• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your PlayStation allegiance may determine whether you can preorder a PS5

GamerEDM

Banned

No price or release date yet, but it's already a huge sidestep from retail partners.
Sam Machkovech - 8/26/2020, 4:11 PM
Enlarge / This credit card doesn't exist, but if it did, we're not sure it'd count as "previous interests and PlayStation activities" in terms of jumping the PlayStation 5 pre-order line.
Aurich Lawson / Getty Images

Want to be first in line to preorder PlayStation 5? In a rare move for a console's launch, Sony has led the charge by announcing a direct-sales program—one that bypasses typical retail channels—before the upcoming system's price, release date, or other details have been announced.

Starting today, prospective buyers can go to Sony's official preorder site to express their interest in purchasing a PS5. Users only need to enter one piece of information into the form: their PlayStation Network ID. And... that's it.

Before ordering, please answer 27 questions about Nathan Drake...
From there, Sony will determine exactly who will be deigned worthy of a shot at purchasing a PS5, and this will be based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities." Exactly what that information is, and how it will be weighted, is currently unclear. Years of membership? Number of games owned? Whether the account in question pays for subscription services like PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, or merely uses a wholly free PSN account? Sony has yet to clarify this point.

If you've been selected as part of Sony's direct pre-order program, you'll find out at some point (currently unknown) via an email sent to the address registered to your PSN account. (Hence, today would be a good day to double-check that address and other PSN profile information.) If you didn't get into Sony's preorder program, you won't receive the bad news in the form of an email or any other notification. And while PSN IDs from all over the world will be eligible for this program, orders will only work if they ship to US addresses. It's unclear whether Sony will roll out similar campaigns for other territories.

With that email, you'll be told the exact time window you have to place an order of a PS5 console, which can either be the standard version (with a disc drive) or the "Digital Version" (no disc drive). Sony has emphasized a limit of one PS5 console per PSN ID. Invited PSN users will also be able to directly order PS5 peripherals with their console, including DualSense controllers, headsets, cameras, media remotes, and controller charging stands. No peripheral bundle will be forced upon buyers in Sony's direct-sales program.

Sony's language implies, but doesn't quite confirm, that this PSN-related program will be the very first one in the world to offer PS5 console preorders. Meaning, Sony may beat typical retailers like Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy to the preorder party. It's another major blow to the usual retailer product chain, which was already disrupted by Sony giving fans the option of punting discs with the Digital Edition and buying all their games directly from PlayStation Network.

We're still waiting to hear exactly how much the console will cost and when it will begin shipping to customers and retailers, but other crucial details remain unanswered before a program like this rolls out. How much will all of PS5's peripherals cost—particularly the brand-new DualSense controller, which looks bulkier and adds more sensitive functions (particularly its haptic feedback system) than any previous first-party PlayStation gamepad? What kind of built-in capacity should we expect for the PS5's solid-state drive, and what requirements should we expect for add-on NVMe drives?
Which previously announced games will launch alongside the console? (So far, we only know about Spider-man: Miles Morales as a first-party PS5 game for 2020, but whether it will accompany the console's launch is still unknown. Comparatively, Microsoft originally announced Halo Infinite as a launch title for this year's Xbox Series X, only to pull back.)

Most of all, will fans know the price before this preorder program goes live, or will interested buyers have mere milliseconds to swallow the price tag before placing their preorder amongst a crazed mob of specially selected PSN users? Sony likely isn't incentivized to let anyone mull the price tag, considering how high we expect it will be—and third-party game publishers are already revving fans' wallets in the form of higher next-gen game prices.

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
how do you feel about this GAF? Sony will determine exactly who will be deigned worthy of a shot at purchasing a PS5, and this will be based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities. Exactly what that information is, and how it will be weighted, is currently unclear. Years of membership? Number of games owned? Whether the account in question pays for subscription services like PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, or merely uses a wholly free PSN account? Sony has yet to clarify this point.

Last edited:

Esca

Honesty it depends on shipping cost. I rather just get it at Amazon with my prime. I also know I'll get it on release day with Amazon. Never ordered directly from Sony so I don't know how they are. I got my ps4 at launch work Amazon and no issues

RCU005

be the very first one in the world to offer PS5 console preorders. Meaning, Sony may beat typical retailers like Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy to the preorder party

I don’t think so. Sony would be just another “retailer” to ship PS5 consoles. The only difference is that they are making it easy for true fans to pre order one.

My guess is that the PS5 will be available to pre order at every major retailer at the same time or very soon after (1-2 days later max).

I do believe, though, that the PS5 with disc drive will be as hard to get as the Switch Neon was, but not really impossible to get (if the rumors of the increased supply are true).

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

No price or release date yet, but it's already a huge sidestep from retail partners.
Sam Machkovech - 8/26/2020, 4:11 PM
Enlarge / This credit card doesn't exist, but if it did, we're not sure it'd count as "previous interests and PlayStation activities" in terms of jumping the PlayStation 5 pre-order line.
Aurich Lawson / Getty Images

Want to be first in line to preorder PlayStation 5? In a rare move for a console's launch, Sony has led the charge by announcing a direct-sales program—one that bypasses typical retail channels—before the upcoming system's price, release date, or other details have been announced.

Starting today, prospective buyers can go to Sony's official preorder site to express their interest in purchasing a PS5. Users only need to enter one piece of information into the form: their PlayStation Network ID. And... that's it.

Before ordering, please answer 27 questions about Nathan Drake...
From there, Sony will determine exactly who will be deigned worthy of a shot at purchasing a PS5, and this will be based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities." Exactly what that information is, and how it will be weighted, is currently unclear. Years of membership? Number of games owned? Whether the account in question pays for subscription services like PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, or merely uses a wholly free PSN account? Sony has yet to clarify this point.

If you've been selected as part of Sony's direct pre-order program, you'll find out at some point (currently unknown) via an email sent to the address registered to your PSN account. (Hence, today would be a good day to double-check that address and other PSN profile information.) If you didn't get into Sony's preorder program, you won't receive the bad news in the form of an email or any other notification. And while PSN IDs from all over the world will be eligible for this program, orders will only work if they ship to US addresses. It's unclear whether Sony will roll out similar campaigns for other territories.

With that email, you'll be told the exact time window you have to place an order of a PS5 console, which can either be the standard version (with a disc drive) or the "Digital Version" (no disc drive). Sony has emphasized a limit of one PS5 console per PSN ID. Invited PSN users will also be able to directly order PS5 peripherals with their console, including DualSense controllers, headsets, cameras, media remotes, and controller charging stands. No peripheral bundle will be forced upon buyers in Sony's direct-sales program.

Sony's language implies, but doesn't quite confirm, that this PSN-related program will be the very first one in the world to offer PS5 console preorders. Meaning, Sony may beat typical retailers like Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy to the preorder party. It's another major blow to the usual retailer product chain, which was already disrupted by Sony giving fans the option of punting discs with the Digital Edition and buying all their games directly from PlayStation Network.

We're still waiting to hear exactly how much the console will cost and when it will begin shipping to customers and retailers, but other crucial details remain unanswered before a program like this rolls out. How much will all of PS5's peripherals cost—particularly the brand-new DualSense controller, which looks bulkier and adds more sensitive functions (particularly its haptic feedback system) than any previous first-party PlayStation gamepad? What kind of built-in capacity should we expect for the PS5's solid-state drive, and what requirements should we expect for add-on NVMe drives?
Which previously announced games will launch alongside the console? (So far, we only know about Spider-man: Miles Morales as a first-party PS5 game for 2020, but whether it will accompany the console's launch is still unknown. Comparatively, Microsoft originally announced Halo Infinite as a launch title for this year's Xbox Series X, only to pull back.)

Most of all, will fans know the price before this preorder program goes live, or will interested buyers have mere milliseconds to swallow the price tag before placing their preorder amongst a crazed mob of specially selected PSN users? Sony likely isn't incentivized to let anyone mull the price tag, considering how high we expect it will be—and third-party game publishers are already revving fans' wallets in the form of higher next-gen game prices.

What a massively stupid and misleading take from Ars Technica. Looks like they manage to keep writing crap even without Ben Kuchera.

This is *only* to pre-order the console directly from Sony. There will be a gazillion of other ways to pre-order the PS5. Absolutely nowhere it says that you need to be selected in this promo campaign to be able to pre-order a PS5.

Sony's language implies, but doesn't quite confirm, that this PSN-related program will be the very first one in the world to offer PS5 console preorders.

No. It does not.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
SONY right now:

tenor.gif

Compsiox

Banned
Sony could probably bypass retailers completely in the US and just ship them directly to consumers. Their brand is big enough where people will search out PS5s online. Heck don't even sell the games at retail. It's just not necessary. Fuck retail.

Oh Sony-chan put your big slonker in me

Last edited:

Tschumi

So if i want to preorder a ps5, i need to register on their website.

Shock horror!

Well I'm covered at least~

This really leads me to believe that they will be looking for people that have large game libraries on their psn account meaning the people who get an invite to preorder won’t really give a shit about paying 700-800 for a console

good luck with that Sony

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I like it; if they do a decent percentage of their sales this way it should greatly cut down on degenerate scalping assholes.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's funny to see that almost a full page in, there's still plenty who believe this is accurate.

Let me reiterate. You do not need to take part in this campaign at all (or to have any PlayStation allegiance) to pre-order a PS5.

This is only for a limited quantity of pre-orders from Sony itself. There will be plenty of other retails with their own allocation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, actually, it's the consumers that decide whether the system is worthy of a preorder, but that's a cute marketing ploy, Sony.

I'll be leaving it on the shelf either way.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Haha imagine if its one of those market research surveys that’s looking for a specific answer and if not at the end you get the ‘sorry, you aren’t what we are looking for’ reply.

Meanwhile there will be hundreds of them on eBay for 10 times the RRP...

Interesting times.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Haha imagine if its one of those market research surveys that’s looking for a specific answer and if not at the end you get the ‘sorry, you aren’t what we are looking for’ reply.

Meanwhile there will be hundreds of them on eBay for 10 times the RRP...

Interesting times.
They call you up and bring you to a warehouse with 1000 other people. It's a death match. The last 200 to survive win the chance to preorder the PS5.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd better be guaranteed one in the UK if they do a similar scheme. I have about 200 digital titles tied to my PSN. Launch day 4 and Pro. If that dosnt qualify I don't know what will.

ZywyPL

Banned
Can't blame them if true, ideally if there will be supply shortages you want to send the consoles to people who spend shitloads of cash every single month, who will absorb all the initial costs of launching next-gen system, not to people who buy Fifa/Minecraft/Fortnite and play nothing else for the next 5 years. But kudos if you'll be able to get the PS5 only through their site, with limit to just one unit, this will prevent the awful practices we saw during PS4 launch where the supplies were short, so some people were buying 3/4/5 etc. consoles only to resell them at 500-600$.

Vroadstar

I could get it 100% but will STILL buy a series X first
LuLz

Everybody act surprised!

Xbox Series X can play gen7 games at 4k and improved performance unlike ps5.
MS is already light years ahead of sony.

I can wait a few months more for halo i mean who cares.
Sony has yet to show anything that doesn't look like a PS4 game using med-high pc settings.

AlwrPsB.png

INC

The amount of money I've spend on sony products over the years

Pricks should give me 1 free

ANIMAL1975

Why does this article sound like its trying to piss a lot of people off?
Because it's fuel for the warz:
What a nightmare.

You're only worthy of preordering if you do the PR and marketing for them by only saying good things about their product.

It's not enough to be a consumer, you also need to join their cult as well.
SONY right now:

tenor.gif
And this is Sony while facing competition.
I wonder what would happen once that competition exits the market, as many at Gaf wish so fervently.
It's funny to see that almost a full page in, there's still plenty who believe this is accurate.

Let me reiterate. You do not need to take part in this campaign at all (or to have any PlayStation allegiance) to pre-order a PS5.

This is only for a limited quantity of pre-orders from Sony itself. There will be plenty of other retails with their own allocation.
I'm afraid that you wasting your time my friend lol

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Wondering how many they'll actually have available at launch now. They expected to sell 10 million by March, but that doesn't seem feasible if they are doing this.

Resenge

Well, actually, it's the consumers that decide whether the system is worthy of a preorder, but that's a cute marketing ploy, Sony.

I'll be leaving it on the shelf either way.
Great! More of a chance I can get one. Hope more people follow your example. :messenger_sunglasses:

I was screwed at PS4 launch, didnt get a PS4 for a few weeks after launch because it was difficult find a place with stock and I didnt pre-order like a fool. I just thought I could stroll into a shop and buy one off the shelf. :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

how do you feel about this GAF? Sony will determine exactly who will be deigned worthy of a shot at purchasing a PS5, and this will be based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities. Exactly what that information is, and how it will be weighted, is currently unclear. Years of membership? Number of games owned? Whether the account in question pays for subscription services like PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, or merely uses a wholly free PSN account? Sony has yet to clarify this point.
It's a pretty basic way to avoid people register a bunch of inactive accounts to scalp pre-orders.
Plus, this is for pre-ordering from Sony specifically, in the US, you can just get it somewhere else.

I thought this was a joke OT, but I'm not sure now

J3nga

So what you have to be Playstation cultist to purchase sub $500 mainstream gaming hardware? This sounds like a shitty fan-fiction marketing campaign.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What a nightmare.

You're only worthy of preordering if you do the PR and marketing for them by only saying good things about their product.

It's not enough to be a consumer, you also need to join their cult as well.

Seems like the 10 million pre orders goes to Neogaf.

😂

Top Bottom