• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube ads are a waste

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Usually I just skip ads when I am actively using my phone. (or use ublock on pc).
When I take a shower or commute on my bike, I just play some podcast or digital foundry video or whatever on low quality and just listen to the audio (for the stuff that's not on google podcast app).
I've noticed that there is a high chance for multiple 15 seconds or 30 seconds ads when not supervising phone directly.

But what a waste it is !!!
You just hear a music, loud noises, futuristic sounds... and by the end of 15,30,120 seconds or however long the ad takes, I am not only annoyed that it interrupted my podcast but...
... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE ADVERTISING !
There is rarely a name drop, title drop, description or in fact any spoken words in these ads.
So now they wasted my time, annoyed me and all of that for nothing. I have no idea if that was a car, perfume, cable tv or whatever advertisement. Not a hint usually. Not even a brand. Just extremely loud music.
And when I am skipping the ads... it plays the same loud music and usually there is no indication WHAT I am skipping in the first 5 seconds.
Why advertisers do not put audible description and visual description of their ad in the first 5 seconds (or at all when it comes to audio) is beyond me. They are just wasting money.
At least say "Lays the best party chips" and then go on with the music. I will hate it as much but You will at least program me to buy the fucking chips !
IDIOTS !

summer bringtheflavour GIF by Lay's

Mistake

I only use youtube on pc to avoid ads, phone is for my troll account. I prefer Odysee on mobile since it works in the background or while locked for audio.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
NewPipe on Android
Piped on PC

Not only do you not see ads before videos load, it also skips over "sponsored segments", intros/outros, and that whole "okay so if you like my channel be sure to like and subscribe and hit that ding-a-ling-a-ding-dong bell" nonsense.

Impotaku

adblock, job done. Youtube went and fucked it up going overboard with ads going more & more invasive till some of them so were so bad that it made the video unwatchable as some fail to load so you video just sits there doing nothing while the ad is supposed to be loading. Once i discovered adblock i never went back to ad filled youtube & fuck paying for it lol that's a mugs game. It's not that high enough quality that i'd ever pay for the stuff that's on there it's cheap trash tv.

Nowadays a lot of tubers get sponsored anyway so it's not like they aren't getting money from it.

cormack12

Gold Member
They have four ads in the uk. Deliveroo, just eat, tiktok and audible.

They all fucking grate because i have to see them so many times when using the app. I will never engage with these companies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
YouTube Vanced, my friend. I got fed up with the insane amount of ads and the amount of time I save by not having to skip tons of ads will probably add up to an entire day eventually.
I've tried it. no history, no play from where I finished on my pc... It's to barren.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Go watch TNT without a DVR and get back to us. I'll take slightly annoying 10 second ad breaks that I can pay to get rid of over how things used to be.

Andyliini

Yeah, they suck. I use adblock on my PC and phone all the time. I even installed a 3rd party youtube app on my TV to get rid of ads. I'll never go back.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's hilarious to me. I see the same kinds of ads on streaming services like Tubi.

The advertisers have to try and sell someone something as complicated and important as flood insurance in ten seconds (because the ad service tracked this viewer to the Gulf Coast region). How do you conceptualize the urgency of flood insurance to a home owner in the Gulf Region in ten or fifteen seconds? With a quick video of an actor you know fondly from a early 2000's TV show cooking his daughter breakfast that in some weird way leads to a quick mention of flood insurance as the camera pans over her adorable dancing children (this was an actual ad I watched, just now).

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I try to block as many as possible, but I don't pay attention to commercials on TV or the internet. Except for that new Applebee's commercial they played on repeat during college football this weekend.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's hilarious to me. I see the same kinds of ads on streaming services like Tubi.

The advertisers have to try and sell someone something as complicated and important as flood insurance in ten seconds (because the ad service tracked this viewer to the Gulf Coast region). How do you conceptualize the urgency of flood insurance to a home owner in the Gulf Region in ten or fifteen seconds? With a quick video of an actor you know fondly from a early 2000's TV show cooking his daughter breakfast that in some weird way leads to a quick mention of flood insurance as the camera pans over her adorable dancing children (this was an actual ad I watched, just now).
You can't but at least say the name of company and product quickly... not only run some music

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I feel this, but with ads in general. I never know what they are advertising anymore. They are so distracted by trying to be quirky, fun, and attention grabbing. I could tell you which commercials I've seen lately, but not what product they were for.

The exception are those recent Easy Mac commercials with that song like are licensing, in an attempt to make Easy Mac appear heavenly. Makes me not want to eat Easy Mac.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel this, but with ads in general. I never know what they are advertising anymore. They are so distracted by trying to be quirky, fun, and attention grabbing. I could tell you which commercials I've seen lately, but not what product they were for.

The exception are those recent Easy Mac commercials with that song like are licensing, in an attempt to make Easy Mac appear heavenly. Makes me not want to eat Easy Mac.
yep. And that's when you are looking at the ad. When you are just listening to it, there is usually no indication what it is

Tschumi

I think they get money just for showing those few seconds before you can skip them

If you really wanna get rid of them add adblocker to your browser, or whatever equivalents there are outside of Chrome

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I pay for premium but am as annoyed now that more channels still advertise in the show itself.

I pay for premium to avoid ads and I see more ads now. Annoying.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I watch YouTube on my LGCX and it's annoying as fuck those 2 6sec adverts that constantly pop up along with the longer ones, I don't even watch the advert I just zero in on the countdown and click continue or if it's a longer one take the same amount of time to click and report it and return to video... Fuck adverts

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GIF A LINK PLIS!
Piped is typically something you run on your own server that acts as a Youtube proxy.

However, the developer has their own instance running here that you can use:

Great Hair

Banned
googling for an alternative, this one showed up. Works surprisingly well (limited to 1080p60 though).

Quasicat

All the budget of Manscaped ads is spent for me.
I see it all the time.

I'm about to order it to be honest...
I get those ads at work, but at home I get the ones that ask in big rainbow letters: Are You Gay? and the video ad about vaginal dryness with the slogan: Your Vagina is the Queen. For reference, I’m a straight married male in my mid 40s. I’m not sure how their algorithms work, but they’re not even close.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
lmao youtube's so fucked that no one here wants to use it without heavy modifications
uBlock Origin, SponsorBlock, Enhancer for YouTube on PC. YouTube Vanced on Android (integrates SponsorBlock now).

I think lots of Twitch streamers leave sponsored brand logos in their stream UI. Someday we're gonna see YouTubers doing that, with sponsored banners present for half the runtime of the video. Then we'll have extensions that crop the video player when banners pop up.

NinjaBoiX

YouTube Vanced, my friend. I got fed up with the insane amount of ads and the amount of time I save by not having to skip tons of ads will probably add up to an entire day eventually.
I tried YT Vanced but it seemed to have barely half the content. Like, most of the things I searched just didn’t give any results.

Used it for all of 5 mins before deleting it, waste of time.

NinjaBoiX

Try out www.yewtu.be

No ads. Can still listen with the screen off. No Google trackers. Can still subscribe to channels. There are a few quirks but overall it’s awesome and I rarely use actual YouTube these days.
Now we’re talking! I just tried this for all of 2 minutes and it’s already miles better than Vanced. Like, it actually has content and stuff!

Cheers for the shout mane.

Soltype

Between vanced and AdBlocker I haven't seen an ad in about 2 years. I'm glad there are ways around it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Usually I have to fuck something up on my phone, or use someone else's computer, in order to see 'ads' on Youtube.

Top Bottom