• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys X -Nordics- announced

Go_Ly_Dow

Ys 8 was great. Shame the graphics are only marginally better, think it'd sell more with better texture work and character models.

Will get this though as the games are very fun

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Wish they would do one with this art style
Also wtf are they doing with hoverboards and modern clothing?

E1dWgofWQAEKbF5.jpg

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
yeah hahah those green rats are gonna be angr-

*no PC either*

JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
IIRC that’s because NISA are usually the ones that port them to PC (and previously would handle the Switch ports as well)

until it’s announced for localization we won’t know for sure, I believe Nihon Falcom only recently started handling the Switch ports themselves which is probably the only reason why it’s not been announced seemingly as a PlayStation exclusive

Thief1987

IIRC that’s because NISA are usually the ones that port them to PC (and previously would handle the Switch ports as well)

until it’s announced for localization we won’t know for sure, I believe Nihon Falcom only recently started handling the Switch ports themselves which is probably the only reason why it’s not been announced seemingly as a PlayStation exclusive
Yeah it's either Clouded Leopard for Asia release, or NISA for western release handling additional platforms.

I don’t know… I just don’t like modern Falcom.

I don’t really see what people see in Ys VIII. It is a comically bloated game, with way too many bloated features and systems, and the combat doesn’t feel particularly good. There’s really no impact to your attacks; it feels like you’re hitting something that’s slightly thicker than air.

I remember thinking the IX demo was decent but it seemed even lower budget than VIII so I never bothered with it.

I miss the era of Napishtim/Oath/Origins (and Seven, even though it was the template for VIII’s bloated ass).

lachesis

I could be wrong, but apparently this setting is right after Ys I and II, and before Felghana, or even before Celceta - so it should be interesting. Maybe return of those winged ancient folks... or perhaps something else entirely?

I suspect if Fina and Leah will make any sort of cameo - perhaps in voices or whatnot...
I mean, they've been losing popularity ground for so many years being dormant (literally) goddesses... and I hope they would make some brief cameo - at least like in Monstrum Nox.

I wonder what role Dogi is going to play, and since it's Nordic setting, or if there will be some sort of loose reference of real life norse mythology, or vikings etc.... excited!

vkbest

I dunno if that makes me feel happy or even more frustrated tbh. Love the games, but they look like PSP games. This one looks about Vita level. Character textures are fine but those environments look like shit.
Falcom is around 60-70 employees studio making around 2-3 games at same time, games over 50 hours duration,. They have Said already making good graphics would imply reducing much the content of their gameS. Putting all resources on one only game for 3 years is not option because they don’t sell games enough to it

Pejo

Falcom is around 60-70 employees studio making around 2-3 games at same time, games over 50 hours duration,. They have Said already making good graphics would imply reducing much the content of their gameS. Putting all resources on one only game for 3 years is not option because they don’t sell games enough to it
I get it, and I appreciate their focus on tight gameplay and killer OSTs, but damn my man, they could outsource those environmental textures for dirt cheap and get something better, or even move to a widely supported engine and just buy them from the marketplace. For such a small team, there's no reason to keep building new engines from scratch that aren't doing anything new or pushing any boundaries. At least in my opinion.

Look what Genshin Impact does with Unity for instance:

wp9660709.jpg

wp9999057.jpg

genshin-sumeru-3.jpg

Anyways, I'm still gonna buy the hell out of Ys X, so I guess it is what it is. They usually look better in motion than in screenshots, at least.

vkbest

I get it, and I appreciate their focus on tight gameplay and killer OSTs, but damn my man, they could outsource those environmental textures for dirt cheap and get something better, or even move to a widely supported engine and just buy them from the marketplace. For such a small team, there's no reason to keep building new engines from scratch that aren't doing anything new or pushing any boundaries. At least in my opinion.

Look what Genshin Impact does with Unity for instance:

wp9660709.jpg

wp9999057.jpg

genshin-sumeru-3.jpg

Anyways, I'm still gonna buy the hell out of Ys X, so I guess it is what it is. They usually look better in motion than in screenshots, at least.

Genshin impact currently is the most expensive game ever, $100 (over 300 now) million cost day 1 with china salaries, what are lower than Japanese salaries.

Last edited:

Pejo

Genshin impact currently is the most expensive game ever, $100 (over 300 now) million cost day 1 with china salaries, what are lower than Japanese salaries.
Sure, I'm just saying there's no reason to reinvent the wheel if those are the results. There are plenty of pre-made assets in Unity that they could use to offload a lot of the work and concentrate on the parts that they do well, while also making the game look better. And I don't love Unity either, just an example.

vkbest

Sure, I'm just saying there's no reason to reinvent the wheel if those are the results. There are plenty of pre-made assets in Unity that they could use to offload a lot of the work and concentrate on the parts that they do well, while also making the game look better. And I don't love Unity either, just an example.
A serious developer wouldn't use pre made assets unless you are a indie company.

Pejo

A serious developer wouldn't use pre made assets unless you are a indie company.
So are you saying Falcom is too small and doesn't have enough resources to properly make a good engine, or that they're too big and proud to use pre-made assets for uninteresting stuff like ground and rock textures? It seems like you're flipping back and forth on what they are.

Kimahri

Banned
Serious developers use stock sound effects all the time, hell that freaky sound as you fired up the first Gears of War was taken directly from a sound effects synth, so why not use premade assets to speed up the work flow on visuals as well?

EDMIX

You may have noticed that no one mentioned that. SQEX being a much larger company, and consistently putting significantly smaller games on Xbox over and over but skipping their main brand is different than Falcom skipping Xbox. But enjoy your strawman all by yourself I guess lol.

The lolz, though they are joking, someone did make that theory on here (who shall not be named twas banished to the shadow realm beyond) and many of us had to explain to them that some of those deals have nothing to do with Sony v MS or something, they actually have to simply do with how poorly they generally sell on XB.

So.....XB being skipped with some of these titles isn't that shocking, but many still have some theory like Sony and Nintendo teaming up or something weird like that lol

So it didn't matter if it was a "much larger company" as shit even Square themselves are moving on, didn't Octopath 2 skip XB? So I think big or small, companies still need to look out for their best interest and maybe we are getting answer to if those deals and past titles worked out for those publishers. It did for Sega as to why we see more Yakuza on XB, but clearly it didn't for other titles.

It happens.

As for this game, maybe its just too niche and they'd rather MS approach them to pay for the port. It can't hurt and for all we know that install base might take to it, but nonetheless, the ode is not upon the publisher to seek XB, at this point its for MS to seek the publisher and offer a deal to pay for that port or gamepass deal or something.

Ohh that naval combat gameplay looks interesting.

same, I'm surprised to see that as I didn't think this series did any of that stuff lol I haven't played this series in decades so I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

i'll buy used after it comes out lol

vkbest

Serious developers use stock sound effects all the time, hell that freaky sound as you fired up the first Gears of War was taken directly from a sound effects synth, so why not use premade assets to speed up the work flow on visuals as well?
We are talking about graphics assets, stop being dumb, you are not making a full RPG game with pre made assets

Kadve

Looks like something from the PS3 era. Granted haven't really played that much YS so might just be par for the course with the series.

Aenima

Looking good. Getting Ys8 vibes with bigger exploration. I already gave up about Falcom making games that fit the current gens visualy though.

lachesis

More I look at it, I see it looks much better than the 8 and 9. I mean by "much" being Falcom standard. ;) Must be the new engine they are using.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Looking good. Getting Ys8 vibes with bigger exploration. I already gave up about Falcom making games that fit the current gens visualy though.
Current gen? I think they just need to achieve the visual style of tales of vesperia with a few additional graphical enhancements.

PJX

LOL if you only knew how many serious developers use pre made assets. Not sure where people get this from. I'm not going to mention any names but majority of your favorite games use pre made assets. There is a reason why that market exist and it isn't just for indies.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Neat. I'd heard rumblings about this for a while, and it seemed about right after 3 straight years of Kiseki games. I'm just about done with Cold Steel 4 and so nearly caught up on Falcom's entire modern catalogue - Gurumin, Zwei 2, Nayuta, and Ys 9 are the only English-localized games of theirs in the past 20 years I haven't played.
With how much is on NISA's plate already, I'm not expecting this until at least 2024 in an official capacity so I'll have plenty of time to knock out the others. I'll probably take a break from Falcom games for a bit since I've been playing Cold Steel 3 and 4 for the past two-and-a-half months, but I'll probably get to most of those through next year (minus Gurumin probably? Haven't heard great things, and I played through all of Zwei 1!).

Looks like something from the PS3 era. Granted haven't really played that much YS so might just be par for the course with the series.

Falcom are usually behind the curve on pure graphical power, and they know it - that's not what they're shooting for. If you're playing one of their games, it's for the music and their particular brand of anime presentation. If you're playing Kiseki (Trails) specifically, it's for the overarching story and characters. If you're playing Ys, it's for the high adrenaline action. ... Ideally. I think their games have been on a light, downward trend for a while, but I hold out hopes for the spikes in peak quality content I occasionally see, and there's still stuff they do that nobody else does so it's not like I can go somewhere else to get my fix.

vkbest

LOL if you only knew how many serious developers use pre made assets. Not sure where people get this from. I'm not going to mention any names but majority of your favorite games use pre made assets. There is a reason why that market exist and it isn't just for indies.
Tell me a non indie game full of pre made assets, at least 30% or 40% of the game, nope 2 or 3% of total assets from the game like the original user I replied, suggested they could do migrating to Unity. Sure they uses pre made assets, libraries for third parties, etc, but no way a full non indie game made the most part with pre made assets from third parties to make the developing cheap and faster

PJX

Tell me a non indie game full of pre made assets, at least 30% or 40% of the game, nope 2 or 3% of total assets from the game like the original user I replied, suggested they could do migrating to Unity. Sure they uses pre made assets, libraries for third parties, etc, but no way a full non indie game made the most part with pre made assets from third parties to make the developing cheap and faster
Off the top of my head Oblivion series, Call of Duty and GTA uses pre made asset. Again like I said there is a reason asset marketplace exist. It's not just for indies and it's not just for games either. Big movie and TV production companies use them also. Also I never said the whole game was made with pre-made asset. Your original claim was that a serious developer won't use pre-made asset. You never mentioned how much of the game is made with it. Stop mioving the goal post.

Last edited:

vkbest

Off the top of my head Oblivion series, Call of Duty and GTA uses pre made asset. Again like I said there is a reason asset marketplace exist. It's not just for indies and it's not just for games either. Big movie and TV production companies use them also. But hey keep being ignorant.
Can you post a link where you can prove those games are using pre made assets from a third party? Making a recreation from a real place with pictures is not equivalent to use pre made assets

PJX

Can you post a link where you can prove those games are using pre made assets from a third party? Making a recreation from a real place with pictures is not equivalent to use pre made assets
WTF this is dumb. How am I going to post link they are being used? Anyway believe what you want to believe. I deal with this on a daily basis with my job. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because you want to play ignorance.

vkbest

WTF this is dumb. How am I going to post link they are being used? Anyway believe what you want to believe. I deal with this on a daily basis with my job. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you because you want to play ignorance.
If those games you explicitly tell me are using assets from a third party, and you know about it, should be some you can find easily right?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Memories of celceta was the last truly great Y’s game I’ve played. Played through lacrimosa but it was a downgrade in a few ways. It was also very buggy on pc at launch.

Top Bottom