• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 Nintendo Games?

SinDelta

Well what are they? Edit - Made tons of edits as I got my thoughts in order and saw people posting.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS - Arguably still the best game ever made. Later Zelda's surpassed different aspects of it (side quests with Majoras Mask, sword moves and companion with Twilight Princess, exploration with Breath of the Wild) , but none up to BotW have put every single thing together like it did.
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - Amazing, falling short of Ocarina only due to the gear system lacking repairs/upgrades, thematic dungeons, cool companion, instrument/songs and magic meter/spells (stuff that will hopefully be fixed with 2.)
Xenoblade Chronicles DE - Makes a amazing game even better. UI and QoL improvements render prior versions next to unplayable.
Edit1 Added Metroid Prime after seeing other posters mention it and remembering my own experience with it-
Metroid Prime - Yeah, it had atmosphere and a haunting OST.
The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - Arguably the best story in the entire series. Not kidding.

Honorable Mentions
Edit 4 - Added The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Edit 3 - Moved Skies of Arcadia to honorable mentions- (I know its a Port but it was available on the Gamecube) - One of the incredible RPGs that could really use a remaster or remake. Setting and premise are still wonderful.
Edit2 - Moved to honorable mentions - Super Smash Brothers Brawl - Subspace Emissary was crazy.
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Mario Kart Double Dash

Last edited:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Metroid Prime
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for their 8- and 16-bit classics, but much like how clean is better than dirty, 3D is better than 2D.

Woman7

Banned
1. F-zero X
2. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Zelda 3
5. Yoshi's Island

In no particular order. I can play these anytime, over and over again. 💏

gimme more fox GIF by So You Think You Can Dance

Closer

1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2. Super Mario Kart 8
3. Super Metroid (any Metroid, really. Even Other M shutup)
4. Super Smash Brothers (Torn between Melee and Ultimate)
5. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

Paper Mario thousand year door (the first should be here too honestly)
F-Zero GX
Majora's Mask
Sin and Punishment 2
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (seeing as they're like a pure continuation)

I left out pokemon as a whole, but it should be there, there's just too many though.

kunonabi

Going off my Top 50 games list my answer would be:

1. Super Metroid
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Wave Race 64
5. The Wonderful 101

Sounds about right.

Caffeine

Easy.
Metroid - what a polarizing expierence on the 8-bit platform pushing the system to its utter limits as you delve into planet Zebes.

Super Metroid - Might be the perfect game out of nintendo. What hasn't been said about it.

Metroid Prime - Take what works make it in 3d we good fam. Release the trilogy and 4 already lol.

Majora's Mask - You know the creators had to be taking salvia extract to create this in a childrens game the absolute dread and somber tone of the world might not ever come back to a recent title.

This one was tough.
Breath of the wild - yes I put it over Oot the game somehow gets better with time you keep finding shit you didn't know existed in multiple runs and for some reason keeps pulling you back into the fold. It came out only 3.5 years ago but I still want to keep going back. Sure it has some shortcomings missing key items/ iconic dungeons I think the sequel will fix this.

The rest a bunch of marios and smash games.

Moogle11

Banned
Tough choices so this will just be a quick and dirty one.

Zelda: OoT (3DS version is best)
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Super Mario Odyssey
Metroid Prime

Indyblue

BOTW
Metroid Prime
A Link to he Past
Mario Galaxy
Super Metroid

An honorable mention to Mario 64 because, while it’s aged rather poorly when compared to the above list, it was mind blowing when it came out.

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  3. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Bayonnetta 2 (or The Wonderful 101 if that counts)
Don't look back, post.

crozier

Super Mario 2 was amazing. I’m wouldn’t rank it above 1, but it would definitely be on a Top 10 list. My only complaint is that the last boss is a pushover.

Mhmmm 2077

Not in order:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3D?)
Bayonetta 2, assuming it's a Nintendo game now
Mario Kart 8

Lrnex

LoZ: OOT
Mario Sunshine
Splatoon 2
Smash Ultimate
Paper Mario: TTYD

In no particular order. I feel like there are other more influential games but going by play time/how long I’ve kept engaged I think these 5 would be it

GametimeUK

1. Super Mario World.

It's the reason why I got so interested in gaming. It just held my attention and made me want to explore every secret.

2. Zelda Wind Waker.

Without a doubt my fave Zelda title. It is the reason I fell in love with Nintendo again.

3. Metroid Prime.

I never really enjoyed first person games until this title immersed me. Another great exploration game.

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2.

This is 3D platforming perfection. Once again Nintendo showing how 3D platforming is done.

5. Animal Crossing.

I'm just gonna roll with this choice although it's probably wrong. I just loved this game on the GameCube and sunk so many hours into it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Super Mario Bros.
F-Zero GX
Super Smash Bros. N64
Sin & Punishment
Sonic Gems Collection? (I don't like any other Nintendo games)

IKSTUGA

I dunno something like:

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2. Pokemon (they're all the same basically)
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Super Mario Bros. 3

HMs: Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Link's Awakening, Super Mario World, other DKC games, Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, Mario Kart 8 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Last edited:

swaffles23

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Last one is kinda hard to choose. Either gotta be

Mario Kart 64 or
Metroid Zero Mission

Turnstyle

Based on personal nostalgia and nothing else:

1. Super Mario Kart
2. Super Mario World
3. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4. Wii Sports
5. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

balgajo

Ocarina of Time
Majoras's Mask
Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario World
Pokemon Yellow

Honorable mentions:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Mario All-Stars
Twilight Princess
Pokemon Crystal

Last edited:
Super Metroid
Mario and Luigi: Bowser inside story
Legend of Zelda: A link Between worlds
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bravely Default (does this count?)

In that order for most part. Metroid Prime would've made the cut but it's last level was frustrating. Super Metroid in comparison never drags despite being from older, more punishing era.

MiguelItUp

In no particular order...
  • Super Metroid
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  • Super Mario 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Runner-ups...
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario Bros 3