• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 Nintendo Games?

Smasher89

In no specific order,titles that also were even better at the time of release: Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey kong country:Tropical Freeze, Super smash bros melee, pokemon bw2(or emerald, tricky but emerald had 0 online but better frontier) and probably xenoblade 2, nothing ive played as much comes to mind atm.

Too many to list...
I have more than 5 goats in each of their 3 best series alone Nintendo in general.

1. SMB1/SMB3/SMW/SM64/
SM:G1/SM:G2/SM3DL/SM3DW/SM:O
I hate SMB2, SM:SS, SML1, SML2,
& All NSMB games.
2.Z1/Z3:ALTTP/Z:OOT/Z:MM/Z:WW/Z:TP
Z:SS/Z:BW/Z:LA/Z:MC/Z:ALBW
I hate Z2:AL, Z:OA, Z:OS, ZPH, Z:ST, Z:TFH & Both Four Swords games.
3. MT1/SMT3/MP1/MP2/MP3/MT:ZM/
MT:F/MT:SR
I hate MT2:RS, MP:H, MP:FF, M:OM
4. WL2/WL3/WL4
I hate WL1, WL(VB), WW, WL:Shake It
5.PO!/POWii!!
I hate SPO!
6. DK/MvsDK/DK:JB/DKC:R/DKC:TF
I hate DKC1, DKC2, DKC3 & Rare
7.Kid Icarus 1
I hate KI2:MM, KI:U
8. Splatoon 1/Splatoon 2
9. Captain Toad:TT
10. Luigis Mansion 1/2/3

Normie.

Zannegan

Based on how I felt about them in their prime, not necessarily how well they hold up, and in no particular order:

Pokemon Yellow
Ocarina of Time
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Galaxy
Smash Bros 64

Note: Metroid Prime would be on there, but I didn't have a Gamecube until WAAAY later, and putting Prime Trilogy felt like cheating.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hmm, that's tough.

Super Mario World
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart 8
A Link to the Past
Starfox/Wii Sports/BOTW

Hard to pick, I'm sure I'm forgetting some but all of the above are super fun.

Handel

1. TLOZ : Majora's Mask
2. TLOZ : Link's Awakening
3. Pikmin
4. SSBM
5. Pokemon Emerald

The Zelda games directed by/written by Koizumi are just in a higher tier in terms of atmosphere and character work/NPC implementation, which I value greatly. They also have the funnest gameplay to me due to the variations offered by the transformation masks in MM and item combos in LA.

The original Pikmin is a very underrated game. It's incredibly bold with it's hard 30-day time limit, the gameplay is unique enough to not be able to easily fit into any genre, and it just oozes charm. The pikmin by themselves are cute creatures,, with surprising ferocity that only makes you live them more, and then saddened when they die and their ghosts pop out with the horrifying sound.. Olimar's diary entries were a great way to form a bond with him as a character as well as understand his growing bond with the pikmin.

SSBM doesn't need much explanation, just the ultimate party game that I played endlessly with my friends as a kid. Ultimate would be above it if I got to play it with my friends more.

Pokemon Emerald is the pinnacle of the series, with my favorite set of pokemon, and so much content. The series didn't feel stale yet, and tree houses, the contests, etc. were all great new additions to the series coming off gen II.

anab0lic36

Hmm, super difficult to narrow it down to just 5 when they have such a stellar portfolio, so many that are masterpeices of game design. I definately have a preference for their SNES - N64 output though, i think thats when they were at peak creativity and the games had a level of challenge that felt rewarding to beat.

1) Links awakening - GB version
2) Mario bros 3
3) A Link to the past
4) Mario 64
5) Super Mario kart

small_law

1. Super Mario Brothers
2. Super Mario Brothers 3
3. Super Metroid
4. Wind Waker
5. Breath of the Wild

You can see where the gaps are. I didn't have a Super Nintendo, but my roommate in college brought his and demanded I play Super Metroid. I also didn't have a Nintendo 64 in its heyday. I stole my cousins maybe 10 years ago and I'm still meaning to get a copy of ocarina at some point

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
In no particular order, 1 title per series :

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Wii version (oddly enough, don't enjoy OoT)
Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door
Wii Sports. Yes, I will go there, what it did for gaming for me and my family (one of which I just lost in November 2020) meant a lot to me. ;_;

TIGERCOOL

1. TLOZ : Majora's Mask
2. TLOZ : Link's Awakening
3. Pikmin
4. SSBM
5. Pokemon Emerald

The Zelda games directed by/written by Koizumi are just in a higher tier in terms of atmosphere and character work/NPC implementation, which I value greatly. They also have the funnest gameplay to me due to the variations offered by the transformation masks in MM and item combos in LA.

The original Pikmin is a very underrated game. It's incredibly bold with it's hard 30-day time limit, the gameplay is unique enough to not be able to easily fit into any genre, and it just oozes charm. The pikmin by themselves are cute creatures,, with surprising ferocity that only makes you live them more, and then saddened when they die and their ghosts pop out with the horrifying sound.. Olimar's diary entries were a great way to form a bond with him as a character as well as understand his growing bond with the pikmin.

SSBM doesn't need much explanation, just the ultimate party game that I played endlessly with my friends as a kid. Ultimate would be above it if I got to play it with my friends more.

Pokemon Emerald is the pinnacle of the series, with my favorite set of pokemon, and so much content. The series didn't feel stale yet, and tree houses, the contests, etc. were all great new additions to the series coming off gen II
I like this list.

1. Majora'a Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. SSBM
4. Super Mario World
5. Galaxy 2

Last edited:
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Sunshine
Pokèmon Emerald
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Ocarina of Time

Honorable mention, Super Smash Bros Melee and Metroid Fusions, the two Gamecube pokemon games, XD and Colosseum, who are imo unbeated still nowadays

Most of the best Nintendo stuff was from the GcGba era, how much I miss it sigh

Last edited:

Intoxicate

Super Mario World (everything before woke my interesst, but this game blew me away)
Wii Sports (Something you can get even no gamers into a quick round)
The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (all other Zelda's were "nice" but didn't catch me fully)
Mario 64 (That was the formula all 3D games were inspired with)
Wave Race 64 (never again was so thrilled to get the best time, was exchanging the cardrige with friend on a weekly basis and we fought hard for the highscores)

Marvel14

Banned
I'm gonna cheat. I'm lumping ips together to represent a Nintendo gaming legacy rather than individual games.

1.Mario 64, Mario Galaxies
2. Supermario 3, supermarioworld, Yoshi's Island.
3. BoTW, Legend of Zelda ocarina , Majora Windwaker
4. Tetris Gameboy
5. Metroid Prime Trilogy

Shut0wen

1) mario 64
2) OOT
3) mario obysessey
4)wind waker
5) star fox 64

I really miss star fox, i just dont get why nintendo just doesnt make a sequel to star rox 64 and make an on rails game as its a dead genre anyways, also f zero on 64 was amazing as well

daclynk

Mario - super mario world snes
Metroid - Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild
Pokemon - Pokemon Crystal
Star Fox - Star Fox 64

Dream-Knife

Banned
This is pretty hard:

1. Xenoblade 2
2. Goldeneye 007
3. Perfect Dark
4. DKC2
5. OoT

Does Monolithsoft and Rareware count? If not:

1. OoT
2. Majora's Mask
3. F-Zero X
4. Mario 3 on SNES
5. Link's Awakening DX

lachesis

No particular order... but here are mine.

Advance Wars
Tetris DX
Legend of Zelda - Breath of the wild
Super Metroid
Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like Nintendo made/published games only.

I only had NES and SNES and most Nintendo games aren;t my style and only played some.

Cobra Triangle
Kid Icarus
Ice Hockey
SMB
Zelda II
Mike Tyson's PO
SMW

Pantz

Gold Member
5. Super Mario Galaxy
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
1. Super Mario World

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Too many good memories.
For underrated ones I will choose:

Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Nintendo Land
Kid Icarus Uprising
Punch out Wii

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Too many to list...
I have more than 5 goats in each of their 3 best series alone Nintendo in general.

1. SMB1/SMB3/SMW/SM64/
SM:G1/SM:G2/SM3DL/SM3DW/SM:O
I hate SMB2, SM:SS, SML1, SML2,
& All NSMB games.
2.Z1/Z3:ALTTP/Z:OOT/Z:MM/Z:WW/Z:TP
Z:SS/Z:BW/Z:LA/Z:MC/Z:ALBW
I hate Z2:AL, Z:OA, Z:OS, ZPH, Z:ST, Z:TFH & Both Four Swords games.
3. MT1/SMT3/MP1/MP2/MP3/MT:ZM/
MT:F/MT:SR
I hate MT2:RS, MP:H, MP:FF, M:OM
4. WL2/WL3/WL4
I hate WL1, WL(VB), WW, WL:Shake It
5.PO!/POWii!!
I hate SPO!
6. DK/MvsDK/DK:JB/DKC:R/DKC:TF
I hate DKC1, DKC2, DKC3 & Rare
7.Kid Icarus 1
I hate KI2:MM, KI:U
8. Splatoon 1/Splatoon 2
9. Captain Toad:TT
10. Luigis Mansion 1/2/3
Dragon Ball GIF by TOEI Animation UK

Y0ssarian

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metroid Prime
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 007
Mario Kart 64

Honorable mention: Pokemon Yellow

Last edited:

SinDelta

Well that doesn’t cut it here. On behalf if Neogaf, I DEMAND you remove this impurity.
I played Skies of Arcadia Legends on a Nintendo gamecube and it was one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing and thus I consider it a Nintendo experience.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

1. Zelda OOT
2. Super Mario World
3. Mario Sunshine
4. EarthBound
5. Wind Waker
5. Pikmin series
5. Fire Emble 3 houses
( I can’t choose just 5 lol )

Honourable mention - Luigi’s Mansion and Mario Kart

Im not counting 3rd party games

Last edited:
Without any certain order:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV

(there's a shitload of honorable mentions as well among the NES/SNES games)

Last edited:

SpokkX

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Metroid Prime
3. Super Metroid
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Punch Out! (NES)

Top Bottom