• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your views on the Final Fantasy games?

Three of your favorite FF titles in the series?

• Total voters

D.Final

Banned
Anyway, Final Fantasy XV is definitely the best Final Fantasy ever made, for me.
(after that I've finish them all)

Final Fantasy XV is a game with such a big, beautiful and simply unique universe.
He was able to excite me from the first moment I discovered his story.
And all the media that make up this gaming universe (Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV, Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV, ecc...) is rich, interesting and simply beautiful to experience in all its facets.

tbF7V4o.jpg

Seeing it from the outside it looks expansive, but when you follow all the points of the story told by all the media of this multimedia gaming universe, you can only be struck by the attention to certain details, and the impact that the game story has on the characters.
With a cast of 4 characters, Ignis, Gladio, Prompto and Noctis are easily the best group of professionals created for a trip of this kind, and especially for a Final Fantasy game.
Friendly, fun, with their passions and hobbies. Fantastic.

HjwV8lV.gif

Just as it is equally fantastic to travel the world of Eos of Final Fantasy XV with the Chocobo, with the Regalia, or even admiring the magnificent landscapes on foot.

mVAJJE0.gif

The OST is awesome, the battle system is fun and I loved the combo attacks with all of them and the beautiful Noctis final move the Arminger Unleashed; i like the cities of Lestallum, Altissia and the Ruins of Insomnia, the Lore is epic, the main villain Ardyn is amazing.
And I also really loved the beautiful dungeons made for the openworld.
(some of the best of the entire series)
And the Summon are just AMAZING.

hD184wB.gif

JJknHUr.jpg

ljG8ZtV.gif

GmEbe17.jpg

FFXV is definitely a Final Fantasy game that I love and that will always remain in my heart.
(that I've enjoyed in every single minute of my over 300 hours of gameplay)

Now I'll post my full list of what I liked most:

1: FFXV
2: FFVI
3: FFIX
4: FFVII
5: FFVIII
6: FFIV
7: FFX
8: FFI
9: FFXIV
10: FFV
11: FFII
12: FFXII
13: FFXI
14: FFXIII
15: FFIII

P.S.: Now I'll post one of coolest secret Boss of the game. Omega.
(a cool reference from FFV to FFXV)

And Bahamut, from Final Fantasy XV Comrades (OST made by Nobuo Uematsu)

OdG1pkq.jpg

[and Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition is free with the PSPlus Collection]

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
in which part you believe? if you talk about cross-class skill features, XIV used to have it until removed and replaced with role action.
Especially by type of jobs and variety.
(but I think it's a pure matter of my personal taste, also in the management)

Last edited:

*Nightwing

I can't make up my mind to vote. Story wise I have always loved xi and hope they still remake a single player ver one day based on its current state so more can experience it, and I can't think of any other game I want to have remade not for me but for others if that says anything about how much I enjoy it.

Kumomeme

Especially by type of jobs and variety.
(but I think it's a pure matter of my personal taste, also in the management)
talk about job and variety, it too soon to draw conclusion since XIV is mmo so new job is coming by each expansion. also XIV is kind of final fantasy themepark or love letter so it has or going to have jobs from various numbered title. lot of job in V for example already existed in the game.

Edit: that is when we talk about combat type of job. there also non-combatant type like crafter and gatherers . for example carpenter, fisher, botanist etc.

Last edited:
Nothing beats Bravely Default Job system.

The FFV job system while less evolved in some ways allows for more freedom. You can theoretically beat the game with any job combo.

Some of BD's jobs by contrast are more supplementary, most notably the Red Mage, whose skills are clearly meant for mixing and matching with other classes.

small_law

FFVII is an unmitigated masterpiece, a true watershed moment in gaming.
FFVIII collapses nearly under its own weight, but at least they went for it with the junction system.
FFX: Loved it. It has its shortcomings, but 19 years on, it's miraculous that it was cohesive at all.
FFXII: One of my true regrets in gaming; I couldn't get into it. My fault, not the game's.
FXIII: How many bad decisions can you make about game and still have people love it? Answer: FXIII. They made it for someone, but definitely not me.
FFV: Battle system was terrible, full stop.
FFVII Remake felt like Christmas morning.

Cutty Flam

Banned
What are some tips, a couple tactics or strategies a newcomer should consider when playing FF games? Does it vary greatly from game to game, how perceptive the player must be? And does item management play a huge role in FF, sort of like Resident Evil?

The jobs and fighting especially seem like they’ll be the toughest to get a feel for and master

Ixion

What are some tips, a couple tactics or strategies a newcomer should consider when playing FF games? Does it vary greatly from game to game, how perceptive the player must be? And does item management play a huge role in FF, sort of like Resident Evil?

The jobs and fighting especially seem like they’ll be the toughest to get a feel for and master

In terms of tips for the series in general, it would just be general RPG stuff like don't be afraid to go back to the last area and grind a bit if you're stuck (and make use of the speed-up feature when grinding if you're playing a modern version with that feature). Explore and talk to people and you might find items/quests where you don't expect. Also, the majority of FF games will have an "endgame" point in the last 1/3 of the game where the world is open to you and you can go back to most areas to things you missed (as well as find new quests), so while some things might be permanently "missable", for the most part you should be able to go back later on.

So yeah, just general RPG stuff mostly.

In terms of jobs, I don't think it will be hard to get into. Final Fantasy is popular partly because the gameplay is pretty straightforward with some depth. I think you said you're planning on playing FF7, FF9, and FF15 for your first three, and those are all simple in that regard. I'd say FF8 and FF12 are the more complicated ones, with FF8 being the most unintuitive to me with its Junction System. FF10 might look kinda confusing at first with its Sphere Grid, but especially if you're using the original non-Expert version, it's actually very straightforward.

And for the fighting itself, same deal. It's pretty straightforward across all the games, but there's definitely strategic depth if you need it.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Choice is almost 100% locked in. Most likely will be FF IX

The two characters standing to the left and right seem likely to be the most valiant of the group. I'll rank the strength of each protagonist as in each one's overall prowess as a leader, adventurer, and fighter just for fun and to see how wrong each guess is after playing. This would be my guess

In order (from strongest to weakest) - Green, Tin battle hat, Adorned powerful-looking staff, Vivi, Red boots and gloves, Mysterious chef, Chick w/ the tail next to chef, Bowtie

home-background.jpg

Aion002

-What are your favorite Final Fantasy games? What are the 3-5 games on your list?

V, VII and IX.

-Which would you say had the best characters, side quests, story?

VII.

-FF game with the best boss fights?

VII.

-Are there any that were overrated or definitely not as good as you thought they should have or could have been?

XV.

-Is there any one game in the series that you would consider to be the perfect example of what a Final Fantasy game is all about?

VII.

-Underrated FF games in your opinion?

V and IX.

-Is the first FF you ever played your favorite one?

Nope.

-Who are your favorite protagonists and favorite villains?

Warrior of Light (I), Cecil (II), Faris (FFV), Terra (VI), Lightning (XIII) and Y'shtola (XIV).

ExDeath (V), Ultros (VI), Rufus (VII) and Ardyn (XV).

-Which one has the best items and exploration in its overworld?

VII.

-Which has the most impressive OST?

XIV.

These are all just questions for the long time fans of the series, or anyone who has played a FF or two

-Is there a FF game that focused solely on story and the main characters + NPCs and everything seemed to branch off from that center focus?

XIII.

-Is FF the best RPG series in gaming as a whole?

Maybe.

-Do you enjoy nutritional yeast on your toast for additional taste and B vitamin's?

Nope.

-What are your favorite Final Fantasy games? What are the 3-5 games on your list?

Probably XV, VII, and XIV

-Which would you say had the best characters, side quests, story?

XIV

-FF game with the best boss fights?

XIV

-Are there any that were overrated or definitely not as good as you thought they should have or could have been?

I tried VIII and I couldn't really get into it with the junction system.

-Is there any one game in the series that you would consider to be the perfect example of what a Final Fantasy game is all about?

Honestly, with characters and everything I really enjoy VIIR, the character dialogue between the cast is the best I've seen.

-Underrated FF games in your opinion?

I would say, XV the ending really got me and the DLCs are really good imo.

-Is the first FF you ever played your favorite one?

For nostalgia reasons yes, VII got me into RPGs when I discovered it in my Dad's PS1 games.

-Who are your favorite protagonists and favorite villains?

I like Noctis and I really enjoy Kefka and Sephiroth.

-Which one has the best items and exploration in its overworld?

XV, I really enjoyed the world.

-Which has the most impressive OST?

XIV

These are all just questions for the long time fans of the series, or anyone who has played a FF or two

-Is there a FF game that focused solely on story and the main characters + NPCs and everything seemed to branch off from that center focus?

XIV does that imo, you're the center of the story with tons of content.

-Is FF the best RPG series in gaming as a whole?

Nothing can ever be the best, but it's one of my favorites, I'll eventually try every main entry.

-Do you enjoy nutritional yeast on your toast for additional taste and B vitamins?

Uh, sure??

Cutty Flam

Banned
FF7 and FF14 are my favorites, with FF14 being the best mmo I’ve ever played.
FFXIV from all that I have read across several threads seems to be top tier, but the poll ITT doesn’t reflect that. Just something I’ve noticed... Maybe people were thrown off by the MMO style being introduced to the series?

FFVII is an unmitigated masterpiece, a true watershed moment in gaming.
FFVIII collapses nearly under its own weight, but at least they went for it with the junction system.
FFX: Loved it. It has its shortcomings, but 19 years on, it's miraculous that it was cohesive at all.
FFXII: One of my true regrets in gaming; I couldn't get into it. My fault, not the game's.
FXIII: How many bad decisions can you make about game and still have people love it? Answer: FXIII. They made it for someone, but definitely not me.
FFV: Battle system was terrible, full stop.
FFVII Remake felt like Christmas morning.
25b631e08d96b2d30d9c60dde400aaee.gif

Kumomeme

FFXIV from all that I have read across several threads seems to be top tier, but the poll ITT doesn’t reflect that. Just something I’ve noticed... Maybe people were thrown off by the MMO style being introduced to the series?
most of people purposely overlook that game just because it has mmo label. lot of people tend to pretend it doesnt exist.

most of people purposely overlook that game just because it has mmo label. lot of people tend to pretend it doesnt exist.
It's a shame, the story is incredible and imo the best coherent story in FF to date. Game has grown massively since Shadowbringers now and Square has raised the free trial to lvl 60 and the entire first expansion. Definitely worth a try, the starting of the story is a real drag though. The gameplay also doesn't really pick up until lvl 30 or so but if you can look past that. It's a great time, I only downloaded it because of the free trial update last year. I was real pressed to pay the monthly fee but for the sheer amount of content that I haven't touched it's easily worth the monthly fee.

You're not locked down to one class either like WoW on your character, you can freely switch classes just by changing the weapon although you'll have to level that specific class up.

Every patch is like a whole expansion compared to WoW

Kumomeme

It's a shame, the story is incredible and imo the best coherent story in FF to date. Game has grown massively since Shadowbringers now and Square has raised the free trial to lvl 60 and the entire first expansion. Definitely worth a try, the starting of the story is a real drag though. The gameplay also doesn't really pick up until lvl 30 or so but if you can look past that. It's a great time, I only downloaded it because of the free trial update last year. I was real pressed to pay the monthly fee but for the sheer amount of content that I haven't touched it's easily worth the monthly fee.

You're not locked down to one class either like WoW on your character, you can freely switch classes just by changing the weapon although you'll have to level that specific class up.

Every patch is like a whole expansion compared to WoW
people keep giving tons of excuse to not try this game. dont have time, but i see lot of these people can clock hundreds of hour time in other game. dont want pay subs but free trial now is up to lv 60 including Heavensward which is one of the best ff ever made. lv1-60 also easily over 100 hours free of content. it is such a shame that people not atleast try experience that expansion. the base game indeed slog, but i see people wasting time longer on other game. people complaint hate grinding, and yes this game has very less grinding. it is quest exp reward system like modern single player rpg out there. nobody in the game farming exp on field 24 hours like some korean mmo. people probably has different 'idea' when talking about mmo, but this game game also basically a single player driven game, with online element added on top of it. dont want get social online? no problem the game basically soloable. i done my main story content solo. the game also designed to play for short time a day, and short a while and you encouraged by director itself to resub wherever they feels right, be it months or year later. no problem. this is not kind of game that demand player to sacrifice their time 24 hours yearly.

people just keep giving excuse over excuse despite lot of these 'restriction' is either lifted or never exist at first place.

that said, it is funny people dismissed its existance because of the mmo label but the game structure is basically like other single player game out there. if familliar with game like dragon age or xenoblade chronicles, then its not far off.

Last edited:
people keep giving tons of excuse to not try this game. dont have time, but i see lot of these people can clock hundreds of hour time in other game. dont want pay subs but free trial now is up to lv 60 including Heavensward which is one of the best ff ever made. lv1-60 also easily over 100 hours free of content. it is such a shame that people not atleast try experience that expansion. the base game indeed slog, but i see people wasting time longer on other game. people complaint hate grinding, and yes this game has very less grinding. it is quest exp reward system like modern single player rpg out there. nobody in the game farming exp on field 24 hours like some korean mmo. people probably has different 'idea' when talking about mmo, but this game game also basically a single player driven game, with online element added on top of it. dont want get social online? no problem the game basically soloable. i done my main story content solo. the game also designed to play for short time a day, and short a while and you encouraged by director itself to resub wherever they feels right, be it months or year later. no problem. this is not kind of game that demand player to sacrifice their time 24 hours yearly.

people just keep giving excuse over excuse despite lot of these 'restriction' is either lifted or never exist at first place.

that said, it is funny people dismissed its existance because of the mmo label but the game structure is basically like other single player game out there. if familliar with game like dragon age or xenoblade chronicles, then its not far off.
Completely agree, I started in August 2020 and I have about 340 hours in the game, starting to run out of stuff to do currently but I started to get some friends to play it so I just lvl some other job with them.

Kumomeme

Completely agree, I started in August 2020 and I have about 340 hours in the game, starting to run out of stuff to do currently but I started to get some friends to play it so I just lvl some other job with them.
lot of people storyline playthrough is done by solo. only need to socialize when want to tackle high end content like extreme raid which is, optional. another one is stuff like treasure hunt. but overall to get main storyline completed, can be done solo.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Some questions for the FFVIII crew, in an effort to see why FFVIII is so beloved (currently ranked 5th in poll)

Aenima Aenima Lupin3 Lupin3 UltimaKilo UltimaKilo PooBone PooBone Clear Clear C Champomade Sub_Level Sub_Level JimboJones JimboJones F Fedos Touch fuzZy. get BizZay Touch fuzZy. get BizZay PaddyOCanager PaddyOCanager johntown johntown rahuljx rahuljx fallingdove fallingdove Neff Neff Exentryk Exentryk M Mystic_Wanderer Digity Digity martino martino sephiroth7x sephiroth7x mekes mekes marcincz marcincz Zambatoh Zambatoh jeffyjaixx jeffyjaixx K.N.W. K.N.W. N NahaNago D Daeoc JeloSWE JeloSWE Nitty_Grimes Nitty_Grimes donfonzie donfonzie M Melubas S Sephimoth Enzo88 Enzo88 A Allandor Desudzer10 Desudzer10 The Fuzz damn you! The Fuzz damn you! M Moochi Anki Anki SantaC SantaC NeoLed NeoLed ] YukiOnna YukiOnna Yumi Yumi Ikutachi Ikutachi The Fartist The Fartist Fret Runner Fret Runner D DJTHEGREY losslessFlac losslessFlac KuraiShidosha KuraiShidosha T TaylorSwiftFan Marcus Aurelius Marcus Aurelius Nezzeroth Nezzeroth

Why is FFVIII one of your favorites? What about this game stood out enough, in comparison to the others you've played in the series, to earn one of your three votes in the poll?
Overworld, NPCs, story, dungeons, enemies, boss fights, protagonists and antagonists - are all those things strong enough to offset the battle system that fans tend to criticize in FFVIII?
What's underappreciated about FFVIII in your opinion?

It's better than VII.

So... Top 5:

IX, VI, V, VIII and XV.
Going by your list, it looks like FFVIII might have knocked off FFVII to make your top 5, must be a very impressive game. Not many ITT have really talked at length about FFVIII

What do you think it does better, in comparison to FFVII?

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Some questions for the FFVIII crew, in an effort to see why FFVIII is so beloved (currently ranked 5th in poll)

Aenima Aenima Lupin3 Lupin3 UltimaKilo UltimaKilo PooBone PooBone Clear Clear C Champomade Sub_Level Sub_Level JimboJones JimboJones F Fedos Touch fuzZy. get BizZay Touch fuzZy. get BizZay PaddyOCanager PaddyOCanager johntown johntown rahuljx rahuljx fallingdove fallingdove Neff Neff Exentryk Exentryk M Mystic_Wanderer Digity Digity martino martino sephiroth7x sephiroth7x mekes mekes marcincz marcincz Zambatoh Zambatoh jeffyjaixx jeffyjaixx K.N.W. K.N.W. N NahaNago D Daeoc JeloSWE JeloSWE Nitty_Grimes Nitty_Grimes donfonzie donfonzie M Melubas S Sephimoth Enzo88 Enzo88 A Allandor Desudzer10 Desudzer10 The Fuzz damn you! The Fuzz damn you! M Moochi Anki Anki SantaC SantaC NeoLed NeoLed ] YukiOnna YukiOnna Yumi Yumi Ikutachi Ikutachi The Fartist The Fartist Fret Runner Fret Runner D DJTHEGREY losslessFlac losslessFlac KuraiShidosha KuraiShidosha T TaylorSwiftFan Marcus Aurelius Marcus Aurelius Nezzeroth Nezzeroth

Why is FFVIII one of your favorites? What about this game stood out enough, in comparison to the others you've played in the series, to earn one of your three votes in the poll?
Overworld, NPCs, story, dungeons, enemies, boss fights, protagonists and antagonists - are all those things strong enough to offset the battle system that fans tend to criticize in FFVIII?

Going by your list, it looks like FFVIII might have knocked off FFVII to make your top 5, must be a very impressive game. Not many ITT have really talked at length about FFVIII

Uhh....Pretty much all of the above. And the combat system is perfectly fine. Never understood any of the so called "criticism" of it when all I see in every single FF thread ever created is the incessant whining of the fanbase that is along the lines of "they changed it, now it sucks."

Exentryk

FFVIII was my first FF. So have a soft spot for it. Apart from that, I love how you can break the game by keeping your level low, but getting stronger in other ways, as the enemies' scale based on your level. The story, characters, world and the music are all so fantastic that I whenever someone mentions Balamb, I get this warm feeling inside. Just all happy memories of running around there playing cards and trying to beat Diablos, lol. I also love the battle system since you can so overpowered and junction all the powerful spells to all your stats very early. I think even the final weapon can be made in disc 1 or early disc 2.

I just love everything about it!

Enzo88

I don`t think FFVIII is better than VII as an overall package.

However, i do believe that 8 is unfairly criticized for trying to be unique.

I could argue that artistically (visual and sound), FFVIII is the greatest FF ever. At the same time, i realize that this aspect of a game is extremely subjective.
This is the game`s main strength in my opinion (not a small feat in a JRPG, genre in which the sense of place and music beats that repeat for 50 plus hours are a huge part of the game), plus the overall ambition of the project, with the double storyline including Laguna.

That said, in most of the objective parameters above listed, it falls behind 6 and 7...i just love that world in 8, i look at it, listen to it and i marvel.

JimboJones

Honestly FF8 is just very nostalgic for me, it has great music and I actually enjoyed the junction system and learning abilities via the GF's and "abusing" the abilities to kinda cheat the game.

Nice atmosphere and locations in the game, despite the dialogue and story being super cringe at times (no voice acting kinda helps here) I enjoyed the story for the most part.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member

For me it's the art direction (master tier), the world (beautiful), the soundtrack (OMG), and gun blades (I'm a simple man). I'm not a huge JRPG guy, but FFVIII will forever have a special place in my heart. Also I dug the GF system.

Edit: forgot about the card game, I played the shit out of that too.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned

The card game itself is enough to love the game. I really liked the story and the world.

I don’t mind the battle system. I actually liked it but I used my GFs more than anything else so I really didn’t abuse the draw system or other things that make the game easy.

I liked Squall too for the main character. The anti social negative hero.

FVIII is my FFVII. By which I mean it was an eye opening experience to the greatness of jrpgs. After not bothering with FFVII because the characters looked like pointy lego people, I was enticed by FFVIII's beautiful cutscenes. I decided I would endure all the boring rpg stuff like walking and waiting and numbers just to see all of those cutscenes. Instead, I was awoken to the depth and beauty of a good jrpg, how much effort goes into creating an amazing world with cool characters and towns and secrets and sidequests, as well as beautiful music and whatnot. I'm very fond of the weird, broken battle system beacuse it's broken in a fun, empowering way and I love how devestating limitbreaks are, especially Zell's. I also love triple triad and just the general stylishness of FFVIII.

While it does have its flaws, I feel a lot of what people call "bad" in the game would be better described as "weird, and not what they were hoping for more of based on previous experiences."

Last edited:

NahaNago

For me the atmosphere of the game at times was just amazing. I especially liked when the game slowed down and you got to these quiet charming towns or these cut scenes that were adorable. Honestly half of the reason I tend to like the ps1 era of final fantasy was the use of over the top animation to tell a story but final fantasy 8 differed for me in that it was better at setting the mood of the story with the music and its setting. I honestly can barely remember the bosses and dungeons of ff8. Honestly battles in jrpg are usually the thing i care the least about so the junction system was just another battle system for me. Give me a world I want to explore, charming characters, great music, okay story ( it's a jrpg I expect the story to be terrible) and add some combat to mix up the exploration and I'm good.

Thabass

Villains: EMET-SELCH (XIV). That's it, no villain in the whole saga gets close to Emet. Any other answer is from people that didn't play FFXIV Shadowbringers so it's instantly wrong.
tumblr_puprvlpkvu1vshemho1_500.gif

He's my number 2, just under Sephiroth. He was just...so good. It's a shame MANY people will never experience this.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I have a weird confession to make: Having played 6, 7, 10, 15, and 7 remake: at best FF was ok to me. I've only gotten into RPGs in the past few years, and having played Xenogears and Chrono Trigger before any of the FF titles, I can't help but compare them and just get disappointed.

Lethal01

I have a weird confession to make: Having played 6, 7, 10, 15, and 7 remake: at best FF was ok to me. I've only gotten into RPGs in the past few years, and having played Xenogears and Chrono Trigger before any of the FF titles, I can't help but compare them and just get disappointed.

Different people like different things, I've always been wanting systems that mix up the standard action game by combining them with the tactical aspects of RPG's. For me FF7:RE doing this makes it an all time great.

I could offcourse think of things that would still improve it drastically but things can always be better.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Different people like different things, I've always been wanting systems that mix up the standard action game by combining them with the tactical aspects of RPG's. For me FF7:RE doing this makes it an all time great.

I could offcourse think of things that would still improve it drastically but things can always be better.
Have you played any of the Xenoblade games? The combat is a weird hybrid in those as well.

Part of the reason I didn't like 7 remake's combat was the jump from doing the basic attacks to time stopping for arts which felt weird. I also wasn't a fan of how your other party members gauges filled so slowly or not at all when you weren't controlling them. If I remember correctly FF15 has essentially the same system.

I did enjoy the non-combat parts of 7 remake though.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Have you played any of the Xenoblade games? The combat is a weird hybrid in those as well.

Part of the reason I didn't like 7 remake's combat was the jump from doing the basic attacks to time stopping for arts which felt weird. I also wasn't a fan of how your other party members gauges filled so slowly or not at all when you weren't controlling them. If I remember correctly FF15 has essentially the same system.

I did enjoy the non-combat parts of 7 remake though.

FF15 and FF7R are worlds apart in terms of combat. Like, some general ideas are present in both games but got executed totally different. 15 is an experimental mess and you pretty much could control anyone but the main character.

I understand how that could be jarring, but I just used shortcuts for the right moves, so I probably used the menu a lot less than you did. I loved how the ATB incentivised you to constantly switch and I feel that was a key part in creating the turn based feel. I'd be constantly making a character do a special attack and switching right off them to someone else. For me it perfectly captured the feeling of commanding an actual unit that turn based games did.

My real complaints are that normal mode is too easy when it comes to enemy stats. I want more options for air combat. And I want them to do a bit more on the action side that require movement and timing.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
FF15 and FF7R are worlds apart in terms of combat. Like, some general ideas are present in both games but got executed totally different. 15 is an experimental mess and you pretty much could control anyone but the main character.

I understand how that could be jarring, but I just used shortcuts for the right moves, so I probably used the menu a lot less than you did. I loved how the ATB incentivised you to constantly switch and I feel that was a key part in creating the turn based feel. I'd be constantly making a character do a special attack and switching right off them to someone else. For me it perfectly captured the feeling of commanding an actual unit that turn based games did.

My real complaints are that normal mode is too easy when it comes to enemy stats. I want more options for air combat. And I want them to do a bit more on the action side that require movement and timing.
Oh I didn't know you could map shortcuts for moves.

Your last point made me remember experiencing weird difficulty spikes. The game was easy for me until you have to fight the Turk in the junk lot of Aeris's hometown, then it would be easy again, and spiked again randomly. Perhaps I'm just not good at those types of games.

Moochi

Final Fantasy 8 had a big dumb story that took outrageous leaps that didn't quite pay off. I love that about it. Gardeb, the flying magic school / elite private military force is a great idea, and every minute they spent exploring that was amazing. It's just the writers weren't content with it and had to make 80% of the game have nothing to do with Garden or Seed. It's like Soldier and Harry Potter combined. It was almost so cool, but the they had to pile twist on top of twist until the whole thing came crashing down in a pile of stupidity.

Square returned to the concept in FF type-0, but it wasn't nearly as grand.

Catphish

I feel like the series peaked at 7. I wanted more strategic, turn-based combat, more cool looking summons, and more good stories. Instead, they seemed to abandon all of that. Not one game after, except maybe 14, made me feel anything close to what I felt for 7.

I don't think it's better than FFVII, it's just an awesome follow up and is completely different from all the other games in the series mechanics-wise. The music is god-tier, and the game has some awesome scenarios (Balamb vs Galbadia garden, assault on Dollet, etc etc). I think people underappreciate the story as well as the characters - I've heard people say it's just a sappy teen love story when there's so much more to it, and I've heard people just refer to Squall as an emo bitch when I'd argue he has one of the most significant arcs in the entire FF franchise. It's a bit clumsy at times in execution but I find that to be part of the game's charm.

Having Balamb Garden as sort of an evolving hub area/home was a really cool mechanic too. It felt like a character in itself and not just an arbitrary vehicle to cross the World Map. Also, the Triple Triad card game alone puts FFVIII as one of the best in the series regardless of its flaws.

Top Bottom