• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League Review Thread

FunkMiller

The file I got was 7.02 GB lol. It was in 1080p alright (I don't know if you'll be able to stream it in 4K?), but that was just fine for me.

Same here. Would have gladly waited and paid for a PPV, but no fucking way I’m taking out a subscription for something I don’t want. Perfectly good copy, probably about as good as Sky will be broadcasting anyway.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
nobody is going to the cinema these days. did someone forget to let him know about COVID?

people are gonna be watching the movie on a 16:9 or heck even a 18:9, 19.5:9, 21:9 screen.

by all means make an IMAX version but keep it for IMAX. For home watching put it in widescreen.
You know you can crop the image yourself with your telecommand right ? There is a button just for this
It's magic
notorious ryan guzman GIF by The Paley Center for Media

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Overreaction much?

It was shot for IMAX.
Do own a fucking IMAX screen lad?? Nah didn't think so, you probably like the rest of the planet have a 16:9 wide-screen telly that the vast majority of filmmaking community seem to have no problems utilizing... It's an appalling choice and from reading his views on it comes from a fucking woeful "it'll look amazing in IMAX" the dickhead cut, shot and edited this during a fucking pandemic when all cinemas are shut for an TV screaming service and he picked 4:3...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
That's kind of simplifying the aspect ratio change. Here's a good comparison using the BvS blu-ray vs. remastered with the new aspect ratio.

Other: Comparison between the regular BvS Blu-ray vs the new IMAX remaster : DC_Cinematic (reddit.com)

New vs old BvS Remaster! : DCEU_Discussions (reddit.com)
All I see there is him being a cock and originally shooting it for 4:3 IMAX and it being zoomed into to fill the 16:9 frame, no wonder there is a load of lost detail, if he had shot it to utilize a full wide-screen frame we still could've had the detail but more information in the sides, I dunno about you but I've been conditioned over the past 25odd years to appreciate the cinematic look to wide-screen and it's inherent benefits

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do own a fucking IMAX screen lad?? Nah didn't think so, you probably like the rest of the planet have a 16:9 wide-screen telly that the vast majority of filmmaking community seem to have no problems utilizing... It's an appalling choice and from reading his views on it comes from a fucking woeful "it'll look amazing in IMAX" the dickhead cut, shot and edited this during a fucking pandemic when all cinemas are shut for an TV screaming service and he picked 4:3...

It's an appalling choice to film a movie in imax now? This was shot years ago before the pandemic.

You're inability to have a conversation without using names and calling people dickheads is hilarious.

Good day.

cr0w

Old Member
All I see there is him being a cock and originally shooting it for 4:3 IMAX and it being zoomed into to fill the 16:9 frame, no wonder there is a load of lost detail, if he had shot it to utilize a full wide-screen frame we still could've had the detail but more information in the sides, I dunno about you but I've been conditioned over the past 25odd years to appreciate the cinematic look to wide-screen and it's inherent benefits

I've been conditioned over the past 40 years to understand and appreciate different aspect ratios and the reason they're used by various filmmakers. Kubrick, for instance, primarily shot in 4:3 but also toyed around with 1:66:1 and 1:37:1. If a director wants to utilize the IMAX format at any point, they will lose 27% of the frame by staying in 1:85:1. That's how he wanted to shoot the film. A director shouldn't care about what you've been conditioned to appreciate, they should be concerned with making the film they want to make.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's an appalling choice to film a movie in imax now? This was shot years ago before the pandemic.

You're inability to have a conversation without using names and calling people dickheads is hilarious.

Good day.
Ack it's the way I talk don't take no offense from it FFS and yes it is an appalling choice, not every city has an IMAX and when it's done with its IMAX run what then? It's now forever mortalized in a 4:3 format which simply doesn't suit a home viewing environment. I don't know about you but I want my movies to fill the full frame of my oled TV not just the central bit, I don't mind the other wider ratios as again we're conditioned to the format, I've been looking forward to a decent big budget new blockbuster event movie for ages and to just find out this is coming out as per the terrible trailer format... Well to say I wanted to put a fist through a wall is an understatement

cr0w

Old Member
Ack it's the way I talk don't take no offense from it FFS and yes it is an appalling choice, not every city has an IMAX and when it's done with its IMAX run what then? It's now forever mortalized in a 4:3 format which simply doesn't suit a home viewing environment. I don't know about you but I want my movies to fill the full frame of my oled TV not just the central bit, I don't mind the other wider ratios as again we're conditioned to the format, I've been looking forward to a decent big budget new blockbuster event movie for ages and to just find out this is coming out as per the terrible trailer format... Well to say I wanted to put a fist through a wall is an understatement

You understand that a movie shot at 1:85:1 will still have black bars on the top and bottom of the frame, right? Either way the full frame of your OLED isn't being utilized for the most part, outside of the IMAX shots in The Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises and select other films. You've just gotten used to the bars being in one place and seeing them on the sides is jarring, which is understandable.

LordCBH

You are overreacting bro.

cr0w

Old Member
Oof, can you imagine getting drunk and watching Green Lantern and Josstice League back to back?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
SO because not every city has an IMAX we just shouldnt explore IMAX and different aspect ratios? We get it. You aren't a fan. But the world doesn't revolve around you.

Should we stop watching 2:35:1 movies as well? Hardly think so.

Kadve

Now we just wait for screen junkies too make a honest trailer video full of crow.

They made a joke video mocking people not long before it was announced after all!

(The funniest bit is of course the fact that Yahtzee made the exact same mistake right before DN: Forever got a proper release date. You think these YouTube creators will learn from one another.)

Mihos

Gold Member
you can actually rent the IMAX near me for $200 and play video games or bring your own movies..... But it is only for 2 hour sessions, so this movie is out.

sol_bad

I've been conditioned over the past 40 years to understand and appreciate different aspect ratios and the reason they're used by various filmmakers. Kubrick, for instance, primarily shot in 4:3 but also toyed around with 1:66:1 and 1:37:1. If a director wants to utilize the IMAX format at any point, they will lose 27% of the frame by staying in 1:85:1. That's how he wanted to shoot the film. A director shouldn't care about what you've been conditioned to appreciate, they should be concerned with making the film they want to make.

I was kind of annoyed at first about the IMAX 4:3 aspect ratio as well but I totally forgot that the film was shot back in 2016.
^_^

Is this film available in 4K on the torrentz?
Like I mentioned before, only place to watch it is in Oz through a streaming service with crappy quality. I'll sub to them for a month but I still want to watch the best possible quality.

ManaByte

There's no reason WB couldn't have edited this down to a 179 min version in theaters.

And if you edit out the stuff that clashes with what Wan did in Aquaman it could still be canon.

Last edited:

Hugare

There's no reason WB couldn't have edited this down to a 179 min version in theaters.

And if you edit out the stuff that clashes with what Wan did in Aquaman it could still be canon.
WB saw an opening to change the movie to a more "Marvel-esque" version with Joss and took it

They are to blame, really. Because obviously they could have gone with what they had from Snyder + some new scenes if they wanted to.

It was disrespectful as fuck, if you ask me. Especialy considering the reason why Zack left the project.

Agreed. If WB was smart, don't touch anything almost from the last 2 hours, that was all excellent. Extremely well done. But take the first 2 hours and bust out the scissors. A lot of that could be cut easily as I thought a lot of that first half was either superfluous or just downright not good. Wasn't a piece of shit but was kinda losing me. From the scene where they introduce gordon to the end credits was amazing. If they had salvaged that? I think we'd have a different landscape for DC on film right now. 100% would've been better reviewed. And I think would've done better at the box office too.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Better than the theatrical release back in 2017, better than Black Panther.

Sadly except for Superman, Batman and WW, the other super hero characters were "dull". Darkside looked like a generic beefy-bald guy with glowing eyes. Why is Steppenwolf more intimidating than his Boss?

Feels like Avengers Infinity War in DC terms, hopefully DC Endgame will be just pure action. Unsure about the premise for Justice League Endgame.

Better than the theatrical release back in 2017, better than Black Panther.

Sadly except for Superman, Batman and WW, the other super hero characters were "dull". Darkside looked like a generic beefy-bald guy with glowing eyes. Why is Steppenwolf more intimidating than his Boss?

Feels like Avengers Infinity War in DC terms, hopefully DC Endgame will be just pure action. Unsure about the premise for Justice League Endgame.
Yeah nah I can't take anyone seriously that says Cyborg was dull compared to Superman in this movie with Superman having less than half the screen time of the others.
Bro, either you were high as fuck or didn't watch the movie at all.

Better than 2017 JL.

Amazing the contrast of the Cyborg in 2017 to this Cyborg where he is pretty much the most important member of the league. In 2017 he was just sort of there in the background, a forgotten character. Snyder did an amazing job to flesh it out in his version with the back story of a Victor Stone and the struggles with his new abilities and identity.

Superman just ended up being the muscle again with very little dialogue. Loved the staredown between him and Darkseid at the end.

Overall a much better movie but my only criticism is that Darkseid was missing the fear factor. He looks imposing as fuck but something about his character doesnt make you fear him.
Maybe they had planned a seperate story arc for this character for any sequels.
WB should trust directors vision for these projects.

The Skull

Watching this later today and I'm fucking hyped. I've heard the film still has its problems with regards to pacing, i mean it is 4 hours long tbf, and some team centric dialogue but it is night and day how much better it is than the Whedon cut.

Great Hair

Banned
Yeah nah I can't take anyone seriously that says Cyborg was dull compared to Superman in this movie with Superman having less than half the screen time of the others.
Bro, either you were high as fuck or didn't watch the movie at all.

His only purpose in this film was to touch the third motherbox, because daddy patched him up with it years ago. He had no gravitas at all, except for a) operate a cube and b) revive superman, because he has the .pdf "How to revive Superman in his ship" on his internal SSD.

He is a weak-ass-whiney-emo-bitch-with-daddy-issue-and-a-Yee Yee Ass Haircut-with-nothing-to-say-and-weak-weapons. Batman could have easily used one of his gadgets, to revive Superman ... you know to generate electricity. Staring "tough" into the camera ain´t acting.

Maybe it´s the character, the actor or the script given, but cyborg on screen is a near turnoff. While Sausage Guy on Crack in a Red Suit saving sexy Afro lady driving a 70y old cabriolet was boring, dumb,unfunny, out of place.

Justice League SC was better than Hulk 2003 or Green Lantern but holds no candle against any other marvel flick, even the boring Ironman 3 (maybe not).

face the truth GIF

YCoCg

In regards to the aspect ratio, it would've be cool to see this in 1.66:1 instead (or 5:3) to fill the screen a bit more with minor cropping, there's plenty of head space to do so.

TriSuit666

Banned
*sits back watching it in an IMAX sized screen on Skybox VR*

(It's great by the way)

Umbasaborne

Banned
There are people like that?

I'm probably the biggest MCU fan on this forum and I am very pleasantly surprised and happy that this film is rating well. The DCEU is no where near as good as the MCU for me but I like how the Snyder films were different tonally to the MCU. I enjoyed Shazam! and Aquaman as well but felt that they lost their identity a bit by trying to ape the MCU.
Keep it grimdark I say.
Not on this forum, but definitely on era. I agree. 7 dont think every super hero film needs the same tone as marvel

Well it's certainly grimdark! Is that appropriate for superman / batman / wonderwoman? It's.... different at least!

Superman just wants to kill things from the get go, Batman says Fuck to the Joker, Joker offers a reach around and wonderwoman squishes people against walls in a bloody mess and decapitates left and right.

Flash is great. Hope it's the same actor in the stand alone film.

Robot man I'll never like, just seems weak and uninteresting.

Letto as Joker was fantastic! He about came unglued when bats admitted to killing Harley Quinn!

TriSuit666

Banned
I honestly don't understand if this is the version WB were handed originally, why the fuck didn't they trust Snyder and release it, and not get Wheeeeedon in to completely butcher it?

Kadve

I honestly don't understand if this is the version WB were handed originally, why the fuck didn't they trust Snyder and release it, and not get Wheeeeedon in to completely butcher it?

It wasn't. The movie was unfished when Autumn died and Snyder felt like he couldn't continue . They had to bring in someone and it might just as well have been Whedon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom