• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW on track to reach 30-million lifetime total sales number

Thanks so much to Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 for this spreadsheet

Spreadsheet shows best selling Nintendo IPs on Switch year over year

MK8 on track to hit 50-million
ACNH on track to hit 45-million
Zelda BOTW and Smash Bros on track to hit 30-million

....and most of the sale full price without price cut

For comparison:
Skyrim sold 30+ million on 6 systems
The Witcher 3 sold 30+ million on 4+ systems

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
legend of zelda GIF

Day1 for the sequel for me.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Although I like skyward sword, thanks to the harsh criticism, poor sales and humiliation by Skyrim a week before the release date, Aonuma opened his eyes and understood the assignment.
Zelda-U.jpg
Skyrim did a great by defining the open world game, which spawned the Witcher 3, and BOW. For an old game, with crappy bugs, it influenced the entire industry, what it means to roam around the world, and do whatever you need to do.

LordOfChaos

And last I can find, sub 2-3 million on the Wii U. A little funny and sad from the game they were holding up as "one game can save a console", then delayed it to coincide with the Switch and removed the Wii U exclusive features demoed

"This is launching next year for sure right?" "Horses don't usually run into trees" "What about Star Fox?" "This must be a dungeon" lol there's so much here, I got the feeling there was a friendly rivalry there

Although I like skyward sword, thanks to the harsh criticism, poor sales and humiliation by Skyrim a week before the release date, Aonuma opened his eyes and understood the assignment.
Zelda-U.jpg

This is why I don't get why people think Nintendo doesn't do 'bullshots' - this was clearly running on something exceeding both the Wii U and even Switch, because it never looked like that

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
And last I can find, sub 2-3 million on the Wii U. A little funny and sad from the game they were holding up as "one game can save a console", then delayed it to coincide with the Switch and removed the Wii U exclusive features demoed

"This is launching next year for sure right?" "Horses don't usually run into trees" "What about Star Fox?" "This must be a dungeon" lol there's so much here, I got the feeling there was a friendly rivalry there

This is why I don't get why people think Nintendo doesn't do 'bullshots' - this was clearly running on something exceeding both the Wii U and even Switch, because it never looked like that

Aonuma admitted it was a concept video made in engine. The wii u was not powerful enough to run that. However, after the E3 reveal with the first trailer everything was marketed with real footage, frame drops and 720p resolution.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Aonuma admitted it was a concept video made in engine. The wii u was not powerful enough to run that. However, after the E3 reveal with the first trailer everything was marketed with real footage, frame drops and 720p resolution.

He does say "And this is what the game looks like on screen" right before then, and I remember people going frothy defending that as completely real in-game when they were still on the Wii U secret sauce juice. When did he admit that, I don't remember it coming up?

Ah, those were 234 pages of, er, 'fun'

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
50-million??....receipt please!!.... I can't stand people making out numbers without proof
not exactly 50m, but more than 30m. 50m is just estimate, due to rereleases, and the new release edition.

Recent interview, Todd said thait it sold more than 30m copies.

not exactly 50m, but more than 30m. 50m is just estimate, due to rereleases, and the new release edition.

Yeah but you can buy Skyrim for twenty bucks, and it has been in flash sales many times. BotW has never been under sixty dollars.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah but you can buy Skyrim for twenty bucks, and it has been in flash sales many times. BotW has never been under sixty dollars.
It has the same treatment as god of war. 1st party game, with long rich history, and massive number console backing it up. Compared to skyrim, which has tons of competition, and has to survive in all 6 system space.

3rd party games can never compete with 1st party games.

I picked up botw for $35 last year

It’s been $40 at most retailers for a while. I just checked Target and it’s $40. $36 at Walmart

Edit: $40 at GameStop too

Last edited:
Nice. Now put it on PC, ya jackalopes.

nope!

Zelda getting sales only dreamed of during the Wii. 3d Mario outselling 2D Mario.

All we needed was for Metroid Dread to hit 10 million.

Yes Metroid deserves a break-out

So he said 'more than 30-million', and you came up with that '50-million' out of nowhere? ...please stop making shit up

Last edited:
used or new? all of those retailers have used marketplace
New

Edit: $38 at best buy

Last edited:
New

that must be used? because the digital version is showing 60 bucks, and all other Nintendo games are full price 60 bucks

that must be used? because the digital version is showing 60 bucks, and all other Nintendo games are full price 60 bucks

What? Literally click on the links I provided. It says New on the page.

I added Best Buy where it’s $38

Ezquimacore

Banned
He does say "And this is what the game looks like on screen" right before then, and I remember people going frothy defending that as completely real in-game when they were still on the Wii U secret sauce juice. When did he admit that, I don't remember it coming up?

Ah, those were 234 pages of, er, 'fun'

Not that it matters because we are talking about something from 7 years ago when it was called Zelda wiiu, but there was an interview he saying it was a concept video. You can try and find it if you're that determined.

Skifi28

I'll get to it at some point, but currently suffering from open world fatigue. It's a real condition, look it up.

What? Literally click on the links I provided. It says New on the page.

I added Best Buy where it’s $38

OK may be it's a rotation sale thing where Nintendo tells retailers to discount certain title each month, they do that once in a while

because all other Nintendo titles you see there is full price

Ezquimacore

Banned
OK may be it's a rotation sale thing where Nintendo tells retailers to discount certain title each month, they do that once in a while

because all other Nintendo titles you see there is full price
Tbh these months I always find Nintendo games at least $10 cheaper at GameStop, Amazon and Walmart.

Evergreen-Software-Q3.png

It looks like BOTW will sell a total of 4.5m in FY 21-22 (needs 980K in Q4), with Switch projected to have a very good FY22-23 it will probably sell another 4 million in that FY too and then it will hit 30m. I expect BOTW to slowly move to 35 million in the last few years of it's life.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Evergreen-Software-Q3.png

It looks like BOTW will sell a total of 4.5m in FY 21-22 (needs 980K in Q4), with Switch projected to have a very good FY22-23 it will probably sell another 4 million in that FY too and then it will hit 30m. I expect BOTW to slowly move to 35 million in the last few years of it's life.
they should do a complete edition with all the DLC for $50, or a limited bundle with the switch.

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah, but I’ll be honest, I’m struggling to figure out how to play it without subjecting myself to downloading stuff that might be sketchy. I don’t want to infect my rig just to play it.
if you own the game just dumb on your pc. the emulator itself is secure and comes with all the graphics mods as well. now if you download sketchy ROMs lol good luck

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I played it on Cemu at 4K/60 and it was never remotely close to my favorite Zelda game. Lack of Dungeons and weapon durability where the major turn offs for me.

Still it wasn't bad.

Zelda BOTW is the 14th best selling Nintendo game ever and will easily make the top 10 in a couple of years.

Top-50-3-1.png
Wii Sports and Wii Play should be disqualified.

Are we going to put Astro's Playroom on a list of all-time best selling games when PS5 hits 100 million?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

If it had sold even 35-40 million they would say so. It’s not even close to 50. Get a grip.

Top Bottom