• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

Bullet Club

Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

There's still a lot more Shenmue where that came from.
The anticipated third game in the Shenmue series is finally coming this November, after another delay. But fans hoping for a conclusion to Ryo's quest for vengeance will be left hanging, as longtime series director, writer, and producer Yu Suzuki says there's more to tell.

In an interview yesterday with Suzuki, I asked him if Shenmue 3 will be a conclusion to the story. In response, Suzuki took out his water bottle and placed it on the table between us and pointed to about the halfway point.

"Whole story of this bottle, about here," Suzuki said via translator. I asked if he meant halfway. "40 percent," Suzuki responded.

Suzuki says he feels pretty confident about making the November deadline the team has set for themselves. Though development was tough, Shenmue 3 has come a long ways from where it was to start.

"To be honest, at the very beginning of the project, we thought that we may not be able to do a full Shenmue," says Suzuki. "But now I can say I'm confident it's a full Shenmue. This is Shenmue."

Suzuki also commented on the post-launch content in the works, saying it will be "something quest-based, and something action-based." Shenmue 3 is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC via the Epic Games Store on November 19, 2019.

Source: US Gamer

The Snake

He actually said this before development started, but it's interesting to see his take nonetheless.

Shenmue was originally envisioned 11+ chapters, so there was no way it was ever going to end here. Even if he does finally get his revenge, there have been hints throughout 1 and 2 that there is a larger adventure beyond the scope of defeating Lan Di.

Roni

Gold Member
I backed them on KS, but I was under the impression Yu realized how special this was and would try and bring the story to some form of conclusion with this one, respecting the fact he may not get a chance to do another one.

As an artist, though, I do understand the drive to make things as perfectly as possible.

The previews are strong, so far, so maybe this game will get a sequel soon.

Best of luck to him and all of the team!

The Snake

I found some material where Yu Suzuki mentions the scope beyond Shenmue III:

Yu Suzuki said the biggest problem for Shenmue III, is not Sega, but the funding. If the budget is not high enough the game’s overall quality will suffer. He said that he would work on the third instalment if he ever got the opportunity. The story is very far from completed, and that while he would love to make and if he could he would complete the story in Shenmue 5. Still because that is a lot of effort, he added that he’d try to finish it in the next two games.
(from 2014)

Q: Will Shenmue's story be completed with Shenmue III?

YS:
There are a lot of people who want it to be completed, but if I were to force an ending, I would have to cut a vast amount, and when put together as a game, no matter how it was rearranged it wouldn't end up being fun. So I want it to have a certain level of enjoyment when played. Also [regarding the completion of the story] I hope to complete it while I'm still alive [laughs].

Q: Does that mean you would like to make a Shenmue IV and beyond?

YS:
Yes, if possible I would like to.

Q: So for now then, the story won't be completed in Shenmue III?

YS:
No, I don't think it will be completed. It just won't be enjoyable if forced to a conclusion.
(from 2017)

Personally I'm glad the series doesn't end here. Now that the basics have been created, creation of a fourth game could be done not only faster but on a bigger scale.

EDIT: I also recall him mentioning at one point that funding for Shenmue III would help fund IV, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Last edited:
Fair play to him, he seems confident there will be more Shenmue games to finish the story, although I kinda wish this was the end of the current story, just in case this is the last game for another 10+ years lol

Pejo

Too bad he killed the future of this game by fucking all these Backers and making a deal with EPIC
Yea, it looks like it ends at 40% then. If Yu was into irony, he should have Ryo get hit by a bus with a Kickstarter ad on the side after the credits. No matter how good the game is I won't be buying anything else with the Shenmue name on it.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks God for that.

If he tried to resume the left story in one game it could be a disaster.

Everything (except graphics) are shaping great for this game.

PS, Looking at replies you see who played the first two games and who not lol there is absolutely no way to put the full Ryo's story in only Shenmue 3.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I thought he was pretty consistent over the years that it would at least take 4-5 games to do the 11 chapters he wants. The first two games and a manga covered chapters 1-5.

After all what I've read I think that world don't deserve any more Shenmue. A lot of selfnominated diehard fans prefere no games over a different client on the same platform.
I'm worried about Epic Store spyware controversy, so I will wait and support the game on different marketplace wen it'll arrive. Of course I've already preordered the PS4 version too. I hope that it will find a financial stability so that they don't have to rely on backers.
Hope that the deal with epic is worth enough money to help lowering the risks and help the studio, even If i'm not an epic store user.

Enjay

Banned
And just when I thought squenix's desperation was showing more info about this fucked up cash grab come forward. lol this is gonna be such heartbreaker. No one even gave a shit about this franchise until they saw how much the public wanted to see the story finish. Yu Suzuki included.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
How many chapters does Shenmue III entail? Wasn't the complete story supposed to be 16 chapters in total?

e3 2020 Kickstarter on Xbox Stage presented by Phil Spencer yadayada Projecto Scareltto. Another 8mill. for the 2nd 40% and if we are lucky he might give us the final 20% in form of a 4h long cutscene.

Why do ppl. still have such hope/interst in this game? Shenmue 1 had to be played when released, now get Yakuza instead. Also ust 40% completed Story, means Shenmue 3 ends witha a cliffhanger or that a new threat shows up for part 4?! Or that i already forgot the antagonists name YET again manages to escape ...

Last edited:
Think of the journey, not the destination. :D

After some contemplation I think, well, yeah. While it may be disappointing not to see the full story 'till the end, it's still interesting to see it unfolding for as long as it lasts. Back in 2000 I didn't care, and in 2001 when I got Shenmue II I didn't care either; I (and I assume many others) were just curious about the the chapter(s) at hand...we didn't know any better. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Dontero

Banned
Story was written for around 9-10 games back in S2 times.

Too bad he killed the future of this game by fucking all these Backers and making a deal with EPIC

lol as if few dudes out there with strong opinion and didn't back kickstarter in first place will change anything.
If game is good it will sell and they will move toward next game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
After all what I've read I think that world don't deserve any more Shenmue. A lot of selfnominated diehard fans prefere no games over a different client on the same platform.
I'm worried about Epic Store spyware controversy, so I will wait and support the game on different marketplace wen it'll arrive. Of course I've already preordered the PS4 version too. I hope that it will find a financial stability so that they don't have to rely on backers.
Hope that the deal with epic is worth enough money to help lowering the risks and help the studio, even If i'm not an epic store user.
There is no spyware in Epic Store client.

But I'm with... PS4 version.

I thought he was pretty consistent over the years that it would at least take 4-5 games to do the 11 chapters he wants. The first two games and a manga covered chapters 1-5.
That is true yet.
It is just that some guys never know about Shenmue before well the Kickstarter :D

Story was written for around 9-10 games back in S2 times.
I won't say 9-10 games because you can put 1-3 chapters in each game but I believe one or two games after 3 is needed.

Last edited:
Ryo: I will have my rev~

Yu: No Ryo...you still have to wait!

Ryo: I have been a teenager for over 18 years please let me get my re~

Yu: Nope....I will say when you get your revenge!

Ryo: I beg of you....being like this for 18 years without a conclusion is...

Yu: Until we get to the 8th game....you will be revered as a GOD to gamers.

Ryo: ....I just want revenge...

ethomaz

Banned
Ugh, that store again. Can't it just die? Shenmue had hopes and potential, that was ruined due to that. Steam users paid for that game, and now...
The game is the Shenmue same with same hopes and potential... a launcher client will never change that.

I really hope the game turns out a masterpiece like the predecessors.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
The game is the Shenmue same with same hopes and potential... a launcher client will never change that.

I really hope the game turns out a masterpiece like the predecessors.

Well, I mean, you do have an point though. But I believe there was a lot of backlash from Steam users when they found out that the game would be on Epic Game Store. And in addition, they are not being refunded for those who already preordered it.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, I mean, you do have an point though. But I believe there was a lot of backlash from Steam users when they found out that the game would be on Epic Game Store. And in addition, they are not being refunded for those who already preordered it.
Are they not being refunded due the preording or backing/donating? Because there is no refund to the late.

I backed the project so I will receive a gift PS4 copy of the game.
I did not preordered the game.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Are they not being refunded due the preording or backing/donating? Because there is no refund to the late.

Preordering. There has been a lot of peoples who even went their way to preorder the game for Steam, and now that the change has been announced, they are outraged about it. Some even said they need refunds, but according to the latest news from what I've read, the Shenmue devs are refusing to refund Steam users.

I believe there is an law that states that if there is an change in platform or discontinuation of an platform during the development, then the users who preordered the game on said platforms should get an full refund.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Preordering. There has been a lot of peoples who even went their way to preorder the game for Steam, and now that the change has been announced, they are outraged about it. Some even said they need refunds, but according to the latest news from what I've read, the Shenmue devs are refusing to refund Steam users.
That makes no sense.
Steam itself refunds preorders even more if the game won't come out to their platform.

Shenmue devs are refusing to refund backers that choose to be gifted with the Steam copy of the game.
That is more accurate.
There is no legal terms to force them to refund a backer.

I think you are misunderstanding what is happening.

Last edited:

Thabass

That makes no sense.
Steam itself refunds preorders even more if the game won't come out to their platform.

Shenmue devs are refusing to refund backers/donators that choose to be gifted with the Steam copy of the game.
That is more accurate.

Can confirm. I just had to cancel my FFXIV Shadowbringers pre-order since I learned my version of ARR was a Square Enix bought version. So I had to pre-order through Amazon and get a new code.

Steam refunded the entire amount.

Michele

you.
That makes no sense.

Shenmue devs are refusing to refund backers that choose to be gifted with the Steam copy of the game.
That is more accurate.
There is no legal terms to force them to refund a backer.

I think you are misunderstanding what is happening.

If this is true, then I apologize for the misunderstanding. I've learnt about that news recently through this site- https://www.destructoid.com/backers...iii-epic-games-store-exclusivity-556998.phtml so it looks like I might have been mistaken. But still, it is concerning for the reputation of the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

Shifty

giphy.gif

Michele

you.
That article says Backers...

Checking the Steam page of the game down't seem the preorder even started.

After some more research, I learned what you meant. Sorry.

To reply to your conversation. It is true that projects changes, especially with Kickstarter, but Shenmue was highly anticipated so it's really disheartening to see that it suddenly changed to Epic Game Store without warning. But we'll see if it will make up.

Although, I heard from some hours ago from the news, that the game would be avaliable in Steam some time after the release on Epic Game Store.

ethomaz

Banned
After some more research, I learned what you meant. Sorry.

To reply to your conversation. It is true that projects changes, especially with Kickstarter, but Shenmue was highly anticipated so it's really disheartening to see that it suddenly changed to Epic Game Store without warning. But we'll see if it will make up.

Although, I heard from some hours ago from the news, that the game would be avaliable in Steam some time after the release on Epic Game Store.
A year late I guess but actual backers will have to choose between Epic Store or PS4 version.
The game is still 5 months from launch and they communicated last week about the change.
There is backers like me from 2015... four years ago... even if they communicate three years ago the rage will happened.

How do you warning the game will be release using another Launcher client? You just go and says... and they did that 5 months before launch.

I believe the story is taking a bit more proportion that it should just because now everybody hates Epic Store for some weird reasons.

We have two big stores fronts now... some games will release only using Steam, other only using Epic Store, others in both and there will be these that will use neither of them.
People needs to get used to that... of they will hate every game release from now? lol

Last edited:
This will probably be my last Shenmue game. I was lucky enough to choose the PS4 version over the PC for my kickstarter copy. I settled with the PS4 version because I'm game sharing my account with someone who also wants to play Shenmue 3.

After this epic exclusive deal that they pulled, I'm done supporting them. They can get epic to fund all their future games and I'll be okay not being there.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ugh, that store again. Can't it just die? Shenmue had hopes and potential, that was ruined due to that. Steam users paid for that game, and now...
Isn't Epic the one responsible for the engine SIII is using?

Maybe the deal is a really good one. This is still capitalism.

ethomaz

Banned
This will probably be my last Shenmue game. I was lucky enough to choose the PS4 version over the PC for my kickstarter copy. I settled with the PS4 version because I'm game sharing my account with someone who also wants to play Shenmue 3.

After this epic exclusive deal that they pulled, I'm done supporting them. They can get epic to fund all their future games and I'll be okay not being there.
You can chante that option yet... you can changed until near the shipment.

I changed my address last week.

Last edited:

Petrae

Between this mess and the mess that has become the unnecessarily sprawling Final Fantasy VII Remake... thing... game scope is getting way the fuck out of hand.

This should’ve been the end of the story— and, if sales dictated such, a new story could rise afterward. Why invest money in a third game when the creator is basically admitting that resolution is still a ways off, and that resolution may never happen if it can’t be funded (again)?

My support for this project has been ebbing steadily with its constant delays— and this news is making me strongly reconsider buying in at all, only to be left in the lurch again. No thanks.

Top Bottom