• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League Review Thread

Ovek

7Member7
Just watched all four hours of this and it’s great, what surprised me was how little Superman was in it and the fact that he had 3 or 4 lines of dialogue.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I feel like I’m the only person who kinda liked Batman vs Superman..
As Zod said:

cec10d951d4856fd878d9b60b5c0bc0f.gif

Also, some HQ capture from the 4K HDR version:
162072534_197487275064296_2219342687269416121_n.png
162429805_1127572257687070_3481574828818966012_n.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:

NahaNago

I honestly don't understand if this is the version WB were handed originally, why the fuck didn't they trust Snyder and release it, and not get Wheeeeedon in to completely butcher it?
because they are cheap. They didn't want to make the amount of movies necessary for this story arc or they were trying to catch up with Marvel's movie hype. This 4 hour movie should have been originally made into probably 3 or more movies. At least one introducing the flash. One introducing the cyborg and has batman recruiting during this time period. And the last movie should have been the climax with the resurrection and last battle.

On a different not I'm not liking the whole injustice plot tease. Like I'm already not an injustice fan. Especially the games that gives batman amazing plot armor. Plus I already think that the Superman movies are too dark already. If you're going to kill lois do it in a flash movie where he can go back in time to reverse the death.

My review of the movie is that it is an 8 out of 10. The movie looked pretty good. This movie had better action than Joss Whedon's version. I don't think that everyone else is a punk without Superman now because of this movie. The music was forgettable. Honestly the old justice league's interaction between the characters were a bit more enjoyable at times. That scene with Superman and cyborg joking at the end of the old justice league was delightful. Honestly the movie is like a B for me but the length makes it an A for just the fact that I didn't get bored watching a 4 hour long movie. The visuals were okay. They have one new super visually scene in the movie that was just graphically impressive to me. I still want to see a live action or fully cg dragon ball movie because of superman's fighting scenes.

DeaDPo0L84

I’d rate It better than nearly every milquetoast Marvel movie out there.

Gonna try to watch this on the weekend

The ultimate edition is actually really good. The "Martha" part is still a bit goofy but the rest of the movie is great. I actually watched it to get prepared for tonight and was reminded how great it was.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
I get its his cut of footage he didn't get to finish, but there are some parts that feel so disjointed. Like there were missing scenes in between story beats.

Im enjoying it, but its hard not to notice.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's not better than my beloved MCU but the wife and I watched Batman V Superman UE the other night and loved it, glued to the screen.
:)

I absolutely loved this movie.

Definitely the best DCEU movie to date, and to be fair, only shows how Zack Snyder could definitely had done better if he had more time to develop each character on their own instead of constantly being rushed to make a JL movie.

Given the fact that the studio expected him to introduce 3 new characters into one movie, they expected it to be done in less than 3 hours originally was kind of a really tall order.

Seeing how in this version he managed to do everything he wanted, and more, it shows that Zack Snyder was the only one that really understood the lore of the comic books, but he wanted to do it in his own way - but still come back to respecting the origins to a degree.

It felt different for a superhero movie, and I appreciate how it took its time to kind of setup the relationships and character portrayal of the new characters - least then I didn't feel to disjointed with them as a team by the end like the original 2017 version.

I came into this movie with a mindset I had when I first watched "Lawrence of Arabia," where I knew it was going to be a long haul - so the duration didn't bother me until the very end where I felt like it was unnecessary

And most importantly:

Zack Snyder nailed it on how Batman could have gone up against Parademons as a human being with no powers in a live action film. I was so fucking happy when I got to see Batman go toe-to-toe with Parademons!

jakinov

Want to watch this. But man that aspect ratio will suck on my shitty 32" tv
The ratio is going to use basically the amount of area as a regular movie. 16:9 was selected because it's basically displays the same amount of content for 4:3 (old TV/movie ratio) and 2.35:1 (the common movie ratio). You have to chubby stubby bars on the left and right instead of two long bars at the top and bottom.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Watched the first part of my 30gb 4K Dolby Vision rip on my LGCX and yes it looks incredible but by fuck it's lost something with that utterly moronic decision to film in 4:3, I kept waiting on the screen opening up and Batman's journey through the mountains at the start just loses out when not shot in wide-screen, don't get me wrong I loved it (the movie that it, well what I've seen so far) but he needed a fucking slap back when he decided to film using an IMAX camera

TriSuit666

Banned
Watched the first part of my 30gb 4K Dolby Vision rip on my LGCX and yes it looks incredible but by fuck it's lost something with that utterly moronic decision to film in 4:3, I kept waiting on the screen opening up and Batman's journey through the mountains at the start just loses out when not shot in wide-screen, don't get me wrong I loved it (the movie that it, well what I've seen so far) but he needed a fucking slap back when he decided to film using an IMAX camera
I'm not kidding, I watched a bit of it on Skybox VR and having the extra height doees add dimension to the visual field - I reckon it'll work better viewed on an authentic cinema screen than at home, no screen is going to be big enough really.

Personally, I've been a bit soured on the whole thing now after Synder's comments on the stream raising money for his charity, I... just think he can go fuck off and never come back.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Half way through and not impressed yet..
it’s so slow, lots of unneeded moments like the girls singing and car crash that goes on way too long.

Ulysses 31

The ultimate edition is actually really good. The "Martha" part is still a bit goofy but the rest of the movie is great.
Come on, there's still strange things like Superman ignoring the big truck Batman was chasing, the framing of superman by the mercs(the environment and burned bodies don't have bullet holes anymore?) and Supes not straight out telling that Lex kidnapped his mother till after the fight.

And what's this version of Lex's beef with superman really? He's not all good or all powerful? Don't recall superman claiming to be either. His plan is to create this powerful being to kill superman? If it had succeeded then superman would be dead but then there would be another very powerful being he can't control roaming around?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I actually loved BvS! I'm one of the few.

SJRB

Gold Member
Come on, there's still strange things like Superman ignoring the big truck Batman was chasing, the framing of superman by the mercs(the environment and burned bodies don't have bullet holes anymore?) and Supes not straight out telling that Lex kidnapped his mother till after the fight.

And what's this version of Lex's beef with superman really? He's not all good or all powerful? Don't recall superman claiming to be either. His plan is to create this powerful being to kill superman? If it had succeeded then superman would be dead but then there would be another very powerful being he can't control roaming around?
About the truck chase: Superman [or rather Clark Kent] was laser focused on Batman and saw him as a lawless vigilante who does whatever he wants to whoever he wants without repercussions. In his eyes, certainly after he visits the police station, Batman is a force of evil. Superman's judgement if off, just as much as Bruce's judgement about Superman is off.

I agree that the framing is a bit silly. But it's a period in time where a lot of people are VERY afraid of Superman. I guess it's not TOO difficult to frame him for something like this.

I guess Lex's beef with Superman is that Superman is basically an all-powerful individual, certainly more powerful in every way than him? "If you're all powerful, then you can't be all good" seems to imply that Lex fears Superman's powers. Doomsday was an ill-conceived backup plan, surely Lex thought he could control him somehow but of course failed spectacularly.

Ulysses 31

About the truck chase: Superman [or rather Clark Kent] was laser focused on Batman and saw him as a lawless vigilante who does whatever he wants to whoever he wants without repercussions. In his eyes, certainly after he visits the police station, Batman is a force of evil. Superman's judgement if off, just as much as Bruce's judgement about Superman is off.

I agree that the framing is a bit silly. But it's a period in time where a lot of people are VERY afraid of Superman. I guess it's not TOO difficult to frame him for something like this.

I guess Lex's beef with Superman is that Superman is basically an all-powerful individual, certainly more powerful in every way than him? "If you're all powerful, then you can't be all good" seems to imply that Lex fears Superman's powers. Doomsday was an ill-conceived backup plan, surely Lex thought he could control him somehow but of course failed spectacularly.
Sure, they're both not thinking straight anymore but supes lapse in judgement can't be that severe that a truck trying to blow up batman is not worthy of any attention. :p

This Lex didn't seem that fearful of Supes when he was taunting him with his mother's death when Supes didn't bring any bat head. What does he think Superman would do to him if his mother had been fried? :lollipop_winking:

I read that in the comic, Lex Jr was abused and that he resents that superman with all his powers didn't intervene in some way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sure, they're both not thinking straight anymore but supes lapse in judgement can't be that severe that a truck trying to blow up batman is not worthy of any attention. :p

This Lex didn't seem that fearful of Supes when he was taunting him with his mother's death when Supes didn't bring any bat head. What does he think Superman would do to him if his mother had been fried? :lollipop_winking:

I read that in the comic, Lex Jr was abused and that he resents that superman with all his powers didn't intervene in some way.

In fairness Batman just killed like 8 people before Superman stopped him, lol.

Ulysses 31

In fairness Batman just killed like 8 people before Superman stopped him, lol.
Indeed, any interest as to why batman was killing so much at that time wouldn't have been out of character for superman IMO rather than just a "don't do this anymore" warning. :lollipop_winking:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
77th highest rated movie of all time by users on IMDB with more than 60,000 notes already (for now at least ^^)

unknown.png

And WB want the Whedon cut to be canon ?
NO.
WAY.

At this point, RestoreTheSnyder is inescapable

xandaca

I wrote a lengthy review on my blog (no ads or monetisation) if anyone's interested.

Long story short: I thought it was a different rather than necessarily better version of Whedon's cut. Whedon's version is tighter, lighter in tone and has some small character moments which Snyder's version omits. Snyder's version is more ambitious and a more singular vision, giving its plot and character motivations the room they need to breathe. Snyder's version mercifully omits the helpless Russian family from the climax of Whedon's cut, but adds in a few lousy scenes of its own. Like most of Snyder's work, it's less good per se than interesting and artistically distinctive, which certainly makes its existence worthwhile.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Watched this last night. Damn good, didn't feel like it was four hours long.

On a side note, I assumed everyone was exaggerating when they said Leto's joker was garbage. In his five minute cameo, I have never hated a character more (for all the wrong reasons) or felt more strongly that the casting was wrong.

cr0w

Old Member
Watched this last night. Damn good, didn't feel like it was four hours long.

On a side note, I assumed everyone was exaggerating when they said Leto's joker was garbage. In his five minute cameo, I have never hated a character more (for all the wrong reasons) or felt more strongly that the casting was wrong.

Jesus I'd hate to see how much you'd dislike him in Suicide Squad then. Compared to that, this version was almost divine.

Ionian

Kermode reviewed it. Seemed pretty meh about it but he isn't a Snyder fan.

Interesting to watch considering the positive takes for anyone into his reviews.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it. Didn't feel like 4h at all.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really like marvel movies, though. I feel like there's... too many of them or something? I admit they are well met, but somehow they don't do it for me.

MastaKiiLA

I liked it, especially the Ultimate Edition.

Getting ready for the final battle in Snyder Cut right now, and this movie is leagues (pun intended) better than the theatrical cut. The studio people responsible for butchering the theatrical release should all be fired. What a bunch of morons. Snyder was going in a really good direction with the franchise. Copying Marvel is the route to failure. You won't outdo them, especially not with such a late start. The dark and gritty vision that Snyder had was the right one. This is a damn good movie. I'm not going to call it a work of art, or anything, but I'm a Snyder stan, and this movie hits all the right notes for me. The only negative is the aspect ratio, but I can live with that.

Mad respect to the fans that kept this dream alive. This is fucking redemption.

EDIT: Whedon left so much story on the cutting room floor. This version gives all members of the league their proper stories and motivations. Cyborg and Flash aren't relegated to cameos and comic relief alone. Some real development, with Cyborg getting huge amounts of development. So awesome.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I really enjoyed it. Didn't feel like 4h at all.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really like marvel movies, though. I feel like there's... too many of them or something? I admit they are well met, but somehow they don't do it for me.
I liked it, especially the Ultimate Edition.

Getting ready for the final battle in Snyder Cut right now, and this movie is leagues (pun intended) better than the theatrical cut. The studio people responsible for butchering the theatrical release should all be fired. What a bunch of morons. Snyder was going in a really good direction with the franchise. Copying Marvel is the route to failure. You won't outdo them, especially not with such a late start. The dark and gritty vision that Snyder had was the right one. This is a damn good movie. I'm not going to call it a work of art, or anything, but I'm a Snyder stan, and this movie hits all the right notes for me. The only negative is the aspect ratio, but I can live with that.

Mad respect to the fans that kept this dream alive. This is fucking redemption.

EDIT: Whedon left so much story on the cutting room floor. This version gives all members of the league their proper stories and motivations. Cyborg and Flash aren't relegated to cameos and comic relief alone. Some real development, with Cyborg getting huge amounts of development. So awesome.
The release of the 2017 "movie" is the direct result of the poor (to say the least) reception of BvS. I remember loving that movie and everybody was spiting on it, comparing it to Green Lantern and worse, and insulting Snyder for "what he has done to their icon".
Now everybody is praising ZSJL while it has the same construction, the same feel of darkness than BvS. I guess people are ready now.
And I fully agree on Marvel, WB can't beat them it's far too late. They better get Snyder do his own thing.
Let's hope it's not too late and the SnyderVerse can continue...

Oh and give me more of this in the next WW, not that odd Diana we got in WW84:
ryJ2ihc.gif

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it. That was SO GOOD. I really, really had a great time. Watched two hours yesterday and two hours tonight, time flew by.

I seriously cannot comprehend how they even put the 2017 version together the way they did, considering the source material.

Man what a ride. That epilogue was just insane.

MastaKiiLA

The release of the 2017 "movie" is the direct result of the poor (to say the least) reception of BvS. I remember loving that movie and everybody was spiting on it, comparing it to Green Lantern and worse, and insulting Snyder for "what he has done to their icon".
Now everybody is praising ZSJL while it has the same construction, the same feel of darkness than BvS. I guess people are ready now.
And I fully agree on Marvel, WB can't beat them it's far too late. They better get Snyder do his own thing.
Let's hope it's not too late and the SnyderVerse can continue...

Oh and give me more of this in the next WW, not that cringy Diana we got in WW84:
ryJ2ihc.gif
I also enjoyed both the theatrical and ultimate versions of BvS, but Ultimate is definitely the better version. I have no idea why studios hire directors, and then castrate their vision. They should never have hires Zack in the first place, if they were going to constantly second-guess his work. If BvS Ultimate was the theatrical cut, I think it would have been better received, eventhough I didn't have an issue with what we got in the theaters. I feel like the Martha thing is what threw most people off, but it wasn't really that central to the overall story.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just finished it. That was SO GOOD. I really, really had a great time. Watched two hours yesterday and two hours tonight, time flew by.

I seriously cannot comprehend how they even put the 2017 version together the way they did, considering the source material.

Man what a ride. That epilogue was just insane.
And don't forget that WB wants the 2017 version to be the one chosen for the future of films...
Despicable Me Lol GIF

I also enjoyed both the theatrical and ultimate versions of BvS, but Ultimate is definitely the better version. I have no idea why studios hire directors, and then castrate their vision. They should never have hires Zack in the first place, if they were going to constantly second-guess his work. If BvS Ultimate was the theatrical cut, I think it would have been better received, eventhough I didn't have an issue with what we got in the theaters. I feel like the Martha thing is what threw most people off, but it wasn't really that central to the overall story.
Yes, I think the same. But WB likes to screw it up. Big times.

MastaKiiLA

Half way through and not impressed yet..
it’s so slow, lots of unneeded moments like the girls singing and car crash that goes on way too long.
Remember that he was setting up the universe. The girls singing seems odd and excessive, but the car crash is part of the Flashpoint storyline, as was his role in the end battle. It was initially introduced in BvS too. If Snyder's ever allowed to finish his franchise, all the strange bits will make sense. He was tasked with building a universe, and then DC made painful efforts to cut out the interconnected pieces from the theatrical cuts of BvS and JL. Ultimate and the Snyder Cut make it clear where he wanted to go with things. I really hope he gets a crack at JL2, sans studio interference.

If WB wants the 2017 version to be canon, the only important differences are the fate of the Terminator 2 dude and maybe Barry's time travel. A Cyborg movie ain't happening so that fixes number one and number two can be dealt with in like four words.
The characters are already portrayed in different ways depending on the director. Nobody's going to bring up stuff like the tea scene or different action beats.
Aquaman already worked fine. I'm actually surprised Snyder had the retarded dolphin clicks, surely he was aware James Wan is doing it differently?

Dark Star

Invited a couple friends over, ate a few pizzas, watched the whole 4 hours in one sitting (yes, we smoked up before). Man, what an adventure. I thought it was pretty good, and a lot more memorable than the original cut. The aspect ratio was kind of annoying, though.

Not a huge fan of Jared Leto's Joker, though. That was one WEIRD dream lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I honestly don't understand if this is the version WB were handed originally, why the fuck didn't they trust Snyder and release it, and not get Wheeeeedon in to completely butcher it?
Would you trust snyder if the movie got 27% rotten rating?

would you trust snyder if his movie was memed to death?

would you trust snyder if the fans turned on both superman and batman killing people?

blame the dumb movie going population. blame the assholes trolling every non Marvel movie on twitter. blame the jaded critics who for some reason lavish praise at marvel movies, and trash movies that try to do things without adding quips every fight minutes.

the execs had no choice. they also didnt think snyder would step down completely. they figured both whedon and snyder would work together to add some quips but whedon was given keys to the kingdom and he went and redid the whole movie.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I get its his cut of footage he didn't get to finish, but there are some parts that feel so disjointed. Like there were missing scenes in between story beats.

Im enjoying it, but its hard not to notice.

giphy.gif

Davey Cakes

I don’t consider myself a Marvel shill. I barely read comics and I only got into The Avengers because of the movies. I grew up with Batman, particularly the animated series. All that said, I just thought that Batman Vs Superman was a dreadful, depressing slog of a movie when I saw it in theaters.

It’s not Snyder, necessarily. I’m just not particularly into the DCEU. I find Wonder Woman to be overrated (it’s about as good as the first Captain America), Suicide Squad to be underwhelming, and I haven’t bothered with the other films because I just haven’t been inclined.

The exception is Shazam. I thought that was a fun 8/10.

I do have an HBO MAX subscription that’s begging for use, so perhaps I’ll give ZSJL a shot considering the positive reception. Having not seen the Whedon cut, I’ll have a fresh perspective.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I don’t consider myself a Marvel shill. I barely read comics and I only got into The Avengers because of the movies. I grew up with Batman, particularly the animated series. All that said, I just thought that Batman Vs Superman was a dreadful, depressing slog of a movie when I saw it in theaters.

It’s not Snyder, necessarily. I’m just not particularly into the DCEU. I find Wonder Woman to be overrated (it’s about as good as the first Captain America), Suicide Squad to be underwhelming, and I haven’t bothered with the other films because I just haven’t been inclined.

The exception is Shazam. I thought that was a fun 8/10.

I do have an HBO MAX subscription that’s begging for use, so perhaps I’ll give ZSJL a shot considering the positive reception. Having not seen the Whedon cut, I’ll have a fresh perspective.

Batman Vs Superman is a bad movie, disjointed and awkward, either the WB suits once again interfered too much in the movie or Snyder did that thing he does sometimes where he loses control of his vision making it an incomprehensible mess. Did you like Man of Steel? If you did you'll definitely like this, if you didn't you might not. I fucking love MoS and liked this movie a lot too, not only Snyder seems to care about his characters but the action is leagues better imo than anything we've seen from this category.

Btw that final action scene was so fucking good, so. fucking. good. Compare that with Whedon's cliche Marvel style bullshit where they spend half the time saving a Russian family and you can see why I like Snyder.

Last edited:

The Skull

One thing I will say is that some of the cinematography from this version is fantastic, patricularly when flash is catching the falling rubble and his scene towards the end.

Vestal

Gold Member
One very glaring example is towards the last act of the film. They are all in the "bat cave" just talking, and Alfred mentions to Bruce that you have to see something on the monitor. We then get transported to a scene we saw back in the original Justice League of them getting on the ship ready to go for battle. Bruce in his new suit when just a split second ago Batman was still wearing the original suit.

There were quiet a few other points throughout the movie that felt similar to it.

Last edited:

YCoCg

For those complaining about the aspect ratio, I've always said this would be a good candidate for 1.66:1 (aka, "European Widescreen"), here's a few screenshots of random points in the film cut to that aspect ratio cropping the main focus points which would fill up more screen space on a normal 16:9 TV...

zacksnydersjusticeleaqqkc8.png

zacksnydersjusticelea4xjud.png

zacksnydersjusticeleacxkgu.png

zacksnydersjusticeleahoktg.png

OneBigPuss

One very glaring example is towards the last act of the film. They are all in the "bat cave" just talking, and Alfred mentions to Bruce that you have to see something on the monitor. We then get transported to a scene we saw back in the original Justice League of them getting on the ship ready to go for battle. Bruce in his new suit when just a split second ago Batman was still wearing the original suit.

There were quiet a few other points throughout the movie that felt similar to it.
Nothing was "cut" or not recorded. He left the studio when they were already in post production so the principal photography was already finished. It was stated before that the bat carrier can't fly because of some software issues, then Cyborg said that he know what the issue is and he can fix it, next you have a scene with Alfred meddling with it and after that before that scene with Batman sitting in chair you see that Cyborg is doing something. Alfred say "you have to see this" with a smile and next scene is the functional bat carrier. Tell me where batman has his BvS suit because he only has it at the start and tell me about "few other points". Or are you saying that he had the other suit when he was sitting and next scene he had his more armored version? If yes then he just suit up before the battle. Nothing "glaring" honestly.
One that stuck out for me is after the tunnel flooded and Cyborg flew away while the rest were left on the Crawler with the water rising?
He got them to safety and went for the box. You wanted few minutes of them going up?

Last edited:
Top Bottom