• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda & Loftwing amiibo announced

SuperGooey

you could not buy it, you know?

whining like a little bitch helps nothing.
I'm not buying it, and I'm allowed to point out how bad these microtransactions are.

You know what doesn't help? Blaming the consumer over corporations who consistently get more brazen with anti-consumer practices.

Rodolink

they'll probably lock the fast travel ability to be used every 2h or so like they did with the Wolf amiibo in Twilight Princess HD, so not a big deal.
I'll get it anyway just because I like the figure and I dont have a Switch.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
they'll probably lock the fast travel ability to be used every 2h or so like they did with the Wolf amiibo in Twilight Princess HD, so not a big deal.
I'll get it anyway just because I like the figure and I dont have a Switch.
Pretty much. Collecting any kind of figures can cost you hundreds of dollars per figure. Amiibo are dirt cheap if you're after just a physical collectible.

Putting the toy on your controller to fast travel is probably something I wont ever even bother with, even owning the figure. It's a tiny little bonus that I could see kids using.

I'm fine with people who criticize microtransactions and all that. But the figure itself is actually pretty cheap when compared to basically any other video game collectible figures. It just has a tiny little digital element, like amiibo always do. I never used the amiibo functionality in Twilight Princess HD either.

Last edited:
Why do adults buy this trash landfill fodder? Same with funko pops. It's a pointless dust trap in your house that will end up in the bin. Waste of everything, including money and the environment.

Ikutachi

Not sure I like that stupid bird thing getting in the way of the best Zelda design.
yz7h2eI.jpg

6 months on the front of a shelf --> 3 years on the back of a shelf --> 30 years in a box in a garage --> 2000 years in a landfill.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Nintendo stopped playing everyone else's game years ago. The GameCube was the last time they bothered. It hasn't always worked out for them, but the 3DS and Wii U not doing quite as well as the DS and Wii ultimately led to the Switch. Good or bad (there's plenty of both), they realised there was no point racing the other two when they could play a different game and win by default.
It's not a win by default. They offer the software/"convenience"/experiences that other companies aren't. They busted there ass trying to make the Wii U work and made some of the best games of there respective genre's that went undersold/underappreciated and it payed dividend hard when they were rereleased for Switch. Nintendo offers unique things that make it stand out even with their hardware's lack of power. Portable gaming at affordable pricing(Gameboy), analog sticks, motion sensing/gyro gaming, glasses-free 3d, transitional screens.. What they lack in VERY basic ass features(which boggles the mind) they make up for in other areas in big ways. They've cornered a market that nobody else wants to play in and have managed to hold a death-grip on the casuals while also having a handshake with the hardcore.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's not a win by default. They offer the software/"convenience"/experiences that other companies aren't. They busted there ass trying to make the Wii U work and made some of the best games of there respective genre's that went undersold/underappreciated and it payed dividend hard when they were rereleased for Switch. Nintendo offers unique things that make it stand out even with their hardware's lack of power. Portable gaming at affordable pricing(Gameboy), analog sticks, motion sensing/gyro gaming, glasses-free 3d, transitional screens.. What they lack in VERY basic ass features(which boggles the mind) they make up for in other areas in big ways. They've cornered a market that nobody else wants to play in and have managed to hold a death-grip on the casuals while also having a handshake with the hardcore.
Even when they made hardware mistakes, they were still Nintendo who have an undeniably strong set of IPs. Wii U might not have set the world on fire, but it was still the only place to get Mario and the rest of them. They stopped trying to get exclusives (no more Capcom 4 after the GC days) and just did their own thing. A failure in terms of hardware probably still translated to a win in the sense that the software made up for it. Nintendo always seem to turn a profit, and they do it their own way. That's a win for them, or at the very least it's not a loss.

th4tguy

So I missed the preorder for both this and the controllers and will be trying my luck at getting them through my local target via store pickup. I can't find any information about when the target site goes live with these items though. Does anyone have any experience with this? I plan to camp the site so I can get my order in as soon as it's available.

Hardensoul

So I missed the preorder for both this and the controllers and will be trying my luck at getting them through my local target via store pickup. I can't find any information about when the target site goes live with these items though. Does anyone have any experience with this? I plan to camp the site so I can get my order in as soon as it's available.
Unfortunately there seems to be some shipment delays from Nintendo. I just got my shipment noticed from Best Buy and I just received my Joycons.

th4tguy

Unfortunately there seems to be some shipment delays from Nintendo. I just got my shipment noticed from Best Buy and I just received my Joycons.

Good info, thanks. I'm also trying for the controllers though. Anyone know when items usually go live on the Target site?

kunonabi

Sucks I'll have to look into if mine got delayed. Still blows that this one and the metroid amiibos got scalped so hard.

Hardensoul

Sucks I'll have to look into if mine got delayed. Still blows that this one and the metroid amiibos got scalped so hard.

I had to resort to Amazon Japan for the Metroid Amiibo, hope I'm able to get it. I've never ordered through Amazon in another country before.

Codes 208

It’s Nintendo, just about everything they make gets scalped to death. I felt like I had to fight for my life just to get a pre-order for the new OLED

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No other Zelda Amiibo are supported in this game? Not even the Skyward Sword link AT THE VERY LEAST? That’s pretty lame, I must say. 🤔

Top Bottom