• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda & Loftwing amiibo announced

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo locking fast travel behind a Amiibo. They can literally do whatever the hell they want with no repercussions seeming ever. Must be nice to have legions of legacy adults that eat up all your proprietary bullshit.
If MS or Sony tried an inch of this the other fanbase would roast them to pieces.

Some of the core Nintendo fanbase cheering profits over revenue, in the financial threads, is already telling IMHO (over the last year their revenue was great but what grew a lot were profits… great for investors and for the cash reserves of the company, but beyond a certain point you are cheering overpaying and the company under investing).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Or maybe we just don't give a shit about something stupid like this?

They also seem to have legions of adults crying about everything they do as well.
789597.jpg

clem84

Gold Member
Nintendo locking fast travel behind a Amiibo. They can literally do whatever the hell they want with no repercussions seeming ever. Must be nice to have legions of legacy adults that eat up all your proprietary bullshit.
I don't know. They're not locking an existing feature behind the Amiibo, it's an additional feature, and not even a necessary one. I suspect it's just going to make things a little easier. But there's also the fact that for a full price 10 year old port, this game should have additional content/features. Let's just hope this is not it. If it is then yeah that would be pretty low.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I don't know. They're not locking an existing feature behind the Amiibo, it's an additional feature, and not even a necessary one. I suspect it's just going to make things a little easier. But there's also the fact that for a full price 10 year old port, this game should have additional content/features. Let's just hope this is not it. If it is then yeah that would be pretty low.
Look, you can like Nintendo products and not be down with their draconian business practices. No other publisher or dev gets the kind of leeway Nintendo gets from their fanbase and media.

If MS or Sony tried an inch of this the other fanbase would roast them to pieces.

Some of the core Nintendo fanbase cheering profits over revenue, in the financial threads, is already telling IMHO (over the last year their revenue was great but what grew a lot were profits… great for investors and for the cash reserves of the company, but beyond a certain point you are cheering overpaying and the company under investing).

Nintendo can't eat losses like MS/Sony though.

Nintendo and any other rational company cares more about sales than some people complaining at a forum. If people keep buying this, they will keep releasing them.

I have no problem at all with it, doesn't bother me that much. But I'm not someone who is going to buy this (very probably, been looking at some amibos and they look pretty cool but dunno if they are worth it at all).

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ve been disappointed by them locking things behind useless toys for years, ever since they were doing it with Hyrule Warriors on Wii U.

I even considered buying a device to emulate the different Amiibos as a way to circumvent their system.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I’ve been disappointed by them locking things behind useless toys for years, ever since they were doing it with Hyrule Warriors on Wii U.

I even considered buying a device to emulate the different Amiibos as a fuck you to their system.
Full disclosure. I bought that device and used it on the WiiU version of BOTW. Felt amazing getting costumes and rare weapons, while giving the finger to greedy Nintendo.

Max_Po

Banned
5 x

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Soodanim

Gold Member
Full disclosure. I bought that device and used it on the WiiU version of BOTW. Felt amazing getting costumes and rare weapons, while giving the finger to greedy Nintendo.
Fair play mate, I encourage it.

I don’t see how people can defend the concept of gameplay additions behind physical clutter that only has a limited audience.

Even if we ignore anything to do with game preservation, as a content provider you’re locking customers out behind something that can easily not be available at some point with no recourse (aside from the devices mentioned).

Hyrule Warriors locked an entire weapon behind an Amiibo. That’s not a small shortcut, that’s legitimate gameplay content.

jigglet

Banned

So you’re saying being fucked in the ass is a bad thing? You’d get banned pretty quick on Resetera for that you fucking homophobe.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

people just buy clone cards for cents

harmny

Banned
i always found funny and interesting how nintendo has a bulletproof shield that protects them from all the stuff other companies get criticized for. i think part of the reason is they simply don't give a crap about what people say online

Woffls

i always found funny and interesting how nintendo has a bulletproof shield that protects them from all the stuff other companies get criticized for. i think part of the reason is they simply don't give a crap about what people say online
yeah nobody complains about artificial scarcity, minimal online service offerings, joycon drift, prices of old games or ignoring half their franchises.. oh wait.

harmny

Banned
yeah nobody complains about artificial scarcity, minimal online service offerings, joycon drift, prices of old games or ignoring half their franchises.. oh wait.

oh they complain a little bit. but nintendo doesn't care and that's the right approach. and when screaming at a wall gets boring they just stop.

now compare that to every other company apologizing 10 times a day for everything. do that and see how the number of whiners gets bigger and bigger.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
oh they complain a little bit. but nintendo doesn't care and that's the right approach. and when screaming at a wall gets boring they just stop.

now compare that to every other company apologizing 10 times a day for everything. do that and see how the number of whiners gets bigger and bigger.
Nintendo stopped playing everyone else's game years ago. The GameCube was the last time they bothered. It hasn't always worked out for them, but the 3DS and Wii U not doing quite as well as the DS and Wii ultimately led to the Switch. Good or bad (there's plenty of both), they realised there was no point racing the other two when they could play a different game and win by default.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
God I hate this, I have to admit its a remake I am not interested in at all, as I imagine most people who played it the first time round won't be. But It sucks for everyone who is, they should not be locking quality of life features behind a figure... really I hate the fact amiibos come across as physical DLC rather than a cool collectable.

Last edited:
The amiibo itself is really nice. Not a fan of locking features like this behind it though, even if the teleporting thing is mostly useless.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

Like there aren’t Sony fans wanking off to financial reports aswell rofl.

Javthusiast

Banned
Locking a I assume quality of life feature behind a plastic toy paywall, a toy that will sell out in seconds for a 60 dollar Wii port. Peak Nintendo. And I saw so many Nintendrones over in the Asylum defend this.

Woffls

ahh right I misinterpreted what you said - apologies. It would be great if more companies committed to a vision and didn't bend over backwards to appease everyone... although sometimes this does just lead to once-great developers making hat dlc or whatever.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It's an extra cheat-like ability, which wasn't in the original game. Seems parallel to having Amiibo drop powerups at any time in Mario games, rather than something which unlocks a genuine game feature or content of any kind.

MAtgS

My issue why is it Zelda again. Like we don't have enough Links & Zeldas already? Make it Fi, make it Groose, hell make it Pippit.

Top Bottom