• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your views on the Final Fantasy games?

Three of your favorite FF titles in the series?

• Total voters

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy XV is, easily, the best Final Fantasy game of the PS4 generation.
For me.

pL8IzQH.jpg

Anyway, here's my personal top 5 (based only on my personal taste) of the best Final Fantasy game:

1: Final Fantasy XV
2: Final Fantasy VI
3: Final Fantasy IX
4: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
5: Final Fantasy VIII

I'm a longtime Final Fantasy fan, since the GameBoy era, and after having played all the Final Fantasy games released, I can easily say that Final Fantasy XV is the Final Fantasy game that has gives me more emotion, and the essential vibes, that only the PS1 era of Final Fantasy games originally gives me at the time.
(I'm really enjoyed my over 300 hours of gameplay made with FFXV)

I really loved the entire Final Fantasy franchise, and Final Fantasy XV will always have a special place in my heart.

Now, for answer at your question Cutty Flam, I will answer in a single way.
I think that, for what you are searching, this kind of question made to the fans are substantial pointless today, for a simple reason.

The golden era for the entire franchise is undoubtedly the PS1 era.
And that is probably the result of literally every single times that this kind of question was made by random users, probably, anywhere around the web.
So, asking the same thing asked by tons of milions other people's are useless, in this sense.

But, if you searching for what kind of Final Fantasy game you can experience, I would answer, every Final Fantasy can be a point for start. There's literally not an order, but just only your preference.

Did you prefer classic JRPG turn based, like Octopath Traveler?
Then all the Final Fantasy (from I to X) can be what you searching.
(with the only difference of ATB and graphics from pixels FFVI to 3D FFVII)

Or maybe you prefer something of little more dinamic, fast, or simply action.
In that case you should try FFXI, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV.
(the gameplay difference between these are that XI and XIV are MMO, FFXII is structured almost resembling an offline MMO, FFXIII is a super fasted and almost automatic ATB, and FFXV is a full real-time action JRPG)

And based on what you searching in the gameplay of the game, or what you prefer, you will find out what you like more.

P.S.: my favorite Villain of the franchise is definitely Ardyn Izunia.
I really loved that man :messenger_smiling_hearts:

BgBLRyx.jpg

And I also loved the entire Final Fantasy XV OST.
(made by Yoko Shimomura, and with the collaboration of Nobuo Uematsu [for the Comrades expansion] and the Chrono Trigger composer for Episode Ignis)

Just magnificent.

Last edited:
FFXV was released as an incompleted piece of trash. The story made no sense, everything happens for no reason. The starscourge appears from literally nowhere, for no reason Ifrit is allied with the bad guy, for no reason your bodyguard that swore not to abandon you abandons you to do his own sidequest (BUY MY DLC!), for no reason your dad's bodyguard swears to protect you and disappears from the story, for no reason one of Noctis's best friends gets blind for life and for no reason he never tells how the fuck that happened (BUY MY DLC!!), for no reason Noctis and Luna are in love (they met as 9 years old kids and didn't see eachother for 10 years), for no reason the group stops searching for the legendary weapons (getting the 12 of them was the main goal the 1st hours...and after getting 4 this quest is forgotten).

All the game is a "for no reason" and the sidequests are the worst kind of sidequests on the industry. Literally FedEX simulator. Man searching tomatoes so the vegetables seller could sell them back to me was the most retarded thing ever....till I had to search some weapons and give them to the weapons seller so he could sell them to me.
A FFXIV fan talking about terrible sidequests?

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

royox

A FFXIV fan talking about terrible sidequests?

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

As an MMO of course the game has a fuckton of Variety on Sidequests but most of them have quality on them, a sidestory to explain and expand the lore and a reward on items, exp and equipment. That said, during the Dark Knight job quest your Inner darkness is super angry at you for being the "Mailman of Eorzea" and tells you to stop doing pointless shit and saving cats from trees. After that most of Stormblood and Shadowbringers quest and sidequests are pure gold.

99% of FFXV sidequests are senseless and pointless FedEX trash. I find weapons so the weapon guy can sell me weapons, I find tomatoes so the tomatoes seller can sell me, I do pointless photos of landscapes and give them to the fat Lost guy, feed the fucking cat for no reason, give rare stones to that guy that's blackmailing me for no reason. In an MMO I could understand having trash quests, who cares anyway. But we reached the point where an MMO has much better sidequest content than a single player game.

DJTHEGREY

What are your favorite Final Fantasy games? What are the 3-5 games on your list?
VII, VIII, and X

-Which would you say had the best characters, side quests, story?

VII, X is a very close 2nd

-FF game with the best boss fights?

VII, each villain was interesting

-Are there any that were overrated or definitely not as good as you thought they should have or could have been?

XV such a horrible game, VII Remake could've been better too.

-Is there any one game in the series that you would consider to be the perfect example of what a Final Fantasy game is all about?
VII
-Underrated FF games in your opinion?
FF Tactics

-Is the first FF you ever played your favorite one?
Yes

-Who are your favorite protagonists and favorite villains?
Squall and Sephiroth

-Which one has the best items and exploration in its overworld?
VIII

-Which has the most impressive OST?
VIII

-Is FF the best RPG series in gaming as a whole?
Yes

Animagic

Banned
I enjoy some of them, but I don’t feel like playing through these anymore. Life’s much too interesting and busy to sit and spend 40+ hours in random battles and garbage stories

Ixion

Still contemplating which one to play first but a lot is pointing towards FF VII or FF IX, it could be either one. I think I also heard some good things about FF X/X-2. I know @Fushitsusha was talking about it to me one day, and a coworker of mine was playing it a lot the year it came out. Is that game the same as FF X except is has an additional DLC (X-2) that is basically like a second game?

FFX-2 is a full sequel to FFX, but it's much more light-hearted and is basically Final Fantasy: Charlie's Angels edition. It's just some silly fun instead of being a true, serious sequel that should absolutely be played after beating FFX. Basically, I would view it as a bonus experience, but it's good for what it is.

So when you see "FFX/FFX-2 Remaster", that is just the package of both games being remastered. They're sold together.

Myths

FFXIV is the FF most close to what a FF should be that we got since the PS2 generation. I don't speak about XI because never played but It even had ATB combat. The MMO's Story is 99% single player and you are only matched with other players for the big boss fights (Ifrit, Shiva, Alexander, Knights of the Round...you get the idea).

"HEARKEN TO ME, WARRIORS OF LIGHT!!"
hRVmkJg.png
Hmm I never knew about the story mode being a single player campaign. Are those big boss fights in reference to side missions/quests/hunts or are they a part of the single player campaign?

While I’ve never got into XI either, I do know the online titles throwback and reference older titles much more than offline single installments even. Will definitely agree there, no contest.

Xeaker

-What are your favorite Final Fantasy games? What are the 3-5 games on your list?
1) FF10
2) FF12
3) FF7
-Which would you say had the best characters, side quests, story?
Best Characters: FF7
Best Side Quest: FF12
Best Story: FF10
-FF game with the best boss fights?
FF14
-Are there any that were overrated or definitely not as good as you thought they should have or could have been?
No
-Is there any one game in the series that you would consider to be the perfect example of what a Final Fantasy game is all about?
Most FF's try out different things.
-Underrated FF games in your opinion?
FF12
-Is the first FF you ever played your favorite one?
No.
-Who are your favorite protagonists and favorite villains?
Protagonist: Cloud
Villain: Sephiroth

-Which one has the best items and exploration in its overworld?
FF12
-Which has the most impressive OST?
FF7
-Is FF the best RPG series in gaming as a whole?
There are other RPGs I like more than FF, but as a whole series I think it is the best.

Last edited:

royox

Hmm I never knew about the story mode being a single player campaign. Are those big boss fights in reference to side missions/quests/hunts or are they a part of the single player campaign?

While I’ve never got into XI either, I do know the online titles throwback and reference older titles much more than offline single installments even. Will definitely agree there, no contest.

Everything. You have big bosses in main story, side stories and hunts.

For example a main boss fight would be Ifrit cause you have to defeat him so the story advances, but alexander has its own side story that is not mandatory to progress on the main story and you fight him at the end of it. Ixion is a Fate boss (or hunt) that appears on one region of the map and all the players there can gather to kill him. Same with Odin, and it was amazing when odin killed +100 players with his zanketsuken move because they didn't kill him before his enrage time.

It's a game that has EVERYTHING a ff fan expects from a Ff game.

Kagey K

Banned
I just started replaying FF13 and holy shit. The B/C team at Xbox and Square with the 4K movies make this game look damn impressive.

You would never be able to tell it’s a 360 era game.

PooBone

I suppose it depends on my mood, but overall: (in no particular order)

1) Tactics (awesome story AND awesome gameplay, but a bit heavy going)

2) V (Some of the most enjoyable turn based battles I have ever experienced, shame about the story)

3) XIII (a thrummingly good return to form, but it takes a while for it to get really good.)

4) VII (Best story- until it was milked to death)

5) VI (1st half is mind blowing. 2nd half is comparability uneventful)

6) X (got to say, I actually thought playing as Tidus was an interesting idea. For once, the main protagonist mirrors your confused "bwuhh?!")

7) IV (Good overall, but the enemies are demanding enough to make you use all your mp and potions in one battle, and seeing as you level up fairly slowly, there's no grinding past the problem.)

8) XII (Yay for identical characters, a badly told plot, and the worst main character of the series? I mean, don't get me wrong, on paper FFXII has everything, but I just don't find it fun))

9) VIII (overcomplicated mechanics. Nuff said.)

10) I (Not terrible. Fun. Very fun. Just... You know, overshadowed, not to mention it has no plot whatsoever)

I will say that I LOVE ALL ENTRIES IN THE MAIN SERIES AND ANYTHING THAT CONTINUES A MAIN GAMES STORY!!!!!!!

46b44c381dd053886fcc63978500f517.jpg
I’ve only ever finished 3, 7 and 8, but my primary emotion between 8 and 15 is usually “why are these characters so goddamn annoying?” 16 looks like it could change that.

Dthomp

I've played them all since FFVII, still haven't taken the time to go back and play the classic ones, but for me it's:

FFVII
FFX
FFXI

EruditeHobo

FFXIV is the FF most close to what a FF should be that we got since the PS2 generation. I don't speak about XI because never played but It even had ATB combat. The MMO's Story is 99% single player and you are only matched with other players for the big boss fights (Ifrit, Shiva, Alexander, Knights of the Round...you get the idea).

Wow. No shit. I actually didn't know that... it kind of makes me want to play it.

D.Final

Banned
I think that Final Fantasy XV is just an awesome Final Fantasy game.
Beautiful to play and awesome to experience.
With one of the most epic universe of the entire franchise

Kumomeme

Final Fantasy V probably the most underrated out there

people always mention VI or even IV but rarely mention V which is actually also amazing game. not to mention the game miles ahead those two in gameplay department. its like modern rpg earlier blueprint

everyone voiced that VI is the one should get the modern remake treatment but personally, FFV is the one might benefit the most from modern hd open world game treatment.

why? the game design and structure is benefit alot from current trend of openworld design compared to IV or V or even VII.

1- the job system.

current open world rpg is already famous with that system. dragons dogma, skyrim for example and even mmo. this game did this way earlier. even FFXII Zodiac Age has this. people asking for similliar system in ff game for long time and i also wonder why square didnt make an rpg with that formula since due to the franchise history, FF is the one that most benefit from that due to sheer volume or job lore existed. this is also benefit alot their MMO games. it even has unique and original job not exist on other franchise like Dragoon, Gunbreaker and Red Mage for example. they also has these term of Black and White Mage. Not to mention other job like Blue Mage.

Finalfantasy5_jobs_mastered.png

2- the world design.

one of important aspect making good open world game is the landmark or point of interest. this is also formula game like zelda breath of the wild use. compared to VI and IV, or even VII this game has better, nicely structured location, visible and point of interest that would suit better as landmark for open world game. for example Karnak Meteorite, Crystal Shrine, Walse Tower, Pheonix Tower, North Mountain, Pyramid of Moore, Torna Canal, Castle of Exdeath , Ancient Library, Big Bridge, Tycoon Castle etc that also located nicely at each area that player will explore later.

3.jpg

By finishing Crystal Shrine, player would unlock job crystal. this could serve as important main point of interest for player like how shrine in botw or divine beast across world map that player could discover while roaming the map. by discovering Chocobo Forest scatter around the world, player can caught white chocobo to refresh hp. the tall Walse Tower in earlier game also would serve as good earlier main storyline quest landmark. each region has unique monster. the job system like Blue Mage also would benefit alot from this. there also hidden secret area landmark like the Pyramid of Moore with unique terrain that would unlock another dungeon. to enter the place player also need traverse through quicksand which is gonna be great area and challenge if they make this part in openworld game.

ff410.png

3-invisible wall

in game, invisible wall was added either to mask area where not in game or to block the player from entering it until they progressed further later. this related to those landmark also play important role in player progression across the world. for example earlier area of the game there is a Karnak Meteor which is visible on world map. player also could not pass the area due to the meteor block and need go otherway around. at that time player still cant travel by water. the first town also on seaside which is kind of port town, a hub to world. each town also located nicely in the map at each unique region. then later there is is Torna Canal that player need to get pass which when opened, will open new bigger area to explore. there is town only accesible through submarine. there is also only using black chocobo or airship etc.

8-2112z9e.png

4- traversal mode.

one of important aspect of good open world game is traversal option. from foot, to ride horse then later flying mount. for FFV it has tons of it that also usefull for each blockade. there is chocobo, black chocobo ship, airship, dragon, submarine for example. by ride ship you can go other side of town that is blocked. by unlocked flying mount you can bypass blockage like Meteor. there also area and secret that you can access only by going through waterfall.

5 - hidden secret

there is tons of hidden stuff, interest that cool to be explored at each location. for example there is piano hidden at each town and player need to find it through their journey to master at it.

Tule%20Piano.png

there also easter egg in recent FFXIV's Ishgard Firmament completion

then there is hidden passage that utilize job system. if you has thief, you can see 'hidden passage' that could lead to either treasure or even town. this is also example of job system affect toward exploration.

6 - the world map itself.

what great playing open world game is explore the world. player can return to previous area anytime to explore. but sometimes player get bored over same stuff. for FFV however, there basically 3 open world map. first is during first half of the game. later you found out there is another world and you go to Galuf World. this is another whole world. then later you found out your home world and Galuf's world is actually used to be one and last part of the game it will merged and all the map and point of interest, landmark location merged, align, located nicely which is added another more of fresh and bigger exploration to return. this also make those area not reachable become is possible, opened alot more interesting landmark, invisible wall and stuff to explore at.

51-715y8j.png

overall, basically FFV has more on his overworld map than IV or VI.

also, imagine if we get remake of these opening section, where the king ride the dragon from top of castle left the princess alone.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Wow. No shit. I actually didn't know that... it kind of makes me want to play it.
This isn't entirely true. You also need to play with other players for mandatory 4-man dungeons, but those are also story related, and relatively easy.

Once you hit 71 though you can play the most recent dungeon content with ai companions. This is something that they're looking into working into previous content at some point, but its been put on hold due to the pandemic screwing up development.

There's actually a free trial with some restrictions, that you can play for free until the end of the first expansion Heavensward (level 60).

Kumomeme

you can try it. the game currently has free trial unlimited time capped up to level 60. you can play up to first expansion Heavensward which is one of the best Final Fantasy. same lead of the expansion is the one currently handling FFXVI. the game indeed has mmo label but you will be suprise as it very heavy story driven game. you could mistaken it for single player game. i wondered same thing during my first playthrough. most of time you play solo except when doing dungeon where there auto match making system. then after that you continue doing quest, like how modern single player rpg out there. if you used to game like xenoblade chronicles or even dragon age, then you fine to go.

Last edited:
Which has the most impressive OST?

6, 7 and Tactics of course

the older games with synth soundtrack were just better than plain orchestra - Uematsu had such an inventive mind in mixing peruvian flute, rock, tango, electronica, strings orchestra and more influences and to find the right samples for the audio chips back then. And he is a very gifted melodic composer.

Tactics is not by him and went mostly for an epic orchestral score - though synth. I loved it too.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've never played Final Fantasy XV, though. Is it any good?
I'm particularly interested in FF XV as well, I'm considering playing it possibly 3rd or 4th among all the games but I'm still deciding on a rough order. I was looking at some pictures of the overworld and it looks massive. I'm wondering if the developers were able to put it all together and make a very cohesive game where combat, overworld, characters, and the story all hit? Music has always been the ultimate unifying aspect of a game for me; it's the ultimate glue that can piece everything together and turn an great moment into an unforgettable one. If the OST is amazing, that can really make moments stand out and enhance pretty much everything in a game imo. I have always felt that sound tells a story within the story when done right and that the best of games have always been those that had directors / producers behind the project who fully realized that fact. I sort of want to listen to the OST for FF XV to get a feel for everything but at the same time, I don't want to ruin the novelty before playing

Another thing I've noticed is that FF XV's story seems to have some fans divided. Have read that some dislike it, some think it's great but the story isn't "told well", and then there are even some who say it tells one of the very strongest stories in the series. It's tough to say where the story stands in my case since I can only rely on reviews, but I am intrigued because there are some saying it has an excellent story. I've read a small portion of the wiki for it and I guess FF XV shares some themes with some other FF games. All in all, FF XV seems like it's a fairly polarizing game...I can't tell if it's great or not lol

Ixion

I'm particularly interested in FF XV as well, I'm considering playing it possibly 3rd or 4th among all the games but I'm still deciding on a rough order. I was looking at some pictures of the overworld and it looks massive. I'm wondering if the developers were able to put it all together and make a very cohesive game where combat, overworld, characters, and the story all hit? Music has always been the ultimate unifying aspect of a game for me; it's the ultimate glue that can piece everything together and turn an great moment into an unforgettable one. If the OST is amazing, that can really make moments stand out and enhance pretty much everything in a game imo. I have always felt that sound tells a story within the story when done right and that the best of games have always been those that had directors / producers behind the project who fully realized that fact. I sort of want to listen to the OST for FF XV to get a feel for everything but at the same time, I don't want to ruin the novelty before playing

Another thing I've noticed is that FF XV's story seems to have some fans divided. Have read that some dislike it, some think it's great but the story isn't "told well", and then there are even some who say it tells one of the very strongest stories in the series. It's tough to say where the story stands in my case since I can only rely on reviews, but I am intrigued because there are some saying it has an excellent story. I've read a small portion of the wiki for it and I guess FF XV shares some themes with some other FF games. All in all, FF XV seems like it's a fairly polarizing game...I can't tell if it's great or not lol

It’s two things mainly:

1) The big event at the beginning of the game that sets up the story was cut and replaced with one pretty short cut-scene. This makes the whole first half of the game feel kind of odd to put it simply.

2) FF15 basically feels like two different games in one. The first 2/3 is all about roaming the open world, cruising around, doing a lot of little quests. Kind of laid back. The last 1/3 is more linear, cinematic, and bombastic. I see a lot of people say that last third feels rushed, but I enjoyed that more than the first 2/3, which I found kind of repetitive and drawn out. On the flip side, I found that last 1/3 much more gripping and it felt more like Final Fantasy to me.

These are all symptoms of the fact that FFXV changed its leadership team halfway through and was retooled. All in all though, I’d say it’s definitely worth playing as I think overall it’s a pretty good game and kind of unique within the series. But yeah, I’d go with some of the others first.

D.Final

Banned
Yes

Final Fantasy XV is one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played.

If you are searching for a cool action jrpg, Final Fantasy XV is really great.
You should really play this great game.

Last edited:

royox

And @ Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

No.It's an uncompleted game that was released in pre-alpha state and just got a little better almost 4 years after with a bunch of DLC and a royal edition patch. You won't even know the villain's motivations if you don't buy the last DLC (not included in the Royal edition, lol).

If you dont' believe me because there's some specific FFXV shill on this forum I invite you to read some of this official info about the game like this interview with Tabata, the director of the game, talking about how empty and shit the world of FFXV is:

Tabata: Making FFXV an open world is an easy way to understand modernization. We also aimed to once again return to that front line with FFXV. If we didn't make such a change, it wouldn't be very convincing if we said, we are competing with Skyrim.

This is why the game will progress alongside the story but we used open world technology to interpret the world. That is one principle I wouldn't bend on.

Tabata:
Right as we merged together with Luminous Studio a few months after announcing FFXV at the 2013 E3. At that point in time, the engineers wouldn't listen and insisted. With Square Enix's current know-how, an open world is impossible. That trend was especially strong with our foreign engineers.

4Gamer:
Even so, "even if we fail, its okay". That's quite the resignation.

Tabata:
If I hadn't said that the team couldn't have confidence and come together. By saying that, we were able to dynamically manage a seamless world, prepare an environment and the team could relax with the thought. "Even if it sucks Tabata is responsible". However, in the end everyone said they didn't like how empty the field was.

Nozue:
They are really doing their best aren't they. (laughs)

Tabata:
I told them, "I told you it's okay if it's empty".

So even Tabata knew the word was a boring shit.

But OH my friend, the empty world is not the big problem of the game, oh no. It's the story that is NEVER explained ingame. You want to play FFVI? You play FFVI, you want to play FFIX? You play FFIX. You want to play FFXV?? Oh boy you are in for a ride as you need to:
  • watch bunch of trailers
  • an anime
  • a prologue movie that was 50% of the game's plot.
  • a short story
  • then some part of the game
  • a dlc
  • back to the game up until a point
  • a dlc but up to some point
  • then back to the main game up to another apoint
  • dlc but not the one you left unfinished before
  • back to the main game until completion
  • then you finish that dlc you started
  • Also, this DLC has two endings, you might want to check the second one but it goes anywhere really
  • watch another anime
  • play the final dlc on one ending
  • play the final dlc again with the alternate ending
  • then read the book
Or said by the own FFXV team:
g8eJ61h.jpg

Althought some guy on this forum will say that "FFXV is a multimedia universe not a game". Even though 90% of the story is NEVER explained ingame and all you do is walk forward without knowing what or why till the game ends.

Even the FFXV team admits main parts of the game were cut out:
The Japanese voice actor for Noctis recently said the first half of the original story was cut from the game and modified into Kingslaive. (the movie)

In retardERA you have a whole threat of people talking about how much content was cut from this piece of trash.

Full contintents, full playable characters, full dungeons...everything cut out. The result? A mess of a game, withouth a pacing, withouth a story that makes sense, withouth characters that make sense, a horrible combat system, a horrible "open world" that has invisible walls in the middle of the air that can crash your flying car, 90% of the game is FedEX tier simulator where YOU, THE PRINCE OF A COUNTRY are the slave of any idiot walking aroud.

Just do yourself a favour and don't waste your time with this piece of shit of a game, it's useless unless you have the time to watch the movie (mandatory before the game as its 50% of the story), the dlc's, the online DLC (yes, it has important story parts, fuck you), the other DLC, the anime, the trailers (yes, they also have pieces of info that never are explained ingame). Just play any other thing and forget FFXV exists. I would say that you could just play if for the gameplay...but the gameplay (as shinny as it LOOKS) is just "hold X" and Noctis will autoattack and do all the flashy stuff that some guy will show you in gifs that will be posted. So not even for the boring gameplay is worth it. Ah, some times you also can parry attacks, after a giant button in the middle of the screen that tells you, as a QTE, the button you have to press. 10/10 gameplay mechanics.

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam
I was looking at some pictures of the overworld and it looks massive. I'm wondering if the developers were able to put it all together and make a very cohesive game where combat, overworld, characters, and the story all hit?

No they couldn't. The overworld looks massive but it's just 1 desert void of life filled by gas stations that are copy pasted. There's only 1 (ONE) city that you can visit and walk around. The other city that you probably have seen is altissia and the concept is great but you cannot roam freely there. It's a bunch of loading screens or auto travels, 2 little streets and that's it.

video_35375.jpg

The characters are just the well known Anime cast. The MC that is Sasuke's clone, the tought big bro, the funny guy that is not funny and the smart one that wears glasses and it's always serious. They are a nice group together and the interactions between them are great but that's literally the only good thing this game will give you.

Regarding combat, as I said, combat is just holding the attack button and Noctis will autoattack, You can equip 4 weapons and change in combat. The magic system is like having a grenade button. You absorb magic from specific places on the desert overworld, then build grenades. Fire grenades, electric or ice. That's it.

Summons? There are summons. At release you had only 3 summons and you CAN NOT CHOOSE WHEN TO SUMMON THEM. It's purelly random. During ANY COMBAT you can get a "press X to summon" for any reason, and the summon that comes will depend on where you are (near water? leviathan. in the middle of the nothingless? Titan. In another middle of another nothingless? Ramuh). Looks as retarded as I am explaining.

The OST is top tier tho. 10/10.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
0Gf177t.png

Similar to Resident Evil, progressively shittier with every installment post <insert here FF number>. More yurop-medieval times themed games and less high elf-fantasy-anime garbage? without the emo dudes walking in latex ...

FF16 is the first FF in years to interest me.

FF8 is my favorite, people seem to either love or hate it though. I thought it was a perfect follow up to 7, they could have just copy/pasted 7 after the success it had. Instead they made a game that is completely ridiculous and I loved it.

royox

BOTW was empty too and not only it's ok, it's also GOTY

go figure nbois and their hate for Skyrim or this game

Botw presents a post war world where the world out of the towns are filled by monsters controlled by Ganon and wild animals. Still that Hyrule feels alive, with towns, 100% free roaming and phisics that can be manipulated at will. In FFXV you cannot jump a 1m tall fence if you are not using a chocobo, all the wild life pops up from nowhere as random battles and your interaction with the environment is absolute 0. Not a good example.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man, it’s super depressing to think we only got one single-player mainline Final Fantasy game for each of the past 2 console generations. And both of them were disappointing in many ways.

I miss the old days where we got a new mainline FF game every 1-2 years, interspersed with a shitload of other top quality Squaresoft games. Then it wasn’t such a big deal if you didn’t like this or that one. It’s not like an entire generation of hopes and dreams were crushed.

Cutty Flam

Banned
And @ Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

No.It's an uncompleted game that was released in pre-alpha state and just got a little better almost 4 years after with a bunch of DLC and a royal edition patch. You won't even know the villain's motivations if you don't buy the last DLC (not included in the Royal edition, lol).

If you dont' believe me because there's some specific FFXV shill on this forum I invite you to read some of this official info about the game like this interview with Tabata, the director of the game, talking about how empty and shit the world of FFXV is:

So even Tabata knew the word was a boring shit.

But OH my friend, the empty world is not the big problem of the game, oh no. It's the story that is NEVER explained ingame. You want to play FFVI? You play FFVI, you want to play FFIX? You play FFIX. You want to play FFXV?? Oh boy you are in for a ride as you need to:
  • watch bunch of trailers
  • an anime
  • a prologue movie that was 50% of the game's plot.
  • a short story
  • then some part of the game
  • a dlc
  • back to the game up until a point
  • a dlc but up to some point
  • then back to the main game up to another apoint
  • dlc but not the one you left unfinished before
  • back to the main game until completion
  • then you finish that dlc you started
  • Also, this DLC has two endings, you might want to check the second one but it goes anywhere really
  • watch another anime
  • play the final dlc on one ending
  • play the final dlc again with the alternate ending
  • then read the book
Or said by the own FFXV team:
g8eJ61h.jpg

Althought some guy on this forum will say that "FFXV is a multimedia universe not a game". Even though 90% of the story is NEVER explained ingame and all you do is walk forward without knowing what or why till the game ends.

Even the FFXV team admits main parts of the game were cut out:

In retardERA you have a whole threat of people talking about how much content was cut from this piece of trash.

Full contintents, full playable characters, full dungeons...everything cut out. The result? A mess of a game, withouth a pacing, withouth a story that makes sense, withouth characters that make sense, a horrible combat system, a horrible "open world" that has invisible walls in the middle of the air that can crash your flying car, 90% of the game is FedEX tier simulator where YOU, THE PRINCE OF A COUNTRY are the slave of any idiot walking aroud.

Just do yourself a favour and don't waste your time with this piece of shit of a game, it's useless unless you have the time to watch the movie (mandatory before the game as its 50% of the story), the dlc's, the online DLC (yes, it has important story parts, fuck you), the other DLC, the anime, the trailers (yes, they also have pieces of info that never are explained ingame). Just play any other thing and forget FFXV exists. I would say that you could just play if for the gameplay...but the gameplay (as shinny as it LOOKS) is just "hold X" and Noctis will autoattack and do all the flashy stuff that some guy will show you in gifs that will be posted. So not even for the boring gameplay is worth it. Ah, some times you also can parry attacks, after a giant button in the middle of the screen that tells you, as a QTE, the button you have to press. 10/10 gameplay mechanics.

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam

No they couldn't. The overworld looks massive but it's just 1 desert void of life filled by gas stations that are copy pasted. There's only 1 (ONE) city that you can visit and walk around. The other city that you probably have seen is altissia and the concept is great but you cannot roam freely there. It's a bunch of loading screens or auto travels, 2 little streets and that's it.

video_35375.jpg

The characters are just the well known Anime cast. The MC that is Sasuke's clone, the tought big bro, the funny guy that is not funny and the smart one that wears glasses and it's always serious. They are a nice group together and the interactions between them are great but that's literally the only good thing this game will give you.

Regarding combat, as I said, combat is just holding the attack button and Noctis will autoattack, You can equip 4 weapons and change in combat. The magic system is like having a grenade button. You absorb magic from specific places on the desert overworld, then build grenades. Fire grenades, electric or ice. That's it.

Summons? There are summons. At release you had only 3 summons and you CAN NOT CHOOSE WHEN TO SUMMON THEM. It's purelly random. During ANY COMBAT you can get a "press X to summon" for any reason, and the summon that comes will depend on where you are (near water? leviathan. in the middle of the nothingless? Titan. In another middle of another nothingless? Ramuh). Looks as retarded as I am explaining.

The OST is top tier tho. 10/10.

Strong post, thanks royox royox . Looks like there are some prerequisites to take on before playing FF XV so I might wait to play this game. Maybe play it fifth after giving the anime a go, watching the movie and just keeping tabs on it a while longer. The characters, their story, and their adventure are intriguing to me; the overworld being a bit barren or even the gameplay being a bit plain isn't a deal breaker for me. Still intend to play FF XV, but now I'm a lot better prepared thanks to all the details above that you've provided. It could be a tough decision though, choosing between FF XIV and FF XV when the time comes to pick the very first modern FF I'll play through

The environments look top notch

10tuvwgfots11.jpg

ffxv_noctis_luna_altissia_artwork_2.jpg

streamline-2.jpg

D.Final

Banned
Strong post, thanks royox royox . Looks like there are some prerequisites to take on before playing FF XV so I might wait to play this game. Maybe play it fifth after giving the anime a go, watching the movie and just keeping tabs on it a while longer. The characters, their story, and their adventure are intriguing to me; the overworld being a bit barren or even the gameplay being a bit plain isn't a deal breaker for me. Still intend to play FF XV, but now I'm a lot better prepared thanks to all the details above that you've provided. It could be a tough decision though, choosing between FF XIV and FF XV when the time comes to pick the very first modern FF I'll play through

10tuvwgfots11.jpg

streamline-2.jpg

I suggest you to play it as you are previously choose, and so as third.
(don't let the opinions of who hate the game change your mind about it)

Final Fantasy XV It's a really majestic Final Fantasy game.
With a great openworld to explore, and with some of the best dungeons ever made in the entire series.

And there's multiple reasons of which why I consider it my favorite.
Like the dinamic and fun gameplay.
(you can control all the characters, after that you have unlock the character switch in the Ascension Grid of FFXV)

P.S.:

And I also suggest you play all the offline single player games of the saga first, and leave the MMOJRPGs for last for one simple reason.
They are the longest, and slowest, to complete.
(they take a long time to complete, enough monthly money, and an exhausting slowness to play)

Last edited:
I feel like Final Fantasy peaked long ago. It's overly ambitious and bloated these days. It takes too long for a new mainline title to come out and when it does it disappoints which doesn't leave me with much hope for 16. I imagine that will come out towards the end of this gen and split fans again. I think it all started with FFXIII, the graphics were way too impressive at the time. I concluded that it came at the expense of everything else.

My love for the franchise these days is based solely on nostalgia like playing as Sephiroth in Smash Bros or listening to soundtracks on YouTube.

royox

10tuvwgfots11.jpg

streamline-2.jpg

The only good things about XV are the looks and the music. But you have been warned ;). Maybe now you will play it and even like it more because you are not expecting playing a complete game as we thought it was at release lol. Imagine waiting 10 years for a game and when you play it nothing makes sense and you learn you only had 25% of the whole thing.

About FFXIV, the score on metacritic of the last expansion is the highes score a FF game had since PS2 and its already considered one of the best FF of the franchise. Base game and 1st expansion are 100% free. I would recommend playing more classic FF before XIV as it has a LOT of references or other FF for the fans.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I feel like Final Fantasy peaked long ago. It's overly ambitious and bloated these days. It takes too long for a new mainline title to come out and when it does it disappoints which doesn't leave me with much hope for 16. I imagine that will come out towards the end of this gen and split fans again. I think it all started with FFXIII, the graphics were way too impressive at the time. I concluded that it came at the expense of everything else.

My love for the franchise these days is based solely on nostalgia like playing as Sephiroth in Smash Bros or listening to soundtracks on YouTube.
I'm actually enjoying each Final Fantasy game

And I personally consider Final Fantasy XV the best Final Fantasy.
(for me)

Myths

people always mention VI or even IV but rarely mention V which is actually also amazing game. not to mention the game miles ahead those two in gameplay department. its like modern rpg earlier blueprint

everyone voiced that VI is the one should get the modern remake treatment but personally, FFV is the one might benefit the most from modern hd open world game treatment.

why? the game design and structure is benefit alot from current trend of openworld design compared to IV or V or even VII.

1- the job system.

current open world rpg is already famous with that system. dragons dogma, skyrim for example and even mmo. this game did this way earlier. even FFXII Zodiac Age has this. people asking for similliar system in ff game for long time and i also wonder why square didnt make an rpg with that formula since due to the franchise history, FF is the one that most benefit from that due to sheer volume or job lore existed. this is also benefit alot their MMO games. it even has unique and original job not exist on other franchise like Dragoon, Gunbreaker and Red Mage for example. they also has these term of Black and White Mage. Not to mention other job like Blue Mage.

2- the world design.

one of important aspect making good open world game is the landmark or point of interest. this is also formula game like zelda breath of the wild use. compared to VI and IV, or even VII this game has better, nicely structured location, visible and point of interest that would suit better as landmark for open world game. for example Karnak Meteorite, Crystal Shrine, Walse Tower, Pheonix Tower, North Mountain, Pyramid of Moore, Torna Canal, Castle of Exdeath , Ancient Library, Big Bridge, Tycoon Castle etc that also located nicely at each area that player will explore later.

3.jpg

By finishing Crystal Shrine, player would unlock job crystal. this could serve as important main point of interest for player like how shrine in botw or divine beast across world map that player could discover while roaming the map. by discovering Chocobo Forest scatter around the world, player can caught white chocobo to refresh hp. the tall Walse Tower in earlier game also would serve as good earlier main storyline quest landmark. each region has unique monster. the job system like Blue Mage also would benefit alot from this. there also hidden secret area landmark like the Pyramid of Moore with unique terrain that would unlock another dungeon. to enter the place player also need traverse through quicksand which is gonna be great area and challenge if they make this part in openworld game.

ff410.png

3-invisible wall

in game, invisible wall was added either to mask area where not in game or to block the player from entering it until they progressed further later. this related to those landmark also play important role in player progression across the world. for example earlier area of the game there is a Karnak Meteor which is visible on world map. player also could not pass the area due to the meteor block and need go otherway around. at that time player still cant travel by water. the first town also on seaside which is kind of port town, a hub to world. each town also located nicely in the map at each unique region. then later there is is Torna Canal that player need to get pass which when opened, will open new bigger area to explore. there is town only accesible through submarine. there is also only using black chocobo or airship etc.

8-2112z9e.png

4- traversal mode.

one of important aspect of good open world game is traversal option. from foot, to ride horse then later flying mount. for FFV it has tons of it that also usefull for each blockade. there is chocobo, black chocobo ship, airship, dragon, submarine for example. by ride ship you can go other side of town that is blocked. by unlocked flying mount you can bypass blockage like Meteor. there also area and secret that you can access only by going through waterfall.

5 - hidden secret

there is tons of hidden stuff, interest that cool to be explored at each location. for example there is piano hidden at each town and player need to find it through their journey to master at it.

Tule%20Piano.png

then there is hidden passage that utilize job system. if you has thief, you can see 'hidden passage' that could lead to either treasure or even town. this is also example of job system affect toward exploration.

what great playing open world game is explore the world. player can return to previous area anytime to explore. but sometimes player get bored over same stuff. for FFV however, there basically 3 open world map. first is during first half of the game. later you found out there is another world and you go to Galuf World. this is another whole world. then later you found out your home world and Galuf's world is actually used to be one and last part of the game it will merged and all the map and point of interest, landmark location merged, align, located nicely which is added another more of fresh and bigger exploration to return. this also make those area not reachable become is possible, opened alot more interesting landmark, invisible wall and stuff to explore at.

51-715y8j.png

also, imagine if we get remake of these opening section, where the king ride the dragon from top of castle left the princess alone.

Thank you. You did a good deed, my guy. I didn’t have the time compose but this was about as elaborate as I would’ve gotten for explaining V.

You only missed the music. It has songs that would later inspire FFVII’s Ahead on Our Way, its Boss Battle theme, its underwater theme, FFIX Kuja’s theme, and FFXII’s main theme.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Thank you. You did a good deed, my guy. I didn’t have the time compose but this was about as elaborate as I would’ve gotten for explaining V.

You only missed the music. It has songs that would later inspire FFVII’s Ahead on Our Way, its Boss Battle theme, its underwater theme, FFIX Kuja’s theme, and FFXII’s main theme.
too bad i cant find proper example image.

talk about music, i love the main theme music. even from the main title screen, the game scream sandbox rpg journey.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
My favorite is still FF6 hands down.

I really liked FFV aside from the random summons and the release game's pacing being out of whack for me.

Maybe all the added dlc's fixed some of that but I'm probably not gunna go back and play it since I've spent nearly 75hrs when I finished it.

Also, I'm probably one of the few who liked FF8 a lot. Nostalgia talking but still.

royox

1- the job system.

2- the world design.

3.jpg

ff410.png

3-invisible wall

8-2112z9e.png

4- traversal mode.

5 - hidden secret

Tule%20Piano.png

51-715y8j.png

Damn, I have to play FFV. Best platform to do? Being able to fast combat or skip combats would be a great selling point for me.

D.Final

Banned

Even the Final Fantasy XV OST is awesome

subsmoke

I just played my first ever Final Fantasy game last year with FFX. I had kinda been wanting to get into the series one day but I was always playing something else at the time and I didn't know where to start since there were so many different choices. To be honest, I was underwhelmed by FFX. I enjoyed it and all, but with how people talk about the series like it's one of the best of all time I was expecting a mind blowingly awesome game and it turned out to be just good.

The remake of FF7 on the other hand really was awesome. It makes me want to see X remade as an action RPG.

Kumomeme

Damn, I have to play FFV. Best platform to do? Being able to fast combat or skip combats would be a great selling point for me.
personally i prefer snes version. you can try use emulator
not fan of the remaster version like gba for example where the sound totally sound different. not sure about speed up option but not fans of 'hd sprite' used on mobile or pc platform.

you can look the differences between version here

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Final Fantasy V has easily one of the best Job System of the series.
(even better than FF XIV)

But even the job system of FFX-2 and Lighting Returns are pretty good

Last edited:
Top Bottom