• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

Maybe with a game almost complete, further chapters can be worked on a lot more quickly/cheaply. Maybe even sold as stand alone DLC?

Last edited:

Doom85

George R.R. Martin: Heh, heh, I will go down in history as the writer who made his fanbase wait as long as possible for the resolution to the story!
Yu Suzuki: Hold my beer.

Wow, this guy's got some brass balls.

Think about about how many years it's been and the extreme unlikeliness of Shenmue 3 even existing in the first place and this maniac still wants to continue beyond 3.

I respect that, it's crazy, but I respect it.

I get the vibe that the original vision for Shenmue was taking Ryu across all of Asia on an adventure beyond just revenge.

Fox Mulder

Between this mess and the mess that has become the unnecessarily sprawling Final Fantasy VII Remake... thing... game scope is getting way the fuck out of hand.

This should’ve been the end of the story— and, if sales dictated such, a new story could rise afterward. Why invest money in a third game when the creator is basically admitting that resolution is still a ways off, and that resolution may never happen if it can’t be funded (again)?

My support for this project has been ebbing steadily with its constant delays— and this news is making me strongly reconsider buying in at all, only to be left in the lurch again. No thanks.

Why wrap it up in one game. He got fans to kickstart a new game, maybe they can do another or add dlc. The next game could probably be cheaper and faster to make after Shenmue 3.

If Shenmue 3 sells horribly they can make another manga to wrap up the last few chapters.

Last edited:

Kazza

"To be honest, at the very beginning of the project, we thought that we may not be able to do a full Shenmue," says Suzuki. "But now I can say I'm confident it's a full Shenmue. This is Shenmue."

This is a point missed so often in conversations about this game. It should be remembered that if the game would have only reached the lower tiers of the kickstarter, then we would probably have just gotten a visual novel, or some kind of The Walking Dead story-style game if we were lucky. Even once the kickstarter broke records, I (and many others) was only expecting a very small scale linear game with no voice acting at all. Instead, what we're getting is a full Shenmue game. That's a miracle!

Was just writing this. Like WTF Yu? We waited 15 years to have it all!! Not 40% ffs!!
Thanks God for that.

If he tried to resume the left story in one game it could be a disaster.

Exactly! I don't quite understand those that ask for a quick "closure" of the story. If, for example, the kickstarter had only garnered $500k in funds and Suzuki had said, "fuck it, let me just make a 30 min conclusion to the story so that everyone has closure", would fans have really been satisfied with such a rushed job?

For example, he could have made a rushed 30 minute conclusion that picked up where Shenmue 2 left off, with Lan Di appearing in the cave immediately after all the magic stuff with the other piece of the mirror, where you defeat him in a final fight, destroy or bury the mirror so that it doesn't fall into bad hands again and then live happily ever after with Shenhua in Bailu village. I mean, it would be an end alright, but a rushed one, leaving you knowing that you missed out on all the other awesome stuff Suzuki had planned for the original draft.

Personally, if 3 doesn't perform well enough to warrant another sequel, then I would prefer a nice Manga to finish off the real intended story, rather than a rushed ending.

Maybe with a game almost complete, further chapters can be worked on a lot more quickly/cheaply. Maybe even sold as stand alone DLC?
Why wrap it up in one game. He got fans to kickstart a new game, maybe they can do another or add dlc. The next game could probably be cheaper and faster to make after Shenmue 3.

If Shenmue 3 sells horribly they can make another manga to wrap up the last few chapters.

With the engine, game mechanics and character models all already in place, hopefully a 4th game would be a much cheaper project. A manga would certainly be a good alternative if a sequel isn't viable.

Mista

Banned
Exactly! I don't quite understand those that ask for a quick "closure" of the story. If, for example, the kickstarter had only garnered $500k in funds and Suzuki had said, "fuck it, let me just make a 30 min conclusion to the story so that everyone has closure", would fans have really been satisfied with such a rushed job?
Speaking about myself, no. I didn’t wait all my childhood and half of my life to get fucking 40% of the story. It’s not like we’ll get Shenmue 4 next-gen

IpsoFacto

Well, when I look at the original games, Shenmue 1 was basically one single chapter. That was excessive and drawn out. Shenmue 2 already crammed at least 3 chapters into one game. The story in Shenmue 3 should be a very significant portion, at least I hope so. Because they need to address many of the lingering questions that Shenmue 2 didn't answer and much of the mystery is still lingering. I wish the story would just wrap up in Shenmue 3 but in the back of my mind I don't think that's what they were going for.

I assume Yu Suzuki is already trying to gin up attention and interest in the current release by teasing more stuff in the works. Now hopefully a future Shenmue game wouldn't take that long to develop since they already have assets and assuming much of the game will take place in mainland China, it'll be easy to rework stuff.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh god another ff7 remake episodic shit to milk the customers?
In italy we say "they have the face like the ass" in situation like this...

GymWolf

Please explain the logic behind this saying. I don't get it, but it sounds hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's when people are without shame, and when you talk to them, their face is like an ass, he doesn't give a fuck because is a part of the body that stay in the back and has no social interaction.

It's kinda hard to explain with my shitty english...

DoomslayerJones

Neo Member
Maybe I’m just pessimistic but I don’t exactly see Shenmue selling enough to warrant any more games, maybe a Shenmue 4 but that’s it.
I could see this ending up like those penny arcade games where the rest of the plot is put up on their site and later adapted into some budget small games.

Senhua

Just pitch it to Phil or Tencent. Thats is the only way the series will be finished the way he want.
I think if he is doing it right, Tencent will probably help him as Martial art games with China mainland setting pretty popular in China though I still doubt if the original story theme is okay with them (Japanese protagonist vs China Triad)

Last edited:

IpsoFacto

True there is that lingering doubt because neither of the original Shenmue games sold as much as SEGA wanted. I remember people getting fever hot for Shenmue 3 at E3 2015 and that excitement has died out somewhat or rather expectations are more in check now, partially because of KS concerns and the amount of time it took to develop.

If Shenmue 4 is in the card or available in digital format that could certainly be a plus.

lachesis

I understand peoples frustration - but he never said that it will be a conclusion even from early on. As a matter of fact, He said multiple times that it will not be the end of Shenmue's story line and if you remotely are a fan of the game - you would have known that S1 and S2 were just a mere beginning of the saga. I hoped that S3 would be about 50% or so - but perhaps I was expecting too much of it.

If it's got a few million more of the funding - that would make about 1/8th - 1/10th of the budget that was allocated for S1. Honestly, I'd be very happy to even have 3 villages/towns in the game, which I think we'll get. It's a niche game aimed to specific target - but I'm cautiously hopeful that it'd be worth waiting for even still. I am hoping it would turn out to be a respectable game and decent seller which would warrant sequels in shorter amount of time till its end that many fans have waiting for.

If not, I guess I would have to give up all hopes of seeing its ending. It's not a bad thing, though - as I've already given up the hope of seeing S3 long time before the Kickstarter campaign. It was that sliver of hope that I was looking for, and I'm rather grateful for other backers who backed the project. If it doesn't work out and series ends here - then so be it.

The approximate percentage itself is new but Yu has been saying since the start that this game alone wont complete Ryo's story. Right or wrong I respect how devoted he is to trying to achieve his original vision.

I realize that people are still bitter about the EGS announcement, plus the usual negative projection hoping for schadenfreude but this was already known pretty close to the game being funded.

People are already complaining about the graphics and production values not matching 100+ million AAA+ blockbusters while on a 6+ million crowd funded budget. Would you really want them to try to cram the rest of the plot into that same budget/development time?

Let's get a bit more realistic here people. I know everyone loves to enjoy tearing things down and witnessing a car crash but with this game I think people need to take a chill pill and at least wait until the thing is actually out in the wild and people have played it.

From what I've seen of the gameplay footage the graphics look fine to me and the actual game seems to feel like Shenmue, it captures the essence pretty well from what I've seen.

I realize that a lot of people have never played the series and simply heard of it as some hyped legendary game so got their hopes up for some AAA+ blockbuster with cutting edge tech so I can understand some comments and reactions from people who expect something different but I can only say this:

You should have done your research and you only have yourself to blame for setting crazy expectations.

Most of my comments above are not specifically about this announcement as it is pretty old news at this point, most of my comments are instead directed at the overall reactions to the game since it was announced and the ensuing meta commentary.

You are correct about what you say but if you remember, people wanted Shenmue 3 because the franchise never got any closure. Its great that Suzuki has this ambition to make 10 sequels to finish his saga but its also his fault for not using this opportunity to kind of slim down the ark and focus because out of all the people here, he knows best there wont be another chance.

So in the end people waited 18 years to get another chapter. Sure, maybe they expected too much but trust me, after this, there wont be even half as much backers for Shenmue 4 and 3 wont sell some massive amounts to warrant a sequel for a big publisher to try and make a profit.

So in the end people will get a chapter which probably wont solve anything but leave even more questions than answers. By that assumption, then maybe it should of been left alone after Shenmue 2.

The Snake

I realize that a lot of people have never played the series and simply heard of it as some hyped legendary game so got their hopes up for some AAA+ blockbuster with cutting edge tech so I can understand some comments and reactions from people who expect something different but I can only say this:

You should have done your research and you only have yourself to blame for setting crazy expectations.

This really bugs me and I realize it's a symptom of the series' reputation coloring many non-fans' perceptions about what the franchise is. Obviously everyone knows what Shenmue is, because the fanbase (of which I am greatly involved) is incredibly dedicated and vocal-- I've been taking part in campaigns to get Shenmue III for hell, 18 years now. This is a unique situation for a very nich-styled game on a relatively niche console; not a lotta people played Shenmue, or even had the chance to, until the HD re-releases. This is causing a lot of people to come at it from the perspective of someone inundated in a world where developers are spending millions on cinematic experiences, DLC is flooding the market, etc. It's also being approached by people who expect it to be like Yakuza and ending up disappointed.

For us, the fans, those of us on Shenmue Dojo or in various Facebook groups--this game looks fantastic, and none of us want a conclusion in III. We're all eager for Shenmue IV over here. Anyone who wanted--or expected-- a conclusion in Shenmue III, or top-tier graphics and presentation, or whatever else people are criticizing it for-- are either casual fans, non-fans, or they just doing fucking get it.

Enjay

Banned

Not gonna lie I would be curious to see the results of a ShenMue IV kick starter at this point.
You are correct about what you say but if you remember, people wanted Shenmue 3 because the franchise never got any closure. Its great that Suzuki has this ambition to make 10 sequels to finish his saga but its also his fault for not using this opportunity to kind of slim down the ark and focus because out of all the people here, he knows best there wont be another chance.

So in the end people waited 18 years to get another chapter. Sure, maybe they expected too much but trust me, after this, there wont be even half as much backers for Shenmue 4 and 3 wont sell some massive amounts to warrant a sequel for a big publisher to try and make a profit.

So in the end people will get a chapter which probably wont solve anything but leave even more questions than answers. By that assumption, then maybe it should of been left alone after Shenmue 2.
This. Yu Susuki turned something good in gaming to a shitty cash grab.

The Snake

Not gonna lie I would be curious to see the results of a ShenMue IV kick starter at this point.

I'm curious to see that as well. I know a lot of people are sore about the EGS thing but we also had some Dojo members donating thousands of dollars. This one dude donated $10k to Shenmue III. I wonder if those same people would still put up that cash.

I've known this since the Kickstarter was launched for the game and I find it to be a puzzling decision. They may get a chance at a Shenmue 4, MAYBE, but even then it's a ridiculous move. I know he wants to tell the whole story but the reality is he likely will never be able to. So, what does this do to the community? It leaves them exactly where they were at the end of Shenmue II, no conclusion with no idea of whether or not another game is coming.

I find it a bit selfish that he couldn't find a way to wrap this up in the 3rd game, or at least broker a 4th game into the development of 3 like he did with the first two where they were developed back to back to ensure everything could be resolved.

I love Shenmue and Yu Suzuki but after 17 years to not finish this after a stroke of likely one time luck is just absolutely absurd.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I backed them on KS, but I was under the impression Yu realized how special this was and would try and bring the story to some form of conclusion with this one, respecting the fact he may not get a chance to do another one.
I think this is playing with fire. He's banking on the fact there will be many more stories/games but he doesn't know that. What if Shenmue 3 doesn't do that well and it ends up being the last one? He had an opportunity to conclude the story. I hope he knows what he's doing.
I've known this since the Kickstarter was launched for the game and I find it to be a puzzling decision. They may get a chance at a Shenmue 4, MAYBE, but even then it's a ridiculous move. I know he wants to tell the whole story but the reality is he likely will never be able to. So, what does this do to the community? It leaves them exactly where they were at the end of Shenmue II, no conclusion with no idea of whether or not another game is coming.

I find it a bit selfish that he couldn't find a way to wrap this up in the 3rd game, or at least broker a 4th game into the development of 3 like he did with the first two where they were developed back to back to ensure everything could be resolved.

I love Shenmue and Yu Suzuki but after 17 years to not finish this after a stroke of likely one time luck is just absolutely absurd.
Pretty much this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom