasted, it only needs to be on the disk once. Geometry and game logic take up almost no space, its the unique art assets that do.

In BotW, if the game displays a tree 40 times on the same screen, only one instance of the assets making up that tree is on the disk. The actual instructions for where/how to render and place each one are mere tiny kb of data.
I think what Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme was trying to say was is that they think it's basically just the same game as BOTW but with new coloured enemies or some shit. So many people have it in their head that this is just BOTW DLC.

I know we haven't seen much yet but there is no way Nintendo spent 6 years making "DLC" lol. Once the game is out it'll shut down this stupid talk of it being BOTW 1.5

Hopefully this means the world is even larger than BotW's. I've been trying to avoid more than surface level info about this game, so I have no clue, but fingers are crossed.
Well, maybe not horizontally but it definitely looks larger vertically. There is all the floating sky shit and we've seen a lot of underground action so likely we'll have the ground, sky, and underground to explore this time instead of just a flat map and buildings/shrines.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think what Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme was trying to say was is that they think it's basically just the same game as BOTW but with new coloured enemies or some shit. So many people have it in their head that this is just BOTW DLC.

I know we haven't seen much yet but there is no way Nintendo spent 6 years making "DLC" lol. Once the game is out it'll shut down this stupid talk of it being BOTW 1.5

The vibe I get is this idea that file size is somehow directly correlated to size of the game world. They could have made BotW 50% larger with almost no increase in total file size just by copy/pasting more assets to make the map bigger, and designing more shrines again using same assets...you could get a much bigger BotW with a size increase measured in MB.

So the fact that TotK is so much bigger implies more unique content, NOT a copy/paste job.

Top Bottom