• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtubers GamePass Shilling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on G4, however there are many "analysis" of this type floating around, including some from youtubers who made their brand as "gamers advocate"

There are no blatant lies... however, omitting facts is a form of manipulation.

What's wrong:
Mentions the day-and-date mantra for games that have not been delivered yet (maybe because the actual delivery has been poor, and will be until 2023 at least)
Asks how many times you want to replay Knack, yet the only exclusive xbox games showed are Forza 4 and Gears 5 (both dated)
Mentions how old games are on PSNow (true, but most games on GP are very old too)
Gloss over the fact that PSNow offers over twice as many games on its service at any given time, as if that was not a factor--This remains true with EA play counted in (which is fine if you don't mind paying for 5 versions of NFL/NBA)
Mentions the "rebates" for GamePass members when they buy games from the service, and skip the fact that you get the PSNow rebates when you become a PSNow member

I have seen videos with basically the same script run by other gaming youtubers, it's almost like some company was running a stealth digital media marketing campaign again.

Full disclaimer here: I am no fan of either service, but the constant shilling for GamePass is seriously annoying and more importantly if you are to compare both services in order to advise people in your audience make a purchase based on it you should give a fair shake to present both services in their best possible angle (not like the best angle for one and the worst for the other).

R6Rider

Gold Member
"Xbox is dumping serious firepower into Gamepass..."

*shows new Dark Alliance*

Vine Ok GIF

Rolla

Banned
Paying someone to promote your product while they pretend they didn't get paid to do so, is problematic. It erodes trust, particularly when the spotlight is shone on it. In the UK call it "Astroturfing" And have laws specifically designed to combat this practice as it goes against advertising regulations.

In the case of Microsoft, if the rumours are true, then that's astounding. They've got way too much money to be doing this.

MiguelItUp

It's also just a subjective opinion. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. Some people love the service, some don't. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsorships also happen on all ends, so, not really a shocker there. I wouldn't be surprised if G4 is a magnet to a lot of that, especially with them just returning and all.

Paying someone to promote your product while they pretend they didn't get paid to do so, is problematic. It erodes trust, particularly when the spotlight is shone on it. In the UK call it "Astroturfing" And have laws specifically designed to combat this practice as it goes against advertising regulations.

In the case of Microsoft, if the rumours are true, then that's astounding. They've got way too much money to be doing this.
You have any proof people are getting paid to promote Game pass? Simply showing their pay stubbs should suffice. Is it possible they like Game pass more than PS Now? Could that exist in your world?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Game Pass is excellent for me since all I care about is day one games. I had/have the following -

01. Gears Tactics
02. The Ascent
03. Halo Infinite
04. Forza Horizon 5
05. A Plague Tale Requiem
06. Avowed
07. Contraband
08. Fable
09. Hellblade II: Senua's Saga
10. Indiana Jones
11. Perfect Dark
12. Redfall
13. Stalker 2
14. Starfield
15. State of Decay 3
16. The Elder Scrolls VI
17. The Outer Worlds 2

Since each game will be a $10 monthly rental, im saving $820 overall thus far and we're only eight months into the generation and less than half of what Microsoft's first party studios are working on have been announced. Oh man. I'm going to be saving a shit ton of cash. Yay me!!!

This generation will be the best yet for me!!! So yeah, for me, Game Pass is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned
You have any proof people are getting paid to promote Game pass? Simply showing their pay stubbs should suffice. Is it possible they like Game pass more than PS Now? Could that exist in your world?
That's impossible.

Instead of them deciding one service is better than the other and reporting thier opinion, it has to be they are getting paid to do it.

God forbid people actually like it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, people talk about what they like, and those endorphines create bias. Why is someone on either side going to pick out and address all the pros and cons when they've already made up their mind? You linked a G4 video, this isn't Digital Foundry or SomeOrdinaryGamer or whatever where they actually have some background and impartial attitude that benefits the conversation. If you watch trendhoppers who interact with gaming like a symbiote where sales for one equals views for the other in a wheel of profit and expect a fair, rational take then that's sort of on you.

With that said, PSNow is pretty good, has terrible marketing and brand association is probably hurting it. If it were rebranded and remodeled as a serious contender to GamePass it would probably have stronger legs, but right now it's kind of like saying a keyboard beats a pencil. Yeah, they both do the same shit, but it's not really a super fair comparison. GamePass is a better and more contemporary service.

(I only own Sony shit, for what it's worth towards justifying or invalidating my opinion)

Rolla

Banned

No doubt you've seen the rumours where journalist and influencers were all copying the same GP text and promoting the service at the same time on social media. Also note my original post and in particular, the part where I state that

"If the rumours are true..."

We should be able to discuss the topic at hand without hostility.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
No doubt you've seen the rumours where journalist and influencers were all copying the same GP text and promoting the service at the same time on social media. Also not my original post and in particular the part where is state that

"If"
the rumours are true...

We should be able to discuss the topic at hand without hostility.
It was a joke because of all the people accusing them of shilling for game pass.

Obviously it went over your head.

bender

What time is it?
"Xbox is dumping serious firepower into Gamepass..."

*shows new Dark Alliance*

Vine Ok GIF

Game Pass is co-op misery. In the last few months, my buddy and have played:

-It Takes Two (David Cage meets The Shawshank Redemption) - Finished
-Outriders (A really neat loot system completely betrayed by just about everything else the game has to offer) - Finished
-Nazi Zombies 4 - Tapped out after a few hours.
-Dungeons and Dragons - Tapped out after two missions.

It's still a cool service but it reminds me of my Gamefly subscription way back when. I still bought everything I was interested in and rented the likes of Bujingai: The Forsaken City.

Stooky

Game Pass is excellent for me since all I care about is day one games. I had/have the following -

01. Gears Tactics
02. The Ascent
03. Halo Infinite
04. Forza Horizon 5
05. A Plague Tale Requiem
06. Avowed
07. Contraband
08. Fable
09. Hellblade II: Senua's Saga
10. Indiana Jones
11. Perfect Dark
12. Redfall
13. Stalker 2
14. Starfield
15. State of Decay 3
16. The Elder Scrolls VI
17. The Outer Worlds 2

Since each game will be a $10 monthly rental, im saving $980 overall thus far and we're only eight months into the generation and less than half of what Microsoft's first party studios are working on have been announced. Oh man. I'm going to be saving a shit ton of cash. Yay me!!!

This generation will be the best yet for me!!! So yeah, for me, Game Pass is excellent.
Your math only works if all those games are available at the same time.

Can you download PS Now games? Genuinely asking.

That is pretty much the make-or-break feature for any kind of subscription service for me.

oagboghi2

if you like gamepass more, than why do you have to lie about what PSNow offers?

There is no excuses for the issues OP pointed out.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
The market decides what is a good value and what isn't. So far the market thinks that GP is the better play. An endless supply of sour grapes isn't going to change that fact. 🤷‍♂️
If “the market” thinks that Gamepass is better, why are PS5’s outselling XSes? I think it is far too early to make definitive statements on this, especially considering the deep discounts most GP subs are probably based on.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This begs the question, has any thread referencing G4 in any way ever *not* devolved into conversations about G4 girls or Sessler doing a bunch of cocaine?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Your math only works if all those games are available at the same time.
Yeah, I typed the wrong amount. I edited my post. Saving $820 though is still a massive amount of money saved.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP no ones forcing you to watch content you don't like.

I suggest not leaving your safe zone bauble, and play it safe with "non biased" youtubers like this guy.

If only we knew his Gaf username so we could continue the non biased discussions in here and get some straight facts on the table.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
OP no ones forcing you to watch content you don't like.

I suggest not leaving your safe zone bauble, and play it safe with "non biased" youtubers like this guy.

If only we knew his Gaf username so we could continue the non biased discussions in here and get some straight facts on the table.

How did the youtube algorithm think you might like this I wonder?

Watching a decrepit Adam Sessler on YouTube still doing Games Journalism™ feels like a ruined childhood meme. Regardless many of the things you listed about PSNow I didn’t realize either but I feel like the responsibility for marketing that should be on Sony not Youtubers and so far it really seems like Sony hasn’t put forth their full weight into marketing PSNow.

Kdad

You can just ignore it, rather than dwell on it.

But what you can't ignore is a service that offers access to over 100 high-quality games, all the benefits of Xbox Live Gold, and an EA play membership for one low monthly price.

#xboxgamepass (sorry couldn't resist)
I'm confused by your post...where do I subscribe and can a smash I like button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom