• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube will now hide dislike bar

Tschumi

Basically a cowardly move to protect big corporations.
Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

Might be a move to neuter coordinated hate campaigns. Just a thought.

Maybe you've been thwarted in your latest hate campaign? Sucks to be you!

dcll

Banned
People are such babies. Years ago I was on a website with a forum and there was a + and - add on and people would get so upset over -'s

Mistake

At this point, I only go to youtube for JoshDub and crew or GrayStillPlays. The rest is whatev. There’s plenty of alternatives now, and they’re all improving a lot these days. Even Telegram can live stream to large groups or channels
When is a real competitor going to surface? Seriously? YouTube is awful compared to what it was just a few years back
Personally, I like Odysee/LBRY. While it isn’t super popular yet, the UI is nice and live streams work fine. I see more creators going to Rumble to monetize, but making an account there seemed a bit confusing

Last edited:

Billbofet

Terrible move. It's like when yahoo took away comments as it highlights how bullshit the content really is. Those comments were funny as hell too. If the content creator sees it anyway, who the fuck is being protected aside from Nintendo, Gillette, and Kamala Harris?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Enjoy finally living in a cyberpunk world. Corporations now finally control your opinions because lets be honest, this is not a change for youtubers, it's a change for big companies to hide how they can screw consumers and since most consumers are idiots, corporations have won.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think YouTube needs real competition. Rumble isn't going to do it. You need a huge player like Amazon or Microsoft who have the financial muscle to compete with YouTube.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think YouTube needs real competition. Rumble isn't going to do it. You need a huge player like Amazon or Microsoft who have the financial muscle to compete with YouTube.
You think Amazon and MS aren’t every bit as happy that downvotes are hidden? Helps their business model as much as any other consumer provider. Especially with their recent cringe videos.

IDKFA

You think Amazon and MS aren’t every bit as happy that downvotes are hidden? Helps their business model as much as any other consumer provider. Especially with their recent cringe videos.

Good point. I also doubt they would allow anything that is on the right of the political spectrum. Guess we're stuck with YT.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good point. I also doubt they would allow anything that is on the right of the political spectrum. Guess we're stuck with YT.
Most that I follow are also on Rumble, it just needs to grow it’s music content as well, then I’d be perfectly content.

Which reminds me, I need to APK an open source YT app for the TV. The ads are even more atrocious now with one popping up every few minutes.

IDKFA

Well the long rumored thing finally came to be. Dislike count will be hidden. You can dislike all you want, but only the creator will see them.

Basically a cowardly move to protect big corporations.

I loving the fact that this video has more dislikes than likes. Everyone should dislike this video to send a message to YT that the dislike count needs to stay.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
When is a real competitor going to surface? Seriously? YouTube is awful compared to what it was just a few years back

The resources and manpower needed to run such a site as yt are astronomical. And as Mixer proved, it is almost impossible to convert people from something they love, like twitch or youtube, to something new.

GymWolf

Unless rumble has close to the quantity of content that yt has, i don't know if it can be considered a valid alternative...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Unless rumble has close to the quantity of content that yt has, i don't know if it can be considered a valid alternative...
Nothing will unless people start migrating.
a lot of channels have started dual uploading to rumble already.

Shtef

Most that I follow are also on Rumble, it just needs to grow it’s music content as well, then I’d be perfectly content.

Which reminds me, I need to APK an open source YT app for the TV. The ads are even more atrocious now with one popping up every few minutes.

You can try this one: https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext

I have been using it for couple of months and it’s pretty good, it has build in ad blocker and sponsor block.

pathetic really. maybe i'm missing a bigger picture but apart from being able to tell if a video is shit or not what is the point in us seeing it? the video maker will still see likes/dislikes right? google should fix their recommendation algorithm and if a video sucks don't recommend it to people unless you subscribe to that person.

if they are gonna hide dislikes then hide likes too and just let people pick thumbs up or down. letting the internet vote on something and see a score/ratio is rarely a good idea.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No dissent allowed!
Finally big corpo gets some respite from the myriad little voices of the pesky proles so they can advertise their products in peace.

"We want to empower your voice"... yeah except when your voice is critical. A society without dissent is already a dead society.

Leo Strauss is rotating in his gave right now, taking critical distance is the first step to uphold natural right:

This is not about protecting users, nobody was ever harmed by a thumbs down. This is all about furthering YouTube's future as an advertising platform.

Also what f*cked up reasoning is this? From the video description:

We removed the ability to dislike and noticed a reduction in dislikes... yeah no sh*t.
No, it is more subtle… they are saying “Dislike attacks are real and a big problem, if we remove the incentive to massively dislike things and being able to make everyone see and talk about how disliked something is we remove the incentive to stage a dislike attack / orchestrated dislike campaign”.

What they are doing is essentially staging massive dislike counts are always or almost always fake / fabricated (but not like counts, no all likes are all real :rolleyes:) and the lovely side effect for them is that they make it impossible for people to voice their genuine dissent.

ntropy

removing something while screwing over innocent participants ... that sounds familiar 🤔

they're doing this because they got caught removing dislikes on numerous occasions, so they just said fuck it

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Take it a step further and remove all feedback a video is good if it’s good, talent, truth and hard work equals good videos. A dislike button nobody uses won’t be missed.

Nester99

Interesting conversation on a forum that does the exactly the same. Neogaf needs a dislike button.

I guess “Empathy” will continue to be our dislike button.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation on a forum that does the exactly the same. Neogaf needs a dislike button.

I guess “Empathy” will continue to be our dislike button.
I disagree completely.

This is one reason I don't really enjoy using Reddit. Try posting a truly unpopular opinion on there in one of the gaming subreddits. You'll get downvoted like crazy and most people won't try and actually have a conversation with you. To me it would just bring a negative energy to the forum.

I never realised some people use the Empathy reaction like that. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Top Bottom