• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube stops showing the number of negative scores.

Javthusiast

Banned
At this point just remove the system completely then and replace it with Gafs emoji one.

Still gives you your algorithm engagement while at most having too many triggered or laughing emojis. Enough cuddling for weak people that way while being fun for others, instead of seeing a like number that says nothing if you don't know how many dislikes the video has.

Durandle

Neo Member
It's simple really. YouTube makes money from views. People will view more content for longer if they can't tell that the video garbage before watching enough to be spammed an advert. Now the only way to know if something is bad is to watch it and discover its bad, by which point it's too late. The creator has their "view" and YouTube has likely shown you an advert.

Don’t see how this is for creator “well being” when creators can still see the number of dislikes on their end. Also, who cares?

Faithless83

Banned
I have no strong opinion on this either way.

Is this forum not similar? There's no "dislike" option. I'm not saying there should or shouldn't be, just pointing it out.
I believe it's different since there is a popularity measurement on the content.
Why would we need that for comments? I believe the "reeee emoji" is enough.

This is just to try to avoid "review bombing".

Last edited:

Fake

yuTSMFg.png

cireza

Banned
Useless. Shitty videos will have millions of views and not a single Like, which will be interpreted in exactly the same way as dislikes in the end.

They should remove the entirety of the functionality, otherwise it is pointless.

Last edited:
People will dislike something because of how they feel rather than anything actually being wrong or inaccurate, so it never really mattered anyway. They can get rid of the represented "like" counter as well for all I care.

People will dislike something because of how they feel rather than anything actually being wrong or inaccurate, so it never really mattered anyway. They can get rid of the represented "like" counter as well for all I care.
Isn't everything in part down to the feels? Refusing to engage with the arguments and to look at what seems to be YouTube's motivation (not breaking the shine off of PR/political efforts).

Ailike

I can't think of one time where I actually cared to look at likes/dislike unless it was someone pointing it out. But I think too many chomping at the bit to throw shade at snowflakes when i think the big business explanation makes far more sense. $>feels. So chill out with the being triggered by the perception people are triggered.

Isn't everything in part down to the feels? Refusing to engage with the arguments and to look at what seems to be YouTube's motivation (not breaking the shine off of PR/political efforts).
Indeed. It's the reason I've personally never given attention to likes and dislikes. YouTube and social media in general has been questionable for a while now, so you are definitely correct in wondering what their actual motives are.

rofif

Banned
snow flake culture fuck that.
If there is no way to dislike stuff... then what's the point of liking it ?

Last edited:
Uh, they haven't? I'm still finding tons of vids with the likes/dislikes enabled and numbers showing.

YT's always allowed people to disable the likes/dislikes themselves on a per-video basis, but this doesn't seem like YT enforcing it site-wide because, again, I've got tons of vids where the likes/dislikes are readily enabled and visible.

EDIT: Maybe they're only doing this in specific markets for now before expanding out to places like America?

Last edited:
People actually clicked thumbs up or down on a youtube video? Just because they beg for you to like/subscribe at the beginning of every video doesn't mean you need to.

StormCell

YouTube should not mess with the very fundamentals of what propelled it to success. Removing the dislike count, IMO, is akin to hiding negative reviews for an app or a product in the store. What's the point of filing that negative review if no one is ever going to see it? Furthermore, now I feel like I'm being lied to by the like count.

I feel like the point of these tools is similar to Reddit. Reddit never needed moderators. It's meant to be user-driven. If people really don't like a thing it will get buried. It never needed over-zealous mods to shape and form the kinds of conversations a sub-reddit wants to have.

Stuart360

They can cancel people, they can cancel any form of negativity, but the world will never be this 'Kum Ba Yah' world snowflakes want. Its just an illusion.
And thank god for that.

yamaci17

i also hate reddit for these. if you get downvoted, your post becomes invisible, you need to click on it to see... its almost as if that post is shunned... it will be placed in the bottom of the page...

a weird culture we're heading into...

Knightime_X

No matter how good your video is there is always a few shitheads who will dislike your video just because they can.
If they can't see it anymore it'll deter at least some of those people from doing it.

Also some just like to dislike just to see that number grow.

But on the flip side actual bullshit / bad videos deserve dislikes.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
1. Doesn't YouTube always have the hiding like/dislike for viewers function?
If you don't like deal with it just disable them altogether.

2. They said this new feature is based on feedback for creators well-being? But they can still see the exact dislike number in the background. How the fuck is this gonna help?

I’m seeing a lot of people on here blaming this on snowflake creators.

To be clear. YouTube cares about advertisers and corporations above anything else. Don’t believe for a second this was done to protect content creators. This was done to protect corporations from any apparent attack on a product they are advertising.

If you know even the most basic YouTube history you know that major decisions like this are always driven by the bottom line, catering to advertisers over content creators.

Last edited:

Pejo

i also hate reddit for these. if you get downvoted, your post becomes invisible, you need to click on it to see... its almost as if that post is shunned... it will be placed in the bottom of the page...

a weird culture we're heading into...
I'd love to see a psychology assessment of the upvote/downvote/hide system. It HAS to be enforcing groupthink and discouraging dissenting opinion.

mckmas8808

Banned
I’m seeing a lot of people on her blaming this on snowflake creators.

To be clear. YouTube cares about advertisers and corporations above anything else. Don’t believe for a second this was done to protect content creators. This was done to protect corporations from any apparent attack on a product they are advertising.

If you know even the most basic YouTube history you know that major decisions like this are always driven by the bottom line, catering to advertisers over content creators.

Truer words haven't been spoken! This person GETS it! But some of yall can keep blaming "snowflakes" all you want.

I'd love to see a psychology assessment of the upvote/downvote/hide system. It HAS to be enforcing groupthink and discouraging dissenting opinion.

Me too. But that assessment could also show that there's less assholes in conversations too, since that one troll's post can be downvoted into nothingness.

dcll

Banned
I am on a forum that used to have an add on where you could give a + or - and people would get so butthurt over getting a negative, I mean it was ridiculous how people get so bent out of shape over the silliest non-important shit

mckmas8808

Banned
IMO 'triggered' and 'LOL' can and are been used as some sort of 'dislike' button... at least here.

I use the LOL icon when I legit find something funny. It's distrubing to read that some use it as a "dislike" button. Geez, I'm honestly wondering if posters on GAF think I'm disliking their post now; when in reality I think their posts are funny. And for the triggered icon, I tend to use that less as a dislike button but more as a "dude are you serious right now" button.

If we had a true thumbs down button, I'd be using it ALOT more than I ever use the triggered button.

Fake

I use the LOL icon when I legit find something funny. It's distrubing to read that some use it as a "dislike" button. Geez, I'm honestly wondering if posters on GAF think I'm disliking their post now; when in reality I think their posts are funny. And for the triggered icon, I tend to use that less as a dislike button but more as a "dude are you serious right now" button.

If we had a true thumbs down button, I'd be using it ALOT more than I ever use the triggered button.

There are isolated cases, me and you are one example, I don't normally use the LOL button for dislike, rather to something funny, but into the console wars they're pretty much used as a dislike button.

Top Bottom