• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube will now hide dislike bar

Fbh

Still showing up for me.
I'll let you know the dislike number of any video for $5/each!!! /S

They will remove comments too. Just wait

Maybe not remove them but I wouldn't be surprised if they go for some curated and pre approved approach. So content creators and corporations can cherry pick positive comments to display

Last edited:

GloveSlap

This is utter bullshit, if they're so worried about YT uploaders being attacked, why are they the only ones able to see the like/dislike ratio?

We need a viable YT alternative/competitor.
To be fair, a huge amount of people and companies only care about their image these days. So in their minds its only real if other people can see it, no matter how phony.

nbcjr

Still showing here

Pfp3tDY.png

Umbasaborne

Banned
I bet this is because the fucking cry babies at nintendo and take two went and cried to google that the dislikes were a source of bad pr. Then offered them a big fat fucking check. This is how it starts, dont say anything bad about your new corporate overlords or else../

Why would they do that?
This is only part of the continuing censorship and gaslighting. Unless you walk as if walking on eggshells, it is only a matter of time till your content is demonetized and what follows demonetization is permaban with zero strikes. They either leave now or they'll be kicked out one day. Even youtubers with nearly a million subscribers have been kicked off the platform.

Remember the left once mocked gays and trans openly. Now that is hate speech. Whatever they joke about now won't necessarily be politically correct a few years down the line.

Originally youtube was a free speech platform, which allowed them to outcompete others, people will simply move to where they can freely speak and exchange ideas.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is only part of the continuing censorship and gaslighting. Unless you walk as if walking on eggshells, it is only a matter of time till your content is demonetized and what follows demonetization is permaban with zero strikes. They either leave now or they'll be kicked out one day. Even youtubers with nearly a million subscribers have been kicked off the platform.

Remember the left once mocked gays and trans openly. Now that is hate speech. Whatever they joke about now won't necessarily be politically correct a few years down the line.

Originally youtube was a free speech platform, which allowed them to outcompete others, people will simply move to where they can freely speak and exchange ideas.
Yeah I'm sure people will be leaving YouTube in droves because of this lol

dr_octagon

Banned
As they continue to kill giant youtuber after youtuber unless they toe the line of walking on eggshells, it only takes one or two with enough connections for a mass exodus.
That's the ideal scenario but it is difficult because the site is huge and income is tied to matching their principles with the platform.

GloveSlap

Anyone else unable to watch "mature" videos all of the sudden? It says i need to sign into my primary account or some nonsense. I've had the same account for 15 years and all my subs are on there.

Ionian

Anyone else unable to watch "mature" videos all of the sudden? It says i need to sign into my primary account or some nonsense. I've had the same account for 15 years and all my subs are on there.

Happened to me a good while ago, says "age restricted" and wants ID. I just close the video. Not worth the hassle of even using fake info for me, no video is worth spending time doing that.

Which "giant" YouTubers have they killed?
They've killed youtubers with nearly 1 million followers, don't want to go into details. But if you want to see one that's still there but almost on the cutting floor. Talk about Crowder, they've been borderline about to kick him for a while, wouldn't surprise if a few years from now he's gone.

The quartering also has over 1 million subscribers and recently complained of mass demonetization of new videos, even though he's been careful to walk on eggshells. As he says given he's a news channel instant mass demonetization of his videos is a big problem, as most views occur within first few hours. And after mass demonetization what usually follows is being kicked off.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They've killed youtubers with nearly 1 million followers, don't want to go into details. But if you want to see one that's still there but almost on the cutting floor. Talk about Crowder, they've been borderline about to kick him for a while, wouldn't surprise if a few years from now he's gone.

The quartering also has over 1 million subscribers and recently complained of mass demonetization of new videos, even though he's been careful to walk on eggshells. As he says given he's a news channel instant mass demonetization of his videos is a big problem, as most views occur within first few hours. And after mass demonetization what usually follows is being kicked off.
Don’t take the bait.
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Pejo

Thought this was kinda cool. One of the co-founders of YouTube edited the description on the first YouTube video ever uploaded.

Snipped from the description:

jawed

2.48M subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
Watching Matt Koval's announcement about the removal of dislikes, I thought something was off. The spoken words did not match the eyes. The video reminded me of an interview Admiral Jeremiah Denton gave in 1966. I have never seen a less enthusiastic, more reluctant announcement of something that is supposed to be great. Calling the removal of dislikes a good thing for creators cannot be done without conflict by someone holding the title of "YouTube's Creator Liaison". We know this because there exists not a single YouTube Creator who thinks removing dislikes is a good idea -- for YouTube or for Creators. Why would YouTube make this universally disliked change? There is a reason, but it's not a good one, and not one that will be publicly disclosed. Instead, there will be references to various studies. Studies that apparently contradict the common sense of every YouTuber. The ability to easily and quickly identify bad content is an essential feature of a user-generated content platform. Why? Because not all user-generated content is good. It can't be. In fact, most of it is not good. And that's OK. The idea was never that all content is good. The idea WAS, however, that among the flood of content, there are great creations waiting to be exposed. And for that to happen, the stuff that's not great has to fall by the side as quickly as possible. The process works, and there's a name for it: the wisdom of the crowds. The process breaks when the platform interferes with it. Then, the platform invariably declines. Does YouTube want to become a place where everything is mediocre? Because nothing can be great if nothing is bad. In business, there's only one thing more important than "Make it better". And that's "Don't fuck it up".

Ionian

I remember when comments would show a counter not only for likes but dislikes on them. The dislike option was then removed and for some reason came back but looks like you're clicking into a void, doesn't seem to do anything at all. Not even your own dislike on a comment is registered to yourself with a counter and this is going on for years.

There'll be a third party app to do it, there even are already. Considering the fact that I'd say the majority of users are luddites anyway and won't notice or use one means it's an easy win for YouTube. Dislikes are still active here, for now.

Kadve

They honestly should get rid of it completely. Do the reddit approach with you simply not upvoting/liking something if you don't
like it.

The system is abused way to much anyway.

Last edited:

ButchCat

This is all bullshit. This is just another monetization tactic by Youtube to bump up watch time and avg. percentage viewed to get more ad money. I'm the first one to admit (outside of news and debates) that if a video has too many dislikes that I will bounce straight away, but now by having the viewer not know the number of the dislikes you're less likely to bring any prejudice with you before you click play and therefore you're more likely to click play. Remember YoutTube makes revenue by watching videos so they want you 'watching' the second you visit them with very little interruption time. You're wasting their time costing them money looking for the right video to rinse out.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
This is all bullshit. This is just another monetization tactic by Youtube to bump up watch time and avg. percentage viewed to get more ad money. I'm the first one to admit (outside of news and debates) that if a video has too many dislikes that I will bounce straight away, but now by having the viewer not know the number of the dislikes you're less likely to bring any prejudice with you before you click play and therefore you're more likely to click play. Remember YoutTube makes revenue by watching videos so they want you 'watching' the second you visit them with very little interruption time. You're wasting their time costing them money looking for the right video to rinse out.
You can not give them any money by not watching any ads via an ad blocker or youtube vanced.
I think they're also there in opera gx browser

Doesn't work in brave or vanced anymore.

GloveSlap

Reminds me of when Netflix got rid of the rating system so you couldn't tell which of their exclusives were trash. Its probably both what you said and protecting corps from blow back.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I barely use YT anymore. It's terrible. If you're on a device, many of their videos have TWO 15 seconds ads now at the start. It just keeps getting worse and worse every year. It wasn't long ago where you'd get one 5 second ad. You can skip the other by swiping out and clicking on the video again, but it's still annoying. Want you to watch 30 fucking seconds of ads in this modern era to watch a 5 minute video. Get the fuck outta here. And this hiding dislikes thing is hurtful when you click on a help video for a video game. For example, where to find a certain item in an RPG. Before if you clicked on it and it had like 8 thumbs up, 30 thumbs down, you can guarantee the person did a terrible job at pointing out what and how to do it.

Well I came across this issue recently during a game. Had to click through a bunch of shit videos that I bet had tons of thumbs down, but couldn't see them. Fuck you, YT.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
They honestly should get rid of it completely. Do the reddit approach with you simply not upvoting/liking something if you don't
like it.

The system is abused way to much anyway.
Lol, people use the reddit thumbs down to show a disliking of it all the time.

It doesn't matter how much they say 'use it only if the content isn't relevant'. People don't act that way. And anyone trying to enforce it has bigger personal problems.

tld;dr: fuck off with your 'only good feelings allowedc world

Ionian

I barely use YT anymore. It's terrible. If you're on a device, many of their videos have TWO 15 seconds ads now at the start. It just keeps getting worse and worse every year. It wasn't long ago where you'd get one 5 second ad. You can skip the other by swiping out and clicking on the video again, but it's still annoying. Want you to watch 30 fucking seconds of ads in this modern era to watch a 5 minute video. Get the fuck outta here. And this hiding dislikes thing is hurtful when you click on a help video for a video game. For example, where to find a certain item in an RPG. Before if you clicked on it and it had like 8 thumbs up, 30 thumbs down, you can guarantee the person did a terrible job at pointing out what and how to do it.

Well I came across this issue recently during a game. Had to click through a bunch of shit videos that I bet had tons of thumbs down, but couldn't see them. Fuck you, YT.

Get an ad-blocker. Doesn't work always so gotta keep updating. If you don't like you video viewed for monetization. Don't post it. Job done.

These people crying about it. I thank the people explaining how it works.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Get an ad-blocker. Doesn't work always so gotta keep updating. If you don't like you video viewed for monetization. Don't post it. Job done.

These people crying about it. I thank the people explaining how it works.
I have an ad blocker. I said devices meaning mobile devices. On my PC Youtube is tolerable due to no ads. On my phone and Ipad, it's intolerable.

Top Bottom