• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki talks about changes he would like to make in Shenmue 4

fvng

Judging by the response to 3 this guy seems to be little more than a manipulative scam artist akin to Inafune. Especially these days.

Bring on the rage, I guess

Game wasn't a masterpiece, must be a scam artist, yeah ok.

I was a Day 1 $100 tier backer for Shenmue III, and once I found out that it doesn't really move the story forward, it completely deflated my desire to play it.

Last edited:

Yoda

I'd have settled for a graphic novel if it meant the story would've been higher quality. I feel they really dropped the ball in this department. Without going into spoilers, the amount mysteries setup by 1 & 2 which 3 has zero curiosity for is astonishing. Obviously you can't get all the original writers back given the decade+ delay, but I feel the people who wrote 3 did like a single play through of the original games, or only watched the dvd version of it.

Shenmue 3 with a better combat system + story which builds on the many narratives of the franchise would've been a solid game, even with the low quality production in areas like animation, graphics, etc...

Breakage

I've haven't played Shenmue 3, but I recently found out that you have to keep topping up Ryo's health. The only other game that I can think of that had a similar system was Otogi on the Xbox – and I found it frustrating.
I have no idea why Suzuki added a depleting health system.

D.Final

Banned
There was a very interesting interview published earlier this week by IGN Japan.

Some interesting points:
- he estimated the end budget of Shenmue 3 at around $20m (not clear if this is just for development, or marketing etc too)
- says he made Shenmue 3 strictly for the fans, but would like to make changes to make 4 more attractive to a wider audience
- is confident about being able to make 4
- thinks that a smaller and more detailed open world design is more interesting (he's especially interesting in designing "confined areas" from a technical point of view)
- wants more in depth side stories and back stories in 4
- says that Shenmue 3 represented a new beginning, and that 4 could build on that, as Virtua Fighter 2 did with Virtua Fighter 1
- would like to add throws to 4

dsc-9538_u1q3.jpg

Here are some choice quotes I picked out, but the full translated interview is well worth reading for Shenmue fans:

Nice interview

Top Bottom