• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder Sets Next Movie, Sci-Fi Adventure ‘Rebel Moon’, at Netflix

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The filmmaker has gone from zombie apocalypses and ancient Greece to nightmares and Metropolis. Now he is heading into far away galaxies.

E5peiTaUcAI8QP3

*Art not official

Snyder has set his next project, an epic sci-fi fantasy titled Rebel Moon that he is co-writing and will direct and produce for Netflix, the home of his most recent hit, Army of the Dead.
And it re-teams the filmmaker with many of the creative colleagues of his past original ventures.

Snyder is co-writing the script with Army co-screenwriter Shay Hatten and Kurt Johnstad, who co-wrote 300, Snyder’s stylish sword-and-sandal flick adapting the Frank Miller comic. Snyder and Johnstad will receive story by credit.

The story is set in motion when a peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy is threatened by the armies of a tyrannical regent named Balisarius.
Desperate people dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighboring planets to help them make a stand.

“This is me growing up as an Akira Kurosawa fan, a Star Wars fan,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s my love of sci-fi and a giant adventure. My hope is that this also becomes a massive IP and a universe that can be built out.”

Rebel
finds the germs of its origins in a Star Wars pitch the filmmaker had developed a decade ago.
It was a more mature take on the universe created by George Lucas and didn’t move beyond any meaningful conversations after the Walt Disney Company acquired LucasFilm in 2012.
At one point, he and Newman even went down the path of making it a series.

But it was as a feature that he felt its true potential lay. He began reworking the idea with Johnstad and really dove in at the same time as he began making Army of the Dead, bringing in that movie’s co-scribe, Hatten.
The latter, at 27, had quietly become an in-demand franchise writer, deepening the world of John Wick for Lionsgate by working on the third and upcoming fourth and fifth installments.

“I’ve spent the last two or three years building out this universe. Every corner has to be painted in. I’ve been doing designs, constantly drawing and really cultivating its fertile ground to make this world fully realized.”

Army
was viewed by 72 million people in its first four weeks, according to Netflix, landing it in the streamer’s top 10 most watched movies.
Even before its May 14 release, Snyder and Stone Quarry had a German-language prequel movie and an anime series in production, making Army not just an original property, but a franchise.

Rebel will be another IP and a hoped-for franchise for Netflix, which is building its arsenal in the age of streaming wars.
The feature will be Snyder’s next movie and the hope is to begin production in early 2022.
“I’ve been working on this on the side for so long, it’s pretty far along,” he says.

All this unfurls as Snyder has one of the biggest years in his filmmaking career. On top of Army and the new project, he also saw his vision of Justice League restored and make a splashy debut on HBO Max.
And the movie’s recent international release on DVD and Blu-ray saw it catapult to the top of the sales charts in several countries, France and Brazil among them

Last edited:

ZehDon

Could be good, but I’m hesitant. Will it be a 90 minute story told in a two and a half hour film like “Army of the Dead”?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Army of the dead was garbage. Who in their right mind writes a script where most characters are absolute dumbasses, most of the decisions and plans are pure stupid, characters are forgotten midway, nothing makes sense and there are jumbojet sized loopholes everywhere?
Not very high hopes from this then.

Army of the dead was garbage. Who in their right mind writes a script where most characters are absolute dumbasses, most of the decisions and plans are pure stupid, characters are forgotten midway, nothing makes sense and there are jumbojet sized loopholes everywhere?
Not very high hopes from this then.
I gave up on him. I used to think he was good, cause of watchmen. He made pure shit since then. I still watched them all. So im the problem.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My prediction.
Will look nice with unnecessary slow down sequences. A weird filter to look desaturated and sharp. But the story will suck

No need to thank me

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Looking forward to 90 minutes of story in 200 minutes of film, one dimensional characterisation, illogical plot developments, gross coincidences, lots of sloooooo moooooo, and a movie that makes zero sense, but looks majestic.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Man people love to hate Snyder. Can we stop acting like Army of the Dead is the only movie he made? 300 was AWESOME, same for Dawn of the Dead, MoS, BvS (UE) and ZSJL (and they all have amazing OST btw)

In what universe is army of the dead a fucking hit?!
Very badly received, but strong numbers. Just like Suicide Squad 2016 who nobody's liked but everybody's saw and the movie made almost 800M.

MastaKiiLA

Very badly received, but strong numbers. Just like Suicide Squad 2016 who nobody's liked but everybody's saw and the movie made almost 800M.
People who hate Zack Snyder are very vocal about it. Probably because they see that so many of us actually enjoy his films, and thus feel the need to shout about it.

There are tons of directors I think are mediocre, or don't like on some level. I don't complain about them, because I just ignore or forget their movies. I don't know why the Snyder detractors feel so justified in their vocal derision of the filmmaker. It's like admitting that you can't ignore something you find distasteful. A bunch of masochists, I guess.

Pejo

After Army of the Dead, no thanks. I think 300 was the best we're ever gonna get from him. (The original, not the unnecessary sequel). Ok Sucker Punch may be a guilty pleasure too.

Burning Blade

Gold Member
I will watch. I will enjoy. Zack Snyder has his own cult of followers, and I'm a proud member. Haters be damned.
I wouldn’t say I’m a cult follower but I’ve generally enjoyed most of his movies with Watchmen and MOS as my top two. 300 was a real fun ass movie, used to watch that once or twice a year with my pops back in the day. Also really liked what he did with the Snyder Cut, shit was very entertaining. I never got the hate for the guy, seems like a decent enough fellow no? I get that comic book fans have a problem with his take on things and for that I totally understand, but I’ve never read comics so I don’t have the same attachment. MOS to me still has the GOAT fight scene when Supes fights Faora. That shit gives me goosebumps (also she looks like Raiden from MGS 4 which is dope).

Konnor

I wouldn’t say I’m a cult follower but I’ve generally enjoyed most of his movies with Watchmen and MOS as my top two. 300 was a real fun ass movie, used to watch that once or twice a year with my pops back in the day. Also really liked what he did with the Snyder Cut, shit was very entertaining. I never got the hate for the guy, seems like a decent enough fellow no? I get that comic book fans have a problem with his take on things and for that I totally understand, but I’ve never read comics so I don’t have the same attachment. MOS to me still has the GOAT fight scene when Supes fights Faora. That shit gives me goosebumps (also she looks like Raiden from MGS 4 which is dope).

I pretty much am in agreement with what you posted but him co-writing the movie with the idiot who also co-wrote Army of the Dead is a recipe for disaster, that movie was fucking awful and boring. Hopefully the other writer will be able to save us from that duos' terrible writing?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I pretty much am in agreement with what you posted but him co-writing the movie with the idiot who also co-wrote Army of the Dead is a recipe for disaster, that movie was fucking awful and boring. Hopefully the other writer will be able to save us from that duos' terrible writing?
Everyone is saying "oh no Snyder is writing it's a hard pass for me" but for real I'm curious: what terrible things Snyder wrote?
I mean I get that Army of the Dead is not good, but it's still one movie. Some example of movies he helped write:

Wonder Woman: very good movie
Sucker Punch: guilty pleasure, not great but far from bad.
300: the definition of epicness
Watchmen: one of the best example of a good adaptation imo
ZSJL: very well received and solid reviews
Etc...

I get that people can dislike a movie but except AOTD, there is nothing incredibly bad and I don't think a single director in the world has made only good films during his career.
So where does all this pessimism come from?

Konnor

Everyone is saying "oh no Snyder is writing it's a hard pass for me" but for real I'm curious: what terrible things Snyder wrote?
I mean I get that Army of the Dead is not good, but it's still one movie. Some example of movies he helped write:

Wonder Woman: very good movie
Sucker Punch: guilty pleasure, not great but far from bad.
300: the definition of epicness
Watchmen: one of the best example of a good adaptation imo
ZSJL: very well received and solid reviews
Etc...

I get that people can dislike a movie but except AOTD, there is nothing incredibly bad and I don't think a single director in the world has made only good films during his career.
So where does all this pessimism come from?

Snyder actually hasn't written most of the ones you mentioned, writing the summary of the movie doesn't count as writing the movie so neither Justice League or WW count, Watchmen wasn't written by him at all and Sucker Punch is a movie that I consider a terrible incomprehensible mess that I watched once and wouldn't watch again even if you paid me. The only movie that he has actually written and isn't a mess is the first 300 which is pretty fucking badass.

So yeah, the fact that he's writing this with the other idiot that wrote Army of the Dead is very concerning, I can't even begin to describe how terrible the characters and plotlines were in that movie. Btw the only other movie Shay Hatten has ever written is the third John Wick which is where imo the John Wick franchise kicked the bucket, he's one of those Hollywood hacks that fail upwards.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel that Snyder is at his best when adapting a property (300, watchmen, etc). His wholly original projects have been pretty disappointing IMHO. Like Michael Bay, he shouldn't be allowed total creative freedom.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Snyder actually hasn't written most of the ones you mentioned, writing the summary of the movie doesn't count as writing the movie so neither Justice League or WW count, Watchmen wasn't written by him at all and Sucker Punch is a movie that I consider a terrible incomprehensible mess that I watched once and wouldn't watch again even if you paid me. The only movie that he has actually written and isn't a mess is the first 300 which is pretty fucking badass.
He was heavily involved in WW and JL, which are based on his idea with his take on the characters. He IS credited with a "Story by Zack Snyder". Without him, those movies wouldn't be the same at all, even if he wasn't alone of course it's still based on his story.
For Watchmen, I talked about adaptation, as I truly believe it's a perfect example of how to do it. Not to mention that Watchmen was, well, supposedly impossible to adapt. But Snyder said fuck it and just filmed one of the best CBM of history.
And I also add that Snyder is a very, VERY talented guy when it comes to visual storytelling.

For Sucker Punch yeah I can understand even if I'm not sharing your opinion, still nothing to be ashamed of imo.
From "I didn't liked this" to "uh oh Snyder is absolute shit" there is a world, and I try to understand why people are so pissed about him (this is not directed to you, but to the other people trashing him here)

Konnor

He was heavily involved in WW and JL, which are based on his idea with his take on the characters. He IS credited with a "Story by Zack Snyder". Without him, those movies wouldn't be the same at all, even if he wasn't alone of course it's still based on his story.
For Watchmen, I talked about adaptation, as I truly believe it's a perfect example of how to do it. Not to mention that Watchmen was, well, supposedly impossible to adapt. But Snyder said fuck it and just filmed one of the best CBM of history.
And I also add that Snyder is a very, VERY talented guy when it comes to visual storytelling.

For Sucker Punch yeah I can understand even if I'm not sharing your opinion, still nothing to be ashamed of imo.
From "I didn't liked this" to "uh oh Snyder is absolute shit" there is a world, and I try to understand why people are so pissed about him (this is not directed to you, but to the other people trashing him here)

I can give you a good idea for a movie (which is what story by basically means most of the time) but that doesn't mean I'm a good screenwriter. Screenwriters need to write consistent and interesting characters and their motivations, setup plotlines that all go somewhere, keep good pacing throughout the movie and tie all that together with a satisfying ending, so everything that the Army of the Dead didn't have.

Top Bottom