• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League might get R-rated theatrical release

ManaByte

Gold Member

"Here's one piece of information nobody knows: The movie is insane and so epic and is probably rated R — that's one thing I think will happen, that it will be an R-rated version, for sure," Snyder tells EW. "We haven't heard from the MPAA, but that's my gut."

Asked for details about what makes the new footage explicit, Snyder reveals, "There's one scene where Batman drops an F-bomb. Cyborg is not too happy with what's going on with his life before he meets the Justice League, and he tends to speak his mind. And Steppenwolf is pretty much just hacking people in half. So [the rating would be due to] violence and profanity, probably both."

buizel

Banned
khurdqegzgrfzcp0dgis.gif

look at zack going 'nyaaaas' after a good job he did

i love bvs. probly the only one here. idk about this justice league; other version was trash dunno how much it can be redeemed

R does not automatically = better.
Nothing about Man of Steel made me think, "This would be so much better if Pa Kent said 'fuck' exactly twice, and then got chopped in half by tornado debris". I am very interested to see how this film turns out, of course, but I think sometimes artists get this mentality that getting an R rating in the US is artistic fulfillment or something.
Something I'd like to note is that this gif is reflective of the really good rapport Snyder manages to have with his actors, and it's a factor in why they generally speak so highly of him. He keeps things friendly, professional, and he walks them through their roles. It might look goofy out of context, but a lot of directors just roll the camera and don't really give their actors direction on what to do. A lot of big superhero movies are shot mostly on greenscreen, and the actors have to do the best they can. Snyder supports these people as actors and works through the character with them, and tries to come to a common understanding of what is going to be onscreen.

This was a major sore spot with the final cut of Justice League. A lot of that shared understanding between actors and director got thrown out by Joss Whedon who had his own ideas about what JL should be, and didn't particularly care what the actors thought, and even bullied the actors when they wouldn't go along with what he wanted. There's that stink over him threatening Gal Godot if she wouldn't take part in the "flash falls on her boobs" scene, and he ended up using a stunt double for the scene when she continued to defy him. There's just a fundamental difference in work ethic between Snyder and a lot of these big comic book movie directors.

As an aside, CIA Guy said working with Christopher Nolan was like working on a high school film project that cost hundreds of millions of dollars. It was a fiasco. He had no direction, no way to ground his performance, the IMAX cameras were deafening, and Nolan and his cameraman were just running around seemingly at random. People wonder why Talia's death scene in TDKR is so bad. That's Nolan for you.

Last edited:
Snyder is hit and miss for me.
Misses were those "five girls in an asylum" and "Batman vs Superman" films, for instance.

But when it's "hit", like "300", "Watchmen" and "Man of Steel", it's really amazing what he does.

I think it's good with Snyders stuff we have a different version of comic book movies than what we get with Marvel, even if not all of it is my brew of tea.

LMJ

A real sad state of affairs when a little profanity and gore make a movie go R...

hell make it one Fbomb and change the color of the blood and you could probably swing a PG 13...thats how retarded the damn rating system is.

trikster40

A real sad state of affairs when a little profanity and gore make a movie go R...

hell make it one Fbomb and change the color of the blood and you could probably swing a PG 13...thats how retarded the damn rating system is.

Amen. I grew up and Temple of Doom was rated PG. And that had a heart being pulled out of a guys chest.

Kadve

Amen. I grew up and Temple of Doom was rated PG. And that had a heart being pulled out of a guys chest.

The introduction of PG-13 completely screwed up the scale. Instead of Settling in between PG and R it pushed the entire scale forward/backwards to the point that X and g doesn't really exist anymore. And took a goof chunk of R's lower scale and PG's upper and made them booth much narrower.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
I stumbled over this on Twitter and was quite appalled °_°

I don't know if he's actually involved with the movie, yet this way of behaving generates very POOR vibes about the so-called "Snyder Cut Community".

Top Bottom