• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts on the retconned Star Wars Legends novels and characters.

Tschumi

So i have a long bike ride to work these days. About an hour each way, it gives me plenty of time to listen to audiobooks, or whatever.

Recently I've started building an interest in Star Wars Legends. Well, recently and not so recently - my ~9 years elder brother had a ton of books in the 90s/early 00s, Jedi Outcast is my favourite Star Wars game, Noah Caldwell-Gervais has put out a video or two on key Star Wars games recently - and anyway I'm making my way into Book 2 of the Thrawn Trilogy (a recommended starting point) just now and I'm looking forward to diving into the rest of the canon.

I'm looking for some guidance! What're your thoughts? What series of novels are the best, to you? What's good to listen to after the Thrawn trilogy? What're your favourite characters? Best memories? Let's act like it's still canon!

My biggest sadness is the destruction of Luke Skywalker in the new movies. It turned a life time SW fan into not caring about SW anymore. I even saw Rise of the Skywalker only once months after it came out where I saw AoTC twice in theaters. I imagined Luke is like how I read him in the past expnded universe. A badass Jedi master.

Last edited:
Good riddance.

The good stuff from there will make its way back to canon eventually (Thrawn trilogy semi-retold thru Disney+ shows, Knights Of The Old Republic, possibly the Vong in Episodes X-XII). Everything else is convoluted shit.

Also, fuck Mara Jade.

Cravis

Angry Harrison Ford GIF
M

Never imagined I could care so little about Star Wars but, good on you Disney. You managed to fuck it all up.

Dr Bass

Angry Harrison Ford GIF
M

Never imagined I could care so little about Star Wars but, good on you Disney. You managed to fuck it all up.
I am right there with you man. I used to love, love, love Star Wars as a child/teen. It is completely and utterly dead to me. The changes to the OT don't help either.

LRKD

Good riddance.

The good stuff from there will make its way back to canon eventually (Thrawn trilogy semi-retold thru Disney+ shows, Knights Of The Old Republic, possibly the Vong in Episodes X-XII). Everything else is convoluted shit.

Also, fuck Mara Jade.
Yeah the good stuff will make its way back into canon, only Disney will chop it up, and shove it back in worse then it originally was. The Legends had a lot of shit, but you are joking yourself if you think Disneys bullshit isn't just as bad, if not worse convoluted shit. At least Legends respected the characters, and tried to tell cool and interesting stories.

Also, Mara Jade is badass. I'd absolutely fuck her.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nothing has been retconned. The old EU was never cannon.

Thank GOD for that:

(IG-88 transfers his mind into the Death Star II and there's a whole passage in the book where he messes with Palpatine and the elevator)

Last edited:

sol_bad

Thank GOD for that:

(IG-88 transfers his mind into the Death Star II and there's a whole passage in the book where he messes with Palpatine and the elevator)

LOL
What the hell is that? IG88 droids trying to take over the Death Star? OOOOOK

My biggest sadness is the destruction of Luke Skywalker in the new movies. It turned a life time SW fan into not caring about SW anymore. I even saw Rise of the Skywalker only once months after it came out where I saw AoTC twice in theaters. I imagined Luke is like how I read him in the past expnded universe. A badass Jedi master.

A badass jedi master who was fucking his sister. That woke ass George Lucas

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Legends had a lot of shit, but you are joking yourself if you think Disneys bullshit isn't just as bad, if not worse convoluted shit. At least Legends respected the characters, and tried to tell cool and interesting stories.

Did you even read Crucible? The final EU book?

It's terrible.

I'm not kidding, this is actual text from the book:
“After a moment, Luke looked back to his son.
“Ben, I’ve been away for months now. You’ve read the same Council reports that I have. Did you see anything to suggest that the Jedi Order can’t get along without me for a while?”
Ben furrowed his brow. “Well, no,” he said. “But … I still don’t understand it. You aren’t going all Yoda on me, are you?”

"going all Yoda on me". That book is TERRIBLE. 100x worse than how the characters were treated in the ST.

I own copies of every EU novel printed, including the young adult ones, and most people read the Zahn books and think all of it is like that. It's filled with absolute shit that people on te internet like to ignore and handwave for a stupid crusade to try to "restore" licensed fan fiction to "canon".

LRKD

Did you even read Crucible? The final EU book?

It's terrible.

I'm not kidding, this is actual text from the book:

"going all Yoda on me". That book is TERRIBLE. 100x worse than how the characters were treated in the ST.

I own copies of every EU novel printed, including the young adult ones, and most people read the Zahn books and think all of it is like that. It's filled with absolute shit that people on te internet like to ignore and handwave for a stupid crusade to try to "restore" licensed fan fiction to "canon".
Yes that is some cringe writing, and best left forgotten, but it isn't character assassination that we got in the sequel trilogy. I'm not arguing everything pre Disney should be cannon. We both know it wasn't even hard canon in the first place. I am arguing however, that Disney is waaay worse, they pick and pull random shit with no respect, and ruin all your favorite characters. And intergrade it all in sloppily into new cannon.

SgnpM9Z.png

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes that is some cringe writing, and best left forgotten, but it isn't character assassination that we got in the sequel trilogy. I'm not arguing everything pre Disney should be cannon. We both know it wasn't even hard canon in the first place. I am arguing however, that Disney is waaay worse, they pick and pull random shit with no respect, and ruin all your favorite characters. And intergrade it all in sloppily into new cannon.

SgnpM9Z.png

Snap farting >>> IG-88 transferring his mind into the Death Star just to punk Palpatine.

LRKD

Snap farting >>> IG-88 transferring his mind into the Death Star just to punk Palpatine.
I mean Snap and literally ever character present at the wedding farting and laughing like 5 year olds.

IG-88s end game of taking over the Death Star II was Galactic droid domination not punkin Palpatine for lolz.

I wanted to see the Jedi outcast 2 Luke. Him and Kyle Katarn. Seeing how Luke fails miserably according to Disney ruined any more interest I had in SW.

Tschumi

I wanted to see the Jedi outcast 2 Luke. Him and Kyle Katarn. Seeing how Luke fails miserably according to Disney ruined any more interest I had in SW.
For me, the sheer schizophrenia of the Disney movies ruined them for me.

Definitely prefer a world in which Luke exists in settings independent from the original trilogy, sure.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did the part of the Sequels taking place 35 years after ROTJ (and not 10 years like in Jedi Outcast) just fly over your head or something?

Top Bottom