• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top underrated games

Holammer

I'm baffled by the fact that so many post critically acclaimed games and stuff that sold millions. What does underrated even mean to you people?
PanzerAzel nailed it by mentioning Galak-Z, the rest of you? Unhinged! I wouldn't trust you with complex machinery or small animals.

For my recommendations, I'll go with Blazing Beaks for PC & Switch, a rogue-lite with brutal risk/reward mechanics. Your greed will destroy you.

Fist's Elimination Tower is a quirky indie platformer on PC with super charming presentation. It deserved more attention.

Angerforce: Reloaded feels and plays mechanically like a 90's style shooter similar to Gunbird or Aero Fighters. The art is a bid drab, but it's serviceable. Available for PC, Switch & Playstation.

AndrewRyan

Here's some lesser known Switch games I enjoy:

FutureGrind - fun as hell platformer
Riddled Corpses EX - indy twin-stick shooter
Lonely Mountains Downhill - physics based bike riding
Jets-N-Guns 2 - shump
Bleed/Bleed 2 - shumps
Aragami: Shadow Edition - artistic stealth game (cheapo dishonored)
Pawarumi - shump

Fbh

It has an 85 metascore and won awards and stuff so it's not like it didn't get any recognition but Outer Wilds doesn't get talk about a lot and it's seriously one of my favorite games of the last decade.

WelllitImpishErin-size_restricted.gif

It's kinda hard to really get into why I like it so much without spoiling anything but I guess the best way I can describe it is that in times when "subverting expectations" has almost acquired a negative connotation, this is one of first entertainments products to subvert my expectations in a positive way. It doesn't do so with a crazy story twist, shock value or changing genres mid game, but instead it took preconceptions I had about exploration and progression in games I've build over 20+ years of playing them, and gave them an amazing twist.

The DLC is pretty good too, though not on the same level as the main game.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Valfaris

Incredible varied environments and weaponry. A joy to look at through its excellent visuals from start to finish with super satisfying gameplay all around. A game that i play at least once a year. It has a really cool risk and reward mechanic that makes you stronger when you leave checkpoints untouched.

BlackandwhiteGreenHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
78593-snake-rattle-n-roll-nes-front-cover.jpg

I'm not sure if this game was successful or not, but I know that all the kids in the neighbourhood never bought or rented it because of its box art. Gladly my younger sister had the balls.
Man I loved this one as a kid! Eating balls, licking feet and dying a fuckton.

It was too hard for me (like most if not all games at the time lol), so watching how my bro beat the final boss was truly amazing at the time. Did you guys managed to beat it?

Valfaris

Incredible varied environments and weaponry. A joy to look at through its excellent visuals from start to finish with super satisfying gameplay all around. A game that i play at least once a year. It has a really cool risk and reward mechanic that makes you stronger when you leave checkpoints untouched.

BlackandwhiteGreenHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

Might be confused. Didn't this game get a really bad reception at release? Trailer looks very cool tho.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I actually had to think long and hard about this one...

My answer is Lost Planet 2, a very intresting experiment from Capcom. Now I know People always say this "coop games are better with friends" but quite frankly solo Lost Planet 2 was a dreadful experience, with up to 3 other players, even randoms though... absolute mayhem in the best possible way.

It even had secret combo attacks with support weapons and mechs... People could go through the entire game and never know you could get all 4 players to do some literal power ranger shit to combine attacks.

And yeah the combo mech was OP as all hell and a ton of fun.

It was little things like that which set it apart as the ultimate coop experience at the time... the only weakness I would say was its PvP, especially after the originals game perfected the formula with the Humans vs Akrid mode in the Colonys edition...

But people just seem to forget about this gem... sadly Capcom dropped it in favour of a more single player experience for 3...

Hestar69

Alundra - never hear this one brought up but man was it one of the best action rpgs of the psx era, gorgeous sprite work and music and the story is bleak af while still being great

Illusion of Gaia - another lost gem, SNES classic and one of my favorite games on the console that never gets brought up. Absolutely incredible, wish it was playable on modern devices
Man gaia,soulblzer and Terranigm were all amazing games.I need to replay them again..Never played alundra I need to get it a try.

OT:

For Me, Crystalis NES
TPSI7Ow.png

At one point in the game you can ride a dolphin and fight enemies. People always talk about Zelda but never Crystalis which I think is better (love both alot tho)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Not trying to be a smart ass but isn't it a little weird to call games that received rave reviews across the board (like Klonoa, Rayman, Alundra) underrated? If anything those games are overlooked or under-appreciated, as they sadly often fall under the radar.
Underrated to me implies games that undeservedly received mixed or poor critical reception. Games like...
  • God Hand
  • D2
  • Extermination
  • Echo Night
  • Fragile Dreams
  • Nier

Last edited by a moderator:

teezzy

Banned
Not trying to be a smart ass but isn't it a little weird to call games that received rave reviews across the board (like Klonoa, Rayman, Alundra) underrated? If anything those games are overlooked or under-appreciated, as they sadly often fall under the radar.
Underrated to me implies games that undeservedly received mixed or poor critical reception. Games like...
  • God Hand
  • D2
  • Extermination
  • Echo Night
  • Fragile Dreams
  • Nier

Fragile Dreams and D2 are fine wine

Season 1 Water GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
:messenger_heart: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow :messenger_heart:

Had all of the fantastic art design, lore, enemy design, enemy variety, location variety that made Souls so beloved...

PLUS the production values/store to match God of War.

PLUS actual legit combat, perfect length. This game had so much heart and soul.

One of my favs of that generation.

castlevanialordsofshadow245-610.jpg

I was so hyped for GOW3 that year but ended up liking this more

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

Honestly - Disco Elysium.

The game has a '97' on Metacritic and is possibly my favourite game of the last twenty years. The game is barely even talked about anymore but should, in my eyes at least, be one of those games that continues to be held aloft as a perfect example of its genre.

Honourable Mentions:

Days Gone - really good game (after the first few hours)
Quantum Break - enjoyed it. Got lost in the sea of television show promises and the horrific Xbox One launch.
Final Fantasy VIII - Always in the shadow of VII and IX and is always attacked for its drawing and junctioning - still an amazing game.
MGSV - Yes it was incomplete. Yes it was missing so much of its story. The gameplay though - my god the gameplay.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thanks for all the contributions. Guess this will be my go-to thread for when I don't know what to play next! :)

Another one:

Ninja Five-O / Ninja Cop
4qkC.gif

A pretty cool game for the GBA. Honestly, I played this one many years ago and all I remember is it being an awesome game. Good challenge, cool music, I think it was kinda short, and well... Grappling hook! What else?

You might like this one if...
You like Bionic Commando
You like Shinobi

SpiceRacz

My favorite thing about the PS2 isn't the 1st party stuff. It's the amount of great B-Tier titles. We could make an entire thread dedicated to underrated PS2 games.

s-l500.jpg

Sub_Rebellion_cover.jpg

RYGARTHELEGENDARYADVENTURER3509_f.jpg

MacReady13

Mega Man 3. We always hear about how amazing Mega Man 2 was but rarely does the sequel get the credit it deserves. It is a better, harder and longer game. Has better music and is a much more enjoyable game. I do know that some rate this game as the pinnacle of the series but there are many who still underrate this games status as a classic.

Super Mario Bros 2. When you're sandwiched in between the most influential game of all time and one of the greatest platformers of the 2D era, it's hard to recommend the 2nd game in the series. It was also not originally a Mario game which makes it a weird Mario title but by god it is a fun platformer.

TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. Is it as good as the SNES TMNT game? Possibly. Either way, until the compilation very little seemed to be mentioned about this game. It is a dead set classic and well worth anyone's time. Once the compilation is out this game alone is worth the price of admission.

Resident Evil 3. I feel like this game (the original Playstation version) doesn't get praised enough especially considering it follows the original 2 classics. Now that Playstation is going to rip us all off with their version of a sub service, if anyone is silly enough to spend money renting games in today's day and age and Resident Evil 3 is available, play it then try find a way to buy it and OWN it forever.

Banjo-Tooie. Never got the accolades that the original got. Not really a forgotten sequel but deserves as much praise as the original. A really brilliant 3D platformer.

Just a quick edit here- I wanted to add in a game from not long ago called Rage 2. This game really did grab a hold of me and never let go. I get the criticism with the barren and vast waste land but the gun play is so fun and had a decent story as well. Really liked it and I'm sure it will be cheap enough now for many to give it a go.

Last edited:

bootaski

Summoner, by volition (the guys who did red faction) for ps2. Hoping, dreaming that it gets released with trophy support on PS+ premium.

teezzy

Banned
Blinx_-_The_Time_Sweeper_Coverart.png

I've talked about it here before but Blinx is awesome. It's so misunderstood. More of a puzzle platformer than anything else.

Even got a sequel which supposedly dropped like the same week Halo 2 did... and it didn't sell. Such a shame

RAIDEN1

Mega Man 3. We always hear about how amazing Mega Man 2 was but rarely does the sequel get the credit it deserves. It is a better, harder and longer game. Has better music and is a much more enjoyable game. I do know that some rate this game as the pinnacle of the series but there are many who still underrate this games status as a classic.

Super Mario Bros 2. When you're sandwiched in between the most influential game of all time and one of the greatest platformers of the 2D era, it's hard to recommend the 2nd game in the series. It was also not originally a Mario game which makes it a weird Mario title but by god it is a fun platformer.

TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. Is it as good as the SNES TMNT game? Possibly. Either way, until the compilation very little seemed to be mentioned about this game. It is a dead set classic and well worth anyone's time. Once the compilation is out this game alone is worth the price of admission.

Resident Evil 3. I feel like this game (the original Playstation version) doesn't get praised enough especially considering it follows the original 2 classics. Now that Playstation is going to rip us all off with their version of a sub service, if anyone is silly enough to spend money renting games in today's day and age and Resident Evil 3 is available, play it then try find a way to buy it and OWN it forever.

Banjo-Tooie. Never got the accolades that the original got. Not really a forgotten sequel but deserves as much praise as the original. A really brilliant 3D platformer.

Just a quick edit here- I wanted to add in a game from not long ago called Rage 2. This game really did grab a hold of me and never let go. I get the criticism with the barren and vast waste land but the gun play is so fun and had a decent story as well. Really liked it and I'm sure it will be cheap enough now for many to give it a go.
Another take on Hyperstone Heist:

Guilty_AI

capsule_616x353.jpg

Gorgeous Voxel graphics and surprisingly sim-like physics that will challenge most players. Aside from its excellent gameplay, this game also has an all-time OST. Seriously, just listen to this:

I've just beaten the 'prequel' to this game, from the same devs:

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Soul Sacrifice for PSVita (My favorite handheld game ever with some of the most fun uses of magic I have seen used in a game. Never was ported from the Vita sadly.

Freedom Fighter- Also a Monster Hunter like game on VIta that was never ported. I really loved the combat and the time counter mechanic. The grappling system was awesome and reminded me of Attack on Titan.

Dreams- One of the most ambitious games I have witnessed. I think its niche nature and being stuck on consoles really held it back from being more popular. It has tons of potential and hope it can be ported to PC one day for people who want finer controls.

The Last Guardian- Went from overhyped, to severely underrated. It had a lot of criticisms of its performance, camera, and controls (Amazing how another recent game had a lot of the same issues and was labeled a masterpiece, but I will keep my salt out of it.) Aside from these issues, this game was a technical marvel. The A.I. of Trico was incredible, and the animations and physics were great. When the boy walked, you can feel the weight with how he moved, fell, and lifted objects. When Trico jumped in the water, the water pushed you around due to the games use of physics.

Knights in the Nightmare- I never finished it, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. What held it off from being popular was it was very niche with a complex combat system that combined bullet hell and turn based strategy. I thought it was a pleasant blend of mechanics after you got the hang of it. I can also see permadeath warding off people as well.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorer series- Imo, these are way more enjoyable than the main series in almost every way from story, gameplay, depth, and tone. They were rated so low from journalist and never got anywhere near the popularity of the main series. I will also throw in Pokémon Colosseum/XD in there too.

Absolver- The younger, multiplayer version of Sifu (kinda). A martial arts-based game where you could customize your movesets and character in an open environment and team up with other players. It was what I always wanted the fighting game genre to evolve into. Sadly, it didn't gain much traction.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin- The best game in the series, imo. My favorite part was the more serious tone and the promotion system. Sadly, it wasn't as successful and was the last main Advance Wars game since 2008.

Neo: TWEWY- The long-awaited sequel to one of the most beloved handheld games of last decade had some of the most lukewarm attention when it came out. In some ways it was even better than the first game and it is almost like an afterthought. I hear people mention how Square hasn't released a good game in years and want to scream.

Astral Chain- Aside from some of the horrible platforming, it has some really satisfying combat and presentation. Sadly, it wasn't a big success so now we get games like Babylon's Fall from Platinum. I hope Bayonetta 3 hits it out of the park.

Dragon's Crown- An excellent side scrolling beat em up with the gorgeous Vanillaware artstyle they are known for. Aside from the blatant fanservice, Vanillaware games are usually fairly niche.

Fantasy Life- I would kill for a non-mobile sequel. One of the better life sims games I have played.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker Series and World of Final Fantasy- Better monster collecting games than Pokémon, imo and are severely overlooked.

FR1908

Neo Member
Man I loved this one as a kid! Eating balls, licking feet and dying a fuckton.

It was too hard for me (like most if not all games at the time lol), so watching how my bro beat the final boss was truly amazing at the time. Did you guys managed to beat it?
I did beat it back then, but could not do it again on the Rare Replay collection without using the rewind option (which is cheating). That damn foot at the end took ages to kill. I respect my younger self for completing this.

There are a lot of secrets in this game including a few warp zones. There was one right at the start. You had to slide in a straight line to the finish to jump on a launching rocket. This brought you straight to level 9 or 10. There were some more on those single cubes scattered through the world. Jumping while sticking out your tongue activate them.

Top Bottom