• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTuber Spends Nearly $23K Buying Every 3DS & Wii U eShop Game

hemo memo

Gold Member
My post from the eshop thread:

Sorry Jirard, your explanation of “why” in the video is not enough. At first I thought you went to buy every Nintendo published game but buy ALL games in the Wii U/3DS is just not a good investment no matter how you look at it. Game preservation because publishers put the effort? Sorry but you are mostly buying cheap crap that is not worth preserving. It would have been a better idea to buy all Nintendo published games and/or all recommendations receives from fans/friends this way at least you can preserve games that are worth preserving rather than cheap efforts.

K' Dash

I should have expected all the aggressiveness in the replies, everyone complaining about spending the money didn’t watch a second of it.

He raised the money through sponsors, he didn’t spend his own money, that should give you an idea of how big this dude is.

Jirard is a pretty cool and chill dude.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I should have expected all the aggressiveness in the replies, everyone complaining about spending the money didn’t watch a second of it.

He raised the money through sponsors, he didn’t spend his own money, that should give you an idea of how big this dude is.

Jirard is a cool dude. Listen to him on Friends Per Seconds podcast. Dude is awesome. HOWEVER, I disagree with his “why” reasoning in the video. Why would I care to preserve a game the publisher pushed it to the eshop without much effort? It would’ve been more beneficial to have a list from friends/fans of all game recommendations worldwide that is available in one store and not the other like Japan and buy those. It will be cheaper and those actually worth preserving. How many games of what he bought that is just a cheap copy of other games?

I mean i’m not against preserving let say games with negative critics reviews like Deadly Premonition. But something like a bad copy of Flappybird shouldn’t be preserved.

Last edited:

Amory

He's getting a lot of publicity which undoubtedly was the real goal here.

Viral video bait aside, even as someone who has been scrambling to pick up a bunch of 3DS and Wii U games out of FOMO, this strikes me as....well....kind of stupid. There's a lot of trash on the eShop that really shouldn't require preservation.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Why do people care about how he got the money? Even if he spent his own, personal money, it's called investing in your channel lol.

Just bizarre.

Amory

Stupidest take I've ever read on these boards.

EVERYTHING requires historical preservation.
Do you worry about preservation of other obscure media in the same way? Do you care that random videos produced by YouTubers with 0 subscribers will be lost someday? I have an 18 month old that has recently gotten into scribbling on paper with markers. should I be archiving every one of his works for posterity?

To me there's not much difference between this and preserving eShop shovelware like "Candy Please!" or "Bubble Pop World", or even crazier, preserving every piece of DLC for fashion minigame collections no one bothered to play in the first place.

I'm not even against it per se, but I do think it's excessive and unnecessary. At some point you're a hoarder.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's fine until the SD card craps out and no way to re-download

....and I'm sure the history museum has all of the games physically (except for digital only games)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

He's getting a lot of publicity which undoubtedly was the real goal here.

This. I'm sure he figured in what the expected return would be from YT. LOL

It's not like it was some altruistic quest. As far as click bait YT goes this is hardly the worst.

Last edited:
Top Bottom